Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I'm thinking of picking up a few recent commander precons to play with my partner. She's never played Magic, I've played a bunch of Arena before but don't own any physical cards. We play A:NR together already but she finds the decision-space complexity in that game a bit overwhelming sometimes if she's not totally switched on, so looking for something a little bit more relaxed.

Thing is we'd likely be playing mostly 1v1. I know commander decks are designed primarily for multiplayer, but they still seem like a good option since
- it'd be nice to be able to try the proper multiplayer game with the same decks if we have friends over or whatever
- I know some precons might be imbalanced against each other in 1v1, but if we get a few different decks hopefully most of the matchups should be at least okay?
- having a few cards designed for multiplayer and overcosted/useless in 1v1 shouldn't really be that big a deal if we're just playing super casually?

Seems like the main alternative options would be getting some Challenger decks (easy to pick up and play, but worried they'd get stale much faster just due to their consistency) or just getting a bunch of boosters to play some kind of limited or kitchen-table cobbled together decks (not so easy to pick up and play, and I guess I don't mind drafting but tend to find actual games of limited are often kind of boring anyway). Am I missing something that'd make 1v1 commander way less fun than I'm hoping or should it be OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU