Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

if it's typed it's nearly a flat upgrade to basics which is generally a bad sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1bu2s92/big_lotus_ring_rebell_son/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

imweasel09 posted:

if it's typed it's nearly a flat upgrade to basics which is generally a bad sign.

I was thinking of a downgrade from duals. If it enters tapped it's just as bad as every enters tapped land. What if it's untyped?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Khanstant posted:

Treasure Island
Island
Tap to add U
Tap Sac to add one mana of any colour

Would this kinda land cycle be busted? Seems fair to me to enter untapped if you're having to sacrifice to get the off colour.

Yeah, basically a free sac land for any landfall deck

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

I was thinking of a downgrade from duals. If it enters tapped it's just as bad as every enters tapped land. What if it's untyped?

Less good but still stupid good. The Neon Dynasty channel lands are a good point of comparison in that basically everyone thinks that they should never have been printed as things that just do what basics do but more, and in some decks the ones you describe are better

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Khanstant posted:

"worse than the ABU duals" can still be way too overpowered. They're the best lands in all of magic by a fair margin and probably shouldn't exist.

With a card like this, I would be trying to not overshoot the NEO legendary lands, which are already super good and go in basically every deck. If you want it to be pushed, it should probably be closer to the pathways.

If I was tasked with making this card, I would either just reprint archaeological dig, or remove the typing and then give it something like "etb tapped unless you control an island"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Special lands, like shocks and fetches, should be FNM or other store promos. They can go in every deck and are valuable to everyone, and also should be printed into the ground for a low barrier to entry. While I'm not complaining about free stuff, my store gave me a promo ravenous chupacabra for being diligent about signing up on the companion app when I go there for commander night. I looked at it and politely said thank you then put it in my binder, but there's no way in hell I'm ever going to play that card. Meanwhile I got a path of ancestry promo one time and immediately went to slot that into a deck

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

"worse than the ABU duals" can still be way too overpowered. They're the best lands in all of magic by a fair margin and probably shouldn't exist.

With a card like this, I would be trying to not overshoot the NEO legendary lands, which are already super good and go in basically every deck. If you want it to be pushed, it should probably be closer to the pathways.

If I was tasked with making this card, I would either just reprint archaeological dig, or remove the typing and then give it something like "etb tapped unless you control an island"

Okay last time I bug about this idea. It was really just a falling asleep idea of "oh wouldn't it be cute to have a Treasure Island" that was functionally a Treasure token land. But that seemed so bad, hence trying to make it a worse ABU dual. I don't like double faced cards so just didn't go there. I think Hearthstone added a card that was literally just "the coin" a free extra mana card the player going second gets as a catch-up mechanic, it wasn't good in every deck but it the right shell it was a free mana and draw a card effect. Maybe a literal treasure land that sacs would be crazy for the right mtg deck too.

My last ditch idea was just: Tap for Main mana or tap sac for off color. To me that against seemed too bad to play and isn't the treasure theme anymore. I have a bad judgement of landfall type effects from them not being a thing in arena standard, draft, or commander when I've played them. I weigh the idea of sac a land as more a drawback than it probably is when I know there are decks that can do things with the effect.

This is a skill issue on my end, y'all are saying it's too good and I believe you, but I also wouldn't put it in my existing commander decks because I do not want to sacrifice a land in any of them, I don't even like tap entering lands if I can avoid em. I'd want to sac that land as a desperate grasp, but I can Intuit how a better player and deck might break that kind of mechanic.

Thanks for indulging me, sometimes a cute idea can just be a cute idea unfit for print.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 2, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's a reason why lotus petal is still $20

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khanstant posted:

Treasure Island
Island
Tap to add U
Tap Sac to add one mana of any colour

Would this kinda land cycle be busted? Seems fair to me to enter untapped if you're having to sacrifice to get the off colour.

