Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

frumpykvetchbot posted:

That's some hot take and I would enjoy watching olympic games where all the athletes are roided up neckless doom soldiers whose hearts explode before age 25. But I don't think you go far enough. They should also rescind the ban on performance enhancing cyberprosthetics. Just imagine 400m records if sprinters could have massive brushless motors and wheels for legs.

That is reserved for the special olympics only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I want this for real do it now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqB6rY94DCw

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tarquinn posted:

What other sports could be improved by being honest and fully embracing their unethical sides?

All of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAdG-iTilWU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

i used to hate all the races in my younger years but learned the errors of my ways and come to appreciate them as I got older

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I've overheard a guy hating on Formula E because the cars don't sound like real cars.

Do Formula E cars go "Boing Boing" as opposed to "Vroom Vroom"?

Edit: A race I don't hate is The Melbourne Cup. Because we get a public holiday for it. I mean it sucks for the horses that are tortured by little men in shiny satin all so rich people and gambling addicts can watch them run in a circle. But public holidays are cool, so what are you gonna do?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Formula E cars go "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

I'd like to see the Tour de France start with a fist fight, because those dudes have zero upper body strength and it would be hilarious

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat

dc3k posted:

i want to see tour de france but instead of drugged up dudes doing it it's those creepy rear end robots that walk like humans. teach them to ride a bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GjBa_WmwyA

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The tour de france would be greatly improved if they stopped worrying about what drugs the athletes are taking. Let them dope themselves up! It will enhance their performance, it's what it's made to do.

Yes, make sports more extreme. And no, I don't mean snow boards and half pipes.

Edit: Although... adding a couple of half pipes to the tour de France would be a step up.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

StoryTime posted:

I've been playing a racing game called Dirt lately, and I gotta ask why the gently caress do people dig these ditches next to the roads in Jämsä, Finland. They're like custom built for somersaulting a Mini Cooper S into a forest. gently caress that race. Also there's a specific turn that is definitely not "left 3 tightens", it's "slam the breaks fucko or we both die".

The Finns dig them because they get free Mini Coopers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I hate the Tour de France because my family would always go to my Grandparents' house in the summer and my uncle would bogart the TV with what as far as I can tell is the most boring human spectacle in existence. Tennis or even golf would have been a massive step up. I'm your typical goon who doesn't like any sports except rap or country but bicycle racing is the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I love all forms of motorsport. Road, oval, rally, karts, cars, trucks, motorcycles, open wheel, tin top, paved, dirt whatever. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about horse or bicycle racing or stick and ball sports, but I love me some motorsport.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i agree im more of a one day kinda guy

paris-roubaix all the way

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hate every horse race because the entire sport is needlessly dangerous and exploitative

(that being said, I do like taking illegal chinese horse steroids)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

StoryTime posted:

I've been playing a racing game called Dirt lately, and I gotta ask why the gently caress do people dig these ditches next to the roads in Jämsä, Finland. They're like custom built for somersaulting a Mini Cooper S into a forest. gently caress that race. Also there's a specific turn that is definitely not "left 3 tightens", it's "slam the breaks fucko or we both die".
the finnish stages in dirt rally arnt very good imo, the elevation change is way too much and the roads are way wider than any bum gently caress provincial road would ever be. all of dirt rally is kinda like that but finland is the worst offender. the game is still quite good, but have a look at WRC 10 for more realistic proportioned stages. or richard burns rally, but it needs some modding to get up to spec these days.

also i like to drink and drive until i cant keep my subaru between the ditches. my favorite stages are probably greece or wales.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dakkar is cool too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought everyone knew Richard Burns Rally is the only acceptable WRC game.g

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought everyone knew Richard Burns Rally is the only acceptable WRC game.g
i took a toyota matrix up a REAL logging road to a trail head and creeping along at under 25 kph trying to not blow out the cars suspension on pot holes gives a good respect for the bonkers flat out speeds those madmen are doing on poo poo roads

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the human race seems pretty poo poo to me, if I'm being honest OP

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
There should be a poker gimmick race called Race Of Spades I think that would be pretty cool

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Race Bannon is a punk rear end bitch and I hate him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pug Rodeo posted:

Race Bannon is a punk rear end bitch and I hate him.

Are you suggesting Johnny Quest had a bit of a Race Problem?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
2 pages and nobody's said America's Cup yet, for shame. Clearly the worst of all races.

First of all, the lawyer team is more important than the sailing team and they spend years fighting court battles over the rules for the race. Second, they've abandoned the only thing that made the race cool: being able to design the boat and invent some new boat-tech that was so much better than the other guy's dumb boat that they sued you over your boat being too good. Third, the participants are universally all rich assholes.
The trophy presentation should be a lineup like :guillotine::guillotine::guillotine: <- but the middle one higher like an olympics podium

And lastly, once they finally have the boats and finish the lawsuits, it's a loving bore! They sail around doing tiny laps in an enclosed harbor and they skip days with bad weather.

