Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Awesome OP for the most awesome format!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Could you please put Gemstone Mine in the OP under Goon content creators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-zDGLvhmvg
they make good content for easy listening.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Archidekt and Moxfield are just like Skype and Zoom. Archidekt had the built in user base and all the time in the world to turn into a program people wanted, Moxfield showed up and just said “Hi, I have a very active dev team and will just add all the features people want right away instead of shrugging my shoulders for 5 years and saying “eh it’s good enough” and Lo! & Behold the program with the better and more responsive backend team won out in the end.

Skype had a 20 year head start on Zoom and Zoom ate their fuckin lunch money because of this same issue. It’s not enough to be a program people need, you have to be a program they want!

Infinite Karma posted:

I beat my entire pod to death earlier today with a single 8/8, then 9/9, Urza Construct token over the course of 12 turns, it was rough. But taking out the players with the most interaction first meant it was easier to keep my gravy train rolling.

This was a great example of why Stax pods require a lot of intention before the game even starts. I saw we were playing a pod of Winota and Urza so I decided not to play my own Heliod Stax onto that pod and it was still a nightmare. In any of those triple/quad Stax games, I always feel like one of the Stax decks (the one with countermagic) is gonna be heavily favored. This is why I gotta build Minsc for our pods, I need an Anti-Stax Stax list, we got too many Stax!!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Our pod has a very weird selective memory, it’s true. I cannot count how many times I’ve gone “hey guys, that’s Najeela” and everyone is like “yup, Stax, Stax, Rule of Law, More Stax” “ok now I can’t move or draw cards or cast spells” “yeah, I know, that’s crazy, anyways attack with Najeela, make 16 warriors”

Me: “She CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!!!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
…it’s also why cEDH Malcolm & Kedis has a 44% winrate in our pod :negative:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Build an Aggro deck. 80 is way, way less than 120, so more tribes would be viable. You could get a good Minotaur or Spirits deck going and reliably close games out with beats at that level

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Without knowing how hard you wanna go, the only advice I can offer in a vacuum is to push your mana base harder. There are tons and tons of awesome lands you can add like Buried Ruin or Inventor’s Fair or Phyrexian Tower or Volrath’s Stronghold that would beef you up.

But K’rrik can be an extremely solid and consistent deck even at the cEDH level. You can push K’rrik to the most extreme levels, but you’re pretty much in the right track. If you let us know how powerful you want it to be I can offer more advice. Here’s my K’rrik list for reference, pretty maxed out:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/UZkjakoZfEmmwhDEVr35Tw

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 28, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whispersilk Cloak seems super redundant. Your opponents aren’t gonna want to block anyway because your creatures will be huge and your creatures matter more than your life total and assuming even 1-2 swords they’ll have a wide variety of protections.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ok, basic thoughts:

Don't run so many board wipes in your aggro deck. Run Harsh Mercy or Fire Covenant, cards like Ruinous Ultimatum, that take advantage of your colors. You could just blow up all of their stuff and leave your stuff alone.

Your commander costs 6, so you need to add the 3 talismans, Dark Ritual, and Knight of the White Orchid to your deck to ever have a snowballs chance in Hell of seeing Gwyn in play more than once a week

Obviously there are a large number of new equipment cards from the most recent set, like Fighter Class or Halvar, that you could pretty easily find room for. I would cut 2-3 lands, add more ramp, and cut the little durdly guys that are barely limited playable.

Cut List:
Rimrock Knight
Smitten Swordmaster
Acclaimed Contender (someone better than me at math can explain why this card is completely worthless in 100 card singelton)
Armored Skyhunter (see above)
Skynight Vanguard
Skyknight Legionaire
Khorvath Brightflame (nothing is more useless in magic than a 6 drop that gives your 3 drops haste)
Sun Titan
Loxodon Warhammer (This card has effectively 'rotated' out, 6 mana for this is bad)
Darksteel Plate

Add List:
Talisman of BW
Talisman of RW
Talisman of RB
Dark Ritual
Knight of the White Orchid
Harsh Mercy
Heavenly Blademaster
Shadowspear
Fighter Class
Halvar

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
League Chat: the other wisest of wizards approached me at the LGS today, we wanna get the league going again. The owner has okayed it, meaning he’ll put up store credit for prize support.

