Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This art is so cool I think I want to build for it. A commander so bad that it would make it hard to win even if it didn't also make everyone else want to team up to kill me ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any suggestions for a deck that doesn't rely on it's commander that much? Just a big old pile of good stuff that its nice if you have the commander out, but having them in play isn't integral for the deck winning?
Ignoring Eminence, my usual boring answer is Yarok. Whilst you can go deep on the Commander, you mostly just want good value ETB Creatures in Sultai which ... there's a lot to choose from. It's also a very easy deck to evaluate new sets on - does this do something cool when it ETBs? Cool it's probably good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
My Lagrella blink deck only plays Lagrella as either removal in the command zone or a combo piece, if it survives or not is entirely by the by

He's got googly eyes!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I wonder if giving it phasing but only having it phase in on your turn would work but like consistently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe the card turns face down end of turn and face up before upkeep? While face down it's just nothing, don't even look at it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jiro posted:

I wonder if giving it phasing but only having it phase in on your turn would work but like consistently.

That means only you don't untap your lands, which seems bad

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Hokori doesn't need some weird combo to go off. It just needs more artifact mana than your opponents.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I took it as a tweak to even better fit the conditions of a commander that actively makes you more likely to lose.

Though I guess the mana artifacts abundance could just turn it into a stax deck that makes that commander useful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Mean a Karn, collector ouphe, vandalblast, brotherhoods end, fade from history or any other artifact board wipe will put you back to the stone age with everyone else

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

*laughs in monu u stax*

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

is there such a thing as a casual stax deck? Like not trying to lock people out of the game completely, just not let all the other decks do exactly what they want when they want. Maybe higher than usual amount of counters, maybe more than 1 board wipe? Maybe some enchantments that slow the game down, like taxing stuff, or stun counter stuff so people can still play their decks, but a couple turns later than normal and you use those turns to do your own stuff? Or is it the kind of strategy that only works if nobody else can do anything at all?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That's more pillowfort

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Moose posted:

is there such a thing as a casual stax deck? Like not trying to lock people out of the game completely, just not let all the other decks do exactly what they want when they want. Maybe higher than usual amount of counters, maybe more than 1 board wipe? Maybe some enchantments that slow the game down, like taxing stuff, or stun counter stuff so people can still play their decks, but a couple turns later than normal and you use those turns to do your own stuff? Or is it the kind of strategy that only works if nobody else can do anything at all?

I believe that's what the old hate bear archetype was all about. A friend of mine built a grimy one in esper using Bane, Lord of Tyranny

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's more pillowfort

I thought that was more just "stopping people from doing stuff to you specifically". I was thinking more of proactively attacking people's decks/strategies, stuff like making everyone sacrifice a creature or discard cards every turn, running extra removal, attacking ramp by blowing up artifacts or single non-basic lands

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A Moose posted:

I thought that was more just "stopping people from doing stuff to you specifically". I was thinking more of proactively attacking people's decks/strategies, stuff like making everyone sacrifice a creature or discard cards every turn, running extra removal, attacking ramp by blowing up artifacts or single non-basic lands

Control, then!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Control, then!

I suppose you can say stax is the logical conclusion of control. I didn't think control was really a thing in a 4-player format though. Idk, I feel like its something someone should do sometimes, but nobody's going to like it, but just knowing someone has a control deck that they will occasionally play will cut down a lot of bs

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A Moose posted:

I suppose you can say stax is the logical conclusion of control. I didn't think control was really a thing in a 4-player format though. Idk, I feel like its something someone should do sometimes, but nobody's going to like it, but just knowing someone has a control deck that they will occasionally play will cut down a lot of bs

Having at one deck that can haul in someone doing some absolute bullshit is quite useful for a healthy pod, it's just that if you have more than one player on it then it can get miserable for the rest of the table in my experience

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

My buddy's got a clunky Kenrith deck he built on a budget. He got stomped one too many times by decks doing nonsense, so he told me he wanted to make some sort of UW Stax deck to reign people in. I had to emphasize that he really needs a way to close the game in a timely manner once he's gummed up the works and to maybe look at different color combinations to do so. Nobody wants to sit at a table while the Grand Arbiter or Lavinia decks struggle to do anything other than stop everyone else from doing anything.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No no, I meant the phasing part as in once it's your turn it phases out, when your turn ends it phases back in.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Jiro posted:

No no, I meant the phasing part as in once it's your turn it phases out, when your turn ends it phases back in.

Phasing is not an "until end of turn" effect. It toggles (things that are phased out come back, and things in play with phasing will phase out) on the controller's untap step.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

generatrix posted:

Phasing is not an "until end of turn" effect. It toggles (things that are phased out come back, and things in play with phasing will phase out) on the controller's untap step.

I see, I had been wondering if there was a way to manipulate it outside of just prematurely ending a turn like say with Obeka, to have it work more in your favor and lock everyone else out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jiro posted:

I see, I had been wondering if there was a way to manipulate it outside of just prematurely ending a turn like say with Obeka, to have it work more in your favor and lock everyone else out.

