Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So I'm building a deck based on being able to have Mortarion, Daemon Primarch or Bontu the Glorified as the commander, so a lot of life loss and creature sac. I'm going for a Monoblack Aggro thing, but I feel like I'm getting pulled in too many directions and/or am missing something egregious, any suggestions?

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mortarion-sui-black/?cb=1690849953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Stonework Puma, Prophet of the Peak, Diamond Lion, Wirecat (?????)

Watchers of the dead, paper tiger or chrome cat none of which are lions, sadly.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Framboise posted:

What a loving miserable experience that looks to be.

I'd rather just play unmodified precons at that rate. At least then no one can complain. (They still will.)

Honestly at a certain point the game isn't to win commander, it's what's the worst card I can get onto that banned list.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

disaster pastor posted:

It's remarkable, though it probably should have been foreseeable, that after all this time WotC managed to print a viable aggro commander at a battlecruiser power level, and the result was immense popularity from ~half the audience and an immediate outcry of "ban it now, it can come down turn 5 or 4 or even 3 and then it'll attack a turn later and then what are we supposed to do?!" from the other ~half.

How dare I be forced to play something so gauche as schniff "interaction". How Dare that spot removal cost anything more than the exact amount printed on the card.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cleretic posted:

Now that I think about it, my Thirteenth Doctor deck doesn't get any hate because it's actually a threat, it gets hate because it requires me to be aggressive early.

Commander players are anti-violence in weirdly specific ways.

Commander as a format has a number of rules that end up naturally making aggro less viable and people get complacent about the idea. Throw in the 'casual, social game' reputation and someone willing to do violence immediately becomes both the No Fun Person and the natural political target.

The ideal commander opponent is a ham sandwich setting up a complex durdle machine like you are except theirs does nothing, and stopping your combo via interaction or taking pieces out can still be classed under 'part of playing the game' but someone creating pressure by hitting you or playing creatures and using the combat step is an enemy for life.

How dare someone want to end the game, that's choosing to play less magic!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I'm reminded of that time someone swung with a creature in a game with Sheldon Menery and they had to be apologetic as a bit. (Feel free to correct me if that is not how it happened)

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Batterypowered7 posted:

You might be thinking of the clip where Sheldon is on Shuffle Up and Play and he's hesitating to attack and the person to his right begs him to swing and says that it's good for the game.

That'd be it. But that's the attitude in a nutshell, people worry about swinging out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gynovore posted:

"Strictly better than a basic land" is a line that Wizards has been willing to cross the past 5 years. If you are playing monored, there is no reason not to stick in one copy of Castle Embereth.

WOTC has hosed up crossing that line multiple times in the history of magic, it makes sense that they'd be gunshy until recently. It's only been the current era where nonland card quality has been high enough that they've felt more comfortable, and as pointed out the kamigawa channelands are still pushing it. But Magic made that bed a long time ago wrt having nonland sources of mana, and this is the Sol Ring format, so I doubt that's going to change any time soon.