We have these already from Odyssey block, except they're untyped and etbt

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
In magic, we already had "The Coin." It was called Lotus Petal. And it was a legit very powerful card. Not every deck wanted it but it was very good.

quote:

My last ditch idea was just: Tap for Main mana or tap sac for off color. To me that against seemed too bad to play and isn't the treasure theme anymore.

The danger here is not that you made a basic land with too good of a bonus ability tacked onto it. It's that you tacked a bonus ability onto a basic land.
If you made a card that was "land - island, {1,000,000},{t}: add one of any color" that would still be, I think, a design error.

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a reason why lotus petal is still $20

And speaking to cards that are basic lands+, Hammerheim is the worst version of "a basic land with an ability tacked on." It does basically nothing aside from being a land that taps for red in 99.9% of games. It's still 15 dollars because it's free (game resource wise, obviously it's 15 dollars in real terms) to put in your commander deck..

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 2, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I have some of those in commander decks just because many of them I don't allow more than 1 of basics in em. I love those kinda old lands and true duals but I understand why they want basic lands to be the best lands. The line between busted and printing trash is very thin, doesn't leave very much to play with. Plus a lot of mechanics carefully balanced on lands being the way they are.

Caves was a fun way to play with lands that wasn't just draft filler unplayable duals, but required a lot of synergy and dedicated set mechanics to make anything out of.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
what about food land?

i honestly would rather get an evergreen token land as a rare than the man lands or whatever they're called when you pay to turn them into a creature until end of turn

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you want magic to be a game where people don't play basics and instead play strictly better cards, that's certainly a way the game can be. I'm opposed to those kinds of cards for a few reasons, however.

1. they make the game harder to get into.
I can't just make a cheap monocolored deck and slam my basics. I have to find the top mono-coloured lands to be competitive. And, because every single deck in my color wants them, they're not gonna be cheap.

2. they make the game more complicated.
Onboard tricks aren't fun, especially for new players. Onboard tricks stuck onto lands are even less fun. This is already a bit of a problem with having to keep track of what manlands are up when deciding whether to attack. But, when every land is a pendelhaven or a minamo, that's just a constant headache.

Even if they're not combat relevant abilities tacked on, I still think it adds too much complexity for little benefit. The fun part of magic is playing my cards. I think that my lands should make it easy for me to tell when I can play my cards, and it should be relatively easy to play my cards and leave up mana for interaction. The more abilities you tack onto lands, the more complicated this process gets.

Yes I also have opinions about filter lands and pain lands. I don't want to think about my lands after I play them beyond what colors they make.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Dr. Stab posted:

And speaking to cards that are basic lands+, Hammerheim is the worst version of "a basic land with an ability tacked on." It does basically nothing aside from being a land that taps for red in 99.9% of games. It's still 15 dollars because it's free (game resource wise, obviously it's 15 dollars in real terms) to put in your commander deck..

With the new Crime mechanic, we might be able to get that down to only 99% of games!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
in fairness, the obvious answer to "nonbasic lands are too good" is to print nonbasic land hate, but that's a road wizards has been really afraid to walk down

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

nrook posted:

in fairness, the obvious answer to "nonbasic lands are too good" is to print nonbasic land hate, but that's a road wizards has been really afraid to walk down

I miss when Anathemancer and Fulminator Mage were in standard.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nrook posted:

Reprint Price of Progress into Standard, cowards!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've seen old magic cards from the eras when people didn't gently caress with creatures if they didn't have to, with insane upkeep costs like sacrificing multiple lands and then you get some 2/4 swampwalker for 5 mana and it's like what the hell kinda manabase were they thinking people would have to be able to use any of that stuff. I feel like you could stock a cube with enough of those old lovely spells and creatures and make up custom SuperDuals that tap for 2 mana 1 of each colour and a bunch of other blatantly broken lands and still struggle to field these long enough to survive and do their meager things.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It was just a slower game then. You played your 3/3 on turn 4 and that was a decent enough threat. The control decks were trying to win with millstone. You had enough time.

e: mana was busted then also. But, it didn't really help the creature decks. t1 dark ritual hypnotic specter is a great play but t1 dark ritual necropotence is better.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 2, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

It was just a slower game then. You played your 3/3 on turn 4 and that was a decent enough threat. The control decks were trying to win with millstone. You had enough time.

e: mana was busted then also. But, it didn't really help the creature decks. t1 dark ritual hypnotic specter is a great play but t1 dark ritual necropotence is better.

