Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't know why you'd bother buying a madden game when the perfect football game, mutant league football has existed for almost 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't know why you'd bother buying a madden game when the perfect football game, mutant league football Tecmo Bowl has existed for almost 30 years.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't know why you'd bother buying a madden game when the perfect football game, mutant league football has existed for almost 30 years.

They made a new mutant league football and I guess it wasn't very good. I did play the hell out of the original mutant league football. I always made it a mission to kill the refs. As an adult, I still hold this desire today.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

EA SPORTS: HE'S IN THE GRAVE

rack em

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Disco Pope posted:

:thurman:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

*whispers*
Cremate Everything

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Full Metal Jackass posted:

They made a new mutant league football and I guess it wasn't very good. I did play the hell out of the original mutant league football. I always made it a mission to kill the refs. As an adult, I still hold this desire today.

:hfive: :hellyeah:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Disco Pope posted:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Disco Pope posted:

:drat:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Big Beef City posted:

Because you and your mother are ignorant then, I guess it's a wash.

A person who personally advocated for flag football to keep children safe at a time when this was virtually non-existant and for more stringent safety rules in ALL levels of the game and was widely considered one of the kindest head coaches in the history of the game. You and your mother nailed it. Dipshit
You madden that there are people in the world who don't care about what you think his legacy is? Refer to the thread title. Also

Disco Pope posted:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Budzilla posted:

You madden that there are people in the world who don't care about what you think his legacy is? Refer to the thread title. Also

There are some things more important than video games.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thank him for his contribution as a game designer in the famous game World of Warcraft. Playing a Feral Druid was much funner after his work.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ah gently caress it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Weka posted:

That's actually pretty cool.
Uh, um, hand egg!
Football players have weird shaped balls!

Have head injuries become more prevalent again or is it more an increased understanding of head injuries that's behind what seems to me from under my rock an increase on media focus on it?

The game has become much safer.
Rules and equipment have evolved such as to prevent head trauma as much as possible.

They simply didn't have terms for/didn't understand the long lasting repercussions of players 'getting their bell rung' too many times until more recent years and so it became a much more obvious and publicized thing.

This isn't to say it isn't important or that playing football can't be dangerous, I'm not minimizing any of that, only that there are better safety protocols in place today, and the reason you hear so much about these former players is that they've only relatively recently been able to distinctly diagnose them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hector Delgado posted:

loving lol that BBC, who routinely barges into dead celebrity threads to tell everyone what a piece of poo poo the deceased is, is getting all :cry: over John Madden. Lmao

and?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Disco Pope posted:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Budzilla posted:

From a casual observer's perspective it looks like the NFL won out on that.

I do wonder how EA will pivot itself now. I hope they pivot to not making games anymore

Also Breaking Madden is funny too.

Just lol if you think John Madden’s estate is going to stop licensing his name. poo poo Tom Clancy died 8 years ago.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Rules and equipment have evolved such as to prevent head trauma as much as possible.

"It's ok now, the rules say you aren't allowed to get a concussion any more and the new helmets deflect nearly 5% of the force away from the spine!" :lmao: what a dogshit rationalization for watching poor kids commit suicide by sports.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Go watch your anime you bitch

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Big Beef City posted:

They simply didn't have terms for/didn't understand the long lasting repercussions of players 'getting their bell rung' too many times until more recent years and so it became a much more obvious and publicized thing.

A guy who played from 2010 to 2014 just murdered 6 people and killed himself earlier this year, because his brain was turned into cottage cheese. Lol. Much safer.

(OTOH Madden was on the right side of this, he told Goodell to his face on NFL's own TV network that their rear end-covering high-school "Heads Up" coaching program was a crock of poo poo.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i thought madden was already dead so i was surprised when i heard the snippet on the radio. 2onder if the local churches are going to go half mast

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You don't know what you're talking about and I acknowledged that playing football can still be dangerous AND that I wasn't minimizing these issues.

You just want to be mad about sports you stupid gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

John Madden's legacy is a real home run. He will be missed.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Madden was one of the few people in pro sports that everyone can agree on was a good dude. Except for that time he manhandled a turducken on live TV.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

I wasn't minimizing these issues.

Big Beef City posted:

:thunk:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yes both of those statements can be true.
The game is both much safer now than in the past. And it was unsafe in the past.
It can still be unsafe currently, but less so.
AND I can say those things without minimizing them.
I'm sorry you're loving stupid.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dying in the football field and dying from football related injuries after causing unmeasurable amounts of pain to others via uncontrolled emotional outbursts or physical violence: totally the same things.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It is for this reason I am glad that violent video game man Mr Madden can no longer inflict his sordid sociopathy on todays video game consumers.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Klyith posted:

A guy who played from 2010 to 2014 just murdered 6 people and killed himself earlier this year, because his brain was turned into cottage cheese. Lol. Much safer.
This is an outlier though.

Big Beef City's criticism of me gave me some self reflection and I decided to look up (on the internet) some stuff he claimed that Madden did. From what I could find (even with the recent deluge of articles praising the big man) Madden was on a player safety board during the past 10 years but he didn't seem like an outspoken crusader for player safety or minority integration as BBC said. He was for it but not at the forefront. When I read his hall of fame speech there was a passing mention of minority integration into American football by Al Davis, the guy who introduced him. By all accounts though John Madden seems like a cool dude and I wish I could achieve as much in my life as he did in a year.

In the meantime; I will make BBC proud and purchase on Ebay a Dreamcast and a copy of Blitz 2k and call all my players "Braindead" while I think of a game that mocked contact sport injuries.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Free BBC. Posting about sports in GBS is akin to taking a helmet to helmet tackle.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Now John Madden will finally be able to collaborate with fellow game designer Tom Clancy. Am eagerly awaiting the Ghost Recon crossover where elite tier one operators need to penetrate the end zone and extract the ball.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Oh I thought it was cute. I bet you're a cutie too :lovebird:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All that tough actin' Tinactin will keep his body perfectly preserved as it was in life for thousands of generations

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

All that tough actin' Tinactin will keep his body perfectly preserved as it was in life for thousands of generations

star qbs will make the pilgrimage to oakland each year and say a cheer to the perfectly preserved body for luck

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Hell yea! A thread where BBC's presence improves it's entertainment value!

:munch:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
EA Jorts

They're cut off jeans

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Madden was one of the few people in pro sports that everyone can agree on was a good dude. Except for that time he manhandled a turducken on live TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsAuIsn3Kw4

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Now thats a touchdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Lol that's it. I'm just imagining this is the way Madden would plate and serve all his meals to his guests. Need some mashed potatoes? Maddens gonna grab a glob and throw it down on your plate.