Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pseudanonymous posted:

Kediss is really good, he's in a comp deck. You can also use him with infect to kill all your opponents at once with a one-punch deck, which I think is pretty funny.

The rest are ok. I thought it would be fun to make a deck with five color commanders matter using the friends forever with Eleven and Mike to play all the familiars. And maybe a bunch of the lieutenants too and all the "if you commander" and "commnaders you" and # of times you cast your commander cards.

But I woudln't say they are particularly good. Esior is nice in that you can get him out before an important commander and your commander comes out with Ward. Anara and Keleth are meh, Falthis you could use to give a pinger commander deathtouch which would be obnoxious, but I don't know if its "good".

I've always wanted to build a W/B keyword soup deck with Falthis and Akroma, Vision of Ixidor just because I think it's funny Akroma makes cat a 5/5. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grevlek posted:

They are absolute slam dunks in Arcades and Korvold, like you can get Korvold out turn 3 with something to sac ( the familiar ) without a penny spent on fast mana.

You do know they don't double dip, right?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toshimo posted:

You do know they don't double dip, right?

'cause it's one line of rules text instead of two like Augustin has, right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

'cause it's one line of rules text instead of two like Augustin has, right?

Correct.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Correct.

well never mind i'm much less hype on them now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They're still good!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Heath posted:

They're still good!

for sure but in my head i was getting 2 medallions on a body, now i'm getting 2 conditional medallions for a single reduction on a body. no need to get 500 from tcgplayer now

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

pseudanonymous posted:

Kediss is really good, he's in a comp deck. You can also use him with infect to kill all your opponents at once with a one-punch deck, which I think is pretty funny.

The rest are ok. I thought it would be fun to make a deck with five color commanders matter using the friends forever with Eleven and Mike to play all the familiars. And maybe a bunch of the lieutenants too and all the "if you commander" and "commnaders you" and # of times you cast your commander cards.

But I woudln't say they are particularly good. Esior is nice in that you can get him out before an important commander and your commander comes out with Ward. Anara and Keleth are meh, Falthis you could use to give a pinger commander deathtouch which would be obnoxious, but I don't know if its "good".

I meant the real Familiars, from Planeshift

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Silhouette posted:

I meant the real Familiars, from Planeshift

Yes, I was in error. I'll fall on my Hanzo blade in shame in just a moment, once I finish this TPS report.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, I was in error. I'll fall on my Umezawa's Jitte in shame in just a moment, once I finish this TPS report.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
It feels like the CL familiars would have been better served being companions than partners.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grevlek posted:

It feels like the CL familiars would have been better served being companions than partners.

You wanna bet they originally were, and then they slammed the brakes on it after Ikoria?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

You wanna bet they originally were, and then they slammed the brakes on it after Ikoria?

lmao, my thoughts exactly

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Heath posted:

10000% this is what happened

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s no way that happened, the designs for the cards don’t have enough time between Ikoria’ release (April 2020) and Commander Legends (November 2020) to budge a single letter, much redesign their entire core mechanic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah I'd say at best they were companions in an earlier draft buy someone pulled back and said 'let's see how the mechanic goes over first'.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svUaYeBWLmA

Personally I feel like the best set(s) for EDH that EDH wasn't considered is probably Ravnica block. I don't count Commander Legends since it was a set specifically made for EDH play.

I personally never opened any packs of Conspiracy or Battlebond like Proff prefers.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I want to say I think Ikoria had some of the coolest EDH stuff in recent history, but at least half of the coolest stuff was in the commander precons :v:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I really wish I could participate in a Conspiracy draft. That set was before my time but I love all the cards from it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I mentioned how mediocre my decks felt when playing against someone that clearly had much better tuned decks. I've always been a pretty lousy at putting decks together, so what are some commanders you guys would recommend building around so that I can try honing that skill? We've talked about things like having good pieces of interaction in a deck (in sufficient amounts) and I've asked about using the Game Knights template as a starting point, but what are some other good things to keep in mind?

E: I guess I'm just susceptible to falling into the trap of adding cards to a deck that might work within a theme but are either not that great (overcosted, for example), or don't really help further my game plan in a significant way.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 4, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

I mentioned how mediocre my decks felt when playing against someone that clearly had much better tuned decks. I've always been a pretty lousy at putting decks together, so what are some commanders you guys would recommend building around so that I can try honing that skill? We've talked about things like having good pieces of interaction in a deck (in sufficient amounts) and I've asked about using the Game Knights template as a starting point, but what are some other good things to keep in mind?

