Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As much as I hated the Steam implementation of Terraforming Mars (animations take the whole drat game even on fastest) and kind of hate TM, I'm excited to see it on BGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mr. Squishy posted:

No game has yet to do deckbuilding better.

To be fair, I dislike "pure" deckbuilders as a concept, my idea of a good deckbuilder is a game which has deckbuilding as a minor element and not as the entire game, so it makes sense that I wouldn't like Dominion

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

CitizenKeen posted:

So the external pitch for Arcs is "Leder and Wehrle in SPAAAAAAAAAACE"

Thanks for the overview. I think this is the game I am most looking forward to this year. Although speaking of Wehrle, I am disappointed that I didn't get a chance to play Molly House when I was at PAX East last weekend. They had a copy of it, but of the two people I was with, only 1 was interested in playing it. I think the other person would be interested in the final game, but the early prototype turned him off.

I did get the chance to play a demo of Compile that is being published by Greater Than Games this summer. It is a 2 player competitive card game where you are trying to build enough influence/points on three different lanes before your opponent. If you can do so and compile the lane, you wipe out all the cards and influence they had on the lane. The cards you play all have different abilities that allow you to disrupt what your opponent is doing. Hard to say how good it will be off a single demo, but I was starting to grasp the different ways cards could play off of each other by the end. For a $20 game, I figure it worth giving it a shot. If nothing else, it has really nice art.

Otherwise, we mainly played a bunch of games we had missed over the years. I really enjoyed Cascadia and can understand why everyone finds it enjoyable. Welcome To was fun, although somehow I have never really played any modern roll and writes (flip and writes?), so the novelty probably helped.

On the other hand, I was not a fan of Thunder Road: Vendetta. I am all for a dumb game where you chuck some dice and cause chaos, but triggering the end condition for a 3 player game was very annoying. We all got down to 1 car, but we couldn't manage to eliminate a player. It caused the game to go on for 15 - 20 minutes longer than was fun and we were just glad when it finally ended. It sounds like the expansions might have fixed that, but I can't say I have any interest in finding out.

I did pick up a copy of Wyrmspan, as well as Castles of Burgundy that I have somehow avoided playing. I am looking forward to getting them to the table. My friend grabbed a copy of Furnace, which I am also looking forward to playing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Thankfully there are a couple games that are essentially just Dominion With A Different Theme

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

dishwasherlove posted:

Even as a massive Cole fan, I got burnt too hard by Oath and didn't back Arcs. Keen to see some real long term impressions and there will no doubt be second Kickstarter in the Leder style.

Exact same for me. And even though I don't feel burned by John Company, it's definitely a very pretty dust-collector on my shelf currently.

If Arcs turns out to be good I'll be kicking myself for a bit (and then grabbing a regular copy via my FLGS and saving money versus crowdfunding probably).

Also, Roll for the Galaxy is great, I play it 2P with my wife all the time (at least I did before we had kids). Dominion is so much fun and I'm always irrationally aggravated whenever someone shits on it and then when asked what's better you get this stammering response about theme and bla bla bla star realms/dc/clank. I do have more fun playing of the Valley of the Kings though, even if I acknowledge Dominion is superior mechanically.

Also just got vaguely kingmade in 1846 when a guy I had heavily invested in who should have been just mashing the auto-route and PAY button for the last sets of ORs decided to get cute and withhold and shuffle a train over for no reason whatsover. He stayed in last but cost me enough stock appreciation and payout to drop me to second and it drove me insane. Serves me right to treating him as a rational, sane train baron!

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2024

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Harold Fjord posted:

As much as I hated the Steam implementation of Terraforming Mars (animations take the whole drat game even on fastest) and kind of hate TM, I'm excited to see it on BGA.

I played one game of TM on BGA and was reminded of why I dislike it as much as I do. The game literally went on an extra round because my opponent could have placed the last ocean in his final round but thought he could beat me more resoundingly than he already was if he got an extra round of scoring in.