The other guy started off with a suggestion that we add a budget limit to decks, but my experience is that anything asking players to build a new deck or significantly alter their decks means they just won’t do it. I countered with the idea that you get an additional # of points if your deck is below a certain dollar amount.

I’m wondering if there is a good breakpoint at which the point incentive to run a more casual battlecruiser style would generate more points then simply sitting down and combo-killing the table on T4 or whatever…

My other suggestion was that points would carry over month to month except for the the Top 3, who get their prizes and then their points wipe, putting them back at zero. This gives lower powered players who come every week an inevitable seat at the table so to speak, if “Mana Screw Mark” just signs up and puts his $ down every week and just grinds then they’ll eventually end up in the winner’s circle, to incentivize program loyalty and also give lower powered or less skilled players an eventual moment of “Hell yeah, I came in 2nd, I get a fetchland for my deck, awesome!”

It would be great to just run league every week, I would definitely get my mid-power decks up to snuff to crush the tables :getin:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Riku of Two Reflections is also just, like… a 5 mana commander that asks you to cast another spell and spend even more mana before he does anything. I’m not sure what volume of ramp and card draw you would need for Riku to stay relevant when he essentially needs a fully developed board position to even really start to function. He was very powerful 10 years ago when there were only 4 Temur legends in the entire game, but the format has fully eclipsed 5 mana commanders that don’t do anything. There are probably out-of-the-box commander precons that could comfortably race a tuned Riku deck at this point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s ok to have completely bottom of the barrel decks that you only break out for the specifically lowest power tables.

I finally think I’m decommissioning Grevan. I really love the deck and rifling through all those terrible cards makes me really happy but I truly feel bad every time I untap on T4 and I have 3 lines of play and all of them result in killing someone. A tuned up Voltron list that specializes in instant speed one hit KOs is, you will be shocked to here, not very social. It’s just too strong, even for battlecruiser tables, and the only way to really make it weaker is to cut the ramp, but at that point it would go from “unfun” to “unplayable”, so I think I’m just gonna retire the deck, fully sleeved, to a nice cozy deck box somewhere, and maybe let him sit on the bookshelf by the couch to watch movies wif me :unsmith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This looks perfectly fine for a casual Kaalia dragons set up but you definitely have some very strange/extremely dated card choices.

A) 40+ lands is just too many for anything besides a dedicated landfall deck, even when you’re flooded with 7+ drops. The two heuristics for a mana base in Commander I use are

1: 30 Lands + your Commander’s MV

and/or

2: start with 40 lands and subtract 1 for every two pieces of ramp.

So with that goal in mind I would be shooting for 34-36 lands with 12-14 pieces of ramp

B) Your ramp suite is confusing because you’re running the best ramp ever but also some of the worst ramp ever. Cut Sphere, Relic, Monolith, Mind’s Eye, Staff of Nin and about 5-6 lands and go ahead and add the 3 talismans and the 3 signets to your deck.

C) I respect your theme but some of your dragons are unplayably bad or next to useless. Velomachus only hits like 5 cards in your deck currently, that’s not worth a slot. Verix Bladewing literally doesn’t work with your commander, it’s just a 4 drop that gets cheated into play a different 4 drop unless you spend 7 mana to make a Broodmate Dragon (which is a card that exists and only costs 6), and the other bladewing is a French vanilla flyer with no abilities, a waste of a card slot. Literally every creature in your deck is a giant flying lizard, you don’t need to run a dragon that is JUST a giant flying lizard. I’ve cut Hoarding dragon from a lot of decks because it’s only really good if you’ve got your sac outlet online and set up.

