Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Our pod has a very weird selective memory, it’s true. I cannot count how many times I’ve gone “hey guys, that’s Najeela” and everyone is like “yup, Stax, Stax, Rule of Law, More Stax” “ok now I can’t move or draw cards or cast spells” “yeah, I know, that’s crazy, anyways attack with Najeela, make 16 warriors”

Me: “She CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!!!”

Lmao this owns. I really need to bite the bullet and finish my cedh decks so I can play with you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bloom Tender is incredibly powerful and I would highly recommend getting one for any green deck that can consistently get 3+ colors of permanents onto the board by turn 3.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was watching the 5 Cards, 5 Lessons from 2021 video on the Gemstone Mine Podcast Youtube channel and heard him mention having taken a beating from an Adeline deck a few weeks ago. I believe this might be the list. It looks fun!

drat that looks awesome. I love how over time there's become such a high density of extremely powerful hatebears that a deck like this is not only possible but very viable.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Party Miser posted:

I've got a Marchesa deck that probably could use some recommendations for what should obviously be stealing and sacking people's stuff. i didn't realize how scattered my mana artifacts were until i dropped it in moxfield, and the big money cards are old holdovers I've owned for a long time. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/7IfCLzvONUqQEtTHulA96w

More and better free repeatable sacrifice outlets are a good start for a deck like this. Carrion Feeder and Goblin Bombardment are a good start, Bloodflow Connoisseur not so much. My recommended adds are Ashnod's Altar, Yahenni Undying Partisan, and Viscera Seer. Phyrexian Altar is another great pickup but is pretty expensive.

You can also replace some of your mediocre draw spells and less effective creatures with cards like Deadly Dispute, Altar's Reap, Costly Plunder, etc. These do double duty of drawing you cards while also being instant speed sacrifice to protect a creature from getting exiled, bounced, etc. if you don't have one of your repeatable sac outlets online. As a bonus these are all cheap commons.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lol I took a look at the discord and it had ten entire people in it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

This all happened like eight months ago (I think) so I'm sure it's died on the vine by now

No they made a new one like a month ago, if even. Tried rebranding themselves as Untapped, an inclusive place for commander players seeking something new.

lol

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 13, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aranan posted:

Toxrill is a generic dimir deck (so baseline is already solid) which means it has a pretty good turbo adnaus/thoracle plan. It also allows you to run the dramatic scepter combo with Toxrill being the outlet. Actually casting and swinging with Toxrill is Plan C or D at absolute best, but that's still a decent fallback case because it eats hatebears alive, gives you card advantage, and is a decent clock.

Edit: I can't see Kormus Bell being in the actual optimized deck list. It's just a cute interaction.

I can't really see what he does better in cEDH than Thrasios with any Bx partner. The amount of games where you cast him and keep him around for his abilities and body seem like they'd make up a vanishingly small amount compared to the massive versatility you gain by going into Thrasios+Partner

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grevlek posted:

getting everyone to scoop in disgust is a type of win con

Please do not encourage Tergrid players

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

what even are words anymore

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

I need ideas for a RB commander. It is my everlasting shame as someone who usually played red Sligh and suicide black back in standard and extended in the 90's that I haven't found a RB commander that clicks with me yet. I guess it doesn't need to be aggro, but that would just be a bonus. Anything interesting would do. I recently tried Strefan Maurer but found it underwhelming compared to Edgar Markov. I also tried a Kardur artifact deck that just isn't working. I might be overthinking that one and should just try it some more, but I'm also shopping for a RB commander that really pops.

So, goons of the EDH thread, any recommendations?

Grenzo is one of my all-time faves. Gives some otherwise terrible cards a great place to shine, and it plays like no other deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://cedh-decklist-database.com/

here's the database

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/shj-af8AiUWaoFVbNORQig
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/LPa67vXm_UmFhR0QO-5NMw

here are the two Inalla lists in it

the main difference between the two is one plays a few more creatures than the other, the core of the decks is nearly identical.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's a bit of an exaggeration, the meta has slowed down a lot and staxy midrange decks without oracle are fairly prevalent everywhere I've seen.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Commanders still hit the graveyard or exile and a state-based effect gives the owner the option to move it to the command zone after that. That's the rules change.

Originally, the effect was defined as a replacement effect that prevented the card from ever hitting the zone. This actually changed how cards like Grasp of Fate interacted with commanders. Originally, if you moved the card to the command zone as a replacement, and Grasp was later removed, you'd get your commander back to the field for free. That is no longer the case since the Grasp effect doesn't follow the card from the exile zone to the command zone.

The absolute worst part of this rules change is that it hosed Norin the Wary.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

How so?

You used to be able to move him into the command zone with his ability and have it still return him to the battlefield. This made it so that if anyone played a Stifle effect or something like that on his return trigger, he'd still be able to be recast from the command zone.

Now you have to keep him in exile, so if his return trigger gets disrupted by anything he's permanently gone for the rest of the game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

His exile and return trigger are all one trigger. You either interrupt the whole thing or you don't. If you cast Stifle on him while he's still on the battlefield he triggers again and that goes on top of the stack so it will fizzle. If you stifle the exile ability, he will never leave in the first place.