There is way too much watching other people take their actions and seeing long-established conclusions drag themselves to the finish line for that game to stay in my interests, even as much as I love the theme and some of the appeal of watching a plan come together.

I was pretty certain Ark Nova had replaced it (despite not fully resolving the issues I had with TM) and that play pretty well convinced me. My AN experiences, on BGA, have largely been great.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh yeah I still won't play it in real time.

I'm one of those people that rolls 30 to 40 turn-based games at a time so terraforming Mars will slot right in

I want to change my name but it's hard to stop queueing new games

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

The game literally went on an extra round because my opponent could have placed the last ocean in his final round but thought he could beat me more resoundingly than he already was if he got an extra round of scoring in.

This is a resounding indictment of either your opponent or any game in which the players determine the game’s end

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

This is a resounding indictment of any game in which the players determine the game’s end

you mean any game that doesn't have a fixed time or turn limit?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I play TfM solo mode on the app, that way I don’t even have to wait for the AI to take its turn. It’s just always my turn.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

There is way too much watching other people take their actions and seeing long-established conclusions drag themselves to the finish line for that game to stay in my interests, even as much as I love the theme and some of the appeal of watching a plan come together.

This is also how I feel about Baren park.

It's got some good elements but the last like a third of the game is completely unnecessary

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Harold Fjord posted:

This is also how I feel about Baren park.

It's got some good elements but the last like a third of the game is completely unnecessary

Barenpark is a good game in general, but like many engine builders it has inevitability. It's not long enough for it to become unpleasant, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

Hell, no game has yet to do deckbuilding as well. Every twist someone tries to add detracts.

The “no-shuffle” gimmick in Aeon’s End works really well, as do Valley of the King’s pyramid + staged market row and entombing mechanics. The games aren’t necessarily better than Dominion, but they are different and the differences don’t detract from the experience.

E: missing important “n’t” on “aren’t”!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 29, 2024

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

worrying too much about what makes a deckbuilder better than dominion will give you piles :allears:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Stickman posted:

The “no-shuffle” gimmick in Aeon’s End works really well, as do Valley of the King’s pyramid + staged market row and entombing mechanics. The games are necessarily better than Dominion, but they are different and the differences don’t detract from the experience.

Undaunted's deck building mechanic is really great too, and heightens the intensity of the game's combat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

panko posted:

worrying too much about what makes a deckbuilder better than dominion will give you piles :allears:

You just need to do that 3 times and it ends.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

I played one game of TM on BGA and was reminded of why I dislike it as much as I do. The game literally went on an extra round because my opponent could have placed the last ocean in his final round but thought he could beat me more resoundingly than he already was if he got an extra round of scoring in.

I was pretty certain Ark Nova had replaced it (despite not fully resolving the issues I had with TM) and that play pretty well convinced me. My AN experiences, on BGA, have largely been great.

Yeah I've played a bunch of TfM games on BGA now, all asych, and it's just weaker than Ark Nova as a game. The live scoring is a great feature but it really just makes it glaring how little you give a poo poo about what other people do, even with it notionally having more player interaction than Ark Nova.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So I taught my 9yo potato man last night before bed. Quick teach, he picked up his cards, we played 2p, I won, he didn't get upset, it was amazing.

Then this morning he, without prompting, asked to play it again??? And then the 5yo joined in for a 3p of uno go?

Is this...gaming? I don't remember what regular gaming felt like.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

So I taught my 9yo potato man last night before bed.

So what did you teach to your 9yo potato man?

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

the holy poopacy posted:

No, I think he bought his 9 year old potato a man.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

the holy poopacy posted:

how to affix a nose

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Regarding the Dominion mobile app: It is hugely improved over what existed in the past, so thanks for the head’s up.

