Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5NDRezZTM

Prof reviewing the new Precons. At least one gets an "A"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5NDRezZTM

Prof reviewing the new Precons. At least one gets an "A"

unsurprisingly the blue/red one is pretty good while the rest are "yeah don't bother"

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night

Zechariah posted:

+

If I'm reading this right, this card quadruples the tokens made since Hazezon's ETB trigger then creates a second (delayed) trigger, yeah? One becomes two becomes four?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

603.2e Some effects refer to a triggered ability of an object. Such effects refer only to triggered abilities the object has, not any delayed triggered abilities (see rule 603.7) that may be created by abilities the object has.

Looked up the rules you refered to (thanks for responding) but I'm still a bit confused.

"603.2e If a triggered ability’s trigger condition is met, but the object with that triggered ability is at no time visible to all players, the ability does not trigger."

Not sure how this applies. Hazezon Tamar is famously often absent from the field long before his delayed trigger resolves.
In case you're suggesting, I don't think Annie Joins Up is required to say "If a triggered ability [or a delayed triggered ability] of a legendary creature you control triggers..." to apply since delayed triggered abilities are inherently triggered abilities.

"603.7d If a spell creates a delayed triggered ability, the source of that delayed triggered ability is that spell. The controller of that delayed triggered ability is the player who controlled that spell as it resolved."
"603.7e If an activated or triggered ability creates a delayed triggered ability, the source of that delayed triggered ability is the same as the source of that other ability. The controller of that delayed triggered ability is the player who controlled that other ability as it resolved."

This states that the delayed triggered ability still belongs to and is attributed to Hazezon Tamar, the same as the original triggered ability, I believe satisfying the "triggered ability of a legendary creature".

However, Annie Joins Up states "triggered ability of a legendary creature you control". Does that refer to controlling the triggered ability (I do), or does it refer to controlling the legendary creature (I might not if I've removed him from the board beforehand).
If the argument is that I need to keep Hazezon around long enough for this check to occur (and then sac immediately afterwards before the tokens arrive), that would be something.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Trying to brew up a little something with Vihaan Goldwalker but I've never really built a treasure focused strategy before. I'm sure there's some garbage I could remove or things I can slot into the empty spots I just don't have an expansive knowledge of the cards like I used to. I wouldn't turn down any pointers if folks are willing to give them.

https://www.archidekt.com/decks/7347039/mercenary_treasures

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

TheKingslayer posted:

Trying to brew up a little something with Vihaan Goldwalker but I've never really built a treasure focused strategy before. I'm sure there's some garbage I could remove or things I can slot into the empty spots I just don't have an expansive knowledge of the cards like I used to. I wouldn't turn down any pointers if folks are willing to give them.

Marionette Master instead of the 7 mana Cybermen and Disciple of the Vault instead of the 2 mana Cybermen.

E:

22 lands? My good Goon...

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 13, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingslayer posted:

:stare:

You certainly went all-in, huh? You ain't hitting 7 mana with 22 lands, even with treasure generation. Even cEDH decks rarely run that low, and their average CMC is closer to 1 than 3.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingslayer posted:

You want 37 to 38 lands. Start there then fill in the rest of the deck. I’ve got some videos on lands, rocks, and ramp that may help you with the “why”

Why LANDS are the HARDEST thing about Commander Deck Building
https://youtu.be/4i_ZfWmQ754

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, 22 lands with no fast mana is a number only high-end cEDH turbo decks with average CMCs of like, 1 are doing (and they're relying on fast mana). Maybe cut some of the huge spells for some lands and you should be okay? You do generate treasures so there is that, but you need to be able to get those generators on the board for them to be a worthwhile payoff.

If I'm not building cEDH I'm generally aiming for around 30-32 plus rocks, personally, but I typically keep my average CMCs pretty low.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 13, 2024

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Totally new topic as I was messing around with mono-white landfall: what are everybody's first-choice jank glue commanders for different color combinations? For mono-white I always pull out Loran of the Third Path, for five-color it's probably Kenrith (or our oft-bemoaned and banned Golos), Simic has eighty variants of "draw cards for existing" commanders. Any other fun options out there for when someone is trying to put together A Bad Idea (edit: that doesn't have a dedicated "pick me!" option)?

