Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey y’all I am said Commander Mechanic from the OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Moxfield sponsors me, go use Moxfield. They’re awesome and are constantly updating with new, useful features.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’ve got a sweet Adeline deck up on my channel that also happens to be 100% human tribal with very little compromises. Check it out on Commander Mechanic.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Batterypowered7 posted:

This one? The one with TWO angels and ONE giant? 100% tribal my rear end!

Yup you got me!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My videos are pretty good, I’m a big fan.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TotalHell posted:

There’s gotta be a list for a fun (and definitely janky as hell) Blim, Comedic Genius deck out there somewhere, right? Just as an RB commander suggestion.

I’ve got one up on my channel (commander mechanic) that I put together last year. Definitely some room for updates but it’s pretty fun.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’ve played Ken and that deck, it’s pretty bonkers when it gets going. Real deal.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Don’t forget Nadier’s Nightblade

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’m on Shivam’s podcast this week y’all should check it out.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I brought my Drake posted:

Is there a place that is worth writing for these days about magic? I figure with the end of officially sanctioned tournaments and everybody and their brother making YouTube videos, getting paid to write magic articles wasn't really a thing anymore.

Writing pays consistently and is better than even moderate sized YouTube channel ad revenue.

I say this knowing first hand both running a moderately sized Magic YouTube channel and being paid to write about Magic.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The new cards are real cool and good, but the precons all together are a little poo poo

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bust Rodd posted:

1) google whatever your closest LGS is and see if you can order stuff online from a local retailer. If not, doesn’t Commander Mechanic (a goon) have a discount code for TCG player? I could have sworn they posted it before, support fam

2) New player Grolnok Heuristics

A) 37-ish lands, you want more than normal because it’s a panda matter deck

B) at least 10 ‘draw’ spells, at least 7-10 removal spells, maybe 4-5 mass removal spells, and probably at least 12-16 ramp spells. Look for stuff that synergises with Grolnok, but your fun and flavorful deck won’t really function in multiplayer without answers and mana.

Yup, referral stuff for TCG Player and Hairy Tarantula (if you don’t mind your stuff coming from Canada).

All that is in the description of any of my videos on YouTube. I also have a Grolnok list & deck tech up there, just search for Commander Mechanic on the tubes.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dizz posted:

Man I wish I knew this before i blew a fat dollar on cards the past 3 days.

pain

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LeafHouse posted:

To be clear, is there a discount from TCG Player using your referral link? None appears when I go to checkout.

No discount, no. I’m an affiliate, not a partner.

I do have promo codes for Hairy Tarantula, though - 5% off your first order.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Crossover is kind of a mindstay of content creation.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
NEO is pretty decent. Lots of little role players for the 99 and nothing too OP from a new commander standpoint. Design is clearly leaning towards “let’s not do kitchen sink commanders anymore” and it shows.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Framboise posted:

Nothing too OP while still being cool and competitively viable. What a drat good set.

1000% - everything is cool and unique and exciting but not “this is terrible for the format”

I think it’ll go down as one of the best received sets in a long time (for commander at least)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheLawinator posted:

I'm gradually getting into commander and my local "cedh" group basically bans any commander that's in the cedh deck database and allows proxies of cards that cost less than 50 bucks. I'll pay anything in the mardu colors, thinking about doing an osgir stax deck. I basically don't have a single cedh staple over 100 bucks so I'm down for suggestions for anything that could let me hang with what I guess is pseudo cedh without taking out a loan.

Do you really want to play magic with these gatekeeping douches? Something tells me ‘no’.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Rebell’s one of my favorites too

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If y’all want updates from those Wizards events but can’t watch live you can follow me on Twitter, I live tweet them every time. @CMDRMechanic

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Framboise posted:

Oh hey I noticed you're in the latest Mind Sculptors podcast. Nice.

Ye Cal and I are tight. I’m doing more analysis stuff for the MLC like I did last year.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LachlanJ posted:

I'm taking a shot at building a Greasefang vehicles/reanimator deck. Does anyone have any insight into what the ratio of vehicles to critters should be? I've got around 20 relatively low-powered creatures, with plenty of ways to recur them and cheat them into play, and 15 vehicles.

I have a list & deck tech up on my channel. Search CommanderMechanic on YouTube

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Next weeks Mind Sculptors episode is going to be intense after what we just saw haha

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Batterypowered7 posted:

No Ban List Commander VS:

https://youtu.be/W_4sYyKMtjQ

Watching Corey Baumeister try to play Commander is painful.

