Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In case the "rule zero" conversation was too easy and required too much talking to people, try this!

https://www.edhmultiverse.com/

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-edh-multiverse-a-model-of-the-edh-landscape/

I know their hearts are in the right place, and they present some useful questions, but...

what fuckin timecube rear end bullshit is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In case the "rule zero" conversation was too easy and required too much talking to people, try this!

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-edh-multiverse-a-model-of-the-edh-landscape/

I know their hearts are in the right place, and they present some useful questions, but...

I’ll only have time for one game per night after the two-hour questionnaire.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm playing commander right now. Won the first game, lost the next two, getting ready for game four. We're all friends here, which helps. There are also enough people for two pods, which helps. Rule zero conversations have been like this:

If you play Unesh, I'm playing in the other pod.
If you play Wise Mothman, I'm playing Gitrog.
This deck has un-cards in it, is that okay?
And
Kill me quickly because work just dropped and I need to spend the next 45 minutes doing it.

Maybe it's patronizing of me but the least skilled and/or equipped player determines the power level if everyone wants a fair game. Bring what you got, and I will pick mine in response.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I brought my Drake posted:

Maybe it's patronizing of me but the least skilled and/or equipped player determines the power level if everyone wants a fair game. Bring what you got, and I will pick mine in response.

This can be very difficult to tell, though. Like, theoretically this is the road to precon-onlys, but even those aren't created equal.

If there's someone running Blame Game in a pod, my money's on them even if it's not precon-only.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

yeahhhhhh no thanks

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Toph Bei Fong posted:

lmfaoi

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I won today with my super-budget Farid Enterprising Salvager deck because the Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck and the Alela Conqueror Control deck beat the poo poo out of each other.

So I eked out a win at 3 life with a Runaway trashbot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The power level solution is to not be allowed to play the deck you built, swap with another player -- unless absolutely nobody else wants to be stuck with it, then you get to play with it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Forcing people to swap decks is probably the biggest taboo you could engage in for some people. Particularly if you’re not already well acquainted.

I’ve play with some people who automatically scoop if ever an effect resolves that allows someone else to handle their cards. I get it on some level but lol when they get all huffy about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get it, everyone else seems to love to constantly bend their cards. Bend a card to play play it, bend cards while holding em to look at em, just treating them like it's not cheap rear end paper. Still, it's one of those bad feelings I want to remove, nothing positive is gained by being precious about the cards. It's also a good reminder to not get suckered into the racket and to always proxy and counterfeit.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve play with some people who automatically scoop if ever an effect resolves that allows someone else to handle their cards.

Lol what the gently caress

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Khanstant posted:

I get it, everyone else seems to love to constantly bend their cards. Bend a card to play play it, bend cards while holding em to look at em, just treating them like it's not cheap rear end paper. Still, it's one of those bad feelings I want to remove, nothing positive is gained by being precious about the cards. It's also a good reminder to not get suckered into the racket and to always proxy and counterfeit.
You aren't thinking big enough, pass your deck to the player to the left and get it back with an expensive card surreptitiously removed, or they just outright steal the entire thing. Someone who is more experienced with competitive sealed can correct me on this but I believe there was a time when events had you essentially opening and registering the sealed pool someone else would be using and that essentially led to people just opening the cards and dropping if there was any actual money in them.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve play with some people who automatically scoop if ever an effect resolves that allows someone else to handle their cards. I get it on some level but lol when they get all huffy about it.

i feel weird digging through people's decks so i don't run bribery or praetors grasp even though it can be really funny to pull something awesome. i think my Lara Croft deck has enough steal from publicly known zones stuff anyway. skipping on the red until eot jackings though.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
related tangent: i kinda sorta wish i never sold my helm of obedience or foil seedborn muse like ten years ago, but man i was happy to clear my non tuition debts by nuking my collection. somehow i still had stupid good stuff like a force of will???

faint regrets. it's just cardboard.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my buddy brought a new friend to play a few months ago and he immediately tried to riffle shuffle a borrowed deck, to the horror of everyone watching

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really wish MtG cards were on normal plastic material so we could do that without breaking the cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Khanstant posted:

I really wish MtG cards were on normal plastic material so we could do that without breaking the cards.

What, like Canadian money?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

AlternateNu posted:

My Evelyn deck is apparently incredibly obnoxious. People cannot abide seeing their deck a) Get Exiled into oblivion and b) Except I can still play it.

Although I do understand sitting there staring at my two open mana whilst your own Counterspell is face up on the table ready to ruin your own game is somewhat oppressive.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Khanstant posted:

The power level solution is to not be allowed to play the deck you built, swap with another player -- unless absolutely nobody else wants to be stuck with it, then you get to play with it.

Way back in '97 or '98 or so my buddies and I invented a format where you try to make the worst deck possible within certain parameters, then you swap decks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MissMarple posted:

My Evelyn deck is apparently incredibly obnoxious. People cannot abide seeing their deck a) Get Exiled into oblivion and b) Except I can still play it.

