Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm here for the tough actin' tinactin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
John Madden commercials were a huge part of my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ11QN1jAGE

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

General Dog posted:

I wonder if John Madden ever picked up a controller or keyboard and personally played Madden

Netflix series High Score shows John Madden playing the game in episode 4, in a video

He's actually playing the game and comments on it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

b mad at me posted:

Netflix series High Score shows John Madden playing the game in episode 4, in a video

Later in life Madden would Ask Madden and Madden would tell Madden what Madden would do and Madden would follow Madden's advice to a maddening degree.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
John Madden personally coded the Madden Ultimate Team booster pack algorithm.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
extremely adorable banner ad, whoever bought that for this thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

extremely adorable banner ad, whoever bought that for this thread.

Agreed it is great. If you haven't seen it:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

John Madden.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

holla holla get dolla

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Agreed it is great. If you haven't seen it:

This is p. great.

I thank Madden for helping me semi-intelligent conversations about football since the early 90s. It's actually fairly important for someone growing up in the South to not sound like a complete moron when people start talking about football and I probably wouldn't have learned a drat thing before college without Madden football.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

tadashi posted:

This is p. great.

I thank Madden for helping me semi-intelligent conversations about football since the early 90s. It's actually fairly important for someone growing up in the South to not sound like a complete moron when people start talking about football and I probably wouldn't have learned a drat thing before college without Madden football.

I'm with you on that. I grew up watching football with my family and while I learned the basic rules and what not, it wasn't until John Madden came along that taught me actual strategy and blocking schemes and more advanced tactics of the game, and I thank him for that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

b mad at me posted:

he was very involved in the development of early madden games. he refused to put his name on a football game that wasn't "real" football, with 11 players, accurate rules, the ability to call realistic plays, and so on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

he was very involved in the development of early madden games. he refused to put his name on a football game that wasn't "real" football, with 11 players, accurate rules, the ability to call realistic plays, and so on.

Yeah, he could play the early PC ones, and even the Genesis era. Then the PlayStation / N64 era came around and he stopped, because the controls had become too complicated.

This is a man who had to be helped by Troy Aikman, of all people, to get to understand how to use his cell phone and send text messages.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Vertical Lime posted:

the ringer reminded me about this article

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1476264733917413378

the section about madden being a free agent after cbs lost the nfc shows how big he was

I can't stress enough how cool this article is if you're at all interested in the business side of sports media.

Also still RIP to a legend among legends.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

For no reason at all, I remembered his Outback bloomin onion commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li3ZDYWTzz0

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Timby posted:

Yeah, he could play the early PC ones, and even the Genesis era. Then the PlayStation / N64 era came around and he stopped, because the controls had become too complicated.

This is a man who had to be helped by Troy Aikman, of all people, to get to understand how to use his cell phone and send text messages.

Yea, but he could still draw circles around bucket(head)s like Aikman

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Timby posted:

Then the XBox 360/PS3 era came around and the controls became too complicated for me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Tom Brady didn’t want to play football in a world without John Madden. Respect.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

active players who were playing when john madden called his final game:

Mr. Nice!
adrian peterson
aaron rodgers
desean jackson
matt ryan
clark harris
other longsnappers
,kicker
o-line
Sam Koch
Andy Lee

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 29, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

active players who were playing when john madden called his final game:

larry fitzgerald
adrian peterson
aaron rodgers
desean jackson
matt ryan
clark harris
other longsnappers
,kicker
o-line
Sam Koch
Andy Lee

Larry is retired. I don't know that he ever formally "retired," but he hasn't played since 2020 and told the Mannings he was retired when he was on MNF a few weeks ago.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vertical Lime posted:

the ringer reminded me about this article

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1476264733917413378

the section about madden being a free agent after cbs lost the nfc shows how big he was

Thanks for posting and boosting this article. It was a really good read.

Also I never thought about how the NFC was more valuable in terms of built-in broadcast viewers--it definitely had the bigger metros.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Hed posted:

Thanks for posting and boosting this article. It was a really good read.

Also I never thought about how the NFC was more valuable in terms of built-in broadcast viewers--it definitely had the bigger metros.

i always loved how there was a big affiliate shuffle after fox got football, even in markets where fox didn't change stations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%931996_United_States_broadcast_television_realignment

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Larry is retired. I don't know that he ever formally "retired," but he hasn't played since 2020 and told the Mannings he was retired when he was on MNF a few weeks ago.

direspecting the list....

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Vertical Lime posted:

i always loved how there was a big affiliate shuffle after fox got football, even in markets where fox didn't change stations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%931996_United_States_broadcast_television_realignment

The article reminds me of how little MLB is on regular TV. During the season you can watch an NFL game three days a week and you have a pretty shot at watching your team. MLB? If was ever a game was on a regular network I don't remember seeing it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth Brooks posted:

The article reminds me of how little MLB is on regular TV. During the season you can watch an NFL game three days a week and you have a pretty shot at watching your team. MLB? If was ever a game was on a regular network I don't remember seeing it.

Pretty much everything except the Fox national baseball games is now locked to the teams' own individual sports networks. Those dominoes started falling when the Yankees started the YES Network literally 20 years ago. Hell, even most of the playoffs are locked to cable, with a few exceptions that wind up on Fox or ABC and the World Series being on Fox.

It amazes me how incredibly adept MLB is at complaining that they aren't getting enough traction in the average sports consumer's mind, and then they do poo poo like going all-in on the RSNs. It's the equivalent of pounding a nail into your foot with a hammer and screaming for all to see that you're being assaulted.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Vertical Lime posted:

This is something that deeply fascinates me, and I'm gonna post some words on it later

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Timby posted:

Pretty much everything except the Fox national baseball games is now locked to the teams' own individual sports networks. Those dominoes started falling when the Yankees started the YES Network literally 20 years ago. Hell, even most of the playoffs are locked to cable, with a few exceptions that wind up on Fox or ABC and the World Series being on Fox.

It amazes me how incredibly adept MLB is at complaining that they aren't getting enough traction in the average sports consumer's mind, and then they do poo poo like going all-in on the RSNs. It's the equivalent of pounding a nail into your foot with a hammer and screaming for all to see that you're being assaulted.

This too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

Isn’t this true of all other sports besides football? Basketball and hockey are usually relegated to the local RSNs with a few national games a week.