Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Ah I see, an entire 100 episodes about Saijou Claudine.
no see it literally is. character who looks up to her older sister and tries to imitate her but realizes she can never be as good at being her as her and then looks in a mirror and goes 'wait, when did i stop smiling?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

no see it literally is

sold

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also really good at faces.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
they sing the op for like the first 10 eps of pretty rhythm rainbow live so im stronger than that

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love musicals. I love when people start singing about their emotions in the middle of an argument, or stop in the street to break out into dance. It's ridiculous and over-the-top, and I adore them for the sheer spectacle of sitting in an audience and watching actors perform. But, for obvious reasons, there haven't been a lot of live performances in the past couple years, and I haven't been able to go to the cinema much either. So there's been a big hole in my heart where theatre should go.

Enter Revue Starlight in January 2021. I saw some fanart of two characters looking very Utena, and I thought, "well, I've got so much spare time, let me look the source of this up and watch it." Little did I know I had stumbled into something that would define my whole year.

Revue Starlight is a story where nine girls sing, dance and fight for glory on the stage. It's the story of two girls brought back together by a long-held promise who must fight to avoid being torn apart again by the cruelty of the stage.

The first two episodes were pretty good, some excellent musical pieces and animation, and a turn for the absurd that I enjoyed, but it was the third episode that made me sit up and go "wow, this is good," with one particular sequence that, well, just listen to this and I think you'll understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg7qZzwqWYQ

At that moment the show took my breath away and never quite gave it back. Each episode pulled me in further with charming characters, beautiful animation, spectacular fights, and fantastic music. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but that was it. Until I went to listen to the songs on youtube, and discovered Revue Starlight is not just an anime, but a series of stageplays and concerts, too. At that time, my city had just entered a snap lockdown that meant I had no work to keep me from spiralling into pandemic anxiety. I turned to the seemingly endless font of Revue Starlight content to keep the panic at bay.

The concerts demonstrated the raw talent and power of the actors, and the stage plays showed new sides to the characters. Karen's voice was a little richer, Junna a little more unhinged, while Nana's melancholy went unexamined, and Maya gained an even more terrifying stage presence. The plays introduced wonderful new characters, like the glamourous principal Souda, and her rival teacher from another school who constantly cartwheels across the stage.

I even resorted to playing the gacha game, which has boring gameplay, poor writing and insane powercreep, and this is coming from someone who still plays Fire Emblem Heroes so that's really saying something.

I had so much love for this series but no one to talk about it to, so I used my subtle skills of manipulation (posting a youtube clip) to infect Cheetah with my brainworms. It was successful beyond all expectations and he is now about as obsessed as I am. Since then, count of people I have convinced to watch this show has increased to five. I will continue to work hard to recruit more people.

The franchise continued with new instalments in 2021 (but the anime is from 2019 so it counts for this thread!) including the third stage play, which I was able to watch live on stream, and the movie, which absolutely blew me away and is an incredible conclusion to the story of the anime.

I did watch other anime this year, but nothing was as important to me as Revue Starlight. I'd like to watch more Takarazuka-influenced things (and actual Takarazuka) so I will definitely be following that Kageki Shoujo recommendation!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I did watch other anime this year, but nothing was as important to me as Revue Starlight. I'd like to watch more Takarazuka-influenced things (and actual Takarazuka) so I will definitely be following that Kageki Shoujo recommendation!
Rose of Versailles is a manga and anime that has itself been turned into an extremely popular Takarazuka play, you can feel its influence strongly on pretty much any Takarazuka-based anime. I'd recommend it too, it's old as hell but still extremely enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIeJIqw-J0

just look at this op and you can see how it hit the whole concept like a big bang

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

oh hell yes, that theme song rules!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Erg posted:

In roughly the order I finished them this year. Enjoy random screenshots and gifs I dug from when I was watching that I have forgotten the context for.

