Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Seriously.

It’s a nativity story.

It’s incredibly well paced and structured.

The one take scenes arent just showing off- it’s all in service of taking what would be a “gently caress yeah!” scene in an action movie and turning it into “gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress” The tension builds but there’s no release valve.

Also Clive Owen is great in it and this movie is why I will watch basically anything he’s in.

Anyway this movie is 15 years old today. If you haven’t seen it- watch it. If you have seen it- watch it with someone who hasn’t so you can experience their reactions to seeing it the first time vicariously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEB2n-czwss

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I watched this movie for the first time on a New Year's Eve and it is a very good movie and also ruined the entire night would recommend A+

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Children of Guys

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Its a Christmas movie? If so then yea totally

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yutes of Mandem

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Seriously.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

That was me watching the DVD of this that I got from the bad McDonald's redbox down the road, viewing on a lovely computer monitor in the 300 dollar a month studio apartment in my alcoholism days, just letting my cigarette burn down because I was agog at that specific part in the car backing away scene, just, MAN

All the details of my life are very vivid outside of that moment in the movie, it's been a long time since a movie struck me like that

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I get depressed enough on Christmas, are you trying to send me into some kind of darkness spiral

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed this movie when it came out but I don't really have any desire to revisit it.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I rewatched this recently and it still holds up despite the heavy Bush-era overtones. I also realized the dreadlocked douchebag guy is played by Charlie Hunnam. One thing that hasn't aged well is the cgi newborn. Probably the most realistic preview we have of the sociopolitical havoc global warming is going to wreak in the coming decades, even though global warming isn't the factor that upends society in this story.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The scene where they're on the bus going through the refugee camp and their handler gets taken off and black-bagged is absolutely horrifying.

Also lmao yeah Hunnam as the incompetent wook freedom fighter is hilarious. I can't remember if he gets gunned down in the street, or makes it into the apartment building and gets blown up by a tank round?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

I get depressed enough on Christmas, are you trying to send me into some kind of darkness spiral

Yes.

Floodixor posted:

at that specific part in the car backing away scene, just, MAN

I like how Theo lights a shitload of cigarettes through the movie but never gets to finish a single one. Best example is after they bury Julian after that part and he starts one, absolutely loses his poo poo crying, and then is interrupted because they have to leave.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its actually Home Alone 1 and 2

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its actually Home Alone 1 and 2

Does Kevin kill a guy with a car battery in one of those or is it that Children of Men?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
now i have a machinegun BITCH

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

The scene where they're on the bus going through the refugee camp and their handler gets taken off and black-bagged is absolutely horrifying.

Also lmao yeah Hunnam as the incompetent wook freedom fighter is hilarious. I can't remember if he gets gunned down in the street, or makes it into the apartment building and gets blown up by a tank round?

Isn’t he blown in half in the apartment leading up to the “CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRING!” scene or is that the other guy?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think you're right, but can't recall exactly. It's definitely Chiwetel Ejiofor who gets blown up by a tank round, but I don't remember much else around that scene apart from how absolutely emotionally wrecking it is when the baby starts crying and everyone just stops fighting, only to start back up again a moment later.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I know what a child is like. I can't i,magine what potty trainging is like.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

I think you're right, but can't recall exactly. It's definitely Chiwetel Ejiofor who gets blown up by a tank round, but I don't remember much else around that scene apart from how absolutely emotionally wrecking it is when the baby starts crying and everyone just stops fighting, only to start back up again a moment later.

Ohhh wait IIRC he’s executing people in the street and then gets shot out of nowhere as poo poo continues to hit the fan

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mister Speaker posted:

Dies in the apt from gunfire from the soldiers outside.

Recently rewatched and while grim forgot they did include some upbeat notes. After the baby is born they take shelter in an apt in the refugee camp and the elderly woman is able to dote on the baby and gives fresh fruit to Kee, probably not easy to get.

Possibly best world building in a film, especially showing how self defeating the government policies are. In Theo’s office many of the work stations are under dust covers as they probably can’t staff properly or replace anyone who leaves, and one of the Fishes who is a refugee clearly has advanced medical training (at the farm) but nope zero tolerance.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd3HvOpnoeo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Possibly best world building in a film

Two things always stood out to me:
-the graffiti and newspaper bits
-the whole “gently caress this, why bother” attitude of the entire world. I have never seen a movie where everyone who is not involved in the main plot is that level of checked out. Not in a bad way, not like the extras didn’t give a poo poo, but the opposite. No one sees any future so they’re all in that same kind of attitude you had if you were 25, unemployed, and didn’t see any option for things to get better… but there’s no one under like 30 in the movie. Everyone in even the background sells the poo poo out of the overwhelming despair of the setting.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Dude, where's my child?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Scrunch your toes if you feeling wasted. drat good advice.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
genuinely one of the greatest movies of all time but is it set during christmas?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I recall watching it and not being very impressed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beartaco posted:

genuinely one of the greatest movies of all time but is it set during christmas?