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 13, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Totally new topic as I was messing around with mono-white landfall: what are everybody's first-choice jank glue commanders for different color combinations? For mono-white I always pull out Loran of the Third Path, for five-color it's probably Kenrith (or our oft-bemoaned and banned Golos), Simic has eighty variants of "draw cards for existing" commanders. Any other fun options out there for when someone is trying to put together A Bad Idea?

Karona for 5C Theros Gods Tribal Enchantress

It's just a [bad] enchantress deck where you try to get all the gods out and then play Karona to buff them and swing in for big on a single turn.

Jele a for Wheeling and Dealing

It's a [bad] Grixis deck where you try to mill the table out by casting wheels and Jeleva herself.

Breya for Thopter Tribal

That one's pretty self-explanatory. It's also bad.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The deck only has 88 cards in it so I'm guessing it actually has 12 more basics for a total of 34 lands, and it just got inputted as one of each by accident.

That's still a little on the low side for a deck without a bunch of fast mana but still much better lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zechariah posted:

Looked up the rules you refered to (thanks for responding) but I'm still a bit confused.

"603.2e If a triggered ability’s trigger condition is met, but the object with that triggered ability is at no time visible to all players, the ability does not trigger."

Not sure how this applies.

It doesn't, and you didn't need to look anything up because I quoted the entire rules text of 603.2e. What you've found from googling are things referring to a rule that was at the time 603.2e, but is now 603.2g.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/rules , for future reference. The current version of 603.2e in particular came in with AFR, a little under 3 years ago.

Zechariah posted:

In case you're suggesting, I don't think Annie Joins Up is required to say "If a triggered ability [or a delayed triggered ability] of a legendary creature you control triggers..." to apply since delayed triggered abilities are inherently triggered abilities.

"603.7d If a spell creates a delayed triggered ability, the source of that delayed triggered ability is that spell. The controller of that delayed triggered ability is the player who controlled that spell as it resolved."
"603.7e If an activated or triggered ability creates a delayed triggered ability, the source of that delayed triggered ability is the same as the source of that other ability. The controller of that delayed triggered ability is the player who controlled that other ability as it resolved."

This states that the delayed triggered ability still belongs to and is attributed to Hazezon Tamar, the same as the original triggered ability, I believe satisfying the "triggered ability of a legendary creature".

However, Annie Joins Up states "triggered ability of a legendary creature you control". Does that refer to controlling the triggered ability (I do), or does it refer to controlling the legendary creature (I might not if I've removed him from the board beforehand).
If the argument is that I need to keep Hazezon around long enough for this check to occur (and then sac immediately afterwards before the tokens arrive), that would be something.

Once again:

603.2e Some effects refer to a triggered ability of an object. Such effects refer only to triggered abilities the object has, not any delayed triggered abilities (see rule 603.7) that may be created by abilities the object has.

Annie Joins Up refers to the triggered ability of an object, in this case any triggered ability of a legendary creature. The rule I quoted specifically states that such effects only refer to triggered abilities of the object, not any associated delayed triggers. The delayed trigger from Hazezon's ability is a delayed trigger. Annie Joins Up does not affect it.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 13, 2024

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
latest episode of elder dragon hijinks has jinnie fay unloading just like jinnie fay should. was a fun silly game.

https://youtu.be/ud9xeryWmyo

unrelated i really want to make a new eriette deck, but I'm wondering if i will just give up on it like my marchesa (which got turned into a proliferate deck instead of steal and sac deck)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Party Miser posted:

latest episode of elder dragon hijinks has jinnie fay unloading just like jinnie fay should. was a fun silly game.

https://youtu.be/ud9xeryWmyo

unrelated i really want to make a new eriette deck, but I'm wondering if i will just give up on it like my marchesa (which got turned into a proliferate deck instead of steal and sac deck)

My other half played a game with her Jinnie deck last night, someone decided that their out was to tap out to draw 20 when other half had Smothering Tithe out and was going next. This was not a successful plan.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm going through all the responses but the lands was a typo, there are supposed to be more.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My other half played a game with her Jinnie deck last night, someone decided that their out was to tap out to draw 20 when other half had Smothering Tithe out and was going next. This was not a successful plan.

i love that there's so many ways to build her to just convert tokens and roll over your enemies. my deck isn't quite like in the video and i don't have smothering tithe in mine, but it's great to add/convert/double tokens that are still useful anyway.

i played a game where i killed my niece with 48 cats and had another 100 waiting untapped because of that one hideaway card and a doubler. it may not be optimal but i never choose dog tokens.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok sorry about that, got the lands that were missing and added some more drain dudes in Disciple of the Vault, Marionette Master, and Mayhem Devil.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm going through all the responses but the lands was a typo, there are supposed to be more.

