Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Grizzwold posted:

The brass section doesn’t gently caress around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Welcome to the Battleship Super Bowl! 100% more Special Treatment Steel, 100% less Snoop Dogg! (no offense to Snoop Dogg)

Our undercard fight is one of the best on-paper matchups of the tournament: USS South Dakota versus Richelieu. They took varied routes to get here: Rich fighting in a couple of the tournament's best and closest matches, while SoDak just smashed everything until coming up against her bigger sister. These two ships represent the absolute best of the treaty-influenced battleships, and so I think it appropriate to crown the winner of this fight Middleweight Battleship Champion of the World!

Rich is faster, has a meaningfully thicker belt, and has shown absolutely incredible accuracy and precision with her very tightly-grouped main battery. SoDak is tough as all hell, and the superheavy 16" shells she slings are absolutely no joke. This is pretty close to a coinflip for me, but I'm going to predict SoDak slugs it out thanks to the insane performance of her guns and ammo.

SoDak shows us her guns.

Rich looks quietly confident.

Rich does her thing, scoring a hit at 29.7km that gets through SoDak's deck in a very dangerous spot.

Rich does the S-turn thing we saw from Iowa earlier. It throws off SoDak's aim, but also affects her gunnery.

Rich's long-range gunnery is brilliant as always. She gets through SoDak's rear belt and damages her steering. She hits SoDak 16 times outside of 25km.

SoDak maanges only a few long-range hits, but gets one deep into Rich's engineering spaces. Those superheavy shells do a lot of damage.

One of the interesting things about Rich is how tight her salvoes are. I tried to illustrate this here: you can see, if she hits with one shell, she usually hits with a couple. The two ships are now at about 16km, and she's ripping SoDak apart.

SoDak's belt is perforated and her engines are seriously damaged. She's cut to around 20 kts, and is struggling to get hits.

But when she does, it is incredibly nasty. She punches through Rich amidships and causes serious flooding.

SoDak is treated very roughly. Rich's midrange gunnery is brutally effective, and SoDak loses virtually all of her engine power. Speed is very important -- the slower you are, the easier you are to hit. SoDak is now only able to make about 6 kts.

Even as she's crawling along though, SoDak still lands serious shots. She hasn't hit Rich very much, but the hits she has landed are causing significant damage. Her guns and fire control are still working well, so even though she's reduced to a crawl, she's still very dangerous.

We enter the phase of the battle where the American Ship Just Will Not Go Down. SoDak has some tubaship DNA in her, and despite the crushing damage to her engineering spaces, she keeps fighting.

One big shot brings this fight almost back to the level: Rich loses most of her engines to a midsection hit. Now we just have a couple of hulks firing at near-stationary targets at a range of about 10km.

It looked for a few minutes like SoDak was actually going to pull this thing out...she landed several huge hits right after crippling Rich, and seriously closed the gap in a big hurry. In the end though, Rich put a couple of well-placed salvoes into SoDak and broke her apart before SoDak could land the killer blow.

Rich getting into SoDak's engines decided this one. SoDak got very slow very quickly, and that made her a much easier target for Rich's tightly grouped salvoes. The big difference was pretty basic: Rich was able to get through SoDak's belt and damage critical systems.

And so, we crown the Middleweight Champion, the French battleship Richelieu!

For me, Rich is one of the most underappreciated ships of her era. She was a compromise design, but her compromises were brilliant, and in some ways even contributed to how well she did in the tournament. She's also very pretty, and might hold the record for Most Major Combatants Fought Against (she traded metal with the UK, US, Germany, and Japan).

All around, a great ship.

Iowa and Yamato wait in the tunnel....

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Bravo for France taking home the bronze! Definitely a fine showing for her throughout the tournament. :france:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3BHyOhVXmE

Congratulations to the Rich! She's really won me over as a bote.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Tight gunnery won the day for Richie. I hope that bodes well for the Iowa against the less accurate but harder hitting Yamato.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Was Richeliu's historical gunnery that good, or is it a game thing?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
After they finally identified and fixed the problem with the shells interfering with each other mid flight, yes, pretty much. I suspect the game doesn't model that problem at all for quad turrets though.

The 15" ammo the US built for her was basically the 15" equivalent of the 16" superheavy, and very, very good.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Vive la France!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
:france: Magnificent!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:france: o7

didn't know that rich was really that great a ship!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Bravo to Richie Lulu.

Boo to the tubaships showing us where North Carolina learned it from. (Good fight 'till then though)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Gonna lmao extremely hard if Iowa does it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pharnakes posted:

After they finally identified and fixed the problem with the shells interfering with each other mid flight, yes, pretty much. I suspect the game doesn't model that problem at all for quad turrets though.