Although I do understand sitting there staring at my two open mana whilst your own Counterspell is face up on the table ready to ruin your own game is somewhat oppressive.

Lol

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gynovore posted:

Way back in '97 or '98 or so my buddies and I invented a format where you try to make the worst deck possible within certain parameters, then you swap decks.

We should bring this back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/23qpl2/how_to_win_in_21024_9234_turns_with_7_cards/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

What, like Canadian money?

I've never had any, I just mean poker cards, don't become marked as easily, don't crease at lightest bend, don't curl if the air is too wet or dry, don't scratch because you set it on the table once.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
*monkey's paw curls a finger, magic cards are now plastic coated and cost $20 per standard booster*

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MissMarple posted:

My proudest moment that I had basically nothing to do with was tapping out to put Mind’s Dilation on the field.

Opponent across from me casts a game winning spell with double counter backup and flipped his own Dovin’s Veto off my Dilation. :v:

Sorry, dude!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Mind's Dilation in Neera is just a joyous experience for all concerned, excluding your opponents

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mind's Dilation in Neera is just a joyous experience for all concerned, excluding your opponents

I just noticed Neera's toughness is 7. 2/7 is such a weird stat line.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
In an effort to try to get more general cards to make Mothman work, I bought a few All Will Be One packs. It was a good move, there's a lot of Proliferate in his colors, and the Mirrodin cards are pretty comfy in Dogmeat to boot. But now I have a lot of Toxic cards, and I'm trying to figure out what you could possibly do to include Toxic into a deck that wouldn't completely skew threat assessment into 'kill me first'. Even if you aren't trying to win with poison counters and are just trying to proc Corrupted, you still read as public enemy number one.

The most horrifying idea I have is to instead slip it into my Thirteenth Doctor voltron deck. You all already think I'm the biggest threat by commander damage, all adding poison counters does is increase the amount of clocks on you.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you're not targeting yourself much then Venerated Rotpriest effectively gives your creatures "Ward: Get 1 Poison", which ideally isn't too salt inducing. Bloated Contaminator is good for both proliferate and being a good body to put counters on - I have one in my deck and the toxic 1 is largely flavour text.

Poison is very pod dependent though, the people that hate it really hate it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you're not targeting yourself much then Venerated Rotpriest effectively gives your creatures "Ward: Get 1 Poison", which ideally isn't too salt inducing. Bloated Contaminator is good for both proliferate and being a good body to put counters on - I have one in my deck and the toxic 1 is largely flavour text.

Poison is very pod dependent though, the people that hate it really hate it.

Both of these are very good ideas for the angle that I've ultimately landed on for what to do with these poisoners: a Mirri commander deck, basically focused on stuffing the board with different varieties of threats that you ABSOLUTELY don't want to be swinging at you. Toxic, Aberrant, Cadira, Angel of Destiny. A couple deathtouches, my old friend the Foretold Soldier.

Basically, turn every single combat round into a Sophie's Choice.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any suggestions for a deck that doesn't rely on it's commander that much? Just a big old pile of good stuff that its nice if you have the commander out, but having them in play isn't integral for the deck winning?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any suggestions for a deck that doesn't rely on it's commander that much? Just a big old pile of good stuff that its nice if you have the commander out, but having them in play isn't integral for the deck winning?

The original Edgar Markov. Otherwise you're probably just looking at any 5C commander and then you make up your own theme.

E:

I guess Inalla, Archmage Ritualist works just fine from the Command Zone, but ETB Wizards isn't really going to make any waves at the table.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 18, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Oloro is the poster child for this. Gaining 2 life every turn is nice, and it's Esper colors which is where all the non-green goodstuff cards are anyway. There's a lot of cards that trigger off your guaranteed life gain. You can get him on the table and get some cards to go with your life, but it's not necessary.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Edgar Markov or The Ur-Dragon

Quite literally most of the decks in the top 20 of popularity on EDHrec

https://edhrec.com/commanders

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
On the other end, is there a commander that actively makes any deck worse? Not just really bad deck building synergy, but a commander that would just gently caress up an otherwise decent 99 gameplan.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

On the other end, is there a commander that actively makes any deck worse? Not just really bad deck building synergy, but a commander that would just gently caress up an otherwise decent 99 gameplan.

Child of Alara. Get your whole board blown up if someone kills it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Khanstant posted:

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Boros equipment.

There are a bunch of possible commanders, and you're probably putting them all in the 99 anyways. The specific one you pick for the commander may affect a few choices (for example, mine uses Reyav Master Smith so I don't bother with equipment or spells that grant double-strike, but if you go with Bruenor Battlehammer you can have more equipments with higher equip costs) but in general 95% of the deck will be unaffected and just does Boros equipment stuff.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

You just build the deck in such a way that it doesn't affect you, like tapping a Winter Orb with Urza.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Phage the Untouchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

WUBRG Jared Carthalion works pretty well for me. Considering some of my good stuff in the deck is Broker's Ascendancy and Simic Ascendency along with tutors in three colors to go find them.