Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'll second Shuffle Up And Play, Commander At Home, EDH Hijinks, and Spike Feeders for fun, relatively chill Commander content. SUAP doesn't do Commander every week, but it's pretty frequent. Commander At Home is easily the closest I've seen to a real "friends sitting around the kitchen table playing Commander" show, EDH Hijinks is pretty similar but over the internet instead of everyone at the same table, and Spike Feeders is a split between Competitive EDH decks and casual, but they don't act competitive about it. It's a good introduction to the CEDH sub-format and fun to watch just to see the crazy poo poo that happens and the chess-like maneuvering. And the Spike Feeders crew are pretty fun in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Grevlek posted:

All of the content recommends are good but only MTGmuddstah is "chill"

I would say that depends on your definition. If you mean "low energy", then maybe. Otherwise, then EDHijinks, Commander at Home, and Spike Feeders are all pretty chill. Shuffle Up And Play is less so since the Professor usually stirs poo poo up for entertainment value, but the other three are definitely solidly in the "chill" category for me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, if we're suggesting being passive-aggressive about it, go full on and build like an Eriette stax/pillowfort deck with Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety, Blind Obedience, tax creatures, and a ton of auras that leave the opponents' creatures and artifacts in play but unable to do anything. "Fine, I don't get to play what I want so neither do you."

(Note that I'm not suggesting you actually DO this as it is, as mentioned, rabidly passive-aggressive.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

This gently annoys me (Doctor Who rules talk) because it kinda fucks with morph. A face down creature used to have no creature type, and while there's no reason it can't have or gain one, now you have to track that it's the Cyberman? It's another point where the rules are becoming subservient to the brand (like how Time Lord is one type and the rules had to be adjusted to allow that). Still, it's very unlikely to matter all that much.

I'm a bit confused. Why is this a problem? Part of the rules for Morphs and Manifests is that you're supposed to make it crystal clear which is which. To the point that, IIRC, in tournaments in the Tarkir era they specifically labeled each morph "morph 1, morph 2" etc. Going from "morph 5" to "cyberman" is... not a deal at all? At least to me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Man, there is some ugly reminder text for this set.

"Exile this artifact, exile the four or more from among other permanents you control and/or cards in your graveyard"

what the actual gently caress

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

You could try Isshin Two Heavens As One "control", which is basically a "let's you and him fight" deck. Lots of goad, "draw if you attack my opponents", "take damage if you attack me" kind of effects, with black card draw and white removal. It plays very differently from a typical EDH deck, very political, but instead of being stax-y, it actually encourages your opponents to swing hard... just not at you. It wins by encouraging your opponents to weaken each other by goading their creatures and making it punishing to attack you, then knocking them out with standard Isshin stuff like Duelist's Heritage and Fervent Charge.

It does function better with Isshin on the field, but he's not essential by any means since all he does is double up your triggers, not create them in the first place. And it doesn't require anything super expensive, either. Even the reserve list card I run in it (Koskun Falls) is so obscure and out of left field (and printed in Homelands, lol) that it's sub-$10. The most expensive cards are Iroas God of Victory and Savai Triome at $13 each.

Isshin is honestly my favorite commander. There's so much sneaky poo poo that he buffs that aren't just "when you attack make a token". He doubles up any triggers from your permanents caused by something attacking, which includes stuff like Curse of Opulence or Breena the Demagogue.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

You make Isshin sound fun, and describe a playstyle very different from my impression of him from reading the card. Which theme does your deck fit in? Doesn't look like the top themes on EDHrec fits.

Im fine with using expensive cards. (I just use proxies for everything, though the price "cap" is fetches for lands and $40ish for other cards)

I honestly don't know that there's an EDHrec theme that quite fits the deck. The closest would be either Pillow Fort or Group Slug, I guess? Though neither are really accurate.

If you want to look at my list, it's here. I haven't updated it for Lost Caverns of Ixalan yet, and if you're open to proxies I'm sure there are plenty of tweaks you can make (like adding the shock lands into the mana base).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Indominus Rex, Alpha is a silly Magic card. I built a deck around it and even without trying it's just incredibly consistent. It doesn't surprise me that people are exploring the possibilities outside the box with it.

That said, I was quite disappointed to discover that there are literally zero legal Sultai or colorless creatures with just plain unconditional always-on Double Strike.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

"Artifact Creature -- Clue Fish"

Red Herring detected.

Balon posted:

Self promo but this week I'm on Casual Magic with Shivam Bhatt as we talk deck building, cutting from a pile of cards, and finding your "success condition" of a deck. Worth a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnaW5kfm-SA

That's cool! I keep meaning to start listening to Casual Magic, I really like Shivam when he shows up on other shows I watch. I'll try to remember to put this on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Party Miser posted:

I am having trouble cutting stuff down to 100 in my Lara Croft deck. It isn't high power, but it is stuff I have already. I don't know if I am lowballing creatures or anything. I could use some help at least cutting https://www.moxfield.com/decks/XOK8s73DUUuQvud4i7m78Q

I'm sure I can just cut some of the lame legendaries too.

