Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

How about instead of doing a budget thing or anything do an mvp vote after and either bar reserve list cards or don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm gradually getting into commander and my local "cedh" group basically bans any commander that's in the cedh deck database and allows proxies of cards that cost less than 50 bucks. I'll pay anything in the mardu colors, thinking about doing an osgir stax deck. I basically don't have a single cedh staple over 100 bucks so I'm down for suggestions for anything that could let me hang with what I guess is pseudo cedh without taking out a loan.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

But i am assuming no one would have free countermagic because you’re all under the same budget?

Nope, those are just the rules for proxy cards so folks have the actual cards. I'm just new to commander in general so it's hard to jump at the multi hundred dollar staples. I feel like that rule is to prevent homogeneity of cedh staples but not stop anyone who already bought them.

Honestly I think I'll just do casual and high power commander at this store since none of those rules exist for the rest of the store and maybe just do cedh at another store that doesn't care what I do.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Duals for me, but not for thee.

Yeah, not a great look. I'm just moving into the area and didn't want half of my introduction to be "that's dumb" but did subtly want to run a bunch of stax pieces to specifically punish as many expensive cards as I could haha

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Oh god I read it as pauper cedh instead of paper and I was even more intrigued.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

I used to watch IHYD but stopped because Lynch has like no idea how his cards worked and would add a half hour to the run time. I hope all the guests get together to do their own stuff because they were always great.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

The trick for future campaigns is to back one of the regular tiers and then swap to the limited one. The interface for the swap lets you click confirm again once it times out so you can just spam it until it works. The regular one just times out and you have no idea if it's working. Found that out in the comments.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Also I wouldn't expect any stretch goals to add too much product or anything about that since he was very forthright about how focused he was on making a good product and avoiding the pitfalls that come with a lot of kickstarter campaigns.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

This proves that Sheldon was right, you don't need og duals to play.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Even with the amazon show coming if they did a 3 set block for lotr it would be the 3 books or one for the hobbit and split the other two.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

The Hobbit could be rather good for a set of commander precons, heck could even do a variant on Archenemy with Bilbo and company being the one player side.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

I just built prosper and I know they couldn't let that card be red

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

What is commander content that you’d like to see exist?

Instead of deck techs for cedh you could do archetype techs. Take stax for example: you could explain it's general place in a meta and then show the pros and cons for different types of stax decks. That along with the earlier mentioned threat assessment video could be cool.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Putting the new triland in each of the precons is such a nobrainer in terms of balancing out the value they put in those decks.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

The opposite of Group Hug should be Group Slug where you play all the symmetrical (or mostly symmetrical) effects that 'cause everyone to lose life.

That is actually what folks call it.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Group slug commanders like Mogis are easy ways to shorten the game and you can gradually make it more and more heinous to speed things up further.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

That ban list barely touches winota so that's fun

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Raffine and Queza might have some play to them, Raffine a bit more. Orskar the Grouch probably has a good dimir deck going for him.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Workin on a Jan Jansen deck since he hits my 2 passions, mardu and being a staxy piece of poo poo. Cool being able to do a sword of the meek combo outside of blue.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

What's wrong with Jan Jansen that I'm not seeing other than he's non-blue? Nobody is talking about him at all. It's kinda like a magda shell but access to black tutors and white stax.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Well guess I'm glad I didn't pick up a dockside yet. Thoracle isn't the worst thing but it is kind of boring.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

More and more Warhammer proxies are getting uploaded and I can't wait to have a full CEDH Warhammer deck.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe on mpcfill.com

Yea, the uploader is Vector. Quite nice. All of it so far is Imperium themed, with a bunch of CEDH cards.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Finally got to play my imperium precon, deck is actually solid, won my pod against regular decks.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

My store just does buy here play here with freeplay for commander. Then they roll off some promo packs.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

I made my first order last night, 3 cedh decks with a bucket of alternate cards to side in. With that handled I don't really have to think about how to make my regular decks hang in high power and can just make them weird/interesting instead for lower power games.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

The one person I've watched playing Ivy has a second deck for all the copies. Honestly it's pretty cool and I'd be tempted to try it, only for the prospect of pulling a second deck out when the game starts.

Just received my first MPC order and I can tell these are a little bit thinner than regular cards. Should I double sleeve them just for playability?

Having 3 cedh decks for the competitive pods really takes the pressure off to optimize any other deck.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did you get the S30 or the S33 card stock?