They spend some time with a fun grandpa and then are either explicitly drunk or miserable, so probably.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That child? Jesus. And those men? Why it's the old man an the holy ghost themselves!

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Excellent movie that also made for a terrible date movie.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
More like Man Children amirite?

I understand that it did a lot of technically great things with the screentime it had but I bounced off of it hard. I think if it hadn't been super hyped up to me before I watched it I might not have been disappointed by it.

...yippee kay yay, motherfuckers.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 25, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vernii posted:

Excellent movie that also made for a terrible date movie.

I think it somehow manages to top talking about your idea for an NFT and making GBS threads your pants at dinner as far as mood killers go.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I got the book it was based on expecting more Children of Men goodness, because what book is worse than the movie. Turns out this one is. It’s so bad I can’t even figure out how someone read it and was like “we gotta make a movie out of this.” As I recall it ends with the main character taking a ring from the evil Prime Minister, and because he has the ring he’s now in charge of Britain. That could be wrong, though, because by that point I was possibly imagining new poo poo to improve the book.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smeef posted:

I got the book it was based on expecting more Children of Men goodness, because what book is worse than the movie. Turns out this one is. It’s so bad I can’t even figure out how someone read it and was like “we gotta make a movie out of this.” As I recall it ends with the main character taking a ring from the evil Prime Minister, and because he has the ring he’s now in charge of Britain. That could be wrong, though, because by that point I was possibly imagining new poo poo to improve the book.

They just took the concept and were like “that’s cool, let’s not waste it on a bunch of dumb bullshit”.

PD James is usually good even but drat that book sucked.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Smeef posted:

Alfonso Cuarón had read about the premise of the book and wrote an original screenplay without having read the book itself. He had a writing partner who was more familiar with the book and injected names and references from it, but other than "we're in fascist britain and humans can't make babies no more" they have very little in common.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Two things always stood out to me:
-the graffiti and newspaper bits
-the whole “gently caress this, why bother” attitude of the entire world. I have never seen a movie where everyone who is not involved in the main plot is that level of checked out. Not in a bad way, not like the extras didn’t give a poo poo, but the opposite. No one sees any future so they’re all in that same kind of attitude you had if you were 25, unemployed, and didn’t see any option for things to get better… but there’s no one under like 30 in the movie. Everyone in even the background sells the poo poo out of the overwhelming despair of the setting.

Oh yeah for sure, like early when Theo is kidnapped in the middle of the day and stuffed in a van nobody passing by tries to help or acts alarmed. Plus how the upper class part of society has walled themselves off to pretend stuff is ok and to just “not think about it.”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SCheeseman posted:

Alfonso Cuarón had read about the premise of the book and wrote an original screenplay without having read the book itself. He had a writing partner who was more familiar with the book and injected names and references from it, but other than "we're in fascist britain and humans can't make babies no more" they have very little in common.

I don’t think anyone but Cuarón could have pulled the premise off, either. Someone upthread mentioned the worldbuilding , which usually is something tedious authors use to jerk off, but he nailed it. The world set the tone, the tone set the story, and the characters set the world. Cuarón loving rules at using set dressing and costuming to give just enough the actor can make the role their own, and then the viewer fills in the rest.

The making of stuff for this movie is one of the rare making if’s that actually had me appreciate the movie more- there’s so many small details that the film pulls at but doesn’t beat you over the head with.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zeluth posted:

I know what a child is like. I can't i,magine what potty trainging is like.

It's going to be near impossible to find a book on it that's for sure

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
2006 and 2007 were some banging years for movies

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

2006 and 2007 were some banging years for movies

I’d even push it to 2005-2008 tbh. If you liked dumb b movies there was good poo poo there. This was just on another level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

You can watch anything with Clive Owen because he pretty much gives the exact same one note performance in everything he is in. Any dimension in his acting is a by-product of americans thinking english people are smarter than them, which is unfortunately true.