Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That was cool as hell, thank you!

Tomn posted:

Honestly the only way this could have been better is if somehow, the two ships actually DID accidentally ram each other.

Reading this thread has gotten me off the wagon and back into World of Warships, and there have been a lot of accidental rammings

The AI loves running DDs into each other at top speed when the match starts, and yesterday I managed to take out two enemy CVs in one match -- one by filling it with torpedos, and the other by ramming it amidships because I was so focused on the first one I didn't see the second one pop out from behind an island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Did that battle have the longest and shortest shots of the tournament?

(excluding the matchup between Yamato and Minas Geraes where that was not an organic result)

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Thanks for running this, Bewbies. It was fun to see the matchups playout.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Basically Yamato needed to be able to hold in that mid range on the belt but since Iowa could out manuever Yamato, Iowa dictated the range

Yamato can't control the range given her speed disadvantage unless she dings Iowa up pretty good.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Sorry to make it after it's all over, but since I noticed you don't have a table of contents and with the sheer number of screenshots this thread could really use one, here it is, for pasting into first post or whatever. May be useful for when it goes into the LP Archive? (You will be archiving it, right?)

(Bonus rounds and matchups not known from the beginning have been spoilered for future first-time readers.)

Match #1 - Iowa vs Bretagne
Match #2 - Fusō vs Ise
Match #3 - Nelson vs Almirante Latorre
Match #4 - King George V vs Rivadavia
Match #5 - South Dakota vs Gangut/Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya
Match #6 - Hood vs Scharnhorst
Match #7 - Colorado vs Revenge
Match #8 - North Carolina vs Dunkerque

Bonus round - CAULDRON OF DOOM (North Carolina vs 5 torpedo superboats)

Match #9 - Yamato vs Minas Geraes
Match #10 - New Mexico vs Kongō
Match #11 - Littorio vs Renown
Match #12 - Conte di Cavour vs Bismarck
Match #13 - Vanguard vs Andrea Doria
Match #14 - Nagato vs Tennesee
Match #15 - Queen Elizabeth vs Pennsylvania
Match #16 - Richelieu vs New York

Bonus Round - Glass Cannons (Lexington vs Courageous)
Bonus Round - Empire Throwdown (4x Revenge-class vs 4x Kongō-class)
Bonus Round - Batalha Sul-Americana (Brazil vs Argentina fleet battle)
Bonus Round - Old-timers (Monitor vs Virginia)

Match #17 - Yamato vs New Mexico
Match #18 - Littorio vs Bismarck
Match #19 - Vanguard vs Tennessee
Match #20 - Richelieu vs Pennsylvania
Match #21 - Iowa vs Fusō
Match #22 - King George V vs Nelson
Match #23 - Colorado vs Dunquerque
Match #24 - Scharnhorst vs South Dakota

Bonus Round - Big vs Fast (Nebraska vs Nisshin)
Bonus Round - Savo Island Rematch (4x New Orleans-class vs 4x Aoba-class)
Bonus Round - Macross Torpedo Massacre (Kitakami vs North Carolina)

Quarter-finals:
Match #25 - Iowa vs Nelson
Match #26 - South Dakota vs Colorado
Match #27 - Yamato vs Littorio
Match #28 - Vanguard vs Richelieu

Semi-finals:
Match #29 - Iowa vs South Dakota
Match #30 - Yamato vs Richelieu

Bonus Round - Dreadnought or Not (Dreadnought vs Lord Nelson)
Bonus Round - War Plan Orange (4x Colorado-class vs 4x Nagato-class)
Bonus Round - Middleweight Championship (South Dakota vs Richelieu)

Finals:
Match #29 - Iowa vs Yamato

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was watching the video and kept doing the "I'm sure Yamato can still pull this off! :ohdear: *says increasingly nervous armchair admiral*"

Slaan posted:

That was absolutely a clutch win from Iowa and poor captaining by Yamato. If she stayed at range Yamato would have won handily

I think the problem was Yamato spent too much time trying to stay at range and Iowa did just slightly more damage over time slowing down Yamato enough for Iowa to get close to deal serious damage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bewbies posted:

After what seems like a LONG time at long range, Yamato finally makes the big right turn in, and the range closes rapidly. Iowa starts landing hits on Yamato's belt, that do little damage.

I guess as a follow up to my other question, if this is from when Yamato started to turn in the front guns don't look to be aligned with the rears. Was Yamato only using the rears for a big chunk of the fight?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ilmucche posted:

I guess as a follow up to my other question, if this is from when Yamato started to turn in the front guns don't look to be aligned with the rears. Was Yamato only using the rears for a big chunk of the fight?

Maybe the rudder breaking while Yamato was opening the range caused it?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what a finale; what a thread. thanks for all the botes, op

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hell of a thread man. Nice job!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Bravo, hopefully the Other Big Final tonight will be halfway as entertaining and fierce a match. Thank you so much for running this!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
glorious finale, great thread, 5ed

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

the Other Big Final tonight
Wait what? What did I miss?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Pierzak posted:

Wait what? What did I miss?

The Super Bowl

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

The Super Bowl
Yes, but I was asking about battleships.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Pierzak posted:

Yes, but I was asking about battleships.

I am confused, I was hoping that the super bowl would be as exciting as Iowa v. Yamato here.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Fantastic LP, bewbies, a lot of fun to follow. Thank you!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Awesome thread, thanks for making it

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Great thread, was awesome seeing these ships duke it out. The tuba ships now have a special place in my heart.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I didn't think Iowa would be able to get through Yamato's belt. I was almost right.