The 15" ammo the US built for her was basically the 15" equivalent of the 16" superheavy, and very, very good.

it kind of does in that early quad turrets have accuracy penalties, but then again so do early triples etc.

I think there are some issues with topside damage modeling in that ships are incredibly likely to lose their captains at a rate that does not seem historically accurate

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it kind of does in that early quad turrets have accuracy penalties, but then again so do early triples etc.

I think there are some issues with topside damage modeling in that ships are incredibly likely to lose their captains at a rate that does not seem historically accurate

Personally I think it's more that losing their captains/bridge in the game does a lot more damage to the ship's capabilities than it does in real life. Battleship or hell, cruiser actions weren't very common but when ships did go down swinging there were usually stories about the bridge getting blow apart and the captains dying and yet the other parts of the ship still fighting like hell until they sank.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

LOL, can't believe North Carolina once again brings shame on the American Navy through supreme cowardice, and drags two other ships into the mud with her. Truly cursed.

also Vive la France!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

LOL, can't believe North Carolina once again brings shame on the American Navy through supreme cowardice, and drags two other ships into the mud with her. Truly cursed.

Oh FFS I only now noticed she features in that battle.

We need a Kitakami Cauldron of Doom, stat.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alright everyone. No further discussion is necessary. Iowa. Yamato. Winner take all.

If you're interested in a live broadcast instead of pictures in the paper the next day, here you go.. I'm not a professional video person or streamer, so temper expectations of the quality.

Someday I will be a museum. But not yet. Not yet.

She's the favorite for a reason.

This literally surprised me. On either her first or second salvo, and at a range of 34.1km, Yamato puts a round through Iowa's forward deck. New record for longest shot, and one that will not likely be broken.

Iowa responds in kind a few minutes later. She's able to punch through parts of Yamato at this range.

Yamato's long range fire is really excellent. This is about as close to hitting a thing -- and not hitting it -- as I think you can reasonably get.

Both ships are doing damage at long range. Iowa is hitting slightly more frequently, and doing slightly more damage.

Yamato is the one doing the evasion dance this time. She tries to keep the range pretty extreme -- she fights a retreating battle to keep Iowa out past 30km.

After what seems like a LONG time at long range, Yamato finally makes the big right turn in, and the range closes rapidly. Iowa starts landing hits on Yamato's belt, that do little damage.

Lots of hits.

Iowa has taken a lot of hits, but hasn't suffered any serious damage yet. I think this is somewhat up to luck -- Yamato has gone through her belt a handful of times.

Half a second after that picture was taken, Iowa's #2 turret is damaged. It is still firing, but is degraded.

Yamato finally suffers some serious damage -- she's fighting a retreating fight (again) and Iowa is just absolutely hammering on her rear end. She's suffering flooding, and her rudder is either seriously damaged or destroyed.

Yamato's behind takes more fire. It isn't damaging critical parts, but it is affecting her speed, flotation, and overall structure quite a bit.

Iowa STILL can't get through Yamato's belt, but she's ripping apart her uppers now. Yamato's fire control goes downhill quickly, and her stern continues to flood.

Though Yamato is retreating, Iowa is game to close the range more and more. Soon she's within 8km of Yamato. Her silhouette looms very large, very close.

Iowa is full of holes and has been on fire a LOT, but she's avoided damage to her engines and fire control, so she's really still in pretty good condition despite having been battered by giant battleship shells.

Soon after I say that, Iowa takes a huge hit on her bow. Yamato's guns are cutting through her very easily, but they just can't find the juicy spots they need to cripple her.

Damage to Yamato's somewhat-exposed parts is becoming severe. Her con is blown up, and her rear end is still on fire. She's rapidly losing accuracy and is starting to lose significant speed.

We're within 5km now. Iowa FINALLY gets a round through Yamato's main belt -- the first of the tournament. Yamato's engines are destroyed, and she glides to a near-halt.

CLOSER yells Iowa's captain. She's ripping Yamato apart at this range, but if Yamato can get a salvo into Iowa, she could still pull this one out...

But Yamato can't seem to do it. She begins what looks a lot like a death list.

And then...she gets the big hit. The one she's needed this whole battle. She damages Iowa's engines and rips open her middle. Was Iowa too aggressive? She could have finished off Yamato from a ways away, but instead she came alongside at pistol shot...and paid the price.

Iowa is hurt, but she's still going to go for the kill. Let's get inside 2km and let Yamato have it. Yamato is just stupendously tough...she's borderline crippled, but her fighting core is still fighting.

With maneuvers and ranges more familiar to Nelson than Nimitz, Iowa crosses Yamato's T. At a range of 500m. I thought for a second the two ships would run into one another.

