Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SettingSun posted:

I've played hundreds of SI games and I've barely touched any of the scenarios. There's just so much game in trying different spirit combos and adversary difficulty levels. In the latest expansion they codified rules for mixing two adversaries together and welp there goes all my time.

It bears mentioning that the complex spirits really are complex. I have a very hard time playing the Time spirit on difficulties above 2 for most adversaries and I'm playing a side game of 4d chess if I play the time-space bending hummingbird spirit.

I have seen people swear both of those off forever.

You should try the second wave scenario. It's great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
For the new thread and for a refresher for myself, what are the best games for solo play?

I keep waiting for COVID to stop being a thing so I can play with groups again, but I'm getting the itch to play something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Aggro posted:

I posit that the OP does not have enough Vlaada.
I mean sure, but Galaxy Trucker is real hot-and cold with people, so I didn't add it despite loving it myself. I don't really hear people talk about Space Alert anymore so I didn't add it either. Same with MK, it didn't have enough buzz to get the app version it was supposed to. Petz and Tash Kalar are in there as are two forms of Codenames. I didn't put TTA in there because I'm just gonna add it to App suggestions if I ever add those.

nrook posted:

The new edition is themeless; they took out the Zen theming, with the exception of the name, and, I suppose, the titling of the GM as "the Master."
That is good to hear.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I said this in a PM with a couple of notes on the OP(s), but it bears public repeating: that is some quality work you did to kick off the thread, Magnetic North

But why did you leave Cosmic Encounter off the recommended list? *ducks*

(My shameful secret: I love CE, not as a game, but as a shaft-your-buddy experience.)
Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, CE is old enough that it might go into the pile with Diplomacy as a classic game. But this thread is pretty cold on it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

For the new thread and for a refresher for myself, what are the best games for solo play?

I keep waiting for COVID to stop being a thing so I can play with groups again, but I'm getting the itch to play something.

Depending on your table space and ability/willingness to manage game logistics on your own, Spirit Island, Gloomhaven, and Arkham Horror LCG would be my top 3.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

A general suggestion: any co-op game subject to "quarterbacking", like Pandemic/Jaws of the Lion/etc., is a good choice; just play 2+ pawns/characters/etc. by yourself. You miss out on the social aspect of course.

Another alternative is AI opposition. Twilight Struggle and Lords of Waterdeep have OK AIs, for a couple of examples. I've heard Race for the Galaxy has an excellent one. This of course requires purchasing the app.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't play Marvel Champions solo, but it gets a lot of love for its solo play.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Admiralty Flag posted:

A general suggestion: any co-op game subject to "quarterbacking", like Pandemic/Jaws of the Lion/etc., is a good choice; just play 2+ pawns/characters/etc. by yourself. You miss out on the social aspect of course.

Another alternative is AI opposition. Twilight Struggle and Lords of Waterdeep have OK AIs, for a couple of examples. I've heard Race for the Galaxy has an excellent one. This of course requires purchasing the app.

I won my first game of twilight struggle in turn one when the AI held a scoring card unplayed as an unforced error, so “OK” is a bit generous in my mind.

RFTG app is great, and you can play the AI used in the app for free with permission from rio grande right here.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Mighty Eris posted:

I won my first game of twilight struggle in turn one when the AI held a scoring card unplayed as an unforced error, so “OK” is a bit generous in my mind.

It might say something about me that I don't like... but I'm just fine with poor/predictable AIs. I really enjoyed beating up the Twilight Struggle AI (when it came out on Steam), though it probably gave me some bad ideas about how the game "should" work.

Going further, the Agricola mobile app (which doesn't seem to be available anymore, but still works) has straight-up terrible AIs. I win like 98% of games (regardless of the AI level, which is more like "the AI personality")... which is dumb... but learning to exploit the predictable behavior of each AI personality is it's own little game and I quite like it. I probably wouldn't have played nearly so many games if the AI was better or more realistic.

