Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

A Moose posted:

I think it depends on what kind of meta you're playing in, and what kind of deck. How important is it that you get ramp on turns 1 and 2? You probably don't need to hold up removal or counterspells on turn 1 or 2 outside cEDH. How bad is playing a tapped fast land as your 5th land going to gently caress you?

The only times slow lands are bad are if they're 1) in your opening hand, 2) you have less than 2 other untapped lands in your opening hand, and 3) you absolutely need all your mana on turns 1, 2 and 3.

In most commander games, playing a tap land turn 1 is fine.

Yeah, this. In non-cEDH games, the chances that a slowland will come into play tapped and that actually has a material impact on the game is vanishingly rare. If you're intentionally playing a deck with a ton of 1 and 2 mana plays that you absolutely want to play right on curve, maybe you'd look for a different solution, but that's a very narrow selection of EDH deck archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Toshimo posted:

In a 2-color deck without specific other synergies, my order would be:

• ABUR Duals
  • Shocks
  • BBD
  • Pathways
  • Fastlands
  • Painlands
  • Lorwyn Filters
  • Odyssey Filters
  • Basics

I'd have to think hard about putting checks or slow lands in over basics.

This is very close to what I do.

Always shocks and battle bond lands. I like filters, painlands and pathways and usually don't need slow or fast lands.

I always use terramorphic expanse and evolving wilds but that's just me.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toshimo posted:

In a 2-color deck without specific other synergies, my order would be:

• ABUR Duals
  • Shocks
  • BBD
  • Pathways
  • Fastlands
  • Painlands
  • Lorwyn Filters
  • Odyssey Filters
  • Basics

I'd have to think hard about putting checks or slow lands in over basics.

Fastlands over Slowlands? If games go to seven or eight turns, Fastlands ETB untapped 3/7 or 3/8 of the time but slowlands will etb untapped 5/7 or 3/4 of the time.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Fastlands over Slowlands? If games go to seven or eight turns, Fastlands ETB untapped 3/7 or 3/8 of the time but slowlands will etb untapped 5/7 or 3/4 of the time.

It's not linearly valuable, though; e.g., having an untapped land T2 is usually more important than an untapped land T7.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

It's not linearly valuable, though; e.g., having an untapped land T2 is usually more important than an untapped land T7.

Doesn't seem like much of an issue if you're keeping a three-land hand in a two-color deck. I imagine at least one of the other two that come into play untapped will have the color you're most likely to need during the first two turns, based on the keep.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm going to put the desert pain duals in some decks just to be annoying.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Aphrodite posted:

What’s typically used as proxies in cedh tournaments? Is paper popped in front a real card still the thing there? Considering how crazy some people are in those I wouldn’t be surprised if they can’t do that because of the tiny thickness difference.

You do what I do and just proxy everything even the commons I own and basic lands, for consistency. As long as they're in color and legible, no problems over here.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I used to be against proxies and modified cards and believe me goons have dogpiled the poo poo out of me to change my wicked ways.

Just please no power 9. Thats all I ask.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Cool Post Beg posted:

Another way to upgrade is with a sharpie

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is some next level poo poo right here

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How much would Tolarian Academy be worth if it was legal in Commander today? Gaea’s Cradle numbers?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

How much would Tolarian Academy be worth if it was legal in Commander today? Gaea’s Cradle numbers?

Significantly more than that, it's way stronger. Honestly I can't even really imagine what that format would look like at this point, just a black hole of degenerate bullshit.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Spanish Manlove posted:

yeah, you should maybe consider a few evasion things like Whispersilk Cloak and Security Bypass and Swordcoast Sailor

Aphrodite posted:

But don't you have to be smacking them in the face with Obeka anyway?
I have Swordcoast sailor + Rogue's Passage, a few trample combat tricks, stole something that gave her flying. But even with swordcoast the player with initiative doesn't necessarily have the highest life total, and in general the built in Menace is enough to hit someone. With enough initiative effects I still like taking it back pre-combat. I do self-target Obeka a lot, for the dungeon's +1 counters, combat tricks, etc, so hard shroud isn't the best.

I've played the deck a handful of times now. It sure takes a lot of Game Actions, tracking things through 5+ upkeeps gets sort of obnoxious. I played against a Paradox Haze deck and getting upkeeps right away makes Obeka a step up.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Academy would be like $3k at least, it'd be the best card in the format by far

Strip Mine and Wasteland would also skyrocket because everyone would kinda be forced to run both at that point

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The nonland clause on a lot of contemporary removal is a little annoying.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like the Commander deck face commanders for three of the decks and a few other cards, some more readable than the others.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGRumors/comments/1cc2lip/new_leak_floating_around_mh3/

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Looks like the Commander deck face commanders for three of the decks and a few other cards, some more readable than the others.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGRumors/comments/1cc2lip/new_leak_floating_around_mh3/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Queen of Vesuva gives lands and creatures "everything" counters, which gives them all lands and creature types, respectively. The land part sounds exciting potentially.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

the Jund commander is

quote:

Whenever a Lurghoyf permanent card is put into your graveyard from anywhere other than the battlefield, put it onto the battlefield
Whenever one of more creatures you control deal damage to a player create a tarmagoyf token

the eldrazi commander is

quote:

