Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Maybe this thread could help me on this question but how difficult would it be to proxy up my own version of Advanced Civ if I already have the original Civ? I know there would be some extra trade goods and techs or modified ones at the least but curious if anyone has any clue.

Or knows if someone "sells" an upgrade kit...

Advanced Civilization was an upgrade kit. You needed original Civilization to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone play Riff Raff? MM has it on sale for $69 and I was wondering how it stacks :goku: up to other dexterity games

riff raff is very good but I wouldn’t consider it an alltimer. maybe 7.5/10. it loses points for me for being just a little bit too technical and fragile for most young children and for being a game where it’s easy for a player to gently caress up catastrophically which dooms them and then makes the rest of the game a cakewalk for the other players. I like that a player can catch falling pieces before they hit the table and not be debited them though. hamsterrolle still the goat.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

Advanced Civilization was an upgrade kit. You needed original Civilization to play.

Yeah I just meant whether there are non-boxed versions floating around out there of the tech cards and trade goods that I could acquire and just add manually rather than have so track down an entire $400USD box of them.

So far it looks like:
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/civilization-advanced-trade-cards
and maybe these:
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/advanced-civilization-advancement-cards

And maybe this:
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/advanced-civilization-reengineered-map

Are my best bets?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

panko posted:

riff raff is very good but I wouldn’t consider it an alltimer. maybe 7.5/10. it loses points for me for being just a little bit too technical and fragile for most young children and for being a game where it’s easy for a player to gently caress up catastrophically which dooms them and then makes the rest of the game a cakewalk for the other players. I like that a player can catch falling pieces before they hit the table and not be debited them though. hamsterrolle still the goat.

Thank. Will wait patiently for the hamster. Sad they didn't change the graphic, but it's fine. The wheel would make for a better furniture display piece than the box anyway.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Someone on Reddit posted these 6 years ago

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

trying to decide if those would be less embarassing on the forearm or the leg

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah I just meant whether there are non-boxed versions floating around out there of the tech cards and trade goods that I could acquire and just add manually rather than have so track down an entire $400USD box of them.

So far it looks like:
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/civilization-advanced-trade-cards
and maybe these:
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/advanced-civilization-advancement-cards

And maybe this:
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/advanced-civilization-reengineered-map

Are my best bets?

That’s about right yeah. The western expansion map isn’t necessary unless you play 8 players afaik. You’ll also need a copy of the AST (the scoring track) as I think it was adjusted, but I could be wrong.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

Maybe this thread could help me on this question but how difficult would it be to proxy up my own version of Advanced Civ if I already have the original Civ? I know there would be some extra trade goods and techs or modified ones at the least but curious if anyone has any clue.

Or knows if someone "sells" an upgrade kit...

I've done it, and it isn't hard.

There are sites that sell scans of the classic Avalon Hill wargame collections. Not sure what the legality is of selling scans of an out of print 50 year old board game.

I will say that it cost a remarkable amount to rebuild Adv Civ from scratch and you might be better off with one of the reboots people have published.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Went to a meetup yesterday, got to play 3 games I own which is a rarity (1 of which was someone else bringing the same game)

I finally got to play Brian Boru (I've had it on the shelf since Christmas) and it was really good, we played without drafting since it was everyone's first game but it was still interesting.

It's an area control game where the winner is the one with the most points at the end of the game; points are gained mostly via having majority control of various regions of the map but there are other scoring opportunities (one of which can potentially be game-winning almost by itself if a single player can focus on it) including "presence on the most different map regions".

Each turn the players are dealt some cards (you're supposed to draft here but since nobody had any idea what a good card looked like we didn't bother) which you then use to play rounds of trick taking; the lead player chooses a location to contest, leads a card matching the colour / suit of that city, and everyone else can choose to either follow suit or not. Cards are played face up clockwise from the lead player, so as the last player to put down a card you will always know exactly if you're going to win or lose a trick (it's more of an economic game rather than a bluffing one). Each card has a numerical value and a colour, and also has a couple of associated actions; if you win a trick with a card, you carry out the top action, and if you lose a trick with a card you carry out the bottom action. Generally speaking, winning tricks with higher value cards has you paying resources for the priviledge of winning a location, and winning with lower value ones has you gain extra resources. After you've played all but one card you run through upkeep step where players gain or lose control over locations and points are allocated based on resource track placement, and then you go from the top again.

The resource tracks all work slightly differently but are all various takes on "the winner gains a benefit and resets their track, the runner up gains a smaller benefit and loses 1 resource, the loser gets nothing but retains their position". In particular, the game tends to break ties in such a way that forcing ties is impactful; for example, if last place for "minimum viking influence" is tied, then both players lose a location to viking raiders. If first place for "highest church influence" is tied, then nobody gains the benefit for that round. Thanks to this and how the trick taking part of the game broadly works, there's a lot of decision making around how exactly you want to use your cards; some map locations might not be very useful to you, and tricks targeting those areas are where you're looking to play card which give a lot of resources for losing, but you also don't want to give away points to the opponent who might see an opportunity to lead with a low value card and score a location as well as getting extra resources.

There's also some more complex decision making to do with map placement, as a secondary game mechanic allows you to take control of additional locations on the board by paying coins, but only if they are directly adjacent to a location you already control (adjacency determined by roads on the map) so there is an element of blocking other players both directly (by taking locations they need to score) and indirectly (by blocking the road routes they want to use)

Overall it's extremely unlike anything else I've ever played, with complex layered indirect competition between players as well as a smaller amount of direct competition, all processed through the drafting and trick taking process; definitely a game where your overarching strategy is just trying to get maximum value from every card play, but exactly what that means is going to vary wildly for each trick, and reading and predicting your opponents choices is a big part of that (especially since you always draft in the same direction, so you will always know which cards you've passed to the player to your left and subsequently have a good idea of the available card pool of the player after you in play order). Definitely looking forward to playing this one some more!

I played Beyond the Sun with Leaders of the New Dawn for the first time; I'm not sure if I liked the new leader cards or not, with my general impression being that they added more variability at the cost of game balance, similar to using the advanced player boards which come with the base game, but I can see that this might be beneficial once you've played the core game a lot, and the fact that you draft them ameliorates the added imbalance somewhat. The other additions to the game (new techs, events and achievements) were great and I think the overall tech balance is definitