Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
I really want to talk about this so please indulge me.

Have you ever used it?

Are you aware it is the most popular thing online, even beating Google?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59768617

I have used it and I believe this is where everyone is now.

It is however also the most dangerous thing to ever happen to the world as we know it.

Anybody up for a chat about it?

If not, here is a photo of Columbo so that you didn't waste your time in clicking this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Sure OP, hit me with why you think Tik Tok is horrifying and dangerous.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i don't wanna think about it

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

A piece of state sponsored Chinese malware is the most popular online thing ever? Sound about right.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Padical posted:

Sure OP, hit me with why you think Tik Tok is horrifying and dangerous.

Okay Padical, thanks for replying, here is my hot take.

Imagine being on your phone, seeing videos that are less than one minute long, you just need to swipe up to see the next, an algorithm is learning everything you view so if you spend 12 seconds on a gambling video and 6 seconds on a skateboarding video, you will now see more gambling videos.

Given that on average you swipe every ten seconds, how many videos are you seeing in an hour?

You have the option to view comments, but probably won't, so you are just looking at OP videos, constantly, and you settle into a vibe of this content is tailored for me, so what if I throw in a violence video?

Then you watch it for 13 seconds, then get nothing but violence videos?

And you keep swiping and seeing more, and more, and more.

It is hard to explain but install it for just one hour, see what it shows you based on your swipes.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Mines stuck on titties. It’s like it knows me

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Mines stuck on titties. It’s like it knows me

When I first used it I got nothing but girls, then they became Sopranos clips.

What did the Chinese mean by this?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
The guys I work with are 100% absolutely MAGA Chuds who get everything they know about the Pandemic, President Donald Trump's stolen election and Black Lives Matter from TikTok.

There should be some way to restrict the amount of time Boomers and GenXers are allowed on it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
TikTok isn't even nearly horrifying or cynical enough to be the final phase of the internet.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Vine was so much better than TikTok could ever hope to be

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vine was so much better than TikTok could ever hope to be

Why did Vine fail?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

WhyZodiac posted:

When I first used it I got nothing but girls, then they became Sopranos clips.

What did the Chinese mean by this?

girls
gals
goyles
gouls
Gabagool

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Noblesse Obliged posted:

girls
gals
goyles
gouls
Gabagool

Salvatore Bonpensiero

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

i tried to use it once but i didn't know what to search for. you can't search for 'good videos'. it doesn't work.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

I remember like 5 years ago my boss telling me about this hilarious app called tik tok. Then he showed me a video of him except some bullshit by kevin hart was dubbed over it. I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.

I've never installed it, but I've seen my girlfriend completely lose a few hours to the stupid app. I get there are some genuinely funny/interesting videos on there, but just like youtube its 99% trash.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

WhyZodiac posted:

Why did Vine fail?

Just a wild guess But I always felt like the technology played some part. Like, smartphone / camera tech got way better so everything looks smoother with better sound while Vines look like hot garbage.

Also, the monetisation (as in the potential to monetize content created by idiots) probably?

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

WhyZodiac posted:

Okay Padical, thanks for replying, here is my hot take.

Imagine being on your phone, seeing videos that are less than one minute long, you just need to swipe up to see the next, an algorithm is learning everything you view so if you spend 12 seconds on a gambling video and 6 seconds on a skateboarding video, you will now see more gambling videos.

Given that on average you swipe every ten seconds, how many videos are you seeing in an hour?

You have the option to view comments, but probably won't, so you are just looking at OP videos, constantly, and you settle into a vibe of this content is tailored for me, so what if I throw in a violence video?

Then you watch it for 13 seconds, then get nothing but violence videos?

And you keep swiping and seeing more, and more, and more.

It is hard to explain but install it for just one hour, see what it shows you based on your swipes.

This is correct. Let me see if I get where you are going with this.

I used it for a few weeks as my friend at the time wanted to swap cute animal videos and was sending me ghost stories. The app hit me with these, but also tested the waters with me with both side's videos about the pandemic, but quickly figured out somehow that I only liked videos of anti-vaxxers getting dunked on.

Very soon I had no animal videos at all and only videos about why chuds are dumb and a few ghost stories.

My experience showed me that this app delivers an accelerated version of the echo-chamber Facebook timeline with far more reach, saturation and speed (as you mentioned already about the speed of the videos and how long people sit on the app for).

Society has been caught off-guard by social media and has nowhere near the media literacy to be able to healthily react to this type of social media, and thus is doomed to become even more politically stratified as we are all presented with worldviews that seem to be absolute truths, but are actually just tailored to our current worldview by a sophisticated algorithm. In turn, we will continue seeing people with opposing worldviews as idiots at best, and maniacs bent on destroying our lives at worst.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

WhyZodiac posted:

Why did Vine fail?