Whenever you cast an eldrazi spell you may pay :colorless: :colorless: , if you do copy all spells you control then copy all triggered and activated abilities you control

And queen of Veszuva is

quote:

When <name> enters the battlefield or attacks put an Everything counter on each of up to one target land and one target creature. Lands with an everything counter on it are every land type in addition to their other types, creatures with everything counters on them are every creature type

The alternate commander for the Simic deck is an elemental with

quote:

Whenever <name> enters the battlefield create a 1/1 forest dryad creature land for every time you've cast your commander this game.
At the beginning of combat on your turn land creatures you control get +X/+x where X is <name's> power.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Some cards say Kindred in the typeline. I wonder if that's meant to replace the Tribal supertype or if it's a new one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's replacing the tribal supertype. They made that decision when Khans of Tarkir got released on arena. They haven't gone through and done the oracle text update on all the old Tribal cards yet.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds a lot better than "typal".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kindred is only the supertype/“creature type on a non-creature” mechanic. Typal is still used everywhere else Tribal used to be, but that does mean it probably won’t ever end up printed on a card.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
I was going to build a Laughing Jasper Flint deck from stuff I grabbed at pre-release, but everytime I look at him all I can see is:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

New take on Gilded Drake from the MH3 leaks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1cd5cuy/mh3_leaks_found_on_facebook

Also a new take on Necropotence:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fm01e9cyivowc1.png

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm already dreading how much poo poo from MH3 is going to cost. I want that Drake.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Drake's gonna be an interesting include in my Araumi of the Dead Tide deck. It's floor is basically a pongify that can hit indestructibles, and <=4 cmc creatures make up a good chunk of the format if you want to keep a creature.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1ceu0us/mh3_leak_from_rumors_reddit

Looks like Black's version of Farewell.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I look forward to Scram, Skedaddle and Get The gently caress Outta Here in coming MH sets

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Acceptable card names: So Long, Goodbye, Auf Wiedersehen

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Song of the Dryads reprint named Make Like A Tree

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What does the instant named Aloha do?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I think that final effect might actually be more powerful for disarming some playstyles than any effect on Farewell.

...and it happens to be my playstyle.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I think that final effect might actually be more powerful for disarming some playstyles than any effect on Farewell.

...and it happens to be my playstyle.

Only if you're playing Infect, Energy, Experience, or Rad. Do you play those strategies often?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Only if you're playing Infect, Energy, Experience, or Rad. Do you play those strategies often?

Rad, yes. And a Thirteenth Doctor deck that builds up a bunch of +1/+1s.

Ironically, the one big counter strat it doesn't gently caress is Poison, which is probably the one people would most want to defuse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cleretic posted:

Rad, yes. And a Thirteenth Doctor deck that builds up a bunch of +1/+1s.

Ironically, the one big counter strat it doesn't gently caress is Poison, which is probably the one people would most want to defuse.

It doesn't hurt a 13th Dr deck any worse than any board wipe that doesn't cost 6.

And Maro has specifically said that removing poison from yourself is off limits for design currently.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khanstant posted:

What does the instant named Aloha do?

Aloha 3WW
Sorcery

Exile all creatures you control. Return them to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
Destroy all creatures.

It means "hello" and "goodbye". - kurt cobain

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Toshimo posted:

It doesn't hurt a 13th Dr deck any worse than any board wipe that doesn't cost 6.

And Maro has specifically said that removing poison from yourself is off limits for design currently.

The thing is that all of Farewell's (or all the rest of this black equivalent's) effects are equalizing enough to have plausible collateral; sure, only one person at the table might be using artifacts heavily enough for exiling them all to matter, but it's still gonna hurt everyone somehow. A board wipe hurts me, but it hurts everyone else. But a counter wipe actually feels way more targeted, because I rarely see more than one player at a table using them.

This kinda just spurs me into making my Mirri deck, though, make sure I have something that can throw down that isn't counters. At least if you wanna board wipe Mirri, you board wipe everyone else including yourself.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cleretic posted:

The thing is that all of Farewell's (or all the rest of this black equivalent's) effects are equalizing enough to have plausible collateral; sure, only one person at the table might be using artifacts heavily enough for exiling them all to matter, but it's still gonna hurt everyone somehow. A board wipe hurts me, but it hurts everyone else. But a counter wipe actually feels way more targeted, because I rarely see more than one player at a table using them.

This kinda just spurs me into making my Mirri deck, though, make sure I have something that can throw down that isn't counters. At least if you wanna board wipe Mirri, you board wipe everyone else including yourself.

I mean to be fair, th e counterwipe only hurts experience energy and self-rad, which is approximately 0.1% of decks. It's a weird include on the card but the card is also bad and the interaction will probably come up in one in ten thousand games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

I mean to be fair, th e counterwipe only hurts experience energy and self-rad, which is approximately 0.1% of decks. It's a weird include on the card but the card is also bad and the interaction will probably come up in one in ten thousand games.

Bad? What are you talking about?! You're gonna sit there and tell me that Wizards using up one of the modes for this direct-to-Modern card just so it can assblast Battles was not a good use of card real estate?!