E: I guess I'm just susceptible to falling into the trap of adding cards to a deck that might work within a theme but are either not that great (overcosted, for example), or don't really help further my game plan in a significant way.

Personally I pick a commander that I just personally find fun to do things with, a lot of trial and error, figuring it out. I always make room for at least one or two "pet" cards that are just really old/obscure/does some really janky poo poo that if it works is hilarious but I'm not too bummed if it doesn't happen. Checking EDHREC as far as the particular commander you want to use and how it's used in EDHREC depending if you're going with a theme, tribal, etc etc etc has helped me just get a more defined vision of what I personally want from my deck, even if I don't really use the card recommendations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
100% build a tribal mid-power deck and try to make it as insane as you can. There is something practically academic about the process of delving into a particular creature types history and their most powerful cards and themes and how best to layer that over 100 card singleton. You could apply the same ideology to any generic theme I suppose, like Abzan counters or UR Storm, but in general I think just picking your favorite tribe that you don’t have in your toolbox already and really focus on cutting out the wheat from the chaff, keeping your mana curve low and efficient, and finding inter-block synergies that provide unintended interactions.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Here's my build pathway:

If I've chosen or am choosing a commander, I look at my proposed deck idea and ask this:

How much of my strategy revolves around the Commander itself?

This is the most important thing, in my opinion, because it's going to have the most influence over your deckbuilding pathway. For example, I have a Marchesa, the Black Rose rogues tribal deck. The deck functions perfectly well if I never cast Marchesa at all, because the focus of the deck is entirely on synergies that rogue creatures naturally have with each other, which it turns out are a lot. You'll note that even though the deck is rogue tribal, the commander herself is not even a rogue, she's a wizard. But her ability enables the shenanigans of other rogues, because a lot of them have ETB triggers, and her ability allows me to recur those rogues and get them to reenter the battlefield. It simply adds value, it doesn't depend on the commander. She also gives me the colors I want (Grixis.) I had Anowon as the commander originally, but I decided that I was missing out on not being able to use all of the red rogues and having access to haste effects, which are important for an aggressive deck. I would put this commander's necessity level at low-medium.

Next tier up I have a Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate deck. Linvala on her own doesn't do much, but she is an aggressive 3/3 flier that I can get out early. My deck is in Azorius colors and ramps poorly and is more a sort of battlecruiser archetype, so Linvala's function is to protect my board while I build up the resources to get out my big beater angels and other high-costed stuff. I also run a lot of board wipes to suppress my opponents, but what Linvala does is make them asymmetrical so I don't lose investments in my big creatures by blowing them up. Her whole job is to protect. The deck can work without her, but it's definitely hindered and I'm left open by her not being there. As such, my buildpath has a lot of redundancies and recursion, as well as cost reduction, to counter or avoid commander tax as much as possible. The deck isn't totally dead if she's not there, but it's really crippled by her not being around. I would put her necessity level at medium.

Third I have a Dina, Soul Steeper lifegain-drain deck. The entire deck is built around incidental lifegain cards like Lifegift, Roots of Life-Urborg combo, Pristine Talisman, etc. When I gain life, everybody loses 1 life. I have included every single card in the game that has that exact text on it (three, it turns out) so that I have some redundancy, because if Dina isn't draining life from people, the deck just spins its wheels and I gain life but I don't win. I do have a few other failsafes in there with Exsanguinate and Beledros Witherbloom, which is usually a game ender, but the deck is very much primarily built around Dina being out. It really sails with that line of text suppressing the board. I would put her necessity at medium-high.

Finally I have a Mairsil, the Pretender deck. Marisil is often the only creature, and very often the only nonland permanent, I have on the board at any given time. He absolutely, positively needs to stay on the board at all costs. If I can't get him rolling, the deck is dead, period. All of the cards in the deck are tuned specifically to work with his very unique text and are almost worthless in just about any other deck (who the hell else is gonna run Farmstead Gleaner?) Marisil's necessity level is 100%, absolutely necessary.