Ah here we go. From Wikipedia:

quote:

On October 27, 2016, Vine announced that Twitter would be discontinuing the Vine mobile app. Vine said users of the service would be notified before any changes to the app or website were made. The company also stated that the website and the app would still be available for users to view and download Vines; however, users would no longer be able to post.[23]

The discontinuation of Vine came as many different competing platforms began to introduce their own equivalents to Vine's short-form video approach. Platforms such as Instagram began to introduce their own takes on the short video angle, such as Instagram Video, where users were able to upload 15-second videos to their profiles.

Marketers leaving the platform was also a large part of the decision by Twitter to discontinue Vine. Many monetary sources began to move to longer short video platforms, and with them followed many popular Vine creators. Since the start of 2016, more than half of Vine users with more than 15,000 followers had ceased uploading or had deleted their accounts to move on to other platforms such as YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat.[24] Vine executives and co founders were supposedly against monetization and did not take money from many brands, which is said to have led to Twitter's discontinuation of the service.[25]

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

It's wild that TikTok (or the old name, Musical.ly) was basically a karaoke app with video and now it's the literally biggest social media app infested by chuds, clout chasers and five thousand zoomer "chefs" cooking steak wrong

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Someone (obvs not me) should repost that TikTok of the girl doing the silent dance about her baby going on the respirator.

EDIT: ugh gently caress Youtube I was trying to find this woman and it linked me to a Matt Walsh video

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 29, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm not reading this op, unless op makes it into an easily digestible video meme

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leeP6LgM8H0

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Someone (obvs not me) should repost that TikTok of the girl doing the silent dance about her baby going on the respirator.

Goddamn, that was just insane (I don't have the app but regardless it gets posted everywhere) and I was like :stare:, couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think another lady did the same with her son on respirator (for asthma I think). Jesus

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
My coworker will lose hours watching videos of trashy nobodies rapping to their phones tells me its "cringe" and tries to show me like i'm supposed to give a poo poo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WhyZodiac posted:

It is hard to explain but install it

No.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

WhyZodiac posted:

Have you ever used it?
No.

quote:

Are you aware it is the most popular thing online, even beating Google?
I am barely aware that it exists.

I think I have the baseline. It's, like, very short videos, right? Beyond that, no clue.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why didn't president turmp ban tiktok? he promised he would.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Galewolf posted:

Goddamn, that was just insane (I don't have the app but regardless it gets posted everywhere) and I was like :stare:, couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think another lady did the same with her son on respirator (for asthma I think). Jesus

I've been on the bad side of the internet for 20+ years and yeah :stare: I've never really seen anything like that. Its so practiced and there's no music. Just a silent grinning mother dancing for the camera to express how sick her newborn is.

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
My uncle was a cop in the early 2000s and he was the first responder to a 911 call where a baby drowned. The mom put the baby in the tub, went to play some Facebook game, and didn't check on the kid. He reported that she kept trying to go back to her computer while they were interviewing her.

Anyways tik tok has provided me with a lifetime supply of hot dancing moms and for that I salute the Chinese government

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Chief McHeath posted:

I'm not reading this op, unless op makes it into an easily digestible video meme

http://i.imgur.com/g7yVJWt.mp4

Enable sound for the full tiktok experience.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao its not the final phase. this dystopian reality is just getting started bro.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Everything on the internet seems so drastic and dark and important, until you get off the internet and go to the pub and then you realise its not a big deal

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i dont have tiktok but i have experienced it through facebook now that facebook has started pushing tiktoks onto timelines. sometimes its something cute, like a baby doing some cute poo poo, or someone telling me interesting things about their weird job, and then the next thing i know im seeing a shakey cam video of a woman screaming in agony as her foot is crushed on a roller coaster. the whiplash really shook me and its still on my mind a week later, it really put me off anything tik tok related and also facebook. welp thats my tik tok story

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

kntfkr posted:

i don't wanna tik-talk about it

ftfy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

scott zoloft posted:

My coworker will lose hours watching videos of trashy nobodies rapping to their phones tells me its "cringe" and tries to show me like i'm supposed to give a poo poo

spike their phone and yell touchdown

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I agree op https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7038356517594090758

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
Y'all are seeing titties on TikTok? All I'm getting is videos on magic the gathering cards and dudes talking about history. Most of them are a whole minute long some are using the 3 minutes feature.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
All I wanna know is how to monetise my refusal to use any social media platforms.

(edit) iow being old.

huh fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 29, 2021

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welp realplayer uses flesh beat off of children to operate and you can’t put butts and weiners on YouTube so.. :feart:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I'm pretty tolerant of internet garbage but Tik Tok videos feel like little prions destroying your brain, one right after the other