I'm far from a commander expert, so take this all with a grain of salt:

• First I'd cut the Up the Beanstalk. You've only got a grand total of 13 spells in the deck that are 5 mana and up, and only 2 artifacts (Slicer and Doors of Durin) that you could recast with Lara. I don't think this is going to do much for you.
  • Insurrection is just kind of a generic win the game card. I get that you have a theft subtheme going on, but Insurrection is kind one of those cards that you resolve once and that's enough for a lifetime.
  • Reclaim is not a very good card in this deck. You don't really have tons of topdeck synergies, so a Regrowth would be better, and it's not like it's an expensive card. Or you can just cut it entirely since your commander has recursion built in.
  • I see where you're coming from with Aggravated Assault and Last Night Together, but consider whether paying 5 mana for an extra Lara Croft activation is really worthwhile.
  • With only 27 creatures in the deck, Doors of Durin isn't going to hit very often. Is it really worth a slot?
  • What's Subterranean Schooner for? It's not legendary and it doesn't look like explore really does much for you.
  • Take a hard look at Sword of Forge and Frontier. My guess is that it's in your deck as a ramp effect, but it's pretty slow and uncertain at the job, and it's not legendary.
  • Halana and Alena doesn't really seem to fit the theme of your deck. Neither does Me, the Immortal.
  • I don't think there's enough instants or sorceries in your deck for Storm-Kiln Artist to really shine, especially considering that it's going to put a bullseye on your back (it's a well-known combo card).

That's 11 relatively straightforward cuts from an outside perspective, which still leaves you with 10 to go but it's a start.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, hey, Morph is back as Disguise. Neat.

EDIT: Also I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both Voja and Judith are going to be extremely popular commanders.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 17, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Same. I'm not a huge Final Fantasy guy but I recognize a lot of the characters just from reading LPs of the games and such. Fingers crossed that we get a Gilgamesh card- ideally as a creature so I can actually build a commander deck around him.

Gilgamesh is the single character present in the most FF games. He's about 99.99999% certain to be included, probably with more than one version. I could see him being an equipment-matters creature for sure given many of his appearances are wielding 4-8 different weapons at once.

Cleretic posted:

The most interesting part of the Final Fantasy UB is that it's gonna cut some stuff that has fans, and I'm genuinely not sure what. A Magic set is big, but you still can't put every FF game in equally, and there's gonna be one or two games that gets the shaft but aren't one of the minor ones like 2 that're just happy when Firion gets to be there. Even Doctor Who had an easier task ahead of it there.

My bet's on 8 and 13, those will get a smaller lineup than their fans are happy with, and 8's probably also most likely to not be well-represented mechanically. Special mention to 14, which is gonna be one of the 'star' games that probably gets one of the commander precons, but will still have to cut characters with fans.

EDIT: considering the opposite has some fun, too. What's the tiniest thing that will get a card?

Yeah, this is something I came to realize too. Even ONLY counting the mainline games with none of the sequels or spinoffs (including FFT), you've got 16 games. In a 300 card set, that's less than 20 cards per game. That's barely even enough to cover the main cast of some of them.

Overall, I think FF1, FF2, FF3, and FF13 are the easiest to cut down on without doing the games major disservices. The first three just weren't big games to start with (with both 1 and 3 having generic characters for the party and 2 just being a tiny cast in general) and 13 is actually really compact for its generation. FF1 you can just about cover with a handful of new class cards (bonus points if they're double-sided for promotions!) plus Garland and/or Chaos. FF7, on the other hand, is almost certain to be heavily overrepresented given its popularity and the fact that the remakes are still ongoing.

I've been trying to decide which mechanics I think will be getting reprinted/updated/riffed on with the FF set. Classes are almost a certainty given how many different FF games use them. I wonder if the dragoons might riff on phasing (pay whatever to "jump", phasing them out, then when they phase in they deal damage to a target) or if that's too niche. Similarly, summoning seems easy by just creating big-rear end tokens, but I'm not sure that hits the flavor right.

I'm definitely very interested to see what they do with such a massive and wide-spread property.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Every time I've seen Inkshield resolve, it's been a "wipe the board or the game's over" situation. It's a lot more than just "some tokens".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Gynovore posted:

"Strictly better than a basic land" is a line that Wizards has been willing to cross the past 5 years. If you are playing monored, there is no reason not to stick in one copy of Castle Embereth.

Castle Embereth isn't strictly better than a basic mountain. It doesn't have a basic land type and only enters untapped conditionally. EDIT: The first doesn't matter much specifically in monored or in formats where fetchlands don't exist, but the latter does. If your opening hand in monored burn/aggro only has one or two mountains, that's actually ideal in a lot of cases. If your opening hand only has one or two Castle Embereths, that's a huge problem.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 3, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Typed dual lands that ETB with stun counters on them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Reverse shocks. Typed, etb tapped unless you have an opponent gain 2 life. And hell, print them at uncommon.

