Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Remember the reason for the season

Section 1: Explanation of Commander Format

Commander, previously known as Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH), is a format of play in the Magic: The Gathering Collectible Card Game with its own independent set of rules and deck building restrictions that emphasize multiplayer games where each player is represented by a unique Legendary creature, known as a Commander.

The basic rules differences between Commander and most other magic formats are:
  • 100-card decks (including your Commander(s))
  • Decks are singleton (every card must be unique except for basic lands
  • Players start with 40 life
  • Your commander is a Legendary Creature that starts in a special zone: The Command Zone
  • Your deck may only include cards in your Commander’s Color Identity (based on the colored mana symbols found anywhere on your Commander’s card)
  • Any player dealt 21 combat damage by a single Commander is eliminated
  • The format is intended to be played as a free-for-all last-player standing multiplayer game (4-player pods are generally the most common expectation)

Otherwise, almost every card from the history of Magic: The Gathering is legal for play.

While the format is an official Wizards of the Coast product, it is ostensibly managed by the 3rd-party Commander Rules Committee (RC) and Commander Advisory Group (CAG).

Commander is played at many levels, from informal kitchen tables, to high-level competitive play (CEDH), and in this thread, we work to find solutions for players regardless of their preferred level of play.

Official commander website: https://mtgcommander.net/

Hey, now, you're a Brawl star!

Section 2: Explanation of Related Formats
  • Brawl is a similar, singleton format with singleton decks obeying color identity rules, however decks consist of 60 cards (59+ the commander) and the deck construction is limited to cards from sets currently in standard. Brawl is primarily an arena (digital) format, though it also exists in magic the gathering: online, and there is no reason it cannot be played with paper cards. Brawl has a separate banlist from standard though, cards banned in standard may be legal in brawl, and specific cards legal in standard may be banned in brawl. It is designed for either multi-player or duels, with 3 or more players life totals start at 30, with 2 players life totals start at 25.

Brawl Rules: https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/formats/brawl

• Historical Brawl follows the same ruleset, except cards legal in historic, with a similar unique banlist: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/historic-brawl-2020-12-21

• Conquest is a related format to commander, designed by Competitive Commander players to help alleviate some of the inherent issues of high-level commander play. Conquest is an 80 (79+ commander) singleton format with similar color identity rules. Any planeswalker (not just those which specifically say) may be used as a commander. Commander damage is set to 12, life totals start at 30 (25 in duel).

Conquest bans all cards from the reserve list, as well as a selection of additional cards. The conquest format is actively maintained, and cards which appear to break the format are banned in a matter of months, not years. Conquest Rules document

Guaranteed that 1 out of every block has a Legacy Staple causing it to be worth more than the other 4 combined.

Section 3: Explanation of Official Commander Product Lines

• Commander Legends - commander focused product which contained a slew of new potential commanders and many cards with a unique mechanical focus on the multiplayer format, including the new encore mechanic which scaled to the number of players in your game.

Commander in limited:
    Commander legends was a unique commander set in that it was designed to draft commander decks, and included a colorless commander that was able to choose his color.

Wizards has decided to reprise that experiment, and has confirmed that Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur’s Gate has also been designed to be drafted.

• Commander 20XX - Each year at least one set expansion features five, rather than 2, new commander deck precons, tied to an expansion. The next planned “commander 20xx” is commander 2022, to premiere alongside Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty. Hopefully this helpful comment about the future will still be here in 2030.

• Commander Precons - Every new expansion now contains commander precononstructed decks, each of which generally has at least 2 if not 3 potential commanders in the colors of the deck, generally a mediocre mana base, an appalling lack of instant speed interaction, and a weakly focused gameplan that requires the commander to function. The Precons for a set will often contain decks either mechanically or thematically tied to the set, and this seems to consistently include some new cards that are only legal in commander in each deck. Generally these precons are featured 2 per new expansion set.

• Commander Anthology - These have not been printed in 4 years, but they were reprints of older commander decks.

• Brawl Precons

• Other Non-Commander Products (i.e. Battlebond) - Wizards has been issuing other non-Commander multi-player-focused products on an infrequent basis.

No counterspells, no land destruction, no infinite combos, Fox only, Final Destination.

Section 4: Explanation of Rule 0

The idea of Rule 0 is that you should have a discussion about decks and power levels before you start the game. Generally, most commander players are pretty friendly and laid back. It is intended as a laid back format. If you have a conversation about what sort of decks you want to play and what sort of game you want to have, before you start the game, then you are more likely to have a fun, interesting game where all the players are participating. If one player is playing a deck based on pretending your Paul Atreides and running Hazezon Tamar as your commander a bunch of 6+ cost Wurms, vs someone playing Roghrakh/Silas Renn turbo-Ad Nauseum, that Hazezon player isn’t going to have any fun, or even be in the game.

