Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

It's a modern game, who the hell needs bigs
at least until Shaq, Timmy, Kareem etc. start showing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Wilt the Stilt would like a word.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Or, if a team wanted to go a different way, there's talent at the point--scouts are particularly high on a fascinating young prospect out of Brazil, and many believe he would be the fastest player in the league right now, despite his juvenile conditioning.
I was trying to think off the top of my head who this might be, but everybody I could think of were either (a) big men like Nene, Varejao, Tiago Splitter, etc or (b) wait no he's not actually from Brazil. So I looked it up and it's not a coincidence that I mostly thought of big men, because of the 18 players from Brazil who played in the NBA, there's two explicitly listed at point guard and two more who were just generic "guard", so Brazil certainly has been more forward/center focused in terms of NBA players.

The obvious guess would be Leandro Barbarosa who's far and away the best guard from Brazil, but we'll see.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

In a reversal of fortune we get to answer the question "What if Pele played basketball?"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Moktaro posted:

In a reversal of fortune we get to answer the question "What if Pele played basketball?"

subscribe

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Noted. Adding Pele to my list of Easter Eggs

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Oh god, what have I done. :ohdear:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Here you can watch Pele lose to Wayne Gretzky is a 50m sprint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0S6tJkEKH8

Despite the title saying 100m, there is no way that is actually 100m

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I've been trying to see how poorly I can run a team - very poorly, it turns out. I'm not renewing any contract above the minimum except for draft picks, who for some reason won't re-sign with me. I just finished a 16-66 season but the owner was OK because I made a ton of money by not actually spending on players. For some reason it's been very entertaining.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I've been trying to see how poorly I can run a team - very poorly, it turns out. I'm not renewing any contract above the minimum except for draft picks, who for some reason won't re-sign with me. I just finished a 16-66 season but the owner was OK because I made a ton of money by not actually spending on players. For some reason it's been very entertaining.

"What if the Pittsburgh Pirates played basketball" does sound oddly compelling

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
:myballs: Offseason for 2023 :myballs:

The draft lottery commences. There's less pressure on the Pipers to get the #1 pick, although it is still secured. Consensus going into the draft is that the top two prospects are pretty interchangeable. Maybe even the top 3.

The actual draft class looks a little like this.

Dwayne Bacon is an active player. He's currently an uninspiring starter for the Orlando Magic.
Leandro Barbosa, the Brazillian Blur is indeed the guard I teased at. He is a one time NBA champion and one time sixth man of the year. I really liked this guy when he played for real. Those doughnut Suns were one of my favorite teams.
Brent Barry, likely to be picked first overall, is a two time NBA champion and was an all-rookie selection. Another player I quite like. As he turned into a spot up shooter, it's hard sometimes to remember that this guy used to be a good ball handler and a pretty sick athlete. He's a former dunk contest winner.
Byron Beck is a 2 time all star.
Richard Dumas is the younger one. His father Rich Dumas also played professional ball.
Bob Harrison is a three time NBA champion and a one time all star.
Cedric Henderson made the real world all-rookie team in his first year
Caris LeVert is an active NBA player and is a pretty drat solid, B-list type starter that I would be happy to have on my team. Not an all-star, but pretty clearly above average.
:frogsiren: Šarūnas Marčiulionis :frogsiren: is in the hall of fame, but for his great international career. Here, he'll be joining the NBA quite early, so he has more potential to pop off early.
Aaron McKie is a one time sixth man of the year that I swear for some weird reason feels like he had a better career than he did. I guess I just like his name or something.
George Patsushok was an original NBA player.
Jordan Poole is a currently active NBA player, and god drat did BasketballGM do him dirty. He's probably the most undervalued player I've seen in the database so far. He's about as crazy underrated as Sekou Doumbouya is crazy overrated. One of these two is starting for a high-seeded playoff team, one of these players is DNP for a floundering fringe playoff team. He's not great, but he's been pretty drat solid in his third year, and he's almost literally (maybe actually literally?) the worst starting OVR I've seen in this game.
"Truck" Robinson is a two time all-star, one time all-NBA player, and once led the league in rebounding. I'm pretty sure he's also grossly underrated here, but that might just be the modern game devaluing his skill set a little.
Dennis Schroder is an active NBA player that is a solid if unspectacular guard.
God Shammgod is a first ballot hall-of-name player. Between coming into the league younger, and there not being very many good point guards, he hopefully has a better career.
Jerry Stackhouse is a two time all star and was on the all-rookie team. Spoiler alert, after the off-season development kicks in, he's easily the fastest person in the league after the draft.
Bob Verga is a one time all star and one time all-ABA player
and finally, Willie Wise, is a three time all-star, a one time ABA champion, a two time all-ABA selection, a two time all-defensive selection, made the all-rookie team, and was named one of the greatest ABA players of all time.

The actual draft shook out like this. Not a lot to say here. The league is so wing-heavy, I'm not sure how much the top three picks actually move the needle for a bad team, for all that all three should probably be starters immediately. It will be interesting to see what the simulation does with Barbosa playing as a more traditional point guard. My money is on Stack getting the RotY, but I've seen the development (and will include it later on in this post.)

Free Agency

As before, the free agency will also include moves made during the previous regular season. Anything below draft picks is repeat information. Also, it's apparent that the AI signs way too many free agents. A number of teams are going to have to release quite a few players once the season properly starts.