Iowa is literally steaming around Yamato in a circle, trying to finish her off. Yamato is STILL putting very, very dangerous fire into Iowa. I would guess Iowa was maybe two 18" salvoes away from sinking.

We're so close now that you could probably throw a football from one ship to the other, if both ships weren't raging infernos.

Iowa is wheeling around Yamato so fast that I was momentarily concerned she might just tip herself over. She does not.

Round and round we go. Yamato WILL NOT DIE.

And then, shortly before Iowa starts her second lap, Yamato can take no more. The mighty Japanese Juggernaut capsizes and sinks.

What a battle.

Yamato just couldn't land that killer shot. If she would've gotten into Iowa's engines earlier, she would've been much more accurate, and I don't think Iowa would've been able to hold up. As it was, Iowa's speed kept her safe-ish just long enough for her to gain the upper hand and close the deal. Yamato took a ridiculous amount of punishment, and even at the end, was surprisingly close to pulling it out thanks to Iowa closing the range down to literally hundreds of meters.

Iowa did what many thought could not be done, and took down the ridiculously big and powerful Yamato. She has earned the well-deserved title of Battleship Champion!

Final bracket:

This thread has been super fun, and UA:D is a very promising game. I think this format showcased what it is best at currently, and I really enjoyed playing through it.

That said, I'm rather burned out on it for the time being, so I'm going to bow out of any further matchups. I'll encourage anyone with the game, though, to please make some of their own, as these are really fun to both create and to read.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 14, 2022

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Wow - Iowa winning a close-in brawl was an outcome I doubt many folks expected. Impressive work by the pixel ships.

Thanks so much for running this thread, bewbies! I was unfamiliar with this game until now, and it was extremely entertaining to read/watch. You did a fantastic job with it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Very good fight, Good Bote battles as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell yeah! Good work, Iowa!

I can't believe this ridiculous moment basically happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX-zw_cfViY

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 13, 2022

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

America, gently caress yeah!

This game needs an automation engine so we can run scenarios a hundred times and break down outcomes.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
USA USA USA USA
Iowa captain was a madman this battle, and I love his little simulated heart for it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's funny how that one analysis site predicted the Iowa's superiority due to fire control and long-range action and the actual battle itself ended up SAIL ME CLOSER I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD" with the Iowa STILL pulling out a win. Feels like this is one that really could have gone either way depending on the roll of the dice and AI decisions.

Thanks for the thread bewbies! Out of curiosity, have you linked the devs to the thread? Feels like poring over it could provide interesting data for balancing purposes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:catstare:

Holy gently caress, Captain. Was he yelling “SAIL CLOSER SO I CAN HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD” the whole time?

gently caress me that was a good ending.

Thanks bewbies, this was a most excellent thread. Not only did you do a great job with setup and execution, but your pacing was relentless. UA can be a bit of a drag to get through battles sometimes.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

A grand finish to grand thread.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

drat, what a fight!

gg iowa

and thanks bewbies for running these fights

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Incredible.

Thank you for the thread, bewbies!

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

This fight loving delivered, holy poo poo!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That was absolutely a clutch win from Iowa and poor captaining by Yamato. If she stayed at range Yamato would have won handily

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

crazy fight. couldn't really tell in the video but it looked like the front guns on the yamato weren't firing for a really long time, even before the rudder got knocked out.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Oh my god, amazing. Please keep doing videos!

Go Iowa! Well fought, Yamato.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A spectacular ending to an excellent thread. Thanks for for LP.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hot drat what an awesome fight! Thanks for running this tournament bewbies watching pixelboats trade steel is always a blast!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Wow, that was a great fight. Did not expect them to get so close.

Thanks for the awesome tournament!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Slaan posted:

That was absolutely a clutch win from Iowa and poor captaining by Yamato. If she stayed at range Yamato would have won handily

Not really, at far range Iowa could punch through Yamatos deck, in the mid range while Yamato's armor was barely holding on the belt but Iowa was able to take out the areas outside it with accuracy and wound Yamato enough that she could not flee, at close range, Iowa was able to penetrate the belt.

Basically Yamato needed to be able to hold in that mid range on the belt but since Iowa could out manuever Yamato, Iowa dictated the range

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Incredible.

Thank you for the thread, bewbies!

Seriously, this was loving awesome to read.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A great end to a great LP.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Great fight. Close enough that a lucky hit could have changed the outcome.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Honestly the only way this could have been better is if somehow, the two ships actually DID accidentally ram each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
I kinda wish I could look at the ships made as modeled here and play out some of the battles again or try other matchups. I'd like to have seen Littorio try Richeliu or SoDak.