Some players may be actively deceptive in the Rule 0 phase, claiming they are playing relaxed, casual decks. Do not play with those people once you find out.

You can leave the game at any time, with or without priority. You do not owe it to anyone to finish a game where you are not having fun, particularly if someone has lied about their decks power level or how it plays. If you are frustrated and miserable, odds are at least one other player is also frustrated and miserable.

As of now there are no really objective specific guidelines for power levels. Players often use terms like “battlecruiser”, “casual”, “competitive” and mean completely different things.

One of the most used definitions was developed by the playedh discord community, you can read it here: https://www.playedh.com/

Unwritten rules of commander:

• Many players generally seem to have an issue with land destruction, and this can be an important Rule 0 conversation to have.
  • Many players have a problem with "Chaos" decks (decks that do something that completely randomizes the board state or makes the game virtually unplayable) or "Group Hug" decks (decks that hand out bonuses to other players), especially if that player has no particular way to take advantage of what they have done and close out the game. These decks often have no game plan for winning the game, which is, by definition, part of the game.
  • Playtest copies and proxies: The authors of the op highly encourage you to use playtest proxies, especially for things like creating a functioning manabase. A full set of ABUR dual lands, perfectly legal, costs about $4,500. However this is also something you are encouraged to bring up pre-game.

Discussion of how to order or get commercially available proxies is a verboten discussion in the thread, so as to protect Something Awful itself, however if you ask nicely someone will almost certainly assist you. Author note: There's a very large difference between buying proxies for the purpose of play, whether with the original card art, or personalized version, and buying counterfeit cards designed to deceive people into thinking the cards are real. Your intentions aside, there's always a chance that counterfeit cards purchased will make their way into circulation and someone will get hurt down the line. It is highly recommended to include at least 1 obvious tell between any proxy used and a legitimate card in order to protect yourself and felow players.

Pictured here: The worst 2 cards in your deck

Section 5: General Deckbuilding Advice, and getting advice about your deck

Start with how you want to win the game, and work backwards from there:
  • How will I win?
  • How will I get the pieces to win with?
  • How will I protect those winning pieces?
  • How will I get the resources to protect pieces, get them, and use them?

If you want assistance with a deck, it’s generally helpful to provide more context than just a decklist. Giving some details about what you perceive the purpose of the deck to be (i.e. how it ends the drat game) and some information about your Rule 0 conversations is helpful.

By far the most frequent response to a deck being posted without any explanation is: what is the point of that deck? How do you win?

We understand that you are probably not trying to bring a nuclear weapon to a knife fight, you want a slow arms race with your pod wherein each of you improves your deck a bit from week to week. It helps if you tell us what kind of games you have, using the playedh power scale may serve as a somewhat consistent way of referring to deck power levels.

Idk why this section exists. Why would you ever leave SA?

Section 6: Offsite Resource Links

«NEW» - Unofficial Goon MTG Discord: https://discord.gg/5tsv4tmBdE

Gatherer is dead. Long live Scryfall!

Learning how to search on Scryfall can go a long way to helping you with deck construction. Scryfall is actually an incredibly powerful search engine that allows you to search using many and varied criteria, including boolean searches, and also contains updated oracle text and rulings for cards. https://scryfall.com/

Deckbuilding sites:

EDHRec: Why it is good and why it is the worst

EDHRec is a repository of information about commander decks that has existed for a long time. Players can build decks there, there are articles, as well as automatically generated lists of cards, sorted by somewhat arbitrary themes and tribes which solely use frequency of inclusion in deck lists (from a number of decks) as the driver of card order and “synergy %”. This means that any deck ever made, whether it was ever assembled or played, can have an effect on the card rankings and synergy %, whether the deck is any good or completely hot garbage this means it can be a useful resource for browsing and finding ideas, but these ratings should be used with several grains of salt.

Cards like “polymorph” searches:
These two sites will identify mechanics or abilities or types of cards and then find other cards that match that card in some way. Can be useful if you want to find other cards that do something similar, especially with unusual cards.

Competitive EDH Decklist Database: https://cedh-decklist-database.com/
By no means an exhaustive or authoritative source, but still a useful one of decks designed to be as competitive as possible using identified commanders and deck strategies. Also useful as virtually every deck has a primer written to explain how to play the deck.

