Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kecske posted:

drat you're right, it was gus johnson

Instead Madden used to say guys who went to the sideline to rest went for a blow.

RIP champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Budzilla posted:

This is an outlier though.

Big Beef City's criticism of me gave me some self reflection and I decided to look up (on the internet) some stuff he claimed that Madden did. From what I could find (even with the recent deluge of articles praising the big man) Madden was on a player safety board during the past 10 years but he didn't seem like an outspoken crusader for player safety or minority integration as BBC said. He was for it but not at the forefront. When I read his hall of fame speech there was a passing mention of minority integration into American football by Al Davis, the guy who introduced him. By all accounts though John Madden seems like a cool dude and I wish I could achieve as much in my life as he did in a year.

In the meantime; I will make BBC proud and purchase on Ebay a Dreamcast and a copy of Blitz 2k and call all my players "Braindead" while I think of a game that mocked contact sport injuries.
John Madden's Raiders were noticeably more integrated but also their success was at least partly because they were super physical and other teams were scared of getting their block knocked off. They set the pace for NFL for the 80s as a meatgrinder until player safety finally reared its head in the 90s.

The documentary didn't even try to white wash All Madden, quoting him as saying poo poo like All Madden linemen play through injuries and spend all their time hitting the ground. Good for him for joining the player safety council at least.

John Madden is truly a land of contrast. He was chill as gently caress and genuinely enthusiastic about the game and helping people enjoy it. His ignorance of player safety is disappointing but contemporaneously normal. RIP in peace to a real one.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Big Beef City posted:

You don't know what you're talking about and I acknowledged that playing football can still be dangerous AND that I wasn't minimizing these issues.

You just want to be mad about sports you stupid gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

So mad about sports

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

He wasn't wrong

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah it was a bs probe

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

John Madden kissed every player on the helmet before they went on the field

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
If a player got their "bell rung" John Madden would personally perform a concussion examination. If he wasn't pleased with the results he would make the player sit out the rest of the game.

He acquired multiple human brains and on live TV would discuss the affects of concussions and CTE. This usually occurred during timeouts.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Lol that's it. I'm just imagining this is the way Madden would plate and serve all his meals to his guests. Need some mashed potatoes? Maddens gonna grab a glob and throw it down on your plate.

my favorite part is how he fuckin puts his hand on it like he's gonna slice it, then just loving rips it apart like he can't loving help himself while Al Michaels stands there laughing into his mic trying to not say, "holy fuckin poo poo"

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

John Madden invented the giant round bubble suit as a way to combat concussions in the game of football. It was ultimately rejected by the league. Thankfully he didn't go bankrupt because it became popular amongst the public for novelty sport/activity and is still sold today from a variety of manufacturers.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’m glad I played a safe sport like baseball where I only occasionally caught a 90 mph fastball to the head or genitals.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
John Madden invented an entirely safe way of playing the "art" of football "electronically" from the player's own home. The name of this company?

Temco.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1476254122538160135?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

https://youtu.be/_138p6uzhUk