What an absolutely ridiculous battle that was. I loved it.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Thank you, bewbies. This tournament has made it vastly more apparent why the Yamato class was built. The failure of all other Japanese battleships to fight their way out of round one or even to win bonus matches highlights why Japan needed a new class of battleship to compete with the old battle lines of America & Britain let alone the new fast battleships.

It has also made it clear that the destruction of Yamato by the planes of TF58 was the correct decision. The power, accuracy, and armor of Yamato was no joke. American battleships would have overwhelmed Yamato, but it would likely have caused casualties and damage in excess of the 12 men and 10 planes the air attacks cost. Contravening the notion that TF58 sought excessive glory, leaving Yamato to the battleships of TF54 would have been unnecessary and costly grandstanding.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Thank you, bewbies! That was an epic concluding battle for a great thread.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
A fantastic finale to a great thread. Echoing everyone else, thanks for running this Bewbies! It's been incredibly fun to follow these matches.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Very rad, how close it was really shows how both ships are the pinnacles of the class.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
drat, that was something. Two premier ships of their generation, fighting it out at knife range.

Great LP. Learned a bit more about naval warfare, and got to see ships go boom.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
good thread Bewbies

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
drat I would never have thought it would be that physically close of a fight. What a finale, what a thread. Thank you bewbies for this wild wild ride.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

holy god what a battle. crossing the T at 500 meters, what a glorious and fitting end.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

table of contents

This is brilliant, adding to the first post. Thanks!

ilmucche posted:

She was using all 9 guns for almost all of the fight, aside from when she got rocked by the hit to the con and at the very end. I think that pic was just when she was in mid-turn and hadn't re-rotated her turrets onto the target.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
There is something utterly bonkers about how the two most advanced battleships in existence start the fight with an incredible 34km sniper shot and end it at Nelsonian ranges. Truly a stunning capstone to the LP. Amazing job, bewbies, this is a tournament for the ages.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I wouldn't have believed it if there wasn't a video. loving wild fight. I wonder how differently this whole tournament would go if it was a Best of 3 format.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I wouldn't have believed it if there wasn't a video. loving wild fight. I wonder how differently this whole tournament would go if it was a Best of 3 format.

If the North Carolina ran again I would have mutinied.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Excellent thread, thank you. I now appreciate what an ogre the Yamato was, and battleship design of non-German continental powers.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The only downside to the Iowa winning is that we'll never get to see a Richelieu vs. Iowa loser's bracket finale

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I want to see ironclad battleships for their insanity, but I don't know what I could do to make this flamboyantly italian piece of poo poo in the game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italia-class_ironclad

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
No belt armour... seventeen inch guns... in 1876...

After all, nobody will be able to hit us at our blistering high speed of 18 knots, so why would we need armour?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
From what I remember, the school of thinking here was “the majority of damage done by solid shot is the spallation cone generated when it bashes through the armor, therefore if we don’t do that, and rely on internal bulkheads to contain explosive shell blasts, we should be all right!”

This sounded good until someone actually tested explosive shell against the internal bulkhead system, which utterly failed to hold together against shell blasts.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

No belt armour... seventeen inch guns... in 1876...

After all, nobody will be able to hit us at our blistering high speed of 18 knots, so why would we need armour?

In fairness, this IS with 1876 fire control!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'll probably do a round-robin of The Last of the Armored Cruisers in a week or so. I'd originally intended to do treaty cruisers but the game does not let you build a CA with under 3" of belt armor which puts most designs right out.

Rurik - 15 thousand tons, 21 knots, 6" belt, 4 10" guns, 8 8" guns, 20 3" guns, Vickers-built
Tennessee - 14.5 thousand tons, 22 knots, 5" belt, 4 10" guns, 16 6" guns, and a beautiful gold-over-white paintjob
Tsukuba - 14 thousand tons, 20.5 knots, 7" belt, 4 12" guns, 12 6" guns - essentially a light weight predreadnought battleship on a cruiser hull
Bluecher - 16 thousand tons, 25 knots, 7" belt, 8 8.3" guns, 8 6" guns, 16 3" guns, sunk at Dogger Bank by battlecruisers
Minotaur - 14.5 thousand tons, 23 knots, 6" belt, 4 9.2" guns, 10 7.5" guns, 16 3" guns. Her sisters were mainly sunk at Jutland but she survived.
Edgar Quinet - 14 thousand tons, 23 knots, 6" belt, fourteen 7.5" guns, six funnels, and a vestigial tumblehome
San Giorgio - 10.5 thousand tons, 23 knots, 8" belt, 4 10" guns and 8 7.5" guns leaving me with a lot of questions about how they fit so much stuff on so little a ship. They're short legged for cruisers, but still.

There are kind of two extremes here - from Edgar Quinet's idea of "what if we had a LOT of medium caliber guns" through Tsukuba's four loving huge guns in a slow package like a light weight predreadnought battleship. Don't be fooled by the armor numbers - those are at the thickest part of the belt and the bows and sterns of these ships are pretty vulnerable to shellfire. Expect a lot of steering and engines to be disabled and the combatants slug it out while not moving.

I'm not sure how decisive speed will be in these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Safe to say that by the time the Iowa was laid down, the cowardice of the North Carolina's line had been eliminated from the design?