Mana base helpers:

Section 7: Links to Commander Media (Podcasts/Streams/Videos)

¹ - Goon-run or Goon-affiliated resources

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Big shout outs to Pseudanonymous for his help compiling this OP.

Request: IF YOU HAVE IMPORTANT POSTS FROM THE LAST THREAD, RESOURCES YOU WOULD LIKE INCLUDED, OR JUST SOME CONTENT CREATORS YOU LIKE, :justpost: AND I WILL ADD THEM TO THE OP

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

He was very powerful 10 years ago

Sus

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Railing Kill posted:

Here's the 2 CMC rocks in a nutshell:

***Arcane Signet***
***Fellwar Stone***
***Signets (two color cycle)***
***Talismans (two color cycle)***
***Mind Stone***
***Thought Vessel***
Liquidmetal Torque
Diamonds (one color cycle)
Coldsteel Heart
Prismatic Lens
Star Compass
Sphere of the Suns
Fractured Powerstone

I would add Everflowing Chalice, Guardian Idol (relevant body for some decks), and probably the Medallions for mono-color decks. I also value Torque over Thought Vessel a lot because it turns on some removal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grevlek posted:

Dana from edhrec had a very recent article suggesting the medallions might make sense to include in two color decks as well. Food for thought

There certainly exist 2-color decks where they make sense, but it gets down to counting generic Mana costs. Same way that the Invasion familiars could be relevant to certain 3-color decks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grevlek posted:

They are absolute slam dunks in Arcades and Korvold, like you can get Korvold out turn 3 with something to sac ( the familiar ) without a penny spent on fast mana.

You do know they don't double dip, right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

'cause it's one line of rules text instead of two like Augustin has, right?

Correct.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/article/10-Green-Commander-Cards-You-Should-Be-Playing/3f800c3d-457b-4dbf-8a67-1281e9088826/

Alright, how many of these do you guys agree with, and which were missing from the list that you think should be there?

I give the article a 4 out of 10, which is how many cards on that list I think you should consider playing.

But, the article itself is kinda click-bait nonsense. It doesn't have a premise other than "green cards I like". It's not a "underplayed" list, which is pretty subjective given the lack of broad data, it's not a "staples under $5 list", it's not a "cards for a mono-color deck" list.

Like, a "all green cards with green identity sorted by EDHRank" list, like this one has more hits than misses, but still doesn't tell you a lot.

And things don't exist in a vaccuum.

Like, which of these cards is better:
  • Guardian Project
  • Garruk's Uprising
  • Elemental Bond

The answer is: It's complicated.

If you want staple cards, the cEDH list is well-curated and broadly applicable to slower tables as well: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/0DDiZV77lkSqfVAm8eCllg

If you want my previous edition of "cards that were under a dollar when I made this list a couple of months ago and are actually quite good", then here's that one: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/rAj7puhPlEmtNnrIfeY5aw

I'm sure that if you are looking for any sort of list of "Best cards matching XXX criteria", then there's half a dozen people in this very thread willing to knowledge dump on it, just like happened with the 2-drop mana rocks a couple pages ago.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The notion that a $50 deck, or just about any precon, is going to run at a level that really even consistently hits its gameplan is one that Content Creators looking to get cheap clicks push readily and is largely incompatible with reality.

The $100-200 range really can net you a competent deck in 1-2 colors fairly often, though, and a lot of that is in transferrable staples (and things you may already have), so much so, that I won't even look at the $50 decks full of mega-trash compromises, because the stuff there is often not really repurposable so you are really just pissing away money to make a bad deck to have to do the same thing again for your next deck.

As far as keeping out $15 cards, that was a lot more tenable 5 or 10 years ago before people started driving up playables on the regular. It's probably somewhat doable now without totally compromising your deck, but it certainly cuts down a lot of viable commanders. Irreplaceable stuff like Phyrexian Altar just make certain lines unplayable.

So, my general suggestion is: either start budgeting out key pieces that you want and just play what you have a little longer, or find a group that is comfortable with proxies so you don't have to worry about cost at all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

Blogs in 2022? Big lol emoji.

The only difference between Sheldon's SCG column and a livejournal is that he gets paid for it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unironically, someone explain to me why everyone is trying to pretend like Toxrill is A Thing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heath posted:

"A Thing" in what sense?

I'm but I keep seeing passing references to it being the new hot ticket everyone is either afraid of or wants to build around and that seems ludicrous to me as it's a massively overcosted durdle.