At some point, AI tools will progress enough that it's straightforward to add "incredibly strong" AIs to most boardgames. That's great, but I hope they don't stop making "last minute hack" easy AIs too.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ll send this as a PM but I’d recommend in the where to buy section including a bit more info about recommended online retailers. There are a lot of pretty scammy online retailers in the space and it would be good newbies to avoid them.

Reputable online retailers of board games:

Gamenerdz: Widely regarded as a reputable online retailer for board games at a reasonable price. They have a generally good deal of the day every day that is a deal. Their customer service is solid and they have free shipping at $75. Gamenerdz has had significant supply issues lately (pandemic related or just popularity) especially on Miniatures and painting supplies. Gamenerdz very rarely does large scale sales, they did virtually nothing for Black Friday in 2021.

Boardlandia: A more recent challenger in the online board game market, Boardlandia became very popular in 2020/2021 due to great sales and better Instock than other retailers. Like Gamenerdz, Boardlandia has good customer service, fast shipping times, and a lower free shipping threshold ($80). Unlike Game Nerdz, Boardlandia has a very limited miniatures and supplies selection. Boardlandia does huge holiday sales that can be a great way to get games.

Miniature Market: One of the longest term online tabletop gaming retailers that specializes in miniatures. Generally the best selection and prices on miniatures, paint, terrain, etc. Miniature Market generally isn’t as comparable on price as the other retailers on board game prices but does have good deals. Their shipping speed is very good but they have a higher free shipping threshold ($99).

Card Haus: Another longterm retailer of tabletop games but one that hasn’t changed with the times as much as Miniature Market. They still have the highest free shipping threshold ($125) and prices that aren’t as competitive. They made major changes to their site in 2021 to focus more heavily on board games than card games and a shopping experience that looks/feels much more like Game Nerdz.

Recommended online retailers of accessories:

LaserOx: LaserOx produces high quality inserts and organizers for many games using mostly recycled materials. They also don’t have abusive pieces of poo poo leading the company.

Tower Rex: Tower Rex makes excellent organizes for a very reasonable price. I’ve been very happy with everything I’ve ordered from them. They look good, assemble super easily, and work well.

Folded Space: If you prefer foam core instead of laser cut organizers, Folded Space makes good products.

Board Game Price checking:

Board Game Atlas: Good resource for price history and sources for board games. It can be a day or two behind on live prices especially on boardlandia but should give you a ballpark for what things are regularly selling for especially for frequently out of stock items.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

I’ll send this as a PM but I’d recommend in the where to buy section including a bit more info about recommended online retailers. There are a lot of pretty scammy online retailers in the space and it would be good newbies to avoid them.

Reputable online retailers of board games:

Gamenerdz: Widely regarded as a reputable online retailer for board games at a reasonable price. They have a generally good deal of the day every day that is a deal. Their customer service is solid and they have free shipping at $75. Gamenerdz has had significant supply issues lately (pandemic related or just popularity) especially on Miniatures and painting supplies. Gamenerdz very rarely does large scale sales, they did virtually nothing for Black Friday in 2021.

Boardlandia: A more recent challenger in the online board game market, Boardlandia became very popular in 2020/2021 due to great sales and better Instock than other retailers. Like Gamenerdz, Boardlandia has good customer service, fast shipping times, and a lower free shipping threshold ($80). Unlike Game Nerdz, Boardlandia has a very limited miniatures and supplies selection. Boardlandia does huge holiday sales that can be a great way to get games.

Miniature Market: One of the longest term online tabletop gaming retailers that specializes in miniatures. Generally the best selection and prices on miniatures, paint, terrain, etc. Miniature Market generally isn’t as comparable on price as the other retailers on board game prices but does have good deals. Their shipping speed is very good but they have a higher free shipping threshold ($99).

Card Haus: Another longterm retailer of tabletop games but one that hasn’t changed with the times as much as Miniature Market. They still have the highest free shipping threshold ($125) and prices that aren’t as competitive. They made major changes to their site in 2021 to focus more heavily on board games than card games and a shopping experience that looks/feels much more like Game Nerdz.