If that's the case, cool deck.

Some thoughts:
Some of your high end spells don't really do much to end the game. Think of it this way, you're investing your resources into being able to cast your big stuff so you can win. Some of your big spells, like Ancient Copper Dragon and Blood Money, aren't going to win you the game, they just give you... more resources. You're relying pretty heavily on using your treasures to win, which is a cool theme, but I feel like you've got enough ways to make treasures and could use more things that let you use them. Marionette Master, Disciple of the Vault, Reckless Fireweaver etc, and Revel in Riches are cool. Exsanguinate is okay.

If you want a big flashy dragon payoff, maybe Hellkite Tyrant? Kinda clunky but it's a wincon.

Perhaps a way to give your treasure creatures evasion or beef them up? A massive army of 3/3s or higher will close out a game pretty fast, too.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ah I'm glad you pointed out the dragon, I meant to swap that out for something else since going bust on the roll would suck.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nadier's Nightblade is another 3cmc treasure drainer.

Monologue Tax never plays as well as you want it to; either it's too slow at 3cmc or it has too little impact.

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It doesn't, and you didn't need to look anything up because I quoted the entire rules text of 603.2e. What you've found from googling are things referring to a rule that was at the time 603.2e, but is now 603.2g.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/rules , for future reference. The current version of 603.2e in particular came in with AFR, a little under 3 years ago.

Once again:

Annie Joins Up refers to the triggered ability of an object, in this case any triggered ability of a legendary creature. The rule I quoted specifically states that such effects only refer to triggered abilities of the object, not any associated delayed triggers. The delayed trigger from Hazezon's ability is a delayed trigger. Annie Joins Up does not affect it.

Ah thank you, I had no idea that was a quote and then Google led me astray. Cut and dry. Thanks!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

a new lgs opened near me and has an active commander scene and cool people, so i'm looking into buying into a budget deck to hang there. i've played about three or four games of commander in my life with tweaked precons from the jeleva/derevi era but i've played a decent amount of standard and a ton of draft, so i'm not new to magic. budgeting about 100 bucks for this purpose.

i started out deckbuilding with aragorn the uniter because i really dug his design and colors, and slapped together legendary multicolor humans on archidekt using that. it was fun in goldfishing but i do not think a 100 dollar deck manabase can support four colors, so i spent the next couple of days looking at edhrec on and off and putting together a couple of decks before i landed on kyler, sigardian emissary. he does a lot of the getting value for casting your dudes and going wide stuff i liked about aragorn with less colors and a more focused shell. i'm really liking how this is goldfishing rn and i'm in the process of tweaking the list, so i figured i'd open it up to you guys for recs. there are a handful of cards i'm eh on but i'm open to suggestions that aren't like dropping 40 bucks on an ozolith lol.

https://www.archidekt.com/decks/7360073/kyler_is_such_a_basic_name

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 16, 2024

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Looks like a perfectly fine deck. My main suggestion would be replacing the 5MV Sigarda with Shalai Voice of Plenty since she gives similar protection and works a bit better with your +1 counter theme. Kutzil is a good add too, you'll probably meet the conditions to draw off it more often than not.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Tried a pod of the Thunder Junction precons on Spelltable.

The UB looked fun but the guy couldn’t understand he had to cast three spells to activate his commander. It also needs someone who understands the stack and rules otherwise it grinds to a halt.

WBR was fine. Reasonable interaction and power level.

WGR actually look fun. Lots of weird “cares about land in the graveyard” interactions which is at least a somewhat novel space for casual.