Log Horizon S1 & 2 the Just Doing Things of this really connected with me. Love love love how silly it gets while always feeling grounded and logical for why things are happening. Even the dreaded raiding of S2 didn't really slow me down much. Had zero interest in trying S3 after seeing the official subs but my faith in Commie taking it up is waning.

honestly the raids were the part of S2 i liked most, even if for the former half of the season i had to deal with akatsuki's aggressive self-loathing and the WILLIAM MASSACHUSETTS gamer pride speech; even with that in mind, the payoff for the end of both raids was great

if anything the part of S2 i've heard the most gripes about was the very, very long stretch of it that focused on the kids' journey down the tokaido corridor (and then again for the last arc of season 3 where people were going "another arc about the kids?? :suicide:")

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

no see it literally is. character who looks up to her older sister and tries to imitate her but realizes she can never be as good at being her as her and then looks in a mirror and goes 'wait, when did i stop smiling?'

Stars problem was I took 2 cours to get there so it feels more bloated than the episodic original or the more tighter Aikatsu Friends but it's so good that it still ends up a great kids show. Even if the music is the weakest of the 3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the early stuff in stars is pretty good honestly, its mostly the ep 30-ep 50 range that it drags a bit

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I love musicals. I love when people start singing about their emotions in the middle of an argument, or stop in the street to break out into dance. It's ridiculous and over-the-top, and I adore them for the sheer spectacle of sitting in an audience and watching actors perform. But, for obvious reasons, there haven't been a lot of live performances in the past couple years, and I haven't been able to go to the cinema much either. So there's been a big hole in my heart where theatre should go.

Enter Revue Starlight in January 2021. I saw some fanart of two characters looking very Utena, and I thought, "well, I've got so much spare time, let me look the source of this up and watch it." Little did I know I had stumbled into something that would define my whole year.

Revue Starlight is a story where nine girls sing, dance and fight for glory on the stage. It's the story of two girls brought back together by a long-held promise who must fight to avoid being torn apart again by the cruelty of the stage.

The first two episodes were pretty good, some excellent musical pieces and animation, and a turn for the absurd that I enjoyed, but it was the third episode that made me sit up and go "wow, this is good," with one particular sequence that, well, just listen to this and I think you'll understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg7qZzwqWYQ

At that moment the show took my breath away and never quite gave it back. Each episode pulled me in further with charming characters, beautiful animation, spectacular fights, and fantastic music. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but that was it. Until I went to listen to the songs on youtube, and discovered Revue Starlight is not just an anime, but a series of stageplays and concerts, too. At that time, my city had just entered a snap lockdown that meant I had no work to keep me from spiralling into pandemic anxiety. I turned to the seemingly endless font of Revue Starlight content to keep the panic at bay.

The concerts demonstrated the raw talent and power of the actors, and the stage plays showed new sides to the characters. Karen's voice was a little richer, Junna a little more unhinged, while Nana's melancholy went unexamined, and Maya gained an even more terrifying stage presence. The plays introduced wonderful new characters, like the glamourous principal Souda, and her rival teacher from another school who constantly cartwheels across the stage.

I even resorted to playing the gacha game, which has boring gameplay, poor writing and insane powercreep, and this is coming from someone who still plays Fire Emblem Heroes so that's really saying something.

I had so much love for this series but no one to talk about it to, so I used my subtle skills of manipulation (posting a youtube clip) to infect Cheetah with my brainworms. It was successful beyond all expectations and he is now about as obsessed as I am. Since then, count of people I have convinced to watch this show has increased to five. I will continue to work hard to recruit more people.

The franchise continued with new instalments in 2021 (but the anime is from 2019 so it counts for this thread!) including the third stage play, which I was able to watch live on stream, and the movie, which absolutely blew me away and is an incredible conclusion to the story of the anime.

:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkN4EJnnPZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoAuvg6AjEQ

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I started LoGH last year

You know there's no amount of being told how good LoGH is that actually conveys how good LoGH is

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Patware posted:

I started LoGH last year

You know there's no amount of being told how good LoGH is that actually conveys how good LoGH is
Since this season looks pretty bare I might start watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Talk about a dry spell, my only watch in the past year was Martian Successor Nadesico which I finished yesterday (blew through it in 2 nights).

If I told myself a week ago that I was going to heavily enjoy what is essentially The Bachelor but in a spaceship with giant robots where the crew is on copious amounts of cocaine obsessing over 70's anime while inside an anime themselves all which was written by someone who has obviously listened to Marillion's Misplaced Childhood album too many times, I would be as equally mortified as I were curious.

And then I would watch the poo poo out of it, because Aesthetic テぜ者

Oh and hearing both Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant broke my brain