This is all variable, of course. But this is typically where I start with building a deck. I look at the commander and think, just how necessary is it this guy gets out every single game, every single time? If this commander abso-posi-lutely needs to be out, you're going to want to devote a sizable portion of your deck to removal and protection, preferably instant speed, low CMC stuff, and cheap counterspells. Start here first, then make adjustments as necessary. Included in this is how many colors your commander has. Getting screwed out of one color that you need to cast your commander is a huge bummer. If you're 3 or more colors, make sure you have a way to at least filter a color you need, same if they happen to have more than one pip of a particular color.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

100% build a tribal mid-power deck and try to make it as insane as you can. There is something practically academic about the process of delving into a particular creature types history and their most powerful cards and themes and how best to layer that over 100 card singleton. You could apply the same ideology to any generic theme I suppose, like Abzan counters or UR Storm, but in general I think just picking your favorite tribe that you don’t have in your toolbox already and really focus on cutting out the wheat from the chaff, keeping your mana curve low and efficient, and finding inter-block synergies that provide unintended interactions.

Allies was always a pet tribe I wanted to make a deck for, which is why I was asking for (and got) suggestions for this deck, but the list just doesn't feel right.

-Reflections of Littjara seems like a lot of value, but is it a trap?
--Would I be better served by a different card at a lower CMC that just does something else like draw me cards, or maybe Thassa as an additional Teleportation Circle/Conjurer's Closet effect?

-Are the ETB effects strong enough to include cards like Panharmonicon and Yarok, or should I dedicate those slots to other cards as well?
--If the ETB effects aren't strong enough to double, is it even worth having cards like Teleportation Circle to begin with?

-I don't have a terribly high amount of removal, one-sided board wipes, card draw, or cards that address artifacts and enchantments.

-I shoved like ten two CMC mana rocks in there and I don't know if that number is excessive.
--I didn't include Beastcaller Savant in the list because I thought that 1) a non-creature artifact is less vulnerable as a source of mana, and 2) limiting the mana to just creature spells was too much of a restriction.

Aura Shards seems like a good addition to the deck and Descendants' Path feels like a card that could result in good value (free spell) but that could also just screw me over when I reveal a card I need but is not an Ally. Maybe Allies is just a weak tribe in general and I should look elsewhere for the time being.

E: Was typing a response to Bust so I hadn't seen your reply yet Heath. Didn't want you to think I skipped over it! Same with Jiro.

E2: Asked a judge about Umezawa triggering if you returned him to your hand for Ninjutsu:

"Yes. He is in play when the Ninjitsu is activated and the triggered ability resolves before he is returned to your hand."

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 4, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've made some adjustments after playing with my friend:

code:
1 Kaalia of the Vast

1 Commander's Sphere
1 Coalition Relic
1 Mox Diamond
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Arcane Signet
1 Grim Monolith
1 Mana Vault
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring
1 Dragon's Hoard
1 Scroll Rack
1 Liquimetal Torque
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Orb of Dragonkind
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Ruby Medallion
1 Staff of Nin
1 Skullclamp
1 Tome of Legends
1 Mask of Memory
1 Mind's Eye
1 Adult Gold Dragon
1 Goldspan Dragon
1 Immersturm Predator
1 Manaform Hellkite
1 Piru, the Volatile
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
1 Shadrix Silverquill
1 Velomachus Lorehold
1 Bladewing the Risen
1 Lathliss, Dragon Queen
1 Scourge of Valkas
1 Nesting Dragon
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Dragon Mage
1 Rapacious Dragon
1 Thunder Dragon
1 Hoard-Smelter Dragon
1 Scourge of Kher Ridges
1 Skyline Despot
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Dragonkin Berserker
1 Utvara Hellkite
1 Terror of Mount Velus
1 Terror of the Peaks
1 Dragonspeaker Shaman
1 Dragonlord's Servant
1 Anger
1 Land Tax
1 Awaken the Sky Tyrant
1 Dragon Tempest
1 Dragon Roost
1 Fervor
1 Dragon's Fire
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Spit Flame
1 Badlands
1 Scrubland
1 Plateau
1 Blood Crypt
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Shadowblood Ridge
1 Graven Cairns
1 Fetid Heath
1 Rugged Prairie
1 Rocky Tar Pit
1 Marsh Flats
1 Arid Mesa
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Mountain (a)
2 Swamp (a)
2 Plains (a)
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Sulfurous Springs
1 City of Brass
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Tarnished Citadel
1 Mana Confluence
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Silent Clearing
1 Sunbaked Canyon
1 Crucible of the Spirit Dragon
1 Temple of the Dragon Queen
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Sarkhan, Fireblood
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Crux of Fate
1 Vindicate
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Reforge the Soul
1 Faithless Looting
It's faster but against a "Tainted Pact+Thassa's Oracle" its rare I get to do much before turn five.