* pays 19 life so I can make some 19/19s with my artifact *

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanted a new take on the colossus of sardia with Brother's War, instead I got the Sardian Avenger who rules.

He should have been in the base set so I could run four of them in that standard.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I require assistance.

I'm on deployment, and Big Navy have almost every MTG rules resource site bocked, so I don't have access to Scryfall. There's a guy onboard who thinks that Leyline of the Guildpact allows him to tap any land for one of EACH color mana, because they are every land type. I have an app on my phone with all the rules, but I'm struggling to find the exact rule that explains why he's wrong.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I require assistance.

I'm on deployment, and Big Navy have almost every MTG rules resource site bocked, so I don't have access to Scryfall. There's a guy onboard who thinks that Leyline of the Guildpact allows him to tap any land for one of EACH color mana, because they are every land type. I have an app on my phone with all the rules, but I'm struggling to find the exact rule that explains why he's wrong.

No, they are every land type which just gives them the individual tap abilities they don't already have.

E:

A triome has three basic land types and only taps for one color at a time, for example. Duals are the same, but smaller.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I mean the rule is

quote:

305.6 The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words “basic land type,” it’s referring to one of these subtypes. An object with the land card type and a basic land type has the intrinsic ability “{T}: Add [mana symbol],” even if the text box doesn’t actually contain that text or the object has no text box. For Plains, [mana symbol] is {W}; for Islands, {U}; for Swamps, {B}; for Mountains, {R}; and for Forests, {G}. See rule 107.4a. See also rule 605, “Mana Abilities.”

If your guy thinks that things with two tap abilities can use both of them simultaneously, idk what to tell you.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
"Strictly better than a basic land" is a line that Wizards has been willing to cross the past 5 years. If you are playing monored, there is no reason not to stick in one copy of Castle Embereth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gynovore posted:

"Strictly better than a basic land" is a line that Wizards has been willing to cross the past 5 years. If you are playing monored, there is no reason not to stick in one copy of Castle Embereth.

Doesn't mean I like it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Gynovore posted:

Castle Embereth isn't strictly better than a basic mountain. It doesn't have a basic land type and only enters untapped conditionally. EDIT: The first doesn't matter much specifically in monored or in formats where fetchlands don't exist, but the latter does. If your opening hand in monored burn/aggro only has one or two mountains, that's actually ideal in a lot of cases. If your opening hand only has one or two Castle Embereths, that's a huge problem.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 3, 2024

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gynovore posted:

WOTC has hosed up crossing that line multiple times in the history of magic, it makes sense that they'd be gunshy until recently. It's only been the current era where nonland card quality has been high enough that they've felt more comfortable, and as pointed out the kamigawa channelands are still pushing it. But Magic made that bed a long time ago wrt having nonland sources of mana, and this is the Sol Ring format, so I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
new type of basic: double basic that does two of its type of mana. the mountain mountain does two red, plain plains two white, etc. etb untapped, completely balanced, please hire me wotc I'm not an ai bot, just stupid.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Typed duals, but only ETB untapped if played from your hand

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Typed duals but only ETB untapped if played from your deck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lands with companion.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Typed duals but they only ETB untapped if played directly from your butt.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
typed duals but they can only enter play from exile or sideboard

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Typed dual that ETB untapped but cannot be tapped.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Typed dual 1/1 creature lands that draw you a card when they die

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
typed dual lands that can't be tapped to produce mana unless you control five or more lands

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Party Miser posted:

typed dual lands that can't be tapped to produce mana unless you control five or more lands

Now you're cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Dual lands that ETB tapped unless you lost your last game with that deck.