What I don’t get is, what sets are included for single player from the jump? They sell the sets a la carte, but I feel like I have at least several of them- I don’t remember anything about favor, peasants/soldiers, developments etc from playing the core set way back when. I feel overwhelmed by the options lol

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are you playing the daily? They let you play it once regardless of your expansions.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Only the base game is included for general play. The daily game is a mix of sets and you can only play it a single time unless you own all the sets included in that days mix. I believe if you own at least 3 sets you can play ranked and be matched against players that own more sets.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

No, I’m just playing the normal game. I guess I must really not remember the original core set, it really included double-wide investment cards that players can buy into for permanent options?

Edit: Idk, I am not playing the daily but looking at what is included in the core set, I am definitely getting cards from other expansions thrown in at random.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 30, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The digital version is the second edition which includes 5+ new cards from the original base.

If you owned sets on the old digital version and used the same email to register they also honored those purchases.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Elysium posted:

If you owned sets on the old digital version and used the same email to register they also honored those purchases.

This must be it. Specifically, I have had (among others) Torturer, Crystal Ball, Lurker, Peasant, some developments and so on in my game. I must have bought an all-in version of the old version many years ago or something.

Problematically, the game doesn’t recognize these purchases (“restore purchases” did not mark them as owned,) so I have no ability to turn them on or off.

Oh well. Game is still fun, it’s just a bit much for learning curve.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Been playing a lot of 18xx lately and had two constrasting opinions.

18Neb: I played this a lot about 10 years ago when I had weekly 18xx games and it's a neat 3 player game. It has some interesting choices, mostly because the track-laying is incredibly tactical and can change from game to game. The main conceit is that every city on the board starts as a yellow dot, and upgrades to green single station cities. Also, all the trains are of the X+Y variety, so you really want to scoop dots if you can, but the routes can really vary and the tokening can be brutal. It's a neat, fast playing game and I think is underrated for how neat it all ties together.

1822: I am in the middle of a miserable game of this where we are just getting some really dogshit minors all in a row and it's slowing down the game enough that I think I actually really dislike this game, although I still enjoy 22CA/MX/PNW. I know that the designer has said that the imbalance of the minors/majors is deliberate but how the game grinds to a halt if you get a market of lovely minors that are intantly going to die just really breaks the game for me, and I don't think I really want to try to play this again. The other '22s have much better minors or systems to allow minors to actually develop properly (like builder cubes). 1822 can just randomly be a miserable experience and it's too long to be this miserable.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
tbh, I think it's because we're all being way too picky with minors after having played PNW/CA/MX where minors are good if you can rescue them, to 22 where this very much is not the case. In most of the other 22 games, a minor running for 30 in Phase 1 is mediocre. In 22, it's good if it can upgrade its train before it rusts.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm kind of the opposite opinion, the more of the 22likes i play the more I just like the original 22 over the rest. They're all doing the same thing fundamentally, just with more unnecessary stuff bolted on with each new version.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

taser rates posted:

I'm kind of the opposite opinion, the more of the 22likes i play the more I just like the original 22 over the rest. They're all doing the same thing fundamentally, just with more unnecessary stuff bolted on with each new version.

I think I'd like 22 more if the minors were just better. Stuff like:
Make Newcastle (M4's home), and Sheffield (M8's home) Y Cities - would help make the game less about London/Birmingham/manchester.
Move either M26/M9 from Hull/Grimsby to Nottingham (right next to the Midland) or something.
Remove the Random Swamp from Norwich (M25's home)
Add extra prongs to M26/M9's home so it can be upgraded to green without paying that stupid bridge terrain cost.
Add extra prongs to Carlisle (Caledonian's Destination) so it can actually go brown/grey.
Mid Wales (M29's home) and Highlands (M2's home) should be uprated to 20/20 in yellow/green to make them at least worth considering.
Delete M6 from existence (I have never, ever seen anyone deliberately build to Barrow).