Recommended online retailers of accessories:

LaserOx: LaserOx produces high quality inserts and organizers for many games using mostly recycled materials. They also don’t have abusive pieces of poo poo leading the company.

Tower Rex: Tower Rex makes excellent organizes for a very reasonable price. I’ve been very happy with everything I’ve ordered from them. They look good, assemble super easily, and work well.

Folded Space: If you prefer foam core instead of laser cut organizers, Folded Space makes good products.

Board Game Atlas: Good resource for price history and sources for board games. It can be a day or two behind on live prices especially on boardlandia but should give you a ballpark for what things are regularly selling for especially for frequently out of stock items.

Miniature Market should maybe get an asterisk, since Asmodee stealth bought it

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
On the topic of solo gaming recommendations, the BGG solo guild recently wrapped up their annual Top 200 Solo Games poll. It’s a veritable treasure trove of what’s good solo and every interested gamer should be able to get a few good ideas from it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Is Coolstuff bad now? :ohdear:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Here's a rundown of that solo game poll

VoodooXT posted:

Is Coolstuff bad now? :ohdear:

They've just kinda stepped back as a reliable board game retailer after moving warehouses and shifting much more towards TCGs and their fulfillment business for KS campaigns.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Asmodee may have bought MM on the sly but until I palpably notice a shift in their operation their brick and mortar store is still my go to.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I got a cheap copy of Feast for Odin off fb marketplace and it's taking my groups by storm. Guess I'll get the expansion...

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bottom Liner posted:

They've just kinda stepped back as a reliable board game retailer after moving warehouses and shifting much more towards TCGs and their fulfillment business for KS campaigns.

Yeah, both their store and the site are just not great anymore. Significantly higher prices, worse assortment, and worse service than the other major retailers out there. Their “sales” just make games the same price as everyone else’s normal price.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Koskinator posted:

On the topic of solo gaming recommendations, the BGG solo guild recently wrapped up their annual Top 200 Solo Games poll. It’s a veritable treasure trove of what’s good solo and every interested gamer should be able to get a few good ideas from it.

I'm a little dubious, considering the full list has Commands and Colours: Ancients on it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

I only know about BoardGameAtlas from this story where BGG users alleged they were using the BGG API to steal content. Dunno if that was overblown or not.

I put down CoolStuffInc and Miniature Market as defaults since I don't know many others. I could use these instead. Did CSI become bad? edit: Completely missed Bottom Liner already answering this question, nvm. Obviously Miniature Market has the Asmodee angle, which is a rabbit hole.

Does anyone else have other suggestions for quality online retailers? The only thing other one I've dealt with his Noble Knight but only as a seller.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gamenerdz.com is very solid. great prices, $5 flat shipping, $75 free shipping

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
nothing but good experiences with TabletopMerchant as well. Shipping is a bit of a pain - $150 for free shipping, or $12 flat rate - but their prices are solid, they package games the best I've ever seen, and they even include a handwritten note thanking you and commenting on a game or two from your purchase.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

This is from the old thread, but I’m still curious:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Carcasonne, Space Alert, and BSG are p. bad recs in TYOOL 2k21

Maybe.. Azul? Clank? I like 7 Wonders Architects but it’s new and haven’t played it long-term yet.

BSG has the tentacle remake, but what’s out-Space Alerted Space Alert?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'd throw in Noble Knight as a good retailer as well.
https://www.nobleknight.com/
I'm biased, since they're local, but they have a decent selection and also have a huge catalog of used and older OOP stuff.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Played 4p today. First game for everyone, took quite a while with 4 players but picked up speed as everyone started grokking what to do. Everyone was engaged the entire time, but what became clear was that

1) don't dawdle on the river too much or you risk others having overwhelming scoring possibilities
2) when selecting a VP tile, the special project on it seems much more important than the VP part, and you should probably plan your resources accordingly
3) do NOT have no playable cards or usable workers when a scoring is about to trigger
4) don't be scared to sacrifice a few VP now for massive gains later; you CAN go below 0
5) the second round is a lot shorter than the first

Overall, everyone really liked it, we want to play again soon. Hopefully the tips above help prospective players get into the groove faster.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Boonlake is alright. Probably one too many mechanisms forced in there. But that’s what the young folks are being told they need these days.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Leperflesh posted:

This is a good suggestion, maybe you can give it a go for a few, if several people write like 5 each, they'd all be written up pretty quickly.