I have never in my life seen someone cast or even sleeve up Scour from existence but Good God you don’t have to run that card!

Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, Fire Civenant, Anguished Unmaking, Bedevil, Wear//Tear, Vanishing Verse, Despark, and even Vindicate are all cards strongly worthy of consideration and deserve to see play well before Scour should even enter your mind’s eye.

D) Some suggestions for this set up would be
Dragon Tempest
Lightning Greaves
Minion of the Mighty

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 2, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I keep looking at Liquimetal Torque & Shenanigans like… “is this good?”

It seems like a pretty decent grinding engine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I can recommend the Osgir & Prosper Tomebkund precons as being really great Out of the Box precons that are roughly the same power level. My best friend and I jammed a lot of those games. The new Vampire Precon is pretty good too!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Brawl precons are pretty impossible to find but also they are dogshit for balance. Korvald and Chulane are two of the strongest creatures printed in the last decade and Alela and Sir Gwyn see almost no play. I would avoid those products entirely IMO.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s no way that happened, the designs for the cards don’t have enough time between Ikoria’ release (April 2020) and Commander Legends (November 2020) to budge a single letter, much redesign their entire core mechanic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
100% build a tribal mid-power deck and try to make it as insane as you can. There is something practically academic about the process of delving into a particular creature types history and their most powerful cards and themes and how best to layer that over 100 card singleton. You could apply the same ideology to any generic theme I suppose, like Abzan counters or UR Storm, but in general I think just picking your favorite tribe that you don’t have in your toolbox already and really focus on cutting out the wheat from the chaff, keeping your mana curve low and efficient, and finding inter-block synergies that provide unintended interactions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
First game of the year last night, a cEDH pod with me (Heliod), Kinnan, Kykar, and Jeska//Ishai. On turn two I played Urza’s Saga and I could not believe how powerful and impactful that card was, it literally won me the game. Beating down with a pair of 9/9’s after uncounterably grabbing Grafdigger’s Cage?

The card quality in my Mono-W prison list has just shot through the roof in the last year, Heliod is really capable of hanging and banging at any table now, now exceptions. Gotta find room for Intrepid Adversary as well!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We still don’t really have a cEDH Orzhov deck, and the only Rakdos decks are Prosper/Grenzo and those are both Doomsday combo still. Osgir is good but not cEDH viable because his combos have too many fiddly steps without the resilience of Gitrog, and Koll seems ok but only one Content Creator believes in that deck so nobody even knows it’s viable. Hopefully we’ll see more R/B commanders with more exciting ideas in 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That Adeline list looks sweet as gently caress and you could easily make a budget version of that list for between $300-$500 that could hang at any table. Adeline is a great win con, she scales really well. Elesh Norn is also a win con.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jiro posted:

I generally agree that the format keeps going faster as far as new rocks that just stack with existing fast rocks making more ridiculous and janky "fun" commanders less viable since the game is ending way sooner.

Speaking as a Commander player first and a cEDH player second, I am completely in agreement with the episode front to back, I think. I don’t want anymore 2 mana ramp, I am happy with the ramping tools we have. I want more interesting ways to draw cards or generate card advantage, and I want more interesting ways to win the game. I want to live in a world where 6 mana commanders are playable and fun and cool, but that’s a tall order and don’t think that kind of sea change is possible without multiple years of lower power pre-cons stacked with mid-power side-commanders.

And yeah Treasure is the dominant mechanic in commander atm, case in point more people come into this thread to ask about Marchesa than any other commander put together!!!

