Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A charge rifle at level 1.
Perfectly balanced.

Can you rename the colony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Forest of Sorrow, anything that comes out of there will also make you sad

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

A charge rifle at level 1.
Perfectly balanced.

Can you rename the colony?

If you mean the empire created one, we can change the name of it

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Clearly for the sake of 'balance' and not totally to make sure that no one gets jealous of the totally awesome charge rifle it should be sold and used to finance settlement upgrades!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Hey OP, mind posting your mod list for this please?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Careful what you wish for...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The TRUE Rimworld experience

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Legion of Tuke'vast 3

So getting a pawn that just starts with a bunch of gear like this is pretty over powered, so I'm gonna fix that. With the character editor mod I can change a pawn however I like, including gear. I just alt click on the down arrows on the gear which will destroy the gear. Then on the bottom I click on Apparel+ and give Vichan a plainleather tunic and pants, like everyone else. I also change the color to her favorite color.

Then I can click on Equipment+ to give her a weapon, which will be a wooden recurve bow. Speaking of, I drop her medical to 12 and move her shooting up to 5

One more thing about our new recruit, she starts with "Health Level 4". I have a mod that adds a Kenshi like element where if a pawn gets beat up, they get tougher from it which gives them more health. By default it increases health by 10% per level, I'm gonna switch that down to 5%.

Oh god dammit :mad: Normally I'd just beeline fuses and not worry about this, but this isn't exactly a technologically advanced colony.

Ah yes, another raider opportunity. We will take their flesh AND their cherry!

.... Wait hold on.

Senrath, Chaos and Vichan all arrive at the farm and wait, hold on.

More manflesh!

In true raider fashion, Senrath has a set of torches on her belt. It only has 3 charges before needing to be recharged with wood. Sadly she didn't burn Kicks here. Was hoping to save the effort on cooking him!

Now even though the game said there was two workers here, this guy was the only hostile. Time to check out the buildings.

MEATS BACK ON THE MENU

I have Vichan capture and patch up Kick's wounds. The gibbets are all holding dead bodies, so Kicks here is gonna help haul them back to base! Well, after butchering them. I have Senrath deconstruct the battery and solar panel giving enough steel to build a butcher table (we get more meat using a table than butchering on the floor). Then Chaos butchers all the bodies

:sickos:

So there was a small issue I was having when it comes to food. I want fine meals cause it stretches food supplies out, however I need to make a set that contains human meat and one that doesn't. But the game doesn't differentiate meals with and without human meat in the stock counter, so if I made 10 fine meals without human meat, it'd also count for 10 meals with human meat. But thankfully I can rely on stir-fried meals, which are basically fine meals. Stir fries with human meat, fine meals without.

Well that is a problem. Or is it?

Even the Vox, now named HereticMIND, is spectating!

Hope our guests don't mind this execution. Two of who are Slaan's daughter and great aunt.

A bonus to public executions is that slaves who are attending will have their suppression maxed out, so Layla is being kept in line.

Oh my god, that name owns. The two melee people dual wielding hatchets is also pretty metal. I send out everyone besides Layla to take them on, one of the raiders has a bolt action though and outrange our archers

But thats ok, Chaos has a few tricks.

Didn't do quite as much damage as I hopped, but ideally the pain will make them miss more. Let's talk about Chaos' class, the Wayfarer. Usually they don't start with skills, but it seems the magic class extended mod gives them a few:

Explosive Satchel will chuck a grenade at the enemy

Lightning Satchel is effectively an EMP grenade

Haste will have the Wayfarer attack twice as fast

Scan will increase damage done to an enemy for some time

Medigel will increase healing rate and reduce infection chances

Painkillers will reduce pain and psychic sensitivity

Thermopills will give protection against extreme cold or heat

I dunno why it was decided that they should also get combat medic's skills. Then there is the main gimmick of wayfarer, they get buffs to abilities when you put points into certain skills. It can be things like the throw knife ability will be able to sedate prisoners, or thick skin damaging enemies when hit. Note that you can't just pick whatever buff you want, it all goes in a certain order so you'll have to put multiple points to get what you want

Isn't it funny that the one who was hit first, and had a grenade thrown at them no less, is the last one standing? They also get knocked down instead of killed so..

No need to feed or patch her up! If meat runs low I can always yank 'em out! Or hold them for slavery purposes later. I should get proper military equipment made and defenses set up before I go too wild getting more pawns in the colony.

Mood.

Oh thats cool, actual pawns show up and deliver stuff to your drop off points (I put them down in where the future storage area will be). Didn't get quite as much steel as I was expecting, but eh. Thats enough to get our melee pawns a shield!

To explain some more here, taxes/tithes happen every 5 days. When those 5 days is up you will have to go to the "bills" tab in the settlement menu. It'll give you an overview of what is happening and you'll have to click a button to have a caravan sent over to deliver the taxes/tithes. If the settlement has a negative income you'll have to pay before you can get your goods.

With the silver here and a little extra I got from some traders I can afford to build a Quarry at the settlement, which will give a +5 to base mining production. I do want to have the settlement increase its military, but I need it to make a decent profit. A barracks will require 150 silver in upkeep. It'll take 1 day for the Quarry to be up and running.

Oh dammit. Thankfully she has no weapons nor any armor. Vichan, KingDoom and Chaos are sent over to knock Layla down with their fists.