That's not correct. His ability creates a delayed trigger that occurs at the end step, which goes on the stack and can be interacted with. 603.7 in the comprehensive rules.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's how a lot of effects like that work, anything which exiles and returns at the end step sets up a delayed trigger which can be interacted with. Roon of the Hidden Realm is a good example, I used to play him as a commander and included Voidslime and Trickbind for that reason.

That's actually a lot stronger now that it can permanently remove commanders, maybe I'll look into rebuilding that deck...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Companies not giving promotional materials to people who give negative reviews of their products is a very normal thing, no matter how justified those negative reviews are.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wow that's a powerful dude.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

signet lands are good in 2 color decks with an above average amount of colorless mana production imo. And they're much better than any of the garbage tapped duals they used to throw in every precon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Rachel Weeks: Extremely Cool & Good (long & Cool thread about purpose of banlist)

https://twitter.com/wachelreeks/status/1491857337295904768?s=21

This is more or less exactly how I feel about it, with similar feelings for cards like Sway and Coalition Victory. Glad to see she's on the CAG.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LeafHouse posted:

Proxies under $50 has to be the most rear end backwards house rule I’ve ever heard of

It makes sense in a casual environment where nobody owns the expensive cards already and everyone wants freedom to experiment but without getting into the super degenerate expensive stuff. But as a gatekeeping thing it sucks massive rear end.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Man, gently caress Lynch.

The weird dig at Postie (and some of the folks in the comments complaining that other channels also have him on) feels completely out of nowhere though. Like, nothing he or his dad did in that incident is anything even remotely close to the kind of hosed up sexual harassment stuff that Lynch did.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rebell is great content.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The contrast between the Twitter comments and the video's YouTube comments is kinda wild.

EDIT: It looks like all the bad youtube comments got either downvoted into oblivion so they don't show up near the top or otherwise hidden so that's great.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 19, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Am I misunderstanding? Isn't this the person who had the sex pest accusations crop up recently? Why haven't they just gone to ground?

He made a really genuine apology and the woman publicly forgave him for it afaik

EDIT: it was fake as hell, gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 20, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo that's hosed up

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Him and a handful of his sycophants are running maximum damage control in his discord right now insisting he's actually good and did nothing wrong. gently caress these people.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL Cobblepott goldfishing a Derevi deck while muttering to himself like the guy from Pi

https://twitter.com/cobblepott__/status/1506695023013859334?s=21

That derevi deck looks cool as gently caress. Stuff like this is why cedh is the best format in the game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ur-Dragon and Prosper getting some sweet tech is very nice. Minsc and Boo feels like it belongs in Changeling tribal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah as a trans person myself that's really offputting in ways I can't quite put a finger on

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Beating $10k decks to death with a vanilla 1/1 for R is the most powerful thing you can do in Magic the Gathering.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That new esper charm looking real spicy for commander. 3 mana might be a bit steep but it's such a versatile spell.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Raffine is weird but probably good, Jetmir I have no idea how to evaluate, Xander is extremely disappointing because he targets instead of hitting each opponent.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

Three devastating triggers on ETB, on attacks, and on death are disappointing because they don't hit everybody?

Making one of your three opponents discard 3 or less cards and then later having them sac half their nonland permanents is not enough for 7 mana. Milling half their library helps them more often than it hurts.

This guy is not good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

Is this what power creep does to people, where they won't even get out of bed for a creature in the command zone that doesn't just either win the game outright or at least lock everybody else out of the game for seven Mana? It's not difficult at all to get 7 (or more) Mana pretty early on in Commander. That's hardly a prohibitive cost.

Compare him to the other things you can do for 7 mana, even 5+ years ago.

His death ability is decent but that's basically it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

I mean, god forbid you actually have to work for an outcome in this game :rolleyes: I turned six cards sideways guys, why shouldn't I win?

I'm sorry that people expect expensive cards to be good and not just mildly inconvenience one opponent?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

You're complaining that you can't have a one card win con in the command zone. I'm sorry, that is beyond stupid.

I, too, like to make poo poo up to get mad at.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Framboise posted:

The Esper one seems like a fresh take on that color combo. I dig it.

Yeah its very different from previous Esper commanders. I like the incentive to go wide in these colors.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The problem with him is that he doesn't actually do anything in this format.

Making one opponent discard half their hand rounded down of their choosing is a minor inconvenience for one of your three opponents, and they will keep all of their most relevant cards. This barely impacts anyone especially if they're in a winning position.

You can't leverage his body offensively because his second ability actively helps quite a lot of decks, and even if you can safely attack he has no evasion.

His death trigger is the only decent ability, and even it is only an inconvenience. It slows one person down by getting rid of some of their mana rocks or tokens, but cannot eliminate any real threats.

He costs seven mana and in no way advances you toward winning the game, or even provides meaningful cover for you to develop other means of winning the game. If he at least hit all opponents that would give you some breathing room in like a control deck, but even then I honestly don't think he would be worth playing over any of the other Grixis commanders that see a lot of play. He doesn't even have any kind of fun synergy with other cards or an archetype to build around. He just paints a target on your own head because he looks a lot scarier than he actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chakan posted:

got my 98 mountain ashling deck perfectly.

https://twitter.com/edhrec/status/1509889916980764680

This is incredible, well played EDHrec team.