Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Forgot this was happening. Pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

goldrush posted:

this lengthy goal review and followed by a coach's challenge is loving hilarious

What was the outcome of that? I was watching at a bar with no sound. I know it was no goal, but what was the reason for the decision?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Koth posted:

What was the outcome of that? I was watching at a bar with no sound. I know it was no goal, but what was the reason for the decision?

It was ruled no goal on the ice

After a 9 minute review it was called a good goal because it wasn’t hit in with a high stick. It was knocked down with a high stick then slapped in down low.

After a coaches challenge it was ruled no goal again due to goalie interference because the dude blatantly hammered the goalie on the head with his stick while swinging for the puck which is pretty much the reason for the high stuck goal rule?

All very dumb.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Luke Hughes is so good

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He sure is. Why on earth is he going back to Michigan this year?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

because he was drafted by the New Jersey Devils, and wants to win stuff before taking a 5+ year break from it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/1557425712276987904?t=FNvB4AKTZ6TuUKUya4I85Q&s=19

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Ahaha summer hockey owns for us losers who want to watch top prospects play on tv, but a weekday round robin game in August is a tough sell

The true test will be Canadas game tonight. Hockey Canada is a pretty cancerous brand lately, wonder if that affects anything

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's of course a totally unofficial twitter poll but I'd say yes Hockey Canada's reputation hurts them at least somewhat.

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1556700204337836032?t=s9aNg-90nnpcBppgMK0ygw&s=19

Also anything scheduled for midday on a weekday is unlikely to draw many attendees.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ticketmaster says there's only ~150 tickets left for each of Canada's round robin games, and they still want $450+probably $200 in fees for the cheapest 4 game packages.

The $50 lower bowl tickets for Sweden/USA is tempting but i really don't feel like giving a dime to ticketmaster or contributing to Hockey Canada's rape fund.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I love this tourney usually but holy gently caress can hockey Canada go to hell. I'll just make sure to watch on a steam that ensures they don't get a cent.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/iihfhockey/status/1557510667975987201?s=21&t=61gREuh2CAldc20n302fMw

The one handed flick owns

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

My theory is that the lack of fans is due to the suspension of the Russian team from the tournament.. it's just not the same without the villain. The lame rear end Americans are just not able to fill that spot in the hearts and minds of Canadians.

Also couldn't have helped that the stupid Swiss team cut the next Dallas Stars super prospect Lian Bischel because he wouldn't sign up for some bullshit training camp after not having had any time off of training or playing hockey for over a year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Color commentary guy in the FIN/CZE game sounds like he's reading these players names for the first time

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Dennis Beyak was so good at that. Gord Miller too, but Dennis always had the non-North American games with the more difficult names. I don't know how they remember all the players.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Canada's been firmly in control, but man they look sloppy and disorganized. Short camp, I guess.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
The gravity of the sexual assault coverups are clearly weighing on them.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Powershift posted:

because he was drafted by the New Jersey Devils, and wants to win stuff before taking a 5+ year break from it.

and he plans to do that....at michigan?????

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Teemu Pokemon posted:

and he plans to do that....at michigan?????

yeah Michigan is a really good hockey team. They just narrowly lost in the Frozen Four to the eventual NCAA Champion Denver team. Their team last season was so stacked, just look at the roster:
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0070752022.html

Not all those guys are coming back, but it's still a really solid team.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Basically everyone left Michigan except for Luke Hughes. Hughes is the only one of their top 7 scorers from last year that hasn't signed an NHL deal yet. That's why I asked why he hasn't signed. They're gonna be way worse next year.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 12, 2022

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i think you guys really need to do a deep dive into the last 3 decades of michigan hockey

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
this carter mazur guy seems pretty good

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Canada's Kent Johnson just scored one of those lacrosse goals. Very cool.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Latvia is about to upset the Czechs

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Latvia is about to upset the Czechs

Apparently this is their first ever top-level WJHC win.

e: hat trick for [looks closely] Ralfs Bergmanis

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're celebrating in the locker room like they won the cup :3:

They're on to the quarter-finals now, too. Hope they beat Canada.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah good for them, the last time they had ever won a game was over 10 years ago, and it was to avoid relegation

also I thought one of the announcers kept saying "Hot rear end" but it turns out they were referring to this guy:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Hot rear end Bogdans is my favourite takeaway.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Team USA really beating up on Sweden even though the score doesn't show it. Kind of surprising. I thought it'd be closer - not that 2-0 isn't close.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quarterfinals today, and they'll take all day, since they're only using one rink.

Times ET:
12:00 noon Finland vs Germany
3:30pm Sweden vs Latvia
7:00pm Canada vs Switzerland
10:30pm USA vs Czechia

Zat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 17, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sweden-Latvia is 1-1 approaching midway through the third. From what I've seen, Sweden doesn't look especially good. They just had a five minute powerplay and didn't manage much of anything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You jinxed it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

You jinxed it.

Just have to believe harder.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
good for Latvia, they did way better than anyone expected

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So, Czechia beat the USA in a huge upset.

The semifinals are on Friday:
Canada vs Czechia 4pm ET
Sweden vs Finland 8pm ET

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
US losing to a team they absolutely shouldn't have lost to is completely on brand. I think this happened to them with the Slovaks last time, or very recently at least.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So the U.S lost to this Czech team eh? Oh well Canada has trouble with Finland in international tournament's anyway so maybe they'll "upset" Canadians if they are the ones in the final as well...assuming anybody would even know if it happened this time.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 19, 2022

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zat posted:

Another Canada-Finland final for the ages.

Heh.

Surprisingly it turns out this is the first Canada-Finland final in WJC history! However the past 3 men's World Championships have had Canada and Finland in the final.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zat posted:

Heh.

Surprisingly it turns out this is the first Canada-Finland final in WJC history! However the past 3 men's World Championships have had Canada and Finland in the final.

Fairly surprising since they make up 6 of the last 9 champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Canada scores first, and also the shots are 7-0.