... Oh man, the more slaves rebel, the harder it will be to take them down in the future. Anyways she gets knocked down and Slaan just got a bunch of xp patching up all 14 bruises!

Now who is going to take care of the crops :mad:

Alright, who ordered delivery?

This guy is a Starseeker, which is a "fledgling mage with great potential" He gets prioritized for the barbed arrow.

Oh god what :supaburn:

I'm.. not sure what that did. Everyone walked away from it just fine.

Chaos tosses an explosive satchel at the cluster and manages to hit them all.

Starseeker over here was getting ready to cast another spell, I had Senrath phase strike to put an end to it. One of the raiders survives and is thrown into a casket.

Oh thats great, more mining from the mining settlement! Once the quarry finishes it has a modifier of 3.12. It can generate 362 profit off just one worker. Shoving all 8 workers will have a profit of 1500 silver. Thats if I don't tithe it. So I'm gonna go on ahead and sell the mining goods for the money to upgrade the settlement later.

Or I can build a second settlement, which will cost 1.5k....

Oh? What is this adorable thing?

I must tame it

This popped up and you know, we're good on meat. But we desperately need some wood.

The colony is coming along nicely, just really need a big chunk of wood to get everything built.

Oh dear god what the hell is that?!

Would be a useful animal to have if you're in a place that doesn't have any trees growing. And the traders are actually selling these, we could buy one! But I'll give it a pass. What we really need are some pack animals to haul all our stuff back to base.

Speaking of, that logging camp had some joints laying around. King finally gets their first hit!

And Chaos successfully tamed the Crystalmit! Now named Silentsnack, as it will.. silently snack on rocks! Besides that, they have a "rock loosening" timer that produces a single stone block. Er... thanks I think.

We seem to be getting raided more often, maybe I should get those watch towers set up sooner rather than later. This time two of the raiders survived, caskets are almost full!

Got a few injuries off that battle and I'm showing off something they added, pawns with bandages will have bandages on their body!

Oh god why? Super insectoids can just attack without needing to be in a cave?

There was a black splelopede that ran ahead and has a ranged attack that builds up toxin in a pawn. It was quickly surrounded and taken out. Now for this mammoth worm I have Slaan and Vichan shooting at it while King uses tomahawk to keep it moving slow.

While everyone else finishes off the downed insects, I send King over to destroy the mound. As a reward we get some black insect jelly, more nutritious than regular insect jelly. Also the bugs themselves offer black chitin that we can use for armor. Might be time to get up a tailor bench so I can make some leather armor.

Oh thats cool, our settlements can also send traders our way. So even if you were hostile against everyone, at least you can still get stuff from your settlements!

Actually, I wonder if this means we can also request reinforcements from them, when we get a console hub up.

Speaking of the settlement, taxes came in. I had money to both upgrade and build a barracks here. Its gonna take 4 days for it to fully upgrade.

Oh, oh dear :ohdear: I can't exactly butcher it, now can I? Guess I can throw it at the enemy.

A tailor bench is built and I have Senrath make boots out of the black chitin. Its strange that with as far as the game has gone and now has two expansions that you still need a mod to cover your colonist's feet and hands. Besides the protection bonus, these boots increase walking speed by .10.

Why make boots and not armor? I need 100 leather to make a leather armor. I can make 3 boots for 90.

Oh hey now, looks like holding prisoners in the caskets will be paying off! I yank one out of the caskets and give to the collector for 3 honor.

Eeer... yeah, ok. Rock on!

Oh King is gonna be happy with these. The most viking of things, smoking some cigs.

Is it unsportsmanlike to use gas arrows to take down multiple deer at once? Look, I need some armor dammit!

... Well thats just a sudden leap in raid difficulty, isn't it?

First thing I do is get Slaan over to use a barbed arrow at the first ranged pawn who happens to have the longest ranged weapon.

The bleeding out will cause them to eventually collapse. I also fire a few of the gas arrows to get the enemy pawns to vomit and not bother firing back while Slaan and Vichan shoot at them.

While that was happening I had King prioritize one of the watch towers and throw Slaan and Vichan inside once the enemy starts attacking. Those two were able to plink off the enemy one by one before melee is joined and caused the enemy to retreat. Don't know why I was worried!

By the way I got norse shields on our melee pawns and it made me realize how wack the costs are for stuff. It takes 60 wood to make a single shield... but only 5 wood to build a wall. There are 12 segments worth of wall in that shield!

The feasting hall is coming along nicely....

... As is the altar room. Now that we have a proper altar and pews our rituals will have a higher success rate. I'm slowly paving the altar with marble flooring, the only marble we're currently getting is from whatever ruins I deconstruct around the colony.

And now I believe its time to get things started with King's promotion! The representatives come in and head to the dining hall. Then we need to select King and click on the bestower

Oh man we have a cool bestower! Wasssuuuuup?

All hail KingDoom, Yeoman!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I demand my own fully chromed up Anima Collosus to ride to war. One with laser eyes. And Quad Plasma Cannons. And wings, if there's space.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So what are we going to do with a boom rat? Since our building are made up of wood.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Keep it as far away from the houses as possible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ChaosDragon posted:

So what are we going to do with a boom rat? Since our building are made up of wood.

Its fine, the colony is in a forest. It will be easy to rebuild!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Leal posted:

Its fine, the colony is in a forest. It will be easy to rebuild!

Coulda swore someone said they were low on wood earlier:thunk:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Rimworld is probably the 'best' - for my sensibilities - game that I've never bothered to actually learn.