God drat, if some rich fuckers are gonna have a prestigious sailboat race, make it a loving ocean voyage! Re-create the Tea Race and have a Fuzhou to London marathon. You could do that these days and have video for the whole thing on the internet. Imagine the ratings when one team hits a storm.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'd like to see the Tour de France start with a fist fight, because those dudes have zero upper body strength and it would be hilarious

Watching cyclists fight is hilarious. You'd think they'd be kicking each other but no, it's just noodle-armed haymakers and grabbing at each others' helmets until a spectator comes and separates them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Klyith posted:

2 pages and nobody's said America's Cup yet, for shame. Clearly the worst of all races.

First of all, the lawyer team is more important than the sailing team and they spend years fighting court battles over the rules for the race. Second, they've abandoned the only thing that made the race cool: being able to design the boat and invent some new boat-tech that was so much better than the other guy's dumb boat that they sued you over your boat being too good. Third, the participants are universally all rich assholes.
The trophy presentation should be a lineup like :guillotine::guillotine::guillotine: <- but the middle one higher like an olympics podium

And lastly, once they finally have the boats and finish the lawsuits, it's a loving bore! They sail around doing tiny laps in an enclosed harbor and they skip days with bad weather.

God drat, if some rich fuckers are gonna have a prestigious sailboat race, make it a loving ocean voyage! Re-create the Tea Race and have a Fuzhou to London marathon. You could do that these days and have video for the whole thing on the internet. Imagine the ratings when one team hits a storm.

My friend is into sailing but did not mention the lawyer battles. Expand on that

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Klyith posted:

I feel like sailing is one race type where they could just have a whatever goes completely open race type that would be pretty safe.

Anyway the only acceptable motor sport to me is competitive plowing. (In before your mum!)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I spent a day on a racing yacht once. Watching whales near the Great Barrier Reef. It was pretty great. :unsmith:

The Bloop posted:

the human race seems pretty poo poo to me, if I'm being honest OP

I feel that race could also be improved with more drugs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

All racing sucks rear end.
I will watch literally any other sport

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do Formula E cars go "Boing Boing" as opposed to "Vroom Vroom"?

I think the argument was that electric motors don't make the same screeching nyyeERRRMMMmmmmm sound that "proper" Formula cars with internal combustion engines do.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Big Beef City posted:

All racing sucks rear end.
I will watch literally any other sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfvpKiKgFGk

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
i think racing in Mario Kart is ok

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ilmucche posted:

My friend is into sailing but did not mention the lawyer battles. Expand on that

Other sports and races, you have a league commissioner or FIFA or whatever who is in charge. If the NFL changes the Tuck Rule or FIFA changes the definition of offsides, and you don't like it, you can't sue to stop them. The courts would tell you to gently caress off, they're free to run their sport however they like. If you don't like it go make your own football league.

America's Cup is different. The ultimate authority isn't a commissioner or league, it's a legal deed. The guys who originally had the trophy gave it to the NY Yacht Club with a deed that set conditions for how to have a race, and that anyone who won the cup would have to defend it in future races. That deed is based in New York City, so if you think the current owner isn't following the deed you can sue them over it. The NY state court system is the final authority for the sport.

The deed dates from the 1800s. They knew about steam power so they made "propelled by sails only" explicit. But they didn't know about catamarans or hydrofoils or carbon fiber. So, uh, does a catamaran count as a "yacht"? Is a giant rigid carbon fiber wing-blade a "sail"? The original deed said that each side's boat had to "constructed" in their respective home countries, what does that mean in the modern world? Well, you could settle those questions like gentlemen with friendly handshake deals. Or you could drag your opponent into court.

(Actually they do manage to have the race with friendly terms most of the time, but that also makes it more boring -- if everyone agrees to sail the exact same design of boat, what's the point of a "built your own boat" challenge? The one thing that makes America's Cup cool is the history of extreme & crazy boats.)

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

I hate the Preakness Stakes. Horse racing is dumb anyway but at least the Kentucky Derby is an excuse to laugh at people in silly hats and drink whiskey in a slightly different way than usual.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
What if they do, or have, made Orc's tho

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Greg of Doom posted:

What if they do, or have, made Orc's tho

I would watch orc racing

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There's a lot of lame races but my favorite is probably Bathurst 1000. :australia:

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I think the argument was that electric motors don't make the same screeching nyyeERRRMMMmmmmm sound that "proper" Formula cars with internal combustion engines do.

Also, if that part was real, a car with a boost button powered by likes on social media doesn’t sound like a real car either

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Kender was pretty hosed.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

teardrop posted:

Also, if that part was real, a car with a boost button powered by likes on social media doesn’t sound like a real car either

It's right here

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/fanboost

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

They mentioned hydrofoils changing the game, all this sounds pretty wild. I love motorsport for the technical bullshitery that goes on and this stuff sounds like it's taken to the extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i dont like world of outlaws dirt track racing

i love it :stare: