Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I'm reminded of that time someone swung with a creature in a game with Sheldon Menery and they had to be apologetic as a bit. (Feel free to correct me if that is not how it happened)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Torchlighter posted:

I'm reminded of that time someone swung with a creature in a game with Sheldon Menery and they had to be apologetic as a bit. (Feel free to correct me if that is not how it happened)

You might be thinking of the clip where Sheldon is on Shuffle Up and Play and he's hesitating to attack and the person to his right begs him to swing and says that it's good for the game.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Batterypowered7 posted:

You might be thinking of the clip where Sheldon is on Shuffle Up and Play and he's hesitating to attack and the person to his right begs him to swing and says that it's good for the game.

That'd be it. But that's the attitude in a nutshell, people worry about swinging out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'll have you know there are no fewer than THREE Wolves that don't blow rear end.

It's a singleton format, you're not allowed to play three copies of Wyluli Wolf

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The good wolves are:

Voja
Voja, Friend to Elves
Voja Fenstalker

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Cemetery Prowler

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

How dare I be forced to play something so gauche as schniff "interaction". How Dare that spot removal cost anything more than the exact amount printed on the card.

JawnV6 posted:

After reading a zillion hot takes I finally sat down in a pod with Voja. They were locked at 3 lands, someone may have blown up an elf? They scooped and went home early.

Yes, exactly. There are so many ways to deal with creature decks in EDH, but the culture has degraded so far that people somehow get offended at having to put those ways in their deck.

Bennie Smith, who writes about EDH for Star City, complained about how he built Voja and then almost immediately gave up on it because "it rewards you too hard for just playing Magic."** Which, first of all, is a bonkers thing to say when playing Magic. Second, it's not even true! It rewards you for your opponents not playing Magic. Interaction is Magic! Bolt, Wrath and Counterspell were all in Alpha. "I Lightning Bolt your Llanowar Elves" has been a possible play since literally the first game of Magic. Stop saving your scarce interaction for things that mildly interfere with your deck and start using it to stay alive (and, also, consider making it less scarce).

(** His biggest complaint is the card draw, which, my dude, if you're building Voja around wolves, I don't think you're the threat you think you are)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

The good wolves are:

Voja
Voja, Friend to Elves
Voja Fenstalker

You forgot Taurean Mauler, Chameleon Colossus, Mirror Entity, and Realm Walker

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Too expensive. Realmwalker, Masked Vandal and then maaaaybe Avian Changeling or Universal Automaton, but really only the first 2 I think.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Too expensive. Realmwalker, Masked Vandal and then maaaaybe Avian Changeling or Universal Automaton, but really only the first 2 I think.

Taurean Mauler, Mirror Entity, and Realmwalker are all the same CMC!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I think Mirror Entity is viable at casual tables both as a possible finisher and because a cheap activation still makes all your creatures both elves and wolves.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

disaster pastor posted:

I think Mirror Entity is viable at casual tables both as a possible finisher and because a cheap activation still makes all your creatures both elves and wolves.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Taurean Mauler would probably be the best card in Magic if it was colorless. Love that card.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jiro posted:

Taurean Mauler would probably be the best card in Magic if it was colorless. Love that card.

Not George the Hydra?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Stupid question but im asking anyways. Is slivdrazi Monstrocity legal in casual groups? Had some eyebrows raised by it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Katamari Democracy posted:

Stupid question but im asking anyways. Is slivdrazi Monstrocity legal in casual groups? Had some eyebrows raised by it.

Do you mean Modular Monstrosity? Not sure what other Monstrosity there might be legality questions about. That card is not legal though, sorry. Nothing wrong with asking before the game starts though.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

They mean this card. No, not a legal commander card. That doesn't mean you can't play it if people agree.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Fritzler posted:

They mean this card. No, not a legal commander card. That doesn't mean you can't play it if people agree.

Oh, I must’ve misspelled at first and playtest cards don’t show up in regular search. I don’t think I would refuse if you asked to play with it, but it is just a wincon in a can so who knows what most people would say.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rokarumel can also do a less-good version of Slivdrazi monstrosity.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Mirror Entity works wonders with the pile of elves you're trying to stack in the first place, because once Voja is there there is not much else to spend on. Why not crank up Llanowar Elves's p/t?

Making everything an elf wolf would be very funny, as well.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Chakan posted:

Oh, I must’ve misspelled at first and playtest cards don’t show up in regular search. I don’t think I would refuse if you asked to play with it, but it is just a wincon in a can so who knows what most people would say.

The people I played with kind of had their eyes pop out while laughing. It is most definitely a wincon in a can.

Ill sideboard the card and ask if the pod is good with it before playing it in the future next time. Thanks.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rokarumel can also do a less-good version of Slivdrazi monstrosity.

Wait, how so? Any chance to say slivers are now eldrazi and can contribute to Annihilator mechanics?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You can make them eldrazi but you can't give them annihilator.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Kurieg posted:

You can make them eldrazi but you can't give them annihilator.