I need to follow this. Who knows, maybe I even will.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Plenty of food now yummy yummy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Legion of Tuke'vast 4

Uh ok, sure just walk onto my land and hunt my animals. Thats not rude or anything.

What hold on wh-

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

And then, no poo poo, the game crashed right when a muffalo attacked the jackass with the incendiary launcher. Thats frustrating, I wanted to see this play out.

Wow, a promotion AND now a lover? Looks like King is moving on up! And this now means a house just opened up as they are gonna want to live together.

.... After I make a double leather bed of course. Couples want to sleep in the same bed together.

Oh hey, someone ordered delivery.

drat, so our settlements can be attacked, you didn't think it was all free money did you? Now there is an option to manually defend the place, but there is errors in generating a map which crashes the game. So I'm just gonna have to hope our defenders can manage to defend themselves.

Oh wow, game is just gonna give me a set of demon scales huh? Gonna put that towards some armor far later down the line... assuming any demons spawn.

Alright so I set up a bed and it turns out that the default physical love setting FORCES you to only allow beds shared with spouses and not lovers. So I turned on dev mode and switched it to "free". Having it set to "spouse" shows that there is a social penalty for two pawns to "perform acts of lust" with someone they aren't married to, but if you literally cannot have them share a bed then how does that happen?

Alright now that I finally got a throne up, lets talk about King's promotion. Psycasting requires psyfocus to use and to regain psyfocus your pawn must meditate. There are several different methods, you can build a meditation throne like what King is on, or set up meditation spots. You can set an amount of psyfocus you want your pawn to keep up on and they'll go meditate when its below this mark.

Whenever you use a psycast it will generate heat to the pawn, and if you let heat get too high up it'll cause the pawn to have a psychic breakdown that lasts several days. The ability that King got is painblock, which removes pain penalties for 3 hours, keeping a pawn in a fight. This ability is... eeeeh. If a pawn doesn't fall from pain, they're going to stand and fight until they die.

Now that King has a psylink, that persona sword would be good to throw on them right? Well... The problem is they're a warrior class, and their abilities can only be used if they are wielding an axe. Maybe next time we can gain some honor I can give it to Senrath and they can wield the sword.

Isn't this great? I save a whole room now :haw:

Pictured: Slaan researching in the same room while King and Chaos go at it. They get a +8 to mood that lasts three days for getting some lovin'. The wild thing is this bonus can stack, so after a few days your couples will have something like +24 pretty much permanently. And thats ignoring the +5 for just being in a relationship.

Oh and the mood bonus can be even higher if one of the pawns is pretty or beautiful.

Oh whew, I was on the edge of my seat there! Speaking of our settlement, the cooldown for the mercenary request is over and we did just have a house open up....

Meet BraveLIttleToaster A third person who can do medical is nice, but that 11 intellect will be really helpful. We still haven't finished that gas research! Also BLT here is apparently Vichan's sister.

I guess if you squint you can kind of see it!

I get up a second research bench and finally after 30 days we finish up research! I set up research for plate armor and long blades.

Around the map are these helixien gas geysers that spew out green gas occasionally.

Then you build up this here pump. This geyser was on our side of the river thankfully, closer too. This produces 300 units of gas. Now what can we do with this gas? Well first we need to build pipes for it to move it around. After that we can use them to power some buildings like a crematorium or smelters.

Or you can run the pipes to a gas generator to produce 1k MW of power. This uses up 25 units of gas, so each pump can provide enough gas for 12 generators. Uninterrupted power, no need to have a pawn refuel it, its all good. Assuming you can keep the pump safe of course.

Now that I'm getting more settled in its time for a new slave. Turns out Gaston here is also an android and hoo boy, look at those stats! And he is a chronomancer, which has some useful time based spells.

Just gotta be sure he doesn't revolt then, eh?

Oh dear god, not the bees

I'm just gonna give them a wide berth.

Gaston has been successfully enslaved. He only has two abilities right now as a chronomaster, reverse time and chronostatic field. All the abilities he could have though are...

Prediction can cause a future event to happen.

Alter Fate can stop an event that was predicted from happening. At a full 3 ranks it can also alter environmental events like fallout.

Accelerate Time will rapidly age its target. Items will break down into their base components. Hostile pawns will rapidly age and might develop age related problems like bad back.

Reverse Time will restore durability to items, makes food no longer rotten and can slowly de-age pawns. It can also reverse injuries and even the dead :ghost:

Chronostatic Field will freeze a pawn in place where nothing can effect them.

Recall will return the caster to a previous point in time. You need to set up a time marker to be recalled back into. Pretty much set up a marker and if your pawn gets their leg shot off, recall and bam, its back.

Not bad spells... but er... maybe not for a slave to have. Definitely not gonna give him accelerate time.

I then made a pair of slave collars for Gaston and Layla. These help reduce the deterioration of suppression on slaves. There is also a harness you can throw on them to help with this, but I'm low on leather. While these will make slaves lose suppression slower, if you were to put proper armor on slaves they will actually lose suppression faster.

As an aside, pawns with the masochist trait will love wearing slave collars and harnesses :v:

Are... are you loving making GBS threads me? Drop pods already?

Thankfully they're all spread out, and one just so happens to have landed directly in the middle of the colony.

After taking out that center pod, Senrath and BLT head west to take out this person who decided to bring EMP grenades to a colony of vikings.

