Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I briefly considered watching more of Miami Guns (very good series 4 eps in, best recap ep I’ve ever seen) at a La Quinta in Slidell, LA. I would not recommend staying at any La Quinta in Louisiana at this point as they have been universally gross and featured the sound of distant crying babies.

This is unfortunate as La Quinta is a beloved hotel chain that allows you to bring your pets with you. Louisiana apparently has an epidemic of misbehaving dogs who’s only trick consists of smoking a pack a day in these non smoking rooms. This scourge must be stopped to preserve La Quinta’s good name

Anyways it’s been hard to go back to Miami Guns after reaching the promised gay men ep but I appreciate that they were participating in a foreign military conscription scheme instead of being awful perverts/rapists. Miami guns can’t be faulted for creativity!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In roughly the order I finished them this year. Enjoy random screenshots and gifs I dug from when I was watching that I have forgotten the context for.

Log Horizon S1 & 2 the Just Doing Things of this really connected with me. Love love love how silly it gets while always feeling grounded and logical for why things are happening. Even the dreaded raiding of S2 didn't really slow me down much. Had zero interest in trying S3 after seeing the official subs but my faith in Commie taking it up is waning.

Prince of Tennis Squark gave it a better review upthread but I can't overstate how much this lives on having some amazing gags and comedy eps for me. The date ep and Kaidou's no good very bad day being some stand outs for me. The matches themselves are good and even some of the stock footage (like echizen sliding across the court on his rear end) becomes beloved. Special shout out to every time Trans Arts found a new Windows Movie Maker effect to use

Etotama some of the best CG I've seen in a weekly show. I'd really rec it almost on that alone as a "if you're giving me CG this is what I want" bar setting. Plenty of good comedy and running gags with the girls. Rooster is the best btw. I think the larger lore they got in to towards the end lost me a bit and I didn't care for some of the characters but over 2/3 of the cast was great.

Hanasakeru Seishounen Another show I think Squark gave a more comprehensive review of. The pace wanes a little once we settle in to fake asian country but 80s shoujo seems unmatched in the amount of poo poo it chucks in to a storyline. I love the fact that anytime you need to move a story along you can toss in a gun and reliably have some excitement. There's also an ep where they change directors for the rest of the show and I managed to call the shift in one of the chars without realizing it, which is probably a top 3 anime nerd moment.

Bunny Girl Senpai Watched this because it has the Peggies and was called budget Monogatari. That's exactly what I got and loved it. Ended up binging it over 3 days and enjoyed every second of it.

Ace of Diamond Part 1 Pure sports show distilled. Has the balls to let the team fail sometimes which keeps up tension. In contrast to Prince of Tennis this feels pretty hyper focused on baseball, you're not really seeing much of people's lives outside of flashbacks happening during the games. I'd call this a negative if I didn't think the games were so dang well done. I enjoy the pace that it moves at where sometimes you've got a kid stuck in a rut for multiple games because that's how life is.

Priconne Re:Dive really goofy and heartwarming. Does a fantastic job of being a comedy with very few truly irredeemably awful people which is hard. I've said before my favorite genre is "Idiots and Assholes" and this manages to deliver on that without having anyone really in the latter category. Fave gag is probably Kokkoro's :x face.

ID: Invaded the genre of "stupid smart show" is hideously underserved so I appreciate this new entry. I would have liked the episodic stuff to last maybe an extra ep or two since my memory is basically the whole second half is concerned with one arc. Really inventive worlds and setups though and the "great detective" framing for how the whole thing works is entertaining.

D4DJ good comfort food anime. This feels like a pretty rough CG show with plenty of 2D characters they deemed not worth CG models but there's a lot of really expressive CG work for the MCs to compensate. The stakes are some of the lowest I've seen which made me way more willing to engage with it compared to some idol anime like Love Live where we have to have the school being in danger of closing or something. This just being four girls that enjoy hanging out and wanting to make good music is a relief. I'm ambivalent on some of the songs but the focus on everything being part of in an universe DJ setlist was a welcome change for the music.