Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I just don't have any deck where I'd want to hold up five mana for that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I can't really imagine a situation where I'd want to hold up 5 mana for a fog that makes some tokens. Maybe in a deck that's already playing neatly everything at instant speed and is also kinda low power it would be a really strong toolbox option.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

Yeah I can't really imagine a situation where I'd want to hold up 5 mana for a fog that makes some tokens. Maybe in a deck that's already playing neatly everything at instant speed and is also kinda low power it would be a really strong toolbox option.

To be fair, it can make a LOT of tokens, but I like Arachnogenesis better.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I forget which card but I had a way to put a creature card milled into the battlefield. Seen how both sides were in the graveyard BFM came out.

Ill have to get more details. But the mono black warhammer deck thrives on milling and getting creatures out fast.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sounds like no one's ever been vaporized by a lifegain Aetherflux reservoir deck.

I like that because it's five mana to cast in "silverquill" most people usually forget about it and don't expect direct damage to just all of a sudden generate 50 2/1 flyers.

MPCfill question. I'm looking to either buy up or proxy a ton of Mirage basics, and I'm having trouble with it's layout to just have it make multiple copies of a single card.

Does it only do decklists or am I missing an input command to just do 30-40 of something of a single card?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

Sounds like no one's ever been vaporized by a lifegain Aetherflux reservoir deck.

I like that because it's five mana to cast in "silverquill" most people usually forget about it and don't expect direct damage to just all of a sudden generate 50 2/1 flyers.

MPCfill question. I'm looking to either buy up or proxy a ton of Mirage basics, and I'm having trouble with it's layout to just have it make multiple copies of a single card.

Does it only do decklists or am I missing an input command to just do 30-40 of something of a single card?

I know they recently redid the layout of MPCFill so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can put like "4x" in front of a card name and that should generate the specified number of cards to select the art for

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Just do a decklist that's like:

30x Plains

Then select all the cards and click on "change art" to make them all the same.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Every time I've seen Inkshield resolve, it's been a "wipe the board or the game's over" situation. It's a lot more than just "some tokens".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jiro posted:

It's combat damage though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Zurai posted:

Every time I've seen Inkshield resolve, it's been a "wipe the board or the game's over" situation. It's a lot more than just "some tokens".

Just cast your own when they swing out with the tokens, bing bong so easy

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's combat damage though.

Yeah, Inkshield does nothing against Aetherflux Reservoir.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, Inkshield does nothing against Aetherflux Reservoir.

Then I totally played that card wrong lol, ooooops.

Edit: The scenario at that time was opponent had just attacked with creatures to try and kill me, I successfully block take no damage, once they saw that they activated the Reservoir and beamed me for 50. Would that not be in the combat phase?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 22, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Combat damage is specifically damage from creatures attacking and blocking, not just damage during the combat step.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jiro posted:

Edit: The scenario at that time was opponent had just attacked with creatures to try and kill me, I successfully block take no damage, once they saw that they activated the Reservoir and beamed me for 50. Would that not be in the combat phase?

Doesn't matter what phase it is. "Combat damage" is the damage that attacking and blocking creatures do as the first strike combat damage step and regular combat damage step begin. No activated or triggered ability, nor spell, does combat damage.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Jiro posted:

"Combat Damage" is very specifically damage dealt from the game action of attacking with a creature. a.k.a., I declare a creature as attacking, you declare blockers, and once that's all done, that is when creatures deal combat damage. That's it. Aetherflux Reservoir, even if activated in the Combat Phase, is not combat damage, and cannot be prevented by Inkshield.

The Reservoir's damage can, however, be affected by Reflect Damage to hit the controller of the Reservoir itself, which is infinitely more funny. Also, Dream Devourer is useful to be able to foretell both cards, allowing you to not have to worry about stuff like wheels or discard, while also making the cards cheaper when it matters.

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 22, 2024

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aniodia posted:

"Combat Damage" is very specifically damage dealt from the game action of attacking with a creature. a.k.a., I declare a creature as attacking, you declare blockers, and once that's all done, that is when creatures deal combat damage. That's it. Aetherflux Reservoir, even if activated in the Combat Phase, is not combat damage, and cannot be prevented by Inkshield.

The Reservoir's damage can, however, be affected by Reflect Damage to hit the controller of the Reservoir itself, which is infinitely more funny. Also, Dream Devourer is useful to be able to foretell both cards, allowing you to not have to worry about stuff like wheels or discard, while also making the cards cheaper when it matters.

Dude what the hell, how has this card not been reprinted and still only around 1.50???? I need to grab like 10 of these.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Dude what the hell, how has this card not been reprinted and still only around 1.50???? I need to grab like 10 of these.

Probably because Deflecting Palm is 2 mana and does mostly the same thing https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386516

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Probably because Deflecting Palm is 2 mana and does mostly the same thing https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386516

The wording on Deflecting Palm, to me, implies that it's the NEXT time that source deals damage to you is when it takes effect not the first time. Unless you cast it at like the beginning of your turn?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

The wording on Deflecting Palm, to me, implies that it's the NEXT time that source deals damage to you is when it takes effect not the first time. Unless you cast it at like the beginning of your turn?

You can cast it before a spell or ability resolves. You can also cast it before the combat step where damage is assigned. You don't have to cast it that far in advance.

E:

Aetherflux Reservoir ability is on the stack. Cast Deflecting Swat, targeting Aetherflux Reservoir. Allow the ability to resolve, redirecting the damage to the Aetherflux Reservoir's controller.

