Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

There's just gotta be some goofy rear end deck out there that would make good use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Batterypowered7 posted:

There's just gotta be some goofy rear end deck out there that would make good use of it.

Descent into Avernus requires, if I recall correctly, six upkeeps before it's across-the-board lethal to 40 life.

Do with that what you will.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Trying out a Jasper Flint outlaws deck in brawl. What would be good includes?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

JawnV6 posted:

I have an Obeka deck in paper that I may get to play this week. I'm just starting to try 3-color decks. Goldfished it some, the curve's pretty high as a lot of Upkeep-matters cards are 4~5+ mana.

Got to play Obeka tonight, and it did pretty well. I packed mine with all the Initiative effects I could muster. Someone had a selesnya Arcades Sabboth effect, combat damage assigns toughness, so I ran the Undercity the first time I swung out. Got to choose between dropping Moraug or Xanathar onto the field for free. It's a lot of triggers, I should've included more dungeon traversal in the goldfishing. I'm going to cut Urabrask, Heretic because it ended up being annoying to handle the opponent trigger. Braid of Fire looks interesting, see if I can find a copy.

I think it'll always be somewhat slow to start, turn 4 or 5 before it really starts cranking. But a lot of fun!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

There are quite a few instant speed X-spells

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Deck Idea: Felix Five-Boots with the five equipments in his color identity that have the word "boots" in their name.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

JawnV6 posted:

Got to play Obeka tonight, and it did pretty well. I packed mine with all the Initiative effects I could muster. Someone had a selesnya Arcades Sabboth effect, combat damage assigns toughness, so I ran the Undercity the first time I swung out. Got to choose between dropping Moraug or Xanathar onto the field for free. It's a lot of triggers, I should've included more dungeon traversal in the goldfishing. I'm going to cut Urabrask, Heretic because it ended up being annoying to handle the opponent trigger. Braid of Fire looks interesting, see if I can find a copy.

I think it'll always be somewhat slow to start, turn 4 or 5 before it really starts cranking. But a lot of fun!

I built Obeka with a bunch of upkeep trigger creatures (wildfire devils, dragonmaster outcast, herald of leshrac) Some decent enchanments too, endless ranks of the dead, palace siege, and the 6 courts. Replicating ring came in clutch as well. Very fun, would play again.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 18, 2024

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I built Obeka with a bunch of upkeep trigger creatures (wildfire devils, dragonmaster outcast, herald of leshrac) Some decent enchanments too, endless ranks of the dead, palace siege, and the 6 courts. Replicating ring came in clutch as well. Very fun, would play again.

Taking the initiative pre-combat seems like it would be pretty good in that kind of build.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I was looking at the old enchantment cycle "Hondens" which are decent enough on the brawl side. I couldn't find all the courts, then decided I didn't want both the initiative and monarch bouncing around the table.

Replicating ring looks great, I've stayed away from it ever since a Brawl match with some doubling effects made it spam triggers.

generatrix posted:

Taking the initiative pre-combat seems like it would be pretty good in that kind of build.
Taking it back with combat's tricky, I had better luck dropping another ETB:take initiative card.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Midnight Clock seems good with multiple upkeeps as well. She seems good with spells with Suspend and/or Jhoira of the Ghitu. Just casually suspend a Breach the Multiverse for {2}, swing with a slightly pumped Obeka, and cast it after combat (along with anything else you've suspended).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
finally, anime girl As Foretold has it's time in the sun

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Batterypowered7 posted:

Midnight Clock seems good with multiple upkeeps as well. She seems good with spells with Suspend and/or Jhoira of the Ghitu. Just casually suspend a Breach the Multiverse for {2}, swing with a slightly pumped Obeka, and cast it after combat (along with anything else you've suspended).
Midnight Clock absolutely screwed me in my Jin-Gitaxias deck, playing it all on curve meant my 14 card hand from flipping Jin was shuffled away for 7 fresh cards :v:

I have some Suspend stuff but it was just whatever I could find in my collection, some big things that cheat out in a turn or two if I can blitz upkeeps.

Jhoira looks awesome!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Midnight Clock absolutely screwed me in my Jin-Gitaxias deck, playing it all on curve meant my 14 card hand from flipping Jin was shuffled away for 7 fresh cards :v:

I have some Suspend stuff but it was just whatever I could find in my collection, some big things that cheat out in a turn or two if I can blitz upkeeps.