S33, the thickness is a little noticeable.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, I got S33s as well. They feel really good double-sleeved. Not sure I'd feel comfortable mixing them in with regular cards, though.

Oh yea, I got the full decks printed. All my other decks are just going to be legit cards.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

MPC update: have tried 3 different sleeve setups and have opinions for the S33.

Dragon shield matte duals with dragon shield inners: thinner cards with minimal friction doesn't mix well in my opinion. Left a couple days to get the air out and was still a bit hard to manage.
DSMDs single sleeved: Still floaty as heck
Gamegenic matte prime single sleeved: The backs of these are far rougher than dragon shields which actually made the deck feel far more robust and easier to shuffle and maneuver

Seems to me that you want something to add thickness, but you want to keep the friction up.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Are your hands not sticky and disgusting, thus leaving a film on all your sleeves that prevents your cards from slipping and sliding?

I was just thinking that these cards would be perfect for the original dragon shields that would get sticky the moment anybody had anything on their hands. Those were tanks.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Did you smoosh the air out? I usually divide my games into equal stacks and them place several heavy board games on top of them overnight. That usually gets the poof out.

Yea that was after a couple days with stuff on them, single or double sleeved I feel like the low friction of DS isn't a great combo with S33 cardstock.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah now that I pulled the trigger on a couple of mpc decks I'm thinkin maybe I'll just have 1 legit deck and the couple precons I have. Might cash out the random singleton money cards I have that I'll probably never make a real deck with (aka green and blue cards) and pick up rakdos scam for modern.

Or I could take all that stuff and shove it into Archaeon/Najeela warrior tribal warhammer cards I own.

When a playable deck of anything costs as much as a precon it changes how you look at stuff.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

My first commander deck was Prosper, as I've gotten to mid power with him I've found that it's really boring to win with. So now I'm going to play Tor Wauki as the commander and Prosper in the 99 so it'll be more fun but still just as dastardly. Turns the tire spinning phase of prosper into pings so folks actually care.

Besides that I'm looking to build a dungeon deck but not in esper, maybe tymna jeska? I've seen some examples with isshin that might have some promise.

Saw a cedh version of Jan Jansen tonight which kinda took the fire out for trying to brew with him because he's so geared towards infinites that I think he'd be as boring as prosper at mid power.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Aniodia posted:

Pulled a Queen Kayla in one of the packs of BRO I got for Christmas, and I remembered that people were saying she could be an interesting stax commander, so I build a deck around her trying to play the fairest of magic. I'd already gotten the ire of one of the LGS guys because I'd played Magus of the Moon against his super greedy 5-color manabase, and he kept being a whiny pissbaby the whole rest of the game, so I think I'm at least headed in the right direction. I did notice there aren't a ton of fliers in here, nor is there really a whole lot of ways to deal with planeswalkers, but I haven't really found a solution that would work with the deck that I really like.

For planeswalker help that is an artifact or creature cmc 1-3 I think you're options are individual planeswalker hate, evasion, or taxing. Couple I can think of are:

sword of sinew and steel, straight up destroys planeswalkers
flamescroll celebrant, pings when folks use planeswalkers and is a silence on the back
sparkhunter masticore, planeswalker pinger
phyrexian revoker, pithing needle, and sorcerous spyglass all turn off 1 pw
anointed peacekeeper, taxes and individual planeswalker
immovable rod, turns off 1 planeswalker at a time but can swap each turn

besides that any equipment that gives evasion is good.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

I'm messing around with a Slicer, Hired Muscle deck for when a pod needs to get goin a little faster. Most of the inclusions are obvious but I'm not sure what ratios of evasion equipment to other things I should think about, as well as being a relatively new commander player. What cards am I missing and what should I skip? Anything above 25 dollars in this list is something that I happened to already have randomly.

Speed Racer

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

I just ordered 5 proxy decks and 1 proxy pack of mardu mana staples, think I can chill for a bit. I say that even though I'm brewing a budgetish Zeriam griffin tribal deck right now.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

The new boros precon kinda whips, didn't even swap commanders and I won 3/4 games yesterday. I'm going to try to leave it as is so that I have something for when folks have weaker decks/precons only.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Whatever it is, I already wish listed it so I can preorder at best price. I think that's the only way I'll ever get to buy a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

The commander decks are up for 68 each, honestly they're not that interesting to me but I'm sure there will be chase cards aplenty in em.