This is what I've got from the games I've played enough of to make a statement. For "post length" reasons they're extra short, but are probably enough to gauge thematic interest from someone who has no idea what any of these names mean.

quote:

2 Player games
Note: Starred* games can play a different number than 2 but are suggested for 2.
Light Games
Codenames Duet (Co-op)
Onitama -- Martial arts chess
The Fox in the Forest [card] -- Hearts with special powers
Patchwork -- Build patchwork quilts from scraps
Jaipur
Santorini
Azul* -- Lay elaborate Portuguese tile patterns
Air, Land, & Sea [card] -- Military tactics in three theaters of war
Sprawlopolis*
Battle Line

Medium Games
7 Wonders Duel -- Build the best ancient settlement
Watergate
Tak
Res Arcana*
Marvel Champions*
Antike Duellum
Race for the Galaxy*
BattleCON*

Heavy Games
Blue Moon Legends
Tash-Kalar
Spirit Island* -- Defend your island spirit home from colonizers
Roads and Boats*

3-5 Player games
Light Games
Kingdomino
For Sale
Railroad Ink
High Society
The Resistance: Avalon -- Find the traitors in King Arthur's time
Carcassonne -- Build a French medieval landscape
The Quest for El Dorado
Lost Cities Rivals
Condottiere
The Crew (Co-Op) or The Crew: Deep Sea (Co-op)

Medium Games
Tiny Towns
Parks
Arboretum
Through the Desert
Calico
Modern Art
The Estates
Irish Gauge
Pandemic (Co-op) or Pandemic:Iberia (Co-op) -- Stop diseases from wiping out humanity
Broom Service
Roll for the Galaxy -- Build a space empire
Hansa Teutonica
Concordia or Concordia Venus
Orleans -- Trade and build in medieval France

Heavy Games
Keyflower
Dungeon Petz
Agricola -- Build a medieval farmstead and feed the family
Root
Great Western Trail
Caylus -- Build a city around a French castle
Pax Pamir, 2nd Edition
A Feast for Odin -- Build a viking settlement
Brass Birmingham -- Develop railways during the industrial revolution
Food Chain Magnate
The Gallerist
Gaia Project

6+ Player games
Light Games
Just One (Co-op)
Men at Work
Insider
Wavelength -- Guess what your teammates think of an idea
Skull [card] -- Bluffing with drink coasters
A Fake Artist Goes to New York -- Find the artist who doesn't actually know what they're drawing
Deep Sea Adventure
Junk Art
Codenames

Medium Games
Startups
Flamme Rogue -- Race bicycles around a course
Paper Tales
First Contact
7 Wonders, 2nd Edition -- Build your civilizations wonder of the world

Heavy Games
Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant

I also noted "card" games specifically since "card game" people will easily play similar games but not if you throw a board in front of it (e.g., Flamme Rouge) even if the mechanics are card-specific.

Also, Caylus 1303 should probably replace "regular" Caylus.

Can adjust so it's not as much "build a thing" description, but a some of the original suggestions are basically iterations of the same game (Agricola and A Feast For Odin)?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 30, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Since I moved to Hawai’i my non-flgs purchases have mostly been from Atomic Empire, initially because they’re the only online retailer to offer MM/CSI-level prices and free shipping (>$75) to Hawai’i/Alaska (and continue to do so despite all my $80 orders over the years). They’ve also had great support when there’s been issues, like sending a Arkham lcg pack separate priority when they didn’t receive the promised stock on time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

A Feast for Odin-- Build a viking settlement

Hey, just for funsies, click that hyperlink to the BGG page. At the top, they've added the ability to suggest a one sentence description for games. For AFfO, it says, "Puzzle together the life of a Viking village as you hunt, farm, craft, and explore." That's a nice description, and hits the type of game, the theme and a few key actions. Why would someone write a description when one already exists? It's almost as if BGG has already crowdsourced this labor. Because it has.