I got to help Jeremy with his deck so I’m looking forward to watching this one!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My preview is live; take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOHJ1V_yhqM

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I play against Jeremy’s deck all the time so I have opinions on it lol

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

It’s a nightmare

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey Goons, I typically hate shilling my channel here but I'm like 100 subs away from hitting 10,000 on YouTube which is KIND OF A BIG THING so if you want hot EDH content please go sub:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderMechanic/

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Donezo, I am currently digging your video on a modular deck.

Hell ya - a lot of people really liking this one. It’s a cool concept for everyone super indecisive about which direction to take a deck

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/monarchmedia

MLC games have started, going on for a few hours

Hell of a start to the season

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Lol imagine playing a game for fun with mates, right? Only one person can enjoy themselves at a time let’s make 3 other people miserable as often as possible!

The issue this banlist is trying to solve is power level mismatches. Sheldon wrote about something similar himself wrt a modular ban list.

If we encourage people to cultivate their experiences in all other areas - social media, workplace culture, online gaming - why wouldn’t we encourage the same thing in Commander? “Sorry bro you’re just playing at a different level ima go find another table” is a perfect response to avoid stomps and feel-bads and if you can’t accept that someone doesn’t want to play with you the problem ain’t them, champ. It’s you.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Aranan posted:

I appreciate how vaguely worded that post is so there's no way to tell which side you're scolding. Almost as if self centered dicks exist at all levels of play. 🤔

It’s almost like universal solutions exist but people don’t want to use them and would just rather complain

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

pseudanonymous posted:

Sheldon's argument about modular banlists is absurd. It's very very possible to have a power-based modular sets of banlists, and he doesn't want to do it, and so he wrote an article that reveals how much he operates in bad faith.

Instead, he wrote an article where you'd have to ban "all fast mana" instead of you know, the broken fast mana; like somehow in Sheldon's head Rite of Flame and Sol Ring are equivalently problematic cards.

You very much could ban another 40 cards and say "with these cards banned, you're playing high power" and ban another 40 cards and that's medium power, and you can ban another 40 cards and go play yugioh instead.

The RC is lazy and doesn't want to actually support the way people play EDH, instead, they just want to collect money from writing articles for affiliate card selling sites and chant about Rule 0.

The format of Commander is a coding language, not a program. There’s no ‘one way’ to play it and that’s why the RC keeps things as loose as possible - to allow people to play the format however they want.

The issue is that people try to fit square pegs into round holes. They feel that THEIR personal way to play commander is what EVERYONE wants and should accept. “We’re all playing commander just deal with it lol here’s a turn 3 infinite combo” or “dude it’s only turn 10 there’s still plenty of time left” are what’s wrong with the format. People don’t want to talk to each other, set expectations, and get consent about what FOUR PEOPLE want from the game.

You shouldn’t be subjecting someone to your concept of fun.

The RC can’t ban dozens of cards because that kills THOUSANDS of peoples play styles. It’s easier to give people a framework and the tools to find players within their agreed level of play.

IMO the issue is that the RC won’t set the example of giving players the social tools they need to find games with players that are looking for the same experience, and that leads to bigger concerns than “ban this card plz”

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

You're yelling at people who spent pages saying the same things you just said.

I’m not yelling at anybody? I’m summarizing!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bust Rodd posted:

While we’re on the topic, don’t watch Commander’s Quarters, either. Commander Mechanic and Gemstone Mine podcast are goon-tubes by people ITT that everyone seems to really love and enjoy, but we can give you much better guidance if you tell us what kind of decks you want to build or your preferred power level.

Hi yes it’s me, the Commander Mechanic. Please watch my stuff.

Also I’m a special guest for CommandFest Richmond so if anyone’s going come see me I have goodies to give away.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dysgenesis posted:

To the Commander Mechanic goon - I really enjoyed you video on backgrounds.

I will sub to gemstone mine now too.

E - Hmm I already was but they haven't been coming up much on my feed. I'll try and make a point of watching them.

Thanks!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dysgenesis posted:

It's currently also on the front page of edhrec.

Yup that’s something any creator can reach out to EDHRec about. That feed accounts for ~5% of my video views.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
What do y’all want me to yell at the CAG today

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I yelled all your things at my friends

https://twitter.com/cmdrmechanic/status/1533338713027072000?s=21&t=YTfbYK3nnTVtI3Gl8XmXMQ

https://twitter.com/jimtsf/status/1532520534507810819?s=21&t=YTfbYK3nnTVtI3Gl8XmXMQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Nystral posted:

What was the response to this?

I didn’t yell at my friends what do you think I am, a sociopath?