Ending the turn doesn't stop things that happen at the end of the turn (like threaten effects ending or discarding to hand size), it just exiles everything on the stack and moves the turn there

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Dumb question, but if you have multiple "beginning of end step" triggers you can choose the order of those effects via how they go on the stack?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Yes

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dumb question, but if you have multiple "beginning of end step" triggers you can choose the order of those effects via how they go on the stack?

Yes. If multiple people have triggers, first the player whose turn it is puts all the triggers they control on the stack in the order of their choice, then each other player in turn order does the same. The player whose turn it is will end up resolving their stuff last.

This is how it works every time multiple triggers would go on the stack simultaneously.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I figured that was the case but it nagged me so much that I wanted some outside confirmation. And it was more on getting a bunch of my own triggers to sequence right

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Things that last until end of turn will still stop existing at end of turn. But if you activate Obeka when all of your "at the beginning of your next end step" triggers are on the stack they go away and the game doesn't check for them again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

generatrix posted:

You could do it by flickering Oubliette though.

Not sure off hand which cards you'd need to do that reliably every turn cycle but I'm sure it can be done.

I guess it would work the same with any of the exile until X leaves the battlefield cards too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Always like posting these for the thread:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/745397908624523264/maros-teaser-for-outlaws-of-thunder-junction

E:

I'm gonna say the typed duals are Desert duals.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally, Homarid support.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anyone make a commander deck using Voja? I haven't had an elf deck in like twenty years, and was thinking of doing something with elves and wolves. There's so much stuff these days, it's hard to narrow it down.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anyone make a commander deck using Voja? I haven't had an elf deck in like twenty years, and was thinking of doing something with elves and wolves. There's so much stuff these days, it's hard to narrow it down.

Voja might be the single most popular commander of the last 3 years and the casual crowd hates it because it finally brings some semblance of aggro to the table. Wolves suck, but you can drop some elves and changelings in and finish with a Shalai and Halar and dunk people.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

It is a crime that Master of the Wild Hunt is a Human and not an Elf.

E:

Toshimo posted:

Voja might be the single most popular commander of the last 3 years and the casual crowd hates it because it finally brings some semblance of aggro to the table. Wolves suck, but you can drop some elves and changelings in and finish with a Shalai and Halar and dunk people.

I'll have you know there are no fewer than THREE Wolves that don't blow rear end.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 20, 2024

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

It's remarkable, though it probably should have been foreseeable, that after all this time WotC managed to print a viable aggro commander at a battlecruiser power level, and the result was immense popularity from ~half the audience and an immediate outcry of "ban it now, it can come down turn 5 or 4 or even 3 and then it'll attack a turn later and then what are we supposed to do?!" from the other ~half.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

disaster pastor posted:

It's remarkable, though it probably should have been foreseeable, that after all this time WotC managed to print a viable aggro commander at a battlecruiser power level, and the result was immense popularity from ~half the audience and an immediate outcry of "ban it now, it can come down turn 5 or 4 or even 3 and then it'll attack a turn later and then what are we supposed to do?!" from the other ~half.

How dare I be forced to play something so gauche as schniff "interaction". How Dare that spot removal cost anything more than the exact amount printed on the card.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
After reading a zillion hot takes I finally sat down in a pod with Voja. They were locked at 3 lands, someone may have blown up an elf? They scooped and went home early.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

disaster pastor posted:

Now that I think about it, my Thirteenth Doctor deck doesn't get any hate because it's actually a threat, it gets hate because it requires me to be aggressive early.

Commander players are anti-violence in weirdly specific ways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You get to heaven and it's just one game of commander that you can't concede from, with pre chosen decks, and a house rule that there are crimes allowed and all cards that would be exiled or put in the graveyard are instead put on the bottom of the library. If the game ends you get to go to hell.

It's four monowhite Lifegain decks without a wincon, no interaction, creatures, token generation, or artifacts that become or generate creatures. Every other player started with angel's grace.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cleretic posted:

Now that I think about it, my Thirteenth Doctor deck doesn't get any hate because it's actually a threat, it gets hate because it requires me to be aggressive early.

Commander players are anti-violence in weirdly specific ways.

Commander as a format has a number of rules that end up naturally making aggro less viable and people get complacent about the idea. Throw in the 'casual, social game' reputation and someone willing to do violence immediately becomes both the No Fun Person and the natural political target.

The ideal commander opponent is a ham sandwich setting up a complex durdle machine like you are except theirs does nothing, and stopping your combo via interaction or taking pieces out can still be classed under 'part of playing the game' but someone creating pressure by hitting you or playing creatures and using the combat step is an enemy for life.

How dare someone want to end the game, that's choosing to play less magic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Yeah, people don't seem to like it when I play Rogues, which has a pretty low curve, and then just start swinging from turn 2 or 3 and never stop.