Slaan and Vichan are popping shots at one raider while I send King and Chaos down to one further out.

Oh for gently caress's sakes! And then Senrath gets a molotov thrown directly at her face.

Huh, well there you have it. Dementia can be cured via counseling. As a bonus, after being torched Senrath leveled up once in the health skill.

Can you imagine being the person who takes the animal that can explode out for a walk?

Alright, I get that this is a colony that eats the flesh of their enemies but this is really starting to get silly.

Let's get silly back

In the settlement menu is a button for military. Clicking on it shows this menu here. As an aside, that question mark on the right? That should explain what the deal is with this menu?

I talk poo poo about how guides are annoying these days because wikis seem to have died out and its all youtube video guides where you hear someone beg you to like, comment, subscribe and donate to their patreon for 5 minutes before actually talking about the subject of a video. But a help window in a loving game? Seriously? Is there where we are at now? I guess its better than a "Join our discord to find out more!" that is gaining traction.

Anyways, where we will want to start is the "Create Units" menu.

There we can design a unit by selecting what gear they can use. You can pick anything that you have researched. You also pick what material it is made out of and this all adds up to a cost for the unit.

After making however many units you want, you then move over to Create Squads and make your squad. You name it and then you can put in however many units you want up to 30. But there is that cost thing. Your settlements can only field a squad that they can afford, and the allowance is based on your settlement's military level. So with a military level of 2 we can make a squad that has 2 units with plainleather armor and a seax.

Now going back to the Designate Squads menu, three images up, we can then choose where the squad will serve. The Deploy Squad button will let you move the squad. Say to your base.

Wow look at that, I explained the menu in like half a combined paragraph :geno:

Now we can call on our squad to support the colony. The penalty to this is that the squad wont be defending the settlement while they're here. And once we send them home they wont be useable for 5 days, including the inability to defend the settlement for some reason.

You can't directly control the squad, but you can point them where to move and who to attack. So I'm gonna move them in the middle of the colony to help out when the enemy moves in.

Also these reinforcements have this gigantic mood bonus.

gently caress, one of the raiders had grenades and they got Slaan good. The reinforcements help keep the raiders from closing in on Slaan and Vichan. Oh and where is BLT during all this? Trading at a settlement :v:

... Well, they WERE defended until this guy decided to just teleport up to Vichan.

But hey, the reinforcements were there to help out. And then I send them home and don't have to worry about patching them up!

Like I get it, it goes against the way the game is made when you can just bring in units to help in a fight and not worry about the aftermath. But the AI started it first!

I have Gaston use reverse time on Slaan and it completely healed all their wounds! No one patches all wounds like Gaston!

Oh... well that is a problem. The attack is in 1 day, the military wont be ready for 2.5 days.

Apparently the citizens are so distraught they started taking up drugs. Investigating the drug trade will reduce taxes by 10% for some time.

:saddumb:

This shot down the settlement's loyalty and dropped the prosperity to 80%, meaning our settlement is now only providing 80% of the resources. We need more military power

For 1.5k silver, I can put up a second settlement. This one is in a temperate swamp which gives a bonus to medical, with a bigger bonus to animals. So the animals are going to be for selling while I tithe the medical supplies. For now I can tithe herbal medicine, I'm assuming as I research proper medicine I can also get that. Besides that I can also tithe for prosthetics.

I'll also mention here, this settlement is even further out than the first one. Besides taking longer to be built, the tax caravan will also take longer to deliver its goods.

Oh hey that cannibal platter? Its finally time!

Even the slaves get in on the devouring of manflesh. They absolutely hate it with a -12 to mood for it.

The ritual was a success and we get a venerated animal showing up on the map. It doesn't join the faction though, we still need to tame it. It has a 35% chance to attack on a failed attempt Chaos has a 27% chance to tame :ohdear:

Oh and the floor is absolutely coated in blood after the feast.

You loving what?

Talking mad poo poo for someone in spear range!

Oh god not the eyes! Thankfully Gaston can just reverse time and Chaos' eyes completely heal up!

Oh gently caress. The drake just about kills Layla before she finally collapses. Gaston rushes over to reverse time and get her back up.

The drake gets downed and I have Vichan patch it back up. It lives enough to be tamed another day!

Thankfully the vicious attack by the drake didn't traumatize Layla and she successfully tames a muffalo. We need a pen for the muffalo, but I can buy myself some time by sending it out on a caravan to offload some of this raider crap.

:sigh:

This time the drake dies in combat.

I get the pen set up for the muffalo. The muffalo will eat the haygrass that is currently growing, After building a pen marker you can see how much nutrition is in the pen and how much is required for animals inside of it.

Your animal handler will take any animals that need to be penned to the pen. I'll build up a hayloft to store hay in the pen. I also have to do an early harvest as winter is starting to hit.

Almost got all my houses built... on this side of the river at least. Still need to get all those watch towers up, then the bridge to the other side of the river. Still behind when it comes to electricity, steel shortage is preventing me from building up lights and other electrical buildings. But everything is still working out pretty good in the colony.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nice of the pirates to drop off lunch like that.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Leal posted:

Legion of Tuke'vast 4

Uh ok, sure just walk onto my land and hunt my animals. Thats not rude or anything.

What hold on wh-

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

The one time I had this event they went boomalope hunting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

namehereguy posted:

The one time I had this event they went boomalope hunting.