Chicago Bulls

Chicago landing Barbosa is pretty miserable, since they're one of the few teams in the league that probably don't need a point guard. Hell, even San Antonio could use a capable backup to Chris Paul. Nevertheless, he's instantly the best player on this sorry squad, but hey, at least Giff Roux is developing.

Boston Celtics

Boston gets some good luck here, as the already highly rated prospect Jerry Stackhouse rolls good in development and looks even better. The excellent Celtic scouts also get some laughs as the previously undrafted Tom Brennan continues to make strong development gains; he might even start this season.

Los Angeles Clippers'

That is a monstrous leap for, of all people, Robert Swift, who also plays a position that most of the league struggles with. Zoran Planinic looks less like an all-star by the day.

Kentucky Colonels

Willie Wise looks like the steal of the draft. Pretty glad the RNG shook out that way, he's the only guy I bolded on the preview for a reason. Otherwise, this looks like a very strong team that is still incrementally improving.

San Diego Conquistadors

The Conquistadors manage some huge gains in their rotational pieces, including a somewhat vindicating monster gain from Jordan Pool, who they signed as a free agent. This strategy is so weird to me, because they're paying him way more than they would have had to had someone selected him in the second round of the draft. Nonetheless, San Diego's actual second round pick was quite high, and also looks way better than the consensus thought.

Miami Heat

Miami's star player takes a teensy step backward, but it's probably made up for by nearly their entire rotation making some tremendous gains. This was already a scary team, remember.

Kansas City Kings

Kansas City manages to lock up all of their big 3 players, and their bench sharpshooter, though Broekhoff is looking washed in the (nonexistent, imaginary) exhibition games. There's flashes that Al Horford is looking to take this team over, and also talk about Jack Turner looking to turn this into a big 4.

Los Angeles Lakers

No one expects the Miracle Lakers to repeat; most of their team looks a little burned out from last year's improbable run to the trophy. As a bit of a bright spot, Aaron McKie looks better than advertised. The Laker draft scouts continue to impress.

Orlando Magic

Orlando is still a pretty elite team. The best news for them, aside from a general bench improvement, is that Red Robbins is looking pretty perked up from last season, and looks to play more like his inaugural season self. With him, Yi, and Marques Johnson playing defense, scoring on the interior against the Magic is something of a nightmare.

Las Vegas Neon

Fly Williams continues to get better and better, and he's going to need to be, as the Neon are the closest a team came to taking a step backward, just eyeballing things. Sharpshooter Theo Pinson looks like he made an unexpected leap in development.

New Orleans Pelicans

A team can't ask for much more than getting their development out of their core players. There's chatter that Pete Cross might actually start to look like his contract.

Pittsburgh Pipers

Pittsburgh takes a huge gamble in free agency on the unproven talent of Devin Vassell, and the early exhibition games indicate this might pay off, as Vassell looked like one of the best players on the floor. Brent Barry maybe looks a little worse than advertised, but not overwhelmingly so. More importantly, most of Pittsburgh's team looks better than before. Oyedeji sports the highest OVR gain in the offseason. They're looking to finally shake off that Sewer Pipers nickname.

Seattle Supersonics

See what I mean? loving look at those excessive free agency signings. What is this nonsense? They're absolutely going to release some of the players they signed to contracts in the same off-season, and that's just silly. Some of their young players took some pretty incredible leaps, but who the hell knows if they'll actually keep any of the ones that did.

San Antonio Spurs

In the context of this simulation, that Tracy McGrady contract looks like a bit of an overpay--this is a team that must make sure it has the money to re-sign Chris Paul when the time comes. Paul is a fairly significant step ahead of everyone in the league, at least by OVR, and his potential is downright insane. I suspect Scola and Havlicek will actually be the best players on this team after Paul, but it's funny that a team with all this real-life talent has a second best OVR player of PJ Tucker.

Phoenix Suns

The Suns have been organically grooming a young star in Skal Labissiere, and really, if you're going to do it, he plays the right positions to make that investment worthwhile. Can he anchor a whole team, though? It remains to be seen.

Golden State Warriors

That is the most :effort: offseason, and it looks like it'll be an :effort: regular season, with the team looking as lackadaisical on the court as their front office does.

Frivolities

Here are the top free agents available. Keep in mind this is subject to change as quite a lot of players are going to be released on day 1. I can't believe Pooh Jeter didn't get signed, as he's consistently shown himself to be one of the more effective point guards in this league.

The power rankings backs up my suspicion that the Lakers have a snowball's chance in hell of repeating. San Diego sits at the top, but for my money, Chris Paul is so much better than everyone else, I kind of don't take anyone else in the west seriously at all. I personally see the top teams as San Antonio, Kansas City, and Orlando, just like I did in season 1. Miami is probably right there too---they casually dominated last year's regular season and all their role players made some significant looking gains.

Season Preview

Already a top 10 player, Jerry Stackhouse seems like a sure bet for Rookie of the Year. Chris Paul is, terrifyingly, listed as second in the "improving players" category. He was last season's MVP and an MIP candidate already. How good is he going to get? My money is on Devin Vassell taking the actual MIP honors, as he's now going to be the focal point of his own team and made a pretty significant leap. And of course, the team that he joined was the absolute bottom-feeders of last season. No teams are on paper worse than the preceding year---we're starting to see talent flood the league.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

"Jerry Stackhouse, Boston Celtic" just feels... great but also wrong in so many ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I got a basketball jones...