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the Big Deal about it is that you can Kormus Bell to wipe people which is like the dumbest slowest 3-card combo that doesn't even end the game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm just looking at these scenarios:
1. People are running Kormus Bell + Toxrill at their battlecruiser tables, where either nobody can disrupt an artifact, a creature, or a land, when It's telegraphed from the commander reveal, which is the perfect storm of "their deck doesn't let me play" that casuals hate, but at 11 Mana total, which is :laffo:
2. People trying to do sick plays with a 7-man commander with no protection, who generates no immediate value, and who is only 2 colors, at higher-power tables which is pure :sickos:
3. People reading Sheldon's blog posts about how it's his Card of the Year, and strenuously believing he's onto something and they are just this close to figuring it out which is adorable :shobon:

I have seen the light. May all your Sluggos be Lit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Railing Kill posted:

My point is that the Shivam tweet that literally said EDH is casual because it is multiplayer is utter horseshit. It doesn't matter what game it is, my joke about competitive VTES notwithstanding.

I loved Warp World in Standard and ran it at FNM constantly. If I was playing Brawl or something where at worst, I wasted 10 minutes of 1 person's time because I durdeled too hard, I would play the poo poo out of Warp World. I love it.

When I have 3 people waiting on my clock and 120 life to chew through, I will never play Warp World because I'd feel honestly bad if I didn't get there in a reasonable fashion and spoiled everyone's time.

Being a multiplayer format forces me, Toshimo of The Goon Forums, to be more competitive, because I am responsible to more players and the bar for winning is much higher. Painting multiplayer as "more casual" to me illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding of how games work.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Insert my annual rant about how irreplaceable Phyrexian Altar is, how it is starved for reprints, and how it gets more expensive every month.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like watching LegenVD's Historic Brawl videos sometimes on Youtube. How easy would it be to take something like this or this and retool it into a legitimate Commader deck? Would it just be easier to start from scratch, or from the "average" list for the commanders on EDHRec instead?

The power level on these are incredibly low, and they would barely get through a single opponent with their best draw, not 3. They really aren't worth looking at.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TotalHell posted:

I’ve browsed through EDHrec and a few other places, but I figured I’d surface the question here to some fellow goons:

I lucked into a Tinybones this week, so now I’m looking at a discard deck. Any recommendations? I’m already planning on running specters, the Professor Onyx + Chain of Smog combo, Bottomless Pit, Necrogen Mists, and Waste Not. Any major other major inclusions I’ve missed?

Talk about your budget/proxy situation because Chains of Mephistopheles and Tergrid are both great.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I want to believe this is what happened when he had a single permanent blown up by a Sylvan Primordial.

Sylvan Primordial is just fine banned. Seriously. If you've never played a table where it got chain reanimated, trust me, there's no enjoyment to be had there. The fact that it was asymmetrical was really loving dumb.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

At this point, what would the best bans and safest unbans be?

As always:

BAN

• The Reserved List
  • 0-1 Mana rocks
  • Demonic Consultation
  • Doomsday

UNBAN
Sway of the Stars

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heath posted:

Surely humble Reserved List card Tithe is not ban worthy?

Tithe is $30 and continues to rise. gently caress the Reserved List. Burn it all down.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grevlek posted:

It seems like banning the reserve list would do a better job of indicating people don't need OG duals than just writing articles on your blog about playing tapped gainlands.

Did he really say that poo poo? Lmao

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

As an alternative, I just feel that the RC needs to get on board with supporting proxies. That way the cards are available and accessible to all.

This isn't an option. If the RC says "use proxies", WotC immediately cuts them loose and takes the whole format in-house. It would be political suicide.

That's why the RL just needs to be deleted. It's worked fantastically for Conquest. Any even remotely decent card just starts getting pumped as soon as a Content Creator spotlights it. We are rapidly getting to the point where the floor on a playable RL card is $30 and rising.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

This is the most insufferable poo poo.

He leads off with a "this recipe reminds me of 9/11" style opening to generate wordcount for SEO (and bury all the sales links).

Then he presents a deck list in generally random useless order/categories.

Then paragraph 1 of "My Take" is this monstrosity and I can't even follow what he's trying to say: "He can even put the triggered ability of the Changeling Titan, Changeling Berserker, or Changeling Hero on the stack first and then Rin and Seri’s so that he can eat the one with summoning sickness. "

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dizz posted:

do people ever leak fake cards and such? would be funny to gently caress people over with interesting or cool cards that won't exist.

Every set and it's always dumb.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I brought my Drake posted:

When did the legendary rule stop being a thing? At last night's game I tried to kill someone's commander by Cloning it and apparently it doesn't work that way anymore?