Clearly they wanted to cause a bunch of explosions to welcome in the new year if my city last night was any indication!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I don't think you should trust any android Chronomancer named Gaston Colon, even if you're keeping them as an injury reversal slave. That's an up-to-no-good trifecta right there.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BraveLittleToaster posted:

I don't think you should trust any android Chronomancer named Gaston Colon, even if you're keeping them as an injury reversal slave. That's an up-to-no-good trifecta right there.

I think the Androids species copypastes surgeries from the base humanlike template, so since the modlist also includes QEE it should be possible to nerve-staple them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Not sure how I feel about all this slander towards my friend Gaston

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Boss what prevent someone burning our wood building?

How many kill have we gotten?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ChaosDragon posted:

Boss what prevent someone burning our wood building?

By killing them before they can do it :eng101:

quote:

How many kill have we gotten?

Going off collective kill records, 31. This isn't counting the people taken prisoner and executed.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Now how many crimes against humanity have we commited? I fear we may be slacking on that front

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Godna posted:

Now how many crimes against humanity have we commited? I fear we may be slacking on that front

Cannibalism and keeping people in indefinite confinement for future cannibalizing/enslavement purposes don't count?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Legion of Tuke'vast 5

I need to be more active in converting our slaves. I'm tired of getting the mental break warnings because Layla and Gaston hate absolutely everything about our ideology.

For some reason conversion requires laying the convertee onto the altar, not unlike a sacrifice.

This shot Layla's convictions to 40%. Annoyingly I cannot set Senrath to auto convert, I need to make sure to manually have her try to convert Layla every 3 days. It takes 20 days for the conversion ritual to refresh as well.

Would've been nice to have this two days ago :mad:

I was able to request another mercenary, meet CalamitousJustice. They are KingDoom's sister. Having an extra crafter on hand will be useful, as well as someone who can actually use their artistic skill. Tough is also always nice to have.

And they're so excited about the first snow of winter!

This is the second time this has happened, our first settlement has been stuck with a 10% tax penalty ever since the event first popped. And then our second settlement has been attacked by an attacking force with a strength of 4. It has a defence value of 0. This is starting to get frustrating, its like I have to focus entirely on military. Really should've picked the defense trait instead of the raider trait, I can't even send my military out cause I'm being attacked all the drat time!

Unsurprisingly the defense failed and the medicine farm I built there (.25 medicine) was destroyed. Oh and prosperity dropped so now the place is making less money, and wont be able to afford a defense force.

New quest from the Empire, and hey I can get some honor thrown at Senrath.... Except I realize their abrasive trait will make them demand certain privileges, including refusing to do certain labor. I instead have the honor go to Calamitous.

The shuttle crash lands and we can deconstruct it. Frustratingly the empire units are not controllable and just hang around the shuttle instead of going into the safety of the colony.

Wow, I'm sure the crash landed units can handle this all by themselves. But I want that skill gain.

... Alright I can see why they need help. They're dumbasses who don't understand the concept of "let the enemy come to you" and just charge on ahead.

:stare: I... I have no loving clue what just happened here. One of the hostile pawns did some ability and just instantly killed this trooper. Frustratingly they are equipped with a death acidifier bionic, which melts ALL OF THEIR GEAR.

So...Gaston recently hit rank 3 in Denial for the Reverse Time spell...

No one revives the dead like Gaston! Bet you're regretting having that death acidifier, now you have no clothes!

Aaaand the empire just leaves without giving me the chance to haul their recently resurrected friend to the shuttle. Well this is awkward, guess she is gonna just walk naked back to the nearest Empire settlement.

Deconstructing the shuttle got us some plasteel, not bad. Sadly there wasn't enough honor to get Calamitous to Yeoman and get a psylink. When the wounded trooper leaves we get relations to 24. Not bad!

Well good thing the majority of the colony is female. But yeesh, for Gaston this reduces his conciousness, moving, manipulation, talking and eating to 50%. I'm gonna have to take this out sooner rather than later, what use is a slave that works at half efficiency?

Urg, dammit. This is why you need to check what raiders drop. I had all these joints and you decide to take a drug that keeps you awake, shortly after you already woke up, wasting it :argh:

Well thats rude. Whats neat is that there is now an extra statistic when you look at gut worms in the health tab. It'll show x/300%, so now you know you need to use medical supplies to heal it.

... What in the actual gently caress. I cannot keep up with the strength that these auto-resolve only raids are putting out. Our first settlement is rank 2 with a barracks and adventurer's guild and that only provides 3 military. I can't even wait to get taxes in to pay for more military cause I get attacked on each cycle, which causes the income to drop, which means it takes longer for me to build a drat barracks!

Clearly I should've picked the pacifist civic so I wont lose any loyalty when these raids I cannot defend against happens.

Oh jeeze, I have the slaves mine for steel and a wolf decides its time to attack.

I use chronostatic field to keep the wolf in place while Kingdoom and Senrath head over to take care of the wolf once it breaks out.

I think its time to use our military for something besides being a punching bag. Clicking on other settlements we get this attack button. We can try to capture the settlement which will add it to our empire, raid it for loot or, thanks to our authoritarian, capture slaves. I'm going for some loot, we need the silver to get these settlements to have some defenses.

Spoilers: The raid fails :shepface:

No one commits high treason like Gaston :mad:

Dear god I'm so sick of this event! After causing so many issues for so long that drat drug ring is going down!

I take my frustration out on someone from the casket. Everyone was getting ansty about no recent executions. This reward just changes the weather to sunny for some time. The colonists are also getting upset about no recent conquest so...