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 31, 2024

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I think Dominion is an amazing game/system and I've always been incredibly infatuated with the design but have also had a weird back-and-forth relationship with the balance. More specifically, there seems to be an 80/20 (or even 90/10 and so on) rule which applies to playing optimally wherein squeezing every last drop of performance out of the typical random (or semi-seeded) Kingdom involves a lot of consideration that someone can almost completely match within draw-luck's margin of error by employing a Big Money With Key Engine Pieces strategy. In other words, playing optimally seems to be really interesting and typically requires clever use of almost the entire Kingdom, but playing Good Enough by buying Gold when you can afford it and Wharfs/Villages or whatever draw engine exists when you can't is uncomfortably close behind.

I'm no expert, though I have watched a lot of tournament play. I think the relative costs of Silver and Gold compared to the Action cards is the main culprit, as in they are probably too low? I wanna be using the cool unique Kingdom cards to their full potential, not grabbing Silvers and Golds when in doubt.

I saw that in one of the latest expansions there are Traits which can change the properties of cards in the Kingdom, including the cost. I think that's a really neat way to get more legs out of cards which were previously considered Too Good or Too Bad.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Played Dune Uprising for the first time today. Much, much tighter game than Dune:Imperium. Uncertain whether I prefer it to D:I+Ix. Seemed to be easier to score VPs (well, at least for everyone else, who had played before) because of set matching, but harder to do anything.

Had Margot Fenring and the worst luck drawing signet ring -- like having 11 cards and going two turns without drawing signet ring luck. But I'm not convinced of the usefulness of spies in blue areas anyway, but I was slow to get to Fremen 2 (wanting to get BG2 first to activate my special and the card draw on the Arrakis Liaison equivalent cards). The game was won, however, by someone using a spy to go Heighliner after someone else did to crank out a massive force for the final battle (24 to 23 to 22 to 10ish, I think it was, with my feeble 22 drawing up the rear for 3x2 spice instead of 2x2 VPs).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serotoning posted:

I think Dominion is an amazing game/system and I've always been incredibly infatuated with the design but have also had a weird back-and-forth relationship with the balance. More specifically, there seems to be an 80/20 (or even 90/10 and so on) rule which applies to playing optimally wherein squeezing every last drop of performance out of the typical random (or semi-seeded) Kingdom involves a lot of consideration that someone can almost completely match within draw-luck's margin of error by employing a Big Money With Key Engine Pieces strategy. In other words, playing optimally seems to be really interesting and typically requires clever use of almost the entire Kingdom, but playing Good Enough by buying Gold when you can afford it and Wharfs/Villages or whatever draw engine exists when you can't is uncomfortably close behind.

I'm no expert, though I have watched a lot of tournament play. I think the relative costs of Silver and Gold compared to the Action cards is the main culprit, as in they are probably too low? I wanna be using the cool unique Kingdom cards to their full potential, not grabbing Silvers and Golds when in doubt.

I saw that in one of the latest expansions there are Traits which can change the properties of cards in the Kingdom, including the cost. I think that's a really neat way to get more legs out of cards which were previously considered Too Good or Too Bad.

I agree, though for me, the Goodness of Big Money or Big Money+Small Engine often takes the sting out of others getting 2/5 or 5/2 to start when you don't. You know you're worse off, but you might still win if you're careful and lucky.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

a few games with the hard AI on the app will quickly disabuse you of the notion that big money is “uncomfortably close” to optimal on anything but the most rudimentary of kingdoms

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hello thread, I have a very strange question. Is there a half decent game anywhere that's cheese themed? Thinking Viticulture but cheese instead of wine. Genre optional, weight optional.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The Formaggio expansion for Viticulture.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Mousetrap

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I don’t know about board games, but there’s a cheese-themed extreme sport.

E: Apparently Fromage is releasing late this year? (Simultaneous worker placement)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

SkeletonHero posted:

The Formaggio expansion for Viticulture.

Hah, I was so close! Thanks!