Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Thanks for this post! I was going to come in and ask some questions about building my first commander deck but you provided a tremendous amount of resources and suggestions.

I have a few precons but I’m going to build my first one with Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale for a knights/equipment deck. Just getting all my old cards together to sort through for some gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Hello thread!

I'm trying to put together this Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale deck and I would like some advice on the direction its headed, the direction it should be headed, and some advice on cutting it down and substitutions. It looks like the general theme of decks for this commander are pretty Voltron oriented so that seems like the main win condition. Phyrexian Crusader kind of seemed like a neat alternate win-con but its a little bit pricey. I will eventually add some of the spendier equipments if I end up liking the deck but for now I'd like to keep it under $200. My intention is for casual play but would like to be somewhat competitive if I walked into a LGS with it.

Its currently at 109 cards. I know I need to cut some creatures, artifacts, and also was wondering about how many board wipes would be a fit.

Would it be appropriate to cut a few of the Knights that are just Knight-based synergy Like Inspiring Veteran in favor of some that are more equipment oriented? I like the flavor of the Eldraine Adventure cards and kind of want to hang on to those.

Are Whispersilk Cloak and Lightning Greaves too redundant with each other? I'm also slightly concerned about the inconvenience of Shroud in an equipment deck as I would have to unequip them first.

I haven't given the mana too close of a look yet, just thrown in a rough idea of what I want.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/PFhn7IWxsUuaJviXIiSbEQ

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 30, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Thanks for the tips! It clearly needs some work and these will help quite a bit. I’ll tinker a bit and repost for another look.

Regarding board wipes, it’s not my intention to run all of those, just to try and figure out which ones that are most appropriate.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Party Miser posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about unless you mean Queen Marchesa. I've been lurking this one and the last thread for awhile and figured I'd ask. Also don't know how Marchesa it's case in point for treasure? Should i have not responded to a Bust Rodd post?

Kinda rude to Rodd, imo.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

I got a great deal on an Ice Age MP Necropotence that I expected to look terrible but when I arrived it was pretty alright!

Always be slumming it in LP/MP, especially if you're using one of the card trade sites. Lots of folks just default all of their want lists to NM without thinking to change it, so if you request LP or MP you can get hooked up in a hurry.

This is good advice. I’ll keep it in mind when I’m ordering cards after in the future.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I brought my Drake posted:

Yesterday I traded for an HP Empress Galina for a dumb Zedruu deck and the other person wanted some older LP/MP 2-3 dollar cards for it. I have mixed feelings about Deckbox but people will usually cut you a deal on non-English cards or cards in bad condition. I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't mind either.

I’ve been (slowly) sorting through my childhood collection for stuff to put into commander decks and I’m sure some people in this thread would cry seeing the shape some pretty expensive cards are in. Doesn’t really matter to me since I don’t plan on selling ever but I do (double) sleeve everything now.

Buying a few more ratty cards on the cheap would just fit right in.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

The Professor is a treasure and I'm not surprised that WotC doesn't send him merch despite being the largest (is he?) MTG youtube personality. I do very much appreciate his contribution to MTG as a whole. I will have to check out that Command Zone episode.

edit: Youtube popularity is the first thing they discuss.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 4, 2022

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Heath posted:

Just bring back Phil and Kaja for every card

My Sorceress Queen playmat approves this message.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

This is the only kickstarter I've ever backed. I'm stoked personally and on behalf of the Professor. The stache better be legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Maybe not that.