I'm glad this guy is loving the grass here :)

The logging camps and other such raid targets are starting to have more than 2 people staffing them. The rewards are also increasing, even with a muffalo to haul stuff and with 4 pawns active I still couldn't haul all the wood home.

Uh.. wow, rude? Anyways what these are two are doing besides insulting one another is sowing flowers around an apiary. Once there are enough flowers bees will start producing honey. And of course with honey comes mead.

Well... if it wasn't as cold as it is right now.

Jesus loving Christ. It really is tempting to just stop bothering with this settlement. As of right now the place is produce a mere 98 silver. After the defense fails (surprise!) the palce has -1 loyalty, 50 prosperity and simply cannot turn a profit. Its a completely useless settlement.

I got some proper plumbing set up for the colonists. Finally, hot showers! For those that didn't read the last LP, this part of Dub's Bad Hygiene. On the left, near the AC units, is a well and an electric powered pump. The well taps into water, the pump actually lets the water be moved around. To the right of those is a water tower that stores up water. In the building on the right, starting on the bottom is a hot water tank that stores heated water. Up top is a log boiler that will generate 2k heating in exchange for logs. There are several other methods to heat up water, but for now this will work fine. To the right of the boiler is a thermostat that'll set how hot the water should be. I can build water heaters that use up water temp to heat up a room, this means the heating system can be independent from power and will continue working ifwhen a solar flare happens.

I also start putting individual bathrooms in each house. You can link bathrooms to different beds and that will increase the rest rate of the bed its linked to. Also using stall doors will not split a room, so King and Chaos got a pretty big house to themselves here.

THE HEAVENS DELIVER A FEAST!

And Wheeler here has some skill in mining, which is something I'm looking for. Also I get to make Wheeler from Captain Planet jokes. Instead of enslaving her ASAP, I'm first gonna have her converted while being imprisoned.

Speaking of gifts from heaven, a "gray" ship chunk dropped. Deconstructing this yields silver instead of steel.

Now that the gut worms are finally taken care of, I set up a war party of King, Slaan, Chaos, BLT and Calamity to take out the psychic suppressor. There are quite a few things here on the outside of a building, a tick mechanoid which is from a mod, a slug thrower and a countdown timer.

There is also a proximity sensor with a sizeable radius.

I set up just outside the range of the sensor and start attacking the wall.

Inside is the suppressor. I think I may have way over prepared for this. Ah well.

Oh well this is an interesting bit. Maybe something we can find out more of in a more technologically advance playthrough? But for this playthrough, they're worth 350 a pop! I swipe up the steel, plasteel and components and take off.

Alright, I have upgraded this place 3 times. For a total over 5 thousand silver. I have a barracks, 250 silver, and an adventurers guild for 500 silver, and I cannot hit the rank 5 military that keeps attacking me unless I get rid of one of my other buildings, which is currently the only way I'm managing to make a profit. And thats assuming the game just doesn't make the attacks a rank 6 military. Its like I need to make multiple settlements and just focus on military for them and have them reinforce one another.

So let's try something... the second settlement is just hosed. Instead I'm gonna make a third settlement (this one costing 2k silver) and placing it here, on a gelatinous superorganism. All part of the Alpha Biomes mod, maybe a more exploratory playthrough will see what one of these look like! Anyways look at that production modifier, a solid 2 times multiplier to food. I'm positive that all items will sell for the same amount, all that matters is the modifiers. So even selling as simple as food will have this place generate more money than selling animals or minerals.

It'll take nearly 2 days to settle... which means thats how long it'll take to get our taxes from them.

And here we are, once again for the yearly execution. Yep, its been a full year of the colony :toot: I'm not even mad that BINIA IS BEING ATTACKED AGAIN! I'm glad I went and built a new settlement instead of trying to upgrade Binia!

Anyways, at this point in the colony our colonists are complaining that the altar is being disrespected as it does not have any columns built in that room. Well good news, I had the mining settlement send over marble blocks as a tithe and they supplied us with a whopping 750 blocks!

Look at it all! I need to make another warehouse, or at least start building a bunch of pallets.

No... One... Rebels like Gaston

Gets beat down like Gaston

Gets put back in his place like Gaston :byodood:

Now the altar room is all set up, with rune columns that thankfully count for the column requirement. Now is the time to try and get Layla to finally convert to the faith. This takes her to 0% of her belief... but doesn't convert her? And then she starts immediately gaining certainty back into her religion.

..... Wheeler managed to completely escape. I am so pissed, I needed someone who was good at mining dammit!

Which makes me ecstatic that when I requested a mercenary it sent me SomeoneAwful here!

Finally Layla has been converted. Now she'll stop having break risks.

The feasting hall finally has its flooring put down. This is fine wooden flooring that not only was very expensive (a whopping 20 wood per tile) but also takes a very long time to build. But now its an extremely impressive throne room and feasting hall. I've also set up a medicine cabinet in the room to hold joints and soon I will start putting up some extra recreational stuff. I'm surprised I haven't had a complaint over only having the horseshoe as the only recreation in the colony.

Also I think I've neglected to mention that I've been setting up sandstone flooring around the sections between the houses. Not just for movement speed but to also serve as a fire wall. Everything is working perfectly nor-

-al....?

:stare:

Holy poo poo you can mount them

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I knew that wily Gaston was up to no good, the signs of the trifecta were there.