Man, those would be among the most expensive uncommons in the game instantly. So much better than shock lands.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like a pretty good set overall to me from a commander perspective. Lots of interesting legendaries (including a couple that enable entirely new decks like Obeka and Riku), some good modal cards, a couple stupidly powerful cards like Goldvein Hydra and Another Round, etc.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

even if you ignore the fact that using 'hey this is a completely unsettled land, so have your cowboys guilt-free' isn't actually as effective a dodge as wizards would like it to be, the coolest part of a set on a new plane is seeing all the world building work -- the landmarks, the cities, the people, etc. There's basically none of that here.

I mean, all the "things" in OTJ are entirely new and specific to OTJ. It's only the people that are recurring, and there's still quite a few new characters. Annie Flash, Calamity, Fortune, Bristly Bill, Vadmir, Wylie Duke, Akul, Jasper Flint, Lilah, Bonny Pall, Roxanne, Jem Lightfoote, Doc Aurlock, Baron Betram Greywater, Miriam, Ertha Jo, Loot (ugh), Yuma, Kirri, Stella Lee, Eris, Felix Five-Boots, and Vihaan are all new characters. And that's just the legendaries. Nearly all the non-legendary creatures are natives or might as well be.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

Basically everybody in the set, including the non-legendary creatures, moved in after March of the Machines happened -- even the indigenous-coded Atiin (Annie, Wylie Duke) aren't from Thunder Junction (but at least they're new in terms of magic lore). I'm pretty sure Doc Aurlock is a bear from Strixhaven and that Ertha Jo is from Zendikar. Those don't really bother me as much as Marchesa being in the set (seriously, why is she here), but basically I think my primary disappointment with the set is that I wanted a new cool cowboy plane, and what I ended up getting was mostly references to other bits of Magic IP wearing leather boots.

That's fair. I'll just leave you with something to consider:

The Wild West period in America's history was as much of, if not more of, a melting pot as anything else in the pre-modern history of the country. The railroads were being built from the west by Chinese immigrants and from the east by Irishmen. "Cowboys" -- in the vernacular of the period -- were men who stole cattle from Mexican ranches and drove them across the border to the US. The populace of the American interior were largely made up of exiles and dream-seekers from the other corners of the country and from outside America. Even the movies that made the Wild West a cultural phenomenon were written, directed, and composed by Italians, based on and heavily inspired by Japanese samurai movies, and frequently partially or fully set in Mexico.

In other words, it's entirely in keeping for a "cowboy set" to be full of people from elsewhere. That's what the Wild West was. The only people from the American interior were the Native American tribes, and even many of them were actually displaced from elsewhere in the country.

(That all said, I'm 100% with you on Marchesa. Why the gently caress is she here? As far as I know she's still a drat Queen back in her plane)

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 5, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is something I remember Maldhound pointing out. We get mad at every other color getting to do their thing; we'll turn the cannons on a red deck daring to look like they're playing too fast, a blue deck forcing you to play mother-may-I, a black deck making our favorite stuff die. But we just don't do the same thing to a green deck going off, even when it's really obvious they are.

The commonality is that the other four colors are doing things to you or your stuff and green, for the most part, isn't. The majority of casual commander players seem to be in it to see their deck do its thing, so when four colors screw that up and one doesn't, the four get most of the attention.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Slowlands will enter untapped the vast majority of the time that it matters in Commander. It's not a format where you have a burning need to have maximum untapped mana on t1 or t2 in the vast majority of cases, and from t3 onward they should ETB untapped. They're among the first not-actual-ABU-duals you should add to a Commander deck (after the Battlebond lands that enter untapped as long as it's not a two-player game and shocklands).

Checklands vary a little more, they're worse the more colors you're playing. For a two-color deck they're basically free, for a five-color deck you might want to look elsewhere depending on the way your colors skew.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

A Moose posted:

I think it depends on what kind of meta you're playing in, and what kind of deck. How important is it that you get ramp on turns 1 and 2? You probably don't need to hold up removal or counterspells on turn 1 or 2 outside cEDH. How bad is playing a tapped fast land as your 5th land going to gently caress you?

The only times slow lands are bad are if they're 1) in your opening hand, 2) you have less than 2 other untapped lands in your opening hand, and 3) you absolutely need all your mana on turns 1, 2 and 3.

In most commander games, playing a tap land turn 1 is fine.

Yeah, this. In non-cEDH games, the chances that a slowland will come into play tapped and that actually has a material impact on the game is vanishingly rare. If you're intentionally playing a deck with a ton of 1 and 2 mana plays that you absolutely want to play right on curve, maybe you'd look for a different solution, but that's a very narrow selection of EDH deck archetypes.