Leave the format for ten years and everything changes. :psyduck:

2014, almost specifically for the exact situation you tried.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Another thing Sheldon said was "unfun". Maybe he got hit with a Spin into Myth + Tunnel Vision or something and got salty.

Removing the tuck rule was in fact "cool and good" and generally well received.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Iron Heart posted:

Re: Norin's return being a delayed trigger, does he just get lost in space forever if you use an end-the-turn effect when he's about to return, exiling it, too?

Yes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Wow, how could you forget about MtG Goldfish?!

Lmao, do they even have writers?

E: They got like two or three people, I think?

Hey, it's Annoying Voice... also known as Hype Factory. I've got an unbeatable combo deck today that I will curate to just the games I managed to draw perfect on so we can move some of these lower tier singles.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

I literally do not understand this typing confusion.

#contentcreators

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fadam posted:

Do we really need to get rid of either? I know they’re strong but all the tournament results I’ve seen since I’ve started playing indicate the format is pretty diverse.

Yes, but on the other hand, yes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, red has like less than 10 notable cards outside of Dockside and one of those is a $100+ reserved list card. Jeska's Will is nice, but as far as non-cycle cards go, red's big identity for the last 5 years has been rituals, which isn't all that interesting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Fwiw, nobody gives a poo poo about Dockside in mono-red. Splashing it as an extra ritual in UGBx is the problem and that's not really justifiable as "red's identity".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

I hope they are not making any considerations for the format through the lens of cEDH. They got their drat Flash ban and swore on a stack of bibles that was all they needed. Well, if banning Dockside is going to gently caress up cEDH, so be it.

Source your quotes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dockside is a card they could have printed in mirage and nobody bats an eye, sure. But that's because there weren't like 5 moxen/lotuses and people weren't playing good decks 25 years ago.

It's a card they should have known better than to print in 2019, especially in a commander-specific product. It demonstrates a fundamental lack of awareness of the format and its design needs.

Dockside 100% scales to table power, and to how many of them are at the table. A durdle turtle table where people are chucking Explosive Vegetation and The Great Henge instead of Chrome Mox and Wild Growth, the card's hardly notable.

The big problem is that now you are incentivizing poor play patterns. There are a non-negligible number of players who will deliberately play worse cards because they don't want to power opposing Docksides, and that's pretty much the only damning evidence you need to tell you that the card is a problem.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What kind of immense rear end in a top hat do you need to be to not comprehend that, especially during a global pandemic full of in-person restrictions, that the majority of play is not being done at your LGS with your close group of pals? "Strong Social Contract" can eat my entire rear end.

Fire Sheldon. Preferably into the sun.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darkoni posted:

No one tell me who did the GRN Steam Vents, it's the only play mat I have.

I'm not going to tell you who it is, but he did tweet at Donald Trump that he's a whiny little bitch, so he's ok for now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Not sure what you mean, it's very pretty art, and would make a lovely playmat

Is there some sort of alternate world where Hanna has art other than the two versions from Double Masters and Invasion? ;)

Not my Hanna.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is the Grolnok deck Jon Suarez played back in November 2021: https://old.starcitygames.com/decks/154823

Might have some good ideas? I believe he won the match of Commander VS he played with it, whatever that's worth.

Let me preface this with: Thanks for recommending this and I'm not mad at you.

I hate basically everything about this deck and would recommend it to nobody.

It is completely unfocused. It has a ton of 4 and 5 card minithemes that don't pay off, a couple of non-bos, and worst of all, it doesn't seem to leverage the most interaction: getting spell effects off milled cards (for instance, MDFCs or 187s).

This is exacerbated by the SCG deck list basically being impossible to read, which is really annoying from a company that should know how to publish deck lists.

I think my biggest recommendation for making a list with this guy is to (A) pick 1 or 2 wincons (probably either labman variants or maybe a weird storm thing) and (B) avoid playing a bunch of meaningless mill durdles (Crop Sigil? Universal Automaton? Really?).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Biorhythm deserves to be banned because its the card that literally every casual wannabe will jam to either steal random wins off nothing but a mana dork post wrath, or will just draw games. I think there's no real reason to leave Sway banned. Worldwide already proved that point. Other than that, my concerns are extremely lopsided in terms of format overhaul and additional bans.

On a related note, Conquest tried out pregame Scrys (Scry X where X is the number of players before you) for a quarter and it was so cool and good, it's now a format rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

Chun-Li seems ridiculously busted.

What are you casting with her?