Jhoira looks awesome!

Don't mind me, just suspending a Time Stretch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

Taking it back with combat's tricky, I had better luck dropping another ETB:take initiative card.

But don't you have to be smacking them in the face with Obeka anyway?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aphrodite posted:

But don't you have to be smacking them in the face with Obeka anyway?

yeah, you should maybe consider a few evasion things like Whispersilk Cloak and Security Bypass and Swordcoast Sailor

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Spanish Manlove posted:

yeah, you should maybe consider a few evasion things like Whispersilk Cloak and Security Bypass and Swordcoast Sailor

Psychic Paper and Trailblazer’s Boots

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Balon posted:

Psychic Paper and Trailblazer’s Boots

those too, there's a lot of options

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Wondering if I could get some input on my Loot deck https://archidekt.com/decks/7358980/loot_is_cute. I know I went pretty cheap on the lands, but my main concern is finishers. I threw kiki jiki + zealous conscripts in but I'm not sure if combos work in Loot given you can burn a combo piece on the Loot trigger. Maybe it's not about finishers but just outvaluing the opponents and burning them down with cast-from-exile triggers.

srypher fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 18, 2024

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

srypher posted:

Wondering if I could get some input on my Loot deck https://archidekt.com/decks/7358980/loot_is_cute. I know I went pretty cheap on the lands, but my main concern is finishers. I threw kiki jiki + zealous conscripts in but I'm not sure if combos work in Loot given you can burn a combo piece on the Loot trigger. Maybe it's not about finishers but just outvaluing the opponents and burning them down with cast-from-exile triggers.

Akroma's Memorial and Embercleave are very bizarre inclusions. In general I think you want to remove as many high-mana outliers as possible. Your average CMC doesn't have to be super-low - you're gonna strand cards in exile no matter what you do - but if you're at six lands you'd rather be choosing between two four-drops to cast from than a one-drop and a seven-drop.

I know your commander has a good amount of pseudo-draw value, but I think you're light on draw in the 99. Even including impulse draw I think you're at <10 cards at CMC 3 or less which can get you a card, and most of those aren't more-than-replacement draw or repeatable draw. On the other hand if your goal is to use your commander as your first and last draw option, then you need more than lightning greaves and a couple counterspells to protect it (even with ward 1). I think cantrip creatures would be a good option as low-cmc bodies that turn your impulse draw into actual draw.

I think you can afford to drop the creature count by one or two to sneak in another battle/planeswalker. You might also want to investigate if there's another enchantment creature that can fit - I have no idea if there is, these aren't my preferred colors, but it would be a clean way to bump up the commander's consistency.

You might want just a touch of lifegain if you're including six mana sources that drain you. Haywire Mite doesn't count.

Don't play temple of the false god in a three-color deck.

edit: and yeah to answer your question, I think it's less about finishers and more about value. I'd want to test out the deck to see how the engine runs first before figuring out if I need another wincon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What’s typically used as proxies in cedh tournaments? Is paper popped in front a real card still the thing there? Considering how crazy some people are in those I wouldn’t be surprised if they can’t do that because of the tiny thickness difference.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I'm not sure. I'd probably just order some nice proxies from Make Playing Cards and not worry too much about paper slipping around in a sleeve on top of a real card.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm not sure. I'd probably just order some nice proxies from Make Playing Cards and not worry too much about paper slipping around in a sleeve on top of a real card.

I’ve also seen some that ban those, with the rules saying proxies that resemble the real cards are not allowed.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Aphrodite posted:

I’ve also seen some that ban those, with the rules saying proxies that resemble the real cards are not allowed.

MPC cards all either say Proxy and/or have a fake set symbol on the front somewhere and always have a non-standard back. They aren’t the chinese counterfeits people are talking about in those sort of rules I bet.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

ShutteredIn posted:

MPC cards all either say Proxy and/or have a fake set symbol on the front somewhere and always have a non-standard back. They aren’t the chinese counterfeits people are talking about in those sort of rules I bet.