Holy poo poo, yours is laconic to the point of uselessness. Please consider writing one for every game. I am not going to use them, but every one you write is less time you spend posting in this thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, Caylus 1303 should probably replace "regular" Caylus.

Can adjust so it's not as much "build a thing" description, but a some of the original suggestions are basically iterations of the same game (Agricola and A Feast For Odin)?

Caylus 1303 does not replace the original, from what I hear. Also AFFO isn't an iteration on Agricola. You're probably thinking of Caverna.

A bit of non-US input for retailers:

UK: the most reliable and best stocked retailers are GamesQuest and BoardGameGuru. GamesQuest offer free shipping on orders over £50; BGGuru charge varying amounts for shipping depending on whether you want Saturday or morning delivery, but offer discounts on orders above £50 that scale up to a 10% discount on orders of £250.

EU: I haven't heard of anyone with a better rep than Philibert. Shipping is free on orders above €60 in France and €90 in Zone A (the original 12 EU nations); after that it gets complicated.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Magnetic North posted:

Hey, just for funsies, click that hyperlink to the BGG page. At the top, they've added the ability to suggest a one sentence description for games. For AFfO, it says, "Puzzle together the life of a Viking village as you hunt, farm, craft, and explore." That's a nice description, and hits the type of game, the theme and a few key actions. Why would someone write a description when one already exists? It's almost as if BGG has already crowdsourced this labor. Because it has.

Holy poo poo, yours is laconic to the point of uselessness. Please consider writing one for every game. I am not going to use them, but every one you write is less time you spend posting in this thread.

Okay, then put those descriptions on there instead. It’s more helpful for new people to whom the names mean nothing.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
It's true that succinct descriptions can be useful information.

For example, "PRADA SLUT - There already is representation of women in board games. Just look at all my titty minis. What more representation do they need?"

-----

For boardgame price comparisons, I suggest Boardgameoracle instead of Boardgameatlas. More useful for Canadians, too.

Boardgameprices.co.uk for Europeans.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Llyranor posted:

For boardgame price comparisons, I suggest Boardgameoracle instead of Boardgameatlas. More useful for Canadians, too.

Boardgameprices.co.uk for Europeans.

Had no idea about this until you posted it. Already seems way better and easier to navigate. Definitely seconding.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

I like story heavy games for solo play - stuff where reading large amounts of text would be tedious out loud.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Chronicles of Crime
Detective
Mythos Tales

These games are all light on gameplay and focused more on deduction.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

Caylus 1303 does not replace the original, from what I hear. Also AFFO isn't an iteration on Agricola. You're probably thinking of Caverna.

A bit of non-US input for retailers:

UK: the most reliable and best stocked retailers are GamesQuest and BoardGameGuru. GamesQuest offer free shipping on orders over £50; BGGuru charge varying amounts for shipping depending on whether you want Saturday or morning delivery, but offer discounts on orders above £50 that scale up to a 10% discount on orders of £250.

EU: I haven't heard of anyone with a better rep than Philibert. Shipping is free on orders above €60 in France and €90 in Zone A (the original 12 EU nations); after that it gets complicated.

Caylus 1303 streamlines Caylus, and it definitely comes out quite a bit lighter than the original. I like 'em both.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Got to play 2 recent big kickstarter games today, both at two players.

Destinies
We did the first scenario. This is a “competitive” choose your own adventure game using an app. It didn’t seem like there was any way to interact with the other player other than using up a location first. It was easy to learn and didn’t overstay its welcome, but felt odd to be racing in a game where most of the fun was in exploring all the different map tiles. Whoever gets lucky in heading the right direction more often will progress the story, while the other player is just getting more powerful. However, getting more powerful doesn’t help you win if you don’t end up on the right map tiles. I don’t see there being much replay value in a scenario as the map and encounters seem static.