I've added in some card draw/hand resets as a problem is against decks that do interactions once I use up my hand that's it and I can't do anything else. And trimmed out some dragons that didn't add much to the strategy or synergize well in order to put in some more interaction cards.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Was watching the 5 Cards, 5 Lessons from 2021 video on the Gemstone Mine Podcast Youtube channel and heard him mention having taken a beating from an Adeline deck a few weeks ago. I believe this might be the list. It looks fun!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Rashmi, Eternities crafter

Play a bunch of mana dorks and ramp cards + good counterspells that cost between 0-2 mana.
Then add a couple win conditions like Craterhoof and Capsize + Seedborn Muse.

The deck kind of builds itself from there, but you are going to have to find the right balance between ramp, counters, and wincons.
You will burry your opponents in card advantage while getting to see why Blue is historically broken, and why ramp is great in commander. Rashmi also solves the issue with ramp flooding out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was watching the 5 Cards, 5 Lessons from 2021 video on the Gemstone Mine Podcast Youtube channel and heard him mention having taken a beating from an Adeline deck a few weeks ago. I believe this might be the list. It looks fun!

drat that looks awesome. I love how over time there's become such a high density of extremely powerful hatebears that a deck like this is not only possible but very viable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Batterypowered7 posted:

"Winconless cEDH Stax"

:getin:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

"Winconless cEDH Stax"

:getin:

I imagine that's because there isn't an instant combo win, right?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Kinda want to build that Adeline deck....

Also god bless the Moxfield Collection/Wish List feature. It was a little tedious to get it started but it gives me a really nice look at what I'd need to pick up if I want to build any particular cEDH list.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
First game of the year last night, a cEDH pod with me (Heliod), Kinnan, Kykar, and Jeska//Ishai. On turn two I played Urza’s Saga and I could not believe how powerful and impactful that card was, it literally won me the game. Beating down with a pair of 9/9’s after uncounterably grabbing Grafdigger’s Cage?

The card quality in my Mono-W prison list has just shot through the roof in the last year, Heliod is really capable of hanging and banging at any table now, now exceptions. Gotta find room for Intrepid Adversary as well!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
cEDH has become pretty exciting over the past couple years and so many new doors have been opened for lower-color decks. Like yeah you can totally still play 4-color partners or 5-color, but some of the most intriguing decks I've seen lately are monocolor and 2-color-- and it feels like every pairing (even Boros and Selesnya) are valid now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We still don’t really have a cEDH Orzhov deck, and the only Rakdos decks are Prosper/Grenzo and those are both Doomsday combo still. Osgir is good but not cEDH viable because his combos have too many fiddly steps without the resilience of Gitrog, and Koll seems ok but only one Content Creator believes in that deck so nobody even knows it’s viable. Hopefully we’ll see more R/B commanders with more exciting ideas in 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

We still don’t really have a cEDH Orzhov deck, and the only Rakdos decks are Prosper/Grenzo and those are both Doomsday combo still.

Okay yeah Orzhov sucks. I guess there's a Tymna/Tevesh Szat deck though?

Rakdos has Anje and Kroxa too.

quote:

Osgir is good but not cEDH viable because his combos have too many fiddly steps without the resilience of Gitrog, and Koll seems ok but only one Content Creator believes in that deck so nobody even knows it’s viable. Hopefully we’ll see more R/B commanders with more exciting ideas in 2022

Boros most notably has Winota! Koll and Osgir are cool too.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

That Adeline deck is cool, wish it didn’t cost $2,200.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TotalHell posted:

That Adeline deck is cool, wish it didn’t cost $2,200.

The cost is mostly in the usual suspects, just cut Mox Diamond and City of Traitors and you've already taken over 1k off the cost

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That Adeline list looks sweet as gently caress and you could easily make a budget version of that list for between $300-$500 that could hang at any table. Adeline is a great win con, she scales really well. Elesh Norn is also a win con.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Just noticed the Adeline list only has 99 cards. Wonder what he forgot to add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’ve got a sweet Adeline deck up on my channel that also happens to be 100% human tribal with very little compromises. Check it out on Commander Mechanic.