E2:

You don't "target" the reservoir per se, but you got what I meant. You name it as the source whose damage you're reflecting.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 22, 2024

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jiro posted:

They activate Reservoir, you cast Palm in response, Palm resolves, Reservoir activation, which is now the next time Reservoir would deal damage to you, resolves and Palm's effect kicks in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jiro posted:

When you cast it in response to something, it resolves first and therefore the original damage source you're responding to is now next.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I like all this interaction and stack stuff minutiae I'm learning today.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jiro posted:

I like all this interaction and stack stuff minutiae I'm learning today.

That stuff is the best part of magic and what sets it apart from other similar games imo. Welcome to a wild rabbit hole.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Batterypowered7 posted:

There are subtle differences, though.

First, Deflecting Palm prevents damage, Reflect Damage doesn't, so effects that stop damage prevention won't stop Reflect but will stop Palm.

Second, Deflecting Palm only prevents damage to you, Reflect Damage redirects all damage a source would deal, to me or anyone else. So Palm doesn't do poo poo to Blasphemous Act, but Reflect Damage does and is also absolutely loving hilarious as well, doing (13*creatures on board) damage to the Act caster.

Third, when using Palm to redirect damage, Palm is the source of the damage. Whereas with Reflect Damage, the original source is where the damage comes from. I.E., if you Deflecting Palm a 21/X commander you don't control, it has to be attacking you, and even then the controller takes damage from Deflecting Palm. However, with Reflect Damage, that same commander can be attacking anyone else on board, and then oops, they just commander damage themselves out of the game.

So yeah, it is 5 mana, and that's kinda garb in higher-powered games. At the same time, it can lead to very hilarious results. At least, for the person using it anyway.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aniodia posted:

There are subtle differences, though.

First, Deflecting Palm prevents damage, Reflect Damage doesn't, so effects that stop damage prevention won't stop Reflect but will stop Palm.

Second, Deflecting Palm only prevents damage to you, Reflect Damage redirects all damage a source would deal, to me or anyone else. So Palm doesn't do poo poo to Blasphemous Act, but Reflect Damage does and is also absolutely loving hilarious as well, doing (13*creatures on board) damage to the Act caster.

Third, when using Palm to redirect damage, Palm is the source of the damage. Whereas with Reflect Damage, the original source is where the damage comes from. I.E., if you Deflecting Palm a 21/X commander you don't control, it has to be attacking you, and even then the controller takes damage from Deflecting Palm. However, with Reflect Damage, that same commander can be attacking anyone else on board, and then oops, they just commander damage themselves out of the game.

So yeah, it is 5 mana, and that's kinda garb in higher-powered games. At the same time, it can lead to very hilarious results. At least, for the person using it anyway.

Mirage keeps on giving in the weirdest ways

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm getting that Desert Matters precon for my Hazezon deck.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pretty much every legendary spoiled so far seems like a fun build-around, except for Kellan who is basically just chulane again, and the dude that's just Korvold but naya this time

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/CGqcG9__wMY?si=2cmuFVqai5u9QRed

Academic deckboxes now out and about.

Balon! I enjoyed watching your game on EDH was a good time. And I'm definitely looking at your deck tech ideas for Voja.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

https://youtu.be/CGqcG9__wMY?si=2cmuFVqai5u9QRed

Academic deckboxes now out and about.

Balon! I enjoyed watching your game on EDH was a good time. And I'm definitely looking at your deck tech ideas for Voja.

Glad you liked it! May or may not have another one coming soon…

In the meantime my first OTJ brew is out today: The Gitrog!

The Gitrog, Ravenous Ride 🛠 $50 Budget EDH Deck
https://youtu.be/2WP_SL-Pby0

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I wish this was an Instant: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1bq0ytd/otj_requisition_raid/

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
2/1 with Kitty cat voltron today. Arahbo, Roar of the World continues to be one of the best cat commanders to hang out in the command zone and still make cats super great.

I was very close to getting Sword, Helm, and Shield of Kaldra all out but was able to get sword and shield -- that and the other equipments I had on my cats started making my deck go out of hand really quick.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
edh can be for good storytelling in a game. my niece wasn't even mad i killed her with 48 cats (and a hundred more waiting for next attack phase) because it was pretty funny for her. Jinnie Fae is just a crazy cat lady throwing horrible transmutated fur balls.

Rabble Rousing is an amazing card, and i thought that prosperous partnership being tucked away wouldn't do much. with a token doubler out three cats tapped creates two more cats. it would have probably smelled awful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a Kibo deck, and nobody is ever mad about losing to a gigantic monkey who hates treasure.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
People are usually scared of a massive mycotyrant and then you realize that mirkwood bats is the real threat, the lowly fungi are the real stars of the show

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Nobody targets Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy until he's suddenly a 10/10, but then nobody's mad at dying to Big Gale

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

A Moose posted:

Nobody targets Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy until he's suddenly a 10/10, but then nobody's mad at dying to Big Gale

he ate too many magic shoes and how he's coming for YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

For some reason I get stink eye for my N'gathrod doing menacing piratey things by stealing other people's poo poo. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Treasure Island
Island
Tap to add U
Tap Sac to add one mana of any colour

Would this kinda land cycle be busted? Seems fair to me to enter untapped if you're having to sacrifice to get the off colour.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Treasure Island
Island
Tap to add U
Tap Sac to add one mana of any colour

Would this kinda land cycle be busted? Seems fair to me to enter untapped if you're having to sacrifice to get the off colour.

That's absurdly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It wouldn't radically alter the game, but it would be universally playable due to the very low opportunity cost and I don't think it would make the game more fun to have exist.