On a positive note, free badass friendly ripper hound, woo.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Question hey boss should we pull out of Binia since it getting attacked often?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ChaosDragon posted:

Question hey boss should we pull out of Binia since it getting attacked often?

It wont cost anything to keep it but not working anyone, and I don't think there can be multiple attacks at once. So as long as they're attacking that place, the other two can be left alone to generate money and expand :v:

BraveLittleToaster posted:

I knew that wily Gaston was up to no good, the signs of the trifecta were there.

On a positive note, free badass friendly ripper hound, woo.

Shame this isn't the playthrough where I'm getting a genome of everything!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nobody pets ripper hounds like Gaston? :sun:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I WANNA HUG THAT RIPPER HOUND

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

HereticMIND posted:

I WANNA HUG THAT RIPPER HOUND

THE GOODEST BOY

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm here and ready to die for the colony :buddy:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Legion of Tuke'vast 6

I had some hops grown and have built a brewery to make wort. Up top is a single fermenting barrel to turn it into beer. I'm thinking once I get to the other side of the river I'll have a proper greenhouse and brewery set up. Well, this is a fairly warm area (note that there was no snow in any of the screenshots last update, there was only a light dusting a snow before it stopped all together) so maybe I can do without the greenhouse. Just make the other side of the river one large farming area.

Yeah this will work out. There is even the first helexien geyser that'll be within our little farming section. There will be a bunkhouse there for two guards, when I get more recruits.

Its gonna cost over 500 wood to build a single tile wide bridge over. I want the bridge to be 3 wide :shepface:

I got a bunch of cloth from growing some cotton and had a pair of gloves made for everyone, been lacking in protecting the hands. Did you know that cloth armor was rather effective? Sure stuff could go through it, but you're talking about taking the tip of a blade into your flesh compared to it going several inches inside of ya!

I should probably address the human skin wearing elephant in the room. Human skin sucks as clothing material. The skin I'm getting is being turned into hats and sold.

I got microelectronics researched and drat, this is a bit of an issue. I forgot how huge the hi tech research benches are, not even accounting for the multi analyzer and any other buildings that need to be attached for further research. Thankfully the two houses that I have a bench in have some extra space around them so I can expand them a bit.

I decide I want to get a bunch of bear leather to make clothing out of. Its one of the better leather we can get in this biome that is more common than getting thrumbos. Also what viking isn't wearing bear skin?

Also I forgot to bring those people from the shuttle crash in to be devoured and now they're rotten :negative:

I guess the extra animal meat will be good for Gaston's meals. Speaking of meals, I have Layla making cannibal bakes with the flour I had growing on the side. This can stretch out meat and produce even further, though the meals are less filling than regular meals. Should I talk about food stuff? No, read the last LP :argh:

The short of it is cooking food makes a meal that is worth more nutrition than what was used to make it, with fine meals being the best ingredient to nutrition ratio. Lavish meals result in less nutrition than what is put in, but it provides a bigger mood bonus than lavish meals provide (normal meals provide no bonus, beyond the fact you don't get a penalty for eating raw food). With the Vanilla Cooking Expanded mod we can make gourmet meals which are even more wasteful nutrition wise, but provide a bigger mood bonus and even a perk depending on whatever condiment is used.

Welp, it finally loving happened. Rank 6. For me to be able to match this I will need to either upgrade the settlement again (this time costing FOUR THOUSAND silver), or to remove the quarry and logging camp, aka what is making the place money in the first place, and put military buildings in there... which will also have a silver upkeep. I really have no idea how the mod creator expects you to keep up with this and still manage to pull a profit.

When it unsurprisingly fails to defend itself the logging camp got destroyed. Now that I have an open spot lets look at my options for building up the military. There is the 4 thousand to upgrade the settlement, which I cannot afford. For 1k silver I can build an in-house merc company which will... still not get me to the rank 6 military, will run me 200 silver per tax period AND give me a 10% tax penalty! The other option is to build an artillery outpost... for 2k silver. And will run 300 silver per tax upkeep.

... did they just expect that you would manually defend your base and forgot to make any changes when that function started making the game crash?

In better news, we can start a series of quests that will lead to us getting one of our relics. I'll accept and then wait for more events to fire off.

See, look at that. Gaston is everyone's friend! He is especially good at socializing!

God imagine waking up next to this :stare:

Here is something I had researched for a while but couldn't decide where to place it. This is part of the RimForge mod which lets us make some alloys using this forge. The forge will need to have heat generated by building a heater on the left and/or the right side of it. In this case I have a single wood heating element which gets the forge up to 900F. I need to get a second one though as bronze requires 1,652F. There is a chemfuel heater that provides more heat. There is also an electric one that requires a lot of power, and I don't quite got that yet.

To make bronze we need copper and tin ores. There is plenty of tin around the area, but I'm not finding any copper. Gonna have to keep an eye out for that, but once I can get this going that means I wont have to worry about using steel for stuff, as bronze is usually better than steel. In this game. Yes I know that isn't how it actually works.

Ooh now this is something I'm interested in. I set up a war party with King, Slaan, Senrath, Chaos, BLT and Gaston to check it out.

Why would you two do this right now? King now has a whopping -18 to a rejected proposal. Just to touch up about how wack the relationship mechanics are that is as much of a mood penalty as a fiance dying. Oh and it lasts TWENTY FIVE DAYS.