Good ol' Willie Tanner or whatever who uploads card images to MPCFill always puts a "Proxy Not for Sale" on the bottom-left part of the card. You could always look exclusively for anime art on there, lmao

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Unfinished Land Cycles in Commander Decks?? A Mana Chat! | Magic: The Gathering Thunder Junction MTG

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I like how he talked about putting battlebond lands in decks at the end and was like "well uhh yeah that's gonna be another video" meanwhile they snuck one of them into the lotr decks that I'm very sure no one bought:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Huh. Playing with Power put up a Youtube post saying something's come up in the person's life and the channel is on indefinite hiatus and the Patreon is being paused.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
When upgrading a precon's mana base, is it better to replace basics with dual lands, or is it better to replace lower quality duals with higher quality duals?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Flip Yr Wig posted:

When upgrading a precon's mana base, is it better to replace basics with dual lands, or is it better to replace lower quality duals with higher quality duals?

Usually this.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Flip Yr Wig posted:

It’s generally good to replace lands that come in tapped with ones that come in untapped. In some cases that might mean replacing duals with basics.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

generatrix posted:

It’s generally good to replace lands that come in tapped with ones that come in untapped. In some cases that might mean replacing duals with basics.

This!

A manabase of 32 basics is going to usually outperform a manabase of 22 basics and 10 taplands in terms of speed and efficiency, unless there's some very compelling reason to do so (i.e. tapped snow duals in a Jorn, God of Winter deck)

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Another way to upgrade is with a sharpie

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Typed nonbasics that come into play tapped that can be fetched are ok too. Like having 1 or 2 triomes with fetch lands or like, Skyshroud Claim

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Cool Post Beg posted:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Cool Post Beg posted:

:hellyeah:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

generatrix posted:

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A manabase of 32 basics is going to usually outperform a manabase of 22 basics and 10 taplands in terms of speed and efficiency, unless there's some very compelling reason to do so (i.e. tapped snow duals in a Jorn, God of Winter deck)

Thanks, make sense to me. That said, I think what I have on hand are checklands and slowlands, which I think is safe to assume are upgrades over taplands, though now I'm wondering if basics might still be better.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 24, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Slowlands will enter untapped the vast majority of the time that it matters in Commander. It's not a format where you have a burning need to have maximum untapped mana on t1 or t2 in the vast majority of cases, and from t3 onward they should ETB untapped. They're among the first not-actual-ABU-duals you should add to a Commander deck (after the Battlebond lands that enter untapped as long as it's not a two-player game and shocklands).

Checklands vary a little more, they're worse the more colors you're playing. For a two-color deck they're basically free, for a five-color deck you might want to look elsewhere depending on the way your colors skew.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 24, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Thanks, make sense to me. That said, I think what I have on hand are checklands and slowlands, which I think is safe to assume are upgrades over taplands, though now I'm wondering if basics might still be better.

Those are generally good. Checklands are especially good when you have an otherwise basic manabase.
If you really need to hit your turn 1 and your turn 2, and would generally keep a 2 lander to do so, slowlands can be a hinderance. But, they're usually very good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zurai posted:

Slowlands will enter untapped the vast majority of the time that it matters in Commander. It's not a format where you have a burning need to have maximum untapped mana on t1 or t2 in the vast majority of cases, and from t3 onward they should ETB untapped. They're among the first not-actual-ABU-duals you should add to a Commander deck (after the Battlebond lands that enter untapped as long as it's not a two-player game and shocklands).

Checklands vary a little more, they're worse the more colors you're playing. For a two-color deck they're basically free, for a five-color deck you might want to look elsewhere depending on the way your colors skew.

In a 2-color deck without specific other synergies, my order would be:

• ABUR Duals
  • Shocks
  • BBD
  • Pathways
  • Fastlands
  • Painlands
  • Lorwyn Filters
  • Odyssey Filters
  • Basics

I'd have to think hard about putting checks or slow lands in over basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think it depends on what kind of meta you're playing in, and what kind of deck. How important is it that you get ramp on turns 1 and 2? You probably don't need to hold up removal or counterspells on turn 1 or 2 outside cEDH. How bad is playing a tapped fast land as your 5th land going to gently caress you?

The only times slow lands are bad are if they're 1) in your opening hand, 2) you have less than 2 other untapped lands in your opening hand, and 3) you absolutely need all your mana on turns 1, 2 and 3.

In most commander games, playing a tap land turn 1 is fine.