Townsfolk Tussle
This is a boss rush game, but unlike a certain kingdom game it’s not a campaign game. It has a cuphead or very early Disney cartoon aesthetic which looked fantastic. The production value is top notch on this thing. The game has you fight 4 bosses with a town phase before each fight where an event happens and you get some gear. There are a good number of bosses in the box and they all have special abilities depending on when you fight them. They also each set up the arena where you fight them in a different way with a ton of terrain that has different effects, all of which is easily referenced with cards placed out on the bottom of the map.

When we did the first fight it went very poorly. My character missed every attack and died quickly. The other character did some good damage, but also died. We decided to reset as my character felt like it was a support that really needed more than 2 players to be usable. With new characters and a fresh start the game went the other direction with me quickly getting 2 guns that I could use on alternating turns from very far away coupled with some pants that let me move very far meant all the bosses went down without much challenge.

Im looking forward to seeing the greater board game communities thoughts on its balance and player count differences as more people get a chance to play. As it stands it feels very luck dependent between the randomized equipment you’re able to purchase coupled with every attack relying on a single d10.

In short, a beautiful production with some questionable balance issues, but I repeat myself as I already said it was a Kickstarter.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

Every Vlaada should be in the OP. The OP should just be Vlaada. All praise unto Vlaada.

(Dungeon duo rules, you should definitely try them)

It's weird - I suspect that because he's moved onto family party games and hasn't put out anything particularly heavy in years (except the TTA expansion), he hasn't been as romanticized in this thread (or on SUSD) as he once was. Space Alert and the Dungeon duo are, imo, timeless and while I've moved onto more intuitive solo fare than Mage Knight, it's great too. And people in my group will always remember Bunny Bunny Moose Moose.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
There's still nothing I've found that quite replaces how good Space Alert is as a real-time co-op board game, but like other people have mentioned, I would love to know if there are other good board games like it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

manero posted:

Caylus 1303 streamlines Caylus, and it definitely comes out quite a bit lighter than the original. I like 'em both.

I haven't played 1303, but from what I saw of it it stripped out too much. I was willing to go with the consensus opinion on that basis.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Stickman posted:

BSG has the tentacle remake, but what’s out-Space Alerted Space Alert?

There's nothing wrong with Space Alert, but it's not really an "introduction to board games" style of game, especially when you have more options in the co-op space in the 13 years since its release. It's also hard to keep track of what's happening if you're new, and the "lol don't worry about it just watch the chaos" isn't always broadly appealing. It's a niche game.

I'd still play it if someone put it on the table, but I can't think of anyone who I'd think "yeah.. Space Alert is what's going to get them into this hobby", especially when I'm staring down like.. Quacks of Quedlinburg (chaos) or Pandemic (co-op) or Flamme Rouge (play some cards). Even Magic Maze if I think they would love real-time.

Space Alert fits into the "someone who already plays some board games but want's something a bit weird and different than what they know"

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 31, 2021

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Suddenly Susan posted:

Destinies
We did the first scenario. This is a “competitive” choose your own adventure game using an app. It didn’t seem like there was any way to interact with the other player other than using up a location first. It was easy to learn and didn’t overstay its welcome, but felt odd to be racing in a game where most of the fun was in exploring all the different map tiles. Whoever gets lucky in heading the right direction more often will progress the story, while the other player is just getting more powerful. However, getting more powerful doesn’t help you win if you don’t end up on the right map tiles. I don’t see there being much replay value in a scenario as the map and encounters seem static.

Judging by my friend who duo'd the whole campaign with his wife then alternately showed it off to me and a couple others, the replay value is in stomping newbies because you remember where everything is and they are still stumbling around trying to figure out which threads to latch onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Does anyone else here work TG retail?