But lol I don’t know what cEDH players Josh speaks with but no one thinks Godo is too good now that’s hilarious.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought Marchesa was a treasure commander but it turns out my friend just has a Marchesa skin for his Negan and that's not a real card! Whoops! Whenever anyone asks about Marchesa thats what i thought they were talking about! ha ha!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You could probably just populate a blank decklist with staples and then filter by cost to see what gets cut off by budget, and then do an overlay of cards left vs a decklist. You could probably get reasonably close to some of the 4-5 color lists using only the good cheap stuff

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My Ancient Tomb, Enlightened Tutor, and the Plateau in my Osgir deck are all damaged. I really enjoy finding damaged versions of cards I want for Commander and giving them safe and cozy forever homes in my decks, double sleeved and safe forever :unsmith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL Captain Mitch

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please give your clicks to someone else who doesn’t suck, if at all possible, especially if you’re not even gonna listen to them talk.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe he stopped putting effort in because he burned all of his bridges and now no one wants to collab with him. You really don’t get a bigger lay up than Josh and Jimmy inviting you on to their show to talk about your channel, it’s amazing how hard he spiked his own reputation into the dirt.

I mean I’m just assuming that his effort dropped off after the failed mutiny of the format that caused everyone to point and laugh at him, but maybe it was something else, I have literally not thought about him since I unsubbed to his account.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Over the loving Walking Dead Secret Lair, no less

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat that is an order of magnitude funnier than I was prepared for holy poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s hard to wash off the stink of Nazi gamers chasing clout and brawling with each other like feudal Discord warlords.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How is Commander paradoxically the format where nobody ever plays spells in the first 3 turns but also the format where Sol Ring is legal?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t let blogs tell me how to play magic, I feel like most people don’t

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well, that and millions of nerds don’t obsessively pout whenever he posts on his livejournal

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys are being enormous brain lords and dramatically over thinking it. Toxril is “a thing” because you ramp into it, protect it, and after basically two turns no else can play creatures and most decks don’t do anything besides play creatures, meanwhile the Toxrill player has a plan and a threat while no one else has anything. It’s not about being a mana outlet or a Kormus bell combo, it’s just a Dimir control commander that incentivizes ramping into your 7 drop and sitting behind a wall of countermagic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/sheldonmenery/status/1483112680978268162?s=21

Let’s GOOOOOO

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Shivam’s response is the kind of poo poo that makes me want to pull my hair out tbh

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1483124286126575617?s=21

Like, this is the exact frame of mind me and Karma and Fram and Aranan all approach our games together. When we play, it’s because we have come together in agreement of all these principles that Shivam is arbitrarily assigning to the word he likes more. This isn’t a mode of Casual or Competitive play, this is literally just the terminus of a healthy playgroup with an effective understanding of Rule 0.

The Casual vs Competitive discussion is fundamentally a discussion of power level, not of mindset, IMO, because even Competitive games can be social hang outs and even the most casual of playgroups can have white-knuckled 4 hour slug feats to determine the ultimate monarch of reality.

Because, and this is the point I really wish every Content Creator would just loving grok, is that we’re all just Commander players, it’s one game and there’s only one format and we’re all playing the same game. Pushing and pulling on the foundation to further the divide between two groups of people who ostensibly all want the same thing is bad and content creators who spend time in the casual vs competitive space are just courting drama for clicks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game works fine. Good even! There’s a reason it’s the most popular and fastest growing format in a 30 year old card game, because Commander is extremely fun as both a game and a hobby. The game is not the problem. I’m not even sure what the problem would even be if one existed. The issue, to me, seems entirely constructed by YouTube & Twitter personalities who remember what Commander was 6 years ago and don’t understand why people who just started playing 2 years ago would prefer to run Arcane Signet over Darksteel Ingot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m social/competitive, my LGS is too casual/cutthroat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never had that experience, but the closest was when I came back to magic in 2019 ish and went in for a few pick up commander games and my 100% foil Momir deck came out and they had to pause the game to inform me that my board state was like $5,000 worth of Apocalypse and Legacy pack foils and then the next week everyone was busting out their most pimpest cards to show me, asking me if I thought they were cool. :unsmith:

I have to admit, if someone ever approached me about a house ban lost i think I would humor it once, but I would really struggle to take the game seriously.