Bummer, but then again it might be a blessing in disguise. That card is already stupid powerful but I like contained powerful -- Like slivers in general!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://scryfall.com/card/cmm/711/rukarumel-biologist is the card.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Yeah that is in my sideboard. But I never really use her. Never thought of a reason to honestly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What stopped me is that it makes Eldrazi into sliver but not vice-versa.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It lets Eldrazi benefit from sliver lords, Slivers being turned into Eldrazi gets them very little. The money is in the devoid and annihilator.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

It lets Eldrazi benefit from sliver lords, Slivers being turned into Eldrazi gets them very little. The money is in the devoid and annihilator.

So I recently bought a bunch of Phyrexian boosters and it gave me a bunch of green and black phyrexians with toxic. What's a good commander to try and run a green/black toxic deck with?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tibbeh posted:

So I recently bought a bunch of Phyrexian boosters and it gave me a bunch of green and black phyrexians with toxic. What's a good commander to try and run a green/black toxic deck with?

Frank Horrigan from the fallout decks

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Torchlighter posted:

How dare I be forced to play something so gauche as schniff "interaction". How Dare that spot removal cost anything more than the exact amount printed on the card.

It's a Crime, I tell you! A Crime!

Torchlighter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7cNXlIvUlg

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I cant believe that not only did the table allow this but also I was able to play this card after 20 years of it not ever seeing the light of day.

The Mono Black Warhammer deck actually did some solid things today. Big Furry Monster included.

Also don't worry, he was exiled two turns later.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Honestly, the BFM is not THAT powerful and I would 100% allow it against me. Would certainly prefer to see it hit the table than Brisela!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's really fun. how do you actually play that though, do you pay the mana cost of the left BFM twice or is it needing both halves in hand to be able to play it at all?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

That's really fun. how do you actually play that though, do you pay the mana cost of the left BFM twice or is it needing both halves in hand to be able to play it at all?

The only way to get it on the board is to play both at the same time for the mana cost on the right one (BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Khanstant posted:

Normally, you have to have both halves in hand, and you pay 15 black mana. Judging by the photo, the answer in this case is "you cast dread return".

By the strict wording of the card, that shouldn't work, as dread return does not "play" either half of the card, but it's silver bordered so who knows. I assume OP ran this interaction by their playgroup before doing it.

Looking at the official documentation, though, we get this:

quote:

Can I cast Animate Dead on B.F.M.?

No. Animate Dead can target only one creature card. Although B.F.M. is considered one permanent (and one card) while in play, it is in fact two cards when in your hand, graveyard, or library. B.F.M. cannot be brought into play unless both pieces are brought in at the same time (say by Living Death or Incoming!).

When does B.F.M. turn from two cards to one?

B.F.M. becomes a single creature and a single card the moment it is played. Thus, it can be stopped by a single counterspell but does not trigger coming-into-play effects, like Pandemonium's, more than once.

Is there any way to bring just half of B.F.M. into play?

No, it's all or nothing. The creature can only come into play with both pieces.

Can I use Timmy, Power Gamer to bring B.F.M. into play?

Yes. Timmy loves 99/99 creatures.

First question seems to straightforwardly say that you cannot Dread Return BFM, but the fourth question straight up contradicts it, as Timmy does not bring in both halves at the same time the way Living Death or Incoming! does. Also, both rulings counteract the wording of the card as printed, which says it cannot come into play (or as we would say in modern magic, "enter the battlefield") unless both halves were played (i.e. cast). Dread Return, Living Death, Incoming!, and Timmy do not "play" (cast) BFM, so they should not be able to make it come into play as per its wording. So throw that wording in the loving bin; MaRo is bad at rules.

If I wanted to follow those rulings as best I could, I would probably interpret it as something like "BFM can only enter the battlefield or be put on the stack if both halves could be put onto the battlefield or stack simultaneously." Not a perfect wording but it gets the gist across. So, no Dread Return. That still contradicts the fourth question there but perhaps there's a special Timmy Exception for Timmy, Power Gamer specifically (but not, say, Elvish Piper) because BFM is just so Timmy-y.

The more fun way to play it, and a way that actually works a lot better in terms of rules consistency IMO, is to basically say "so long as both halves of BFM are in the same zone, other than the battlefield or stack, BFM's owner may [optionally] treat them together as a single card. On the stack or battlefield, they are treated as a single card [mandatory], and cannot be put on the stack or enter the battlefield separately." This lets you cast it in the intended way (these two halves of BFM in my hand are one card, I will now cast this card), as well as letting it be straightforwardly reanimated by Dread Return or whatever. This contradicts question 1 but allows Timmy to work as per question 4.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What happens if Saw in Half?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Khanstant posted:

What happens if Saw in Half?

lengthwise

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao the power saw

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Went ahead and preordered a foil copy of the Sheldon Secret Lair since I wanted the Teferi's Protection anyway. I'll probably trade away some of the other cards I'll never use if anyone will give me value for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ink shield seems good, I have it in 2 decks. Never resolved it or drew it, but it's in them. Maybe a third is what will get me to finally draw and cast it.