I played UBG and unfortunately it is a complete non-starter for paper online play. Tons of “I look at the X top card of your library face down and can cast it”. Online aside, it’s very weird as a casual product, but not good enough as a competitive one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ulta posted:

The UR looked fun but the guy couldn’t understand he had to cast three spells to activate his commander. It also needs someone who understands the stack and rules otherwise it grinds to a halt.

Did he just stop reading before he got to the end of the rules text?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Did he just stop reading before he got to the end of the rules text?

I suspect he was new and possibly indulging in the marajuana cigarettes. Or he just was being intentionally dense to try and win.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I do think it's probably not the best that activation restrictions go at the end of the ability. See evidence here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1M5dJ0Ouiw

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

A Magical Lamp posted:

Looks like a perfectly fine deck. My main suggestion would be replacing the 5MV Sigarda with Shalai Voice of Plenty since she gives similar protection and works a bit better with your +1 counter theme. Kutzil is a good add too, you'll probably meet the conditions to draw off it more often than not.

shalai and kutzil are good shouts, i was eyeballing kutzil but forgot about shalai. i'm gunshy on cutting sigarda, heron's grace as she's also a human token generator and those all seem pretty nuts with kyler, but coven sigarda is on my cut list as it's not a human and the coven attack trigger seems like it could stumble a decent amount

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Simic Initiate has a neat synergy with Kyler. You can graft the counter over when Kyler enters, and the Initiate remains a 1/1 and doesn’t die. Not super powerful, but gets you an immediate team buff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Cassowary posted:

shalai and kutzil are good shouts, i was eyeballing kutzil but forgot about shalai. i'm gunshy on cutting sigarda, heron's grace as she's also a human token generator and those all seem pretty nuts with kyler, but coven sigarda is on my cut list as it's not a human and the coven attack trigger seems like it could stumble a decent amount

Add the Pinkerton sigarda as it makes everything else hexproof and you can cast humans from the top of your library.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

generatrix posted:

Simic Initiate has a neat synergy with Kyler. You can graft the counter over when Kyler enters, and the Initiate remains a 1/1 and doesn’t die. Not super powerful, but gets you an immediate team buff.

that is neat and for 1 mana and 4 cents i will get one just to gently caress around with it

Spanish Manlove posted:

Add the Pinkerton sigarda as it makes everything else hexproof and you can cast humans from the top of your library.

already in

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hell yeah, I love that card. Tried to make a deck around it and then decided to just go mono green instead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just tried the new Obeka in Arena. Lol. Lmao even.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just tried the new Obeka in Arena. Lol. Lmao even.

..........like details of what happened???

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jiro posted:

Turns out that having multiple upkeeps and things that get triggered on upkeeps is really strong.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I have an Obeka deck in paper that I may get to play this week. I'm just starting to try 3-color decks. Goldfished it some, the curve's pretty high as a lot of Upkeep-matters cards are 4~5+ mana.

Anyone else going to the Command Fest in SF this weekend?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Party Miser posted:

I've also been missing around with her, because she looks fun and I like the character, and it seems like a Stax build is the way to go. Thankfully, you don't lose control of the permanent if Eriette leaves play, and there's not a ton of enchantment hate in the current meta (I haven't seen a tranquility or cleanfall in a long, long time), so provided you can keep her around long enough to cast a few enchantments and steal other things, it's not awful. Remember to grab things like Ensoul Artifact and Zoetic Glyph to steal mana rocks and other utility artifacts.

Something like Asinine Antics is enjoyable if you're often facing a mass token strategy. Her old version could be a good include as well, as you'll have plenty of auras for an end of turn draining of the table.

Beyond that, you're doing mainly the usual esper stax stuff, and trying to win via the usual esper lines. She's unfortunately in that list of commanders who don't make a big impact on their own when cast, so she'll probably always be a casual build, but if your table doesn't mind theft strategies, she's a good excuse to break out some of the old big mana enchantments and the white discount enchantress cards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jiro posted:

If you get a bunch of upkeep triggers on the board and the other player lets you damage them with Obeka, poo poo pops off.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

SO much mana with Braid of Fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I have tried to add Braid of Fire to every red deck I've ever built and always remove it when I think "why the hell isn't this a staple in all decks forever it's just more and more free mana??" And look it up and go ohhh yeah right, very limited use window. Did it last night making a shattergang deck lol.