Thinking I was over prepared again. Ah well

I have Chaos destroy the spike trap leading into the room while everyone else mercilessly destroy Skunkslayer over there.

Chaos opens up the crypto casket and out leaps someone with a crypto hatchet, helmet and armor. These are reward only items that we cannot make ourselves. The armor is pretty good armor in itself, but it also has a buff that will precent bleeding out in pawns. The axe will inflict hypothermia in whoever it hits.

Sadly the viking is killed and the clothing is marked as tainted. Also they had some good mining skill, with a flame. Hrmm.....

No one reverses removing tainted apparel via resurrecting the wearer like Gason!

Also King took the axe. While it doesn't count as a noble weapon for whatever reason, it isn't a despised weapon either.

No one cleans the colony like Gaston!

Once Gaston gets over his episode I have him take Bami's armor off and then use reverse time on them to fix them back up to 100%. So there is the issue of who gets to wear this armor. Clearly King is the leader... which is exactly the problem, they will want to wear certain clothing after getting more ranks

Also would YOU trust such high value armor on someone who collapses from some slight food poisoning?

Jeeze you miss out on ONE meal and suddenly someone thinks its ok to torch the colony! Joke's on her though, its currently raining. Weirdly enough I cannot arrest her, I can't even conscript someone and move them over to arrest her.

Anyways congrats to Senrath who gets the armor. SomeoneAwful gets their hand-me-down- armor and helmet, after Gaston fixes them up.

Speaking of, no one works as quickly as Gaston!

Feeling like my decision on who gets the armor was the correct one. Have fun binging on the single ambrosia we have!

Well, I'd gladly protect you but if you wanna be demanding about your lodgings then good luck with your political enemies!

Oh hell yeah, found some copper in that little hill next to the colony. Time to get some bronze.

And speaking of armor, now that King is finally active I can show off this bearskin jarl cloak that I made for them. They wouldn't be able to wear this with the crypto armor.

Yep.... was fully expecting this. Have I mentioned before about how colonists are absolute shitheads to one another, which is why I didn't care much last LP that there was no in colony romance? This is why.

Also by the way, King proposed to Chaos and got refused. Then Chaos proposed to King who refused. I get that this is anime as hell but does it need to play out like a crappy anime romance plot?

What better time to have a fiesta? I need more meat. Also the mood boost should keep king from flipping out so soon after a break up.

Whats that, more manflesh? That flashstorm psytrainer would be hilarious once we start getting sieged....

Oh... oh man. Vichan, let me tell you about the concept of "rebound". I'm sure King wont mind me taking the double bed out of their place...

Er... how the gently caress do you die to an injury that was already patched half a day ago? Just had Gaston come over and reversed time on them. Annoyingly I'll have to do the role change ritual with Senrath again to make them first eater.

Starting to get some bronze made and its cool how this is animated. You see copper and tin slowly go down towards the mold cast where they combine into bronze.

Oh well this is good. And there is manflesh to be had? I'm gonna hold off until I get some of this bronze used up. Also when Senrath recovers from their delayed death, and for King to get over their wake up withdrawl. Speaking of, guess who passed out again :v:

drat, what did you do that your political enemies went and paralyzed you?

I accept it with Calamitous, so they can become a yeoman and finally use that sword. Mael here will be safe and sound at the outer edge of the colony.

Bami has now "joined" the colony. Whats great is that even though they're a pyromaniac and thus wont fight fires, they will as a slave.

The first of what will be many bronze chain mail shirts is given to Chaos. They give a good chunk of defense (59.8% sharp and 80.5% blunt) for a skin layer piece of equipment. One I get everyone in a pair of chain mail I'll start making armor that goes on the middle/outer layer.

I finally attack that bandit base and it seems like our royal guest has some unsavory family members. Good they're paralyzed or they would surely have a mood break once we butcher their family members and eat them

Wait why are these guys here?

Uuuuh... ok if you guys want to do the jobs yourselves while I take the credit for it all?

Especially if ya'll are going to be firing your smoke launchers into melee :argh:

... Yeah, these loving assholes would show up when half the colony is out. But thats fine, remember how I've been increasing the military at our settlements?

Let's see how YOU like it when I can magic up units that I do not care if they die :argh:

Suddenly things aren't so lopsided!

Kingdoom uses Holmgang and then upheaval to damage a bunch of the enemies who insist on rushing the archers.

The reinforcements will help ensure our enemy's blood will water our crops.

Gonna use the slaves to body block the enemies who really want to fight the archers.

STAND AND FIGHT!

And thank gently caress for that. Calamitous lost a lot of health, Vichan took a few nasty blows and Gaston even got downed, but KingDoom used their block pain ability to get them to stand back up. Bami lost a finger during the fight. Guess who wasn't wearing gloves?

And wow, all 7 of the reinforcements (well, there was the other 2 who decided to come in on the other side of the map who were too late to be of any use) are still standing.

gently caress

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Oh my loving god, the game assigning any table as a gathering spot by default has lead to a feast starting at the slave bunk and not at the feast hall properly :negative:

:shepface:

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
What a lovable bunch of nutty vikings, spitting on conventional social constructs left and right. And the love spats are spicy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Who needs marriage when you have manflesh

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Slaan posted:

Who needs marriage when you have manflesh

:emptyquote:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I foresee this LP ending when Gaston rewinds time to the beginning of the LP. No one makes time loops like Gaston!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Should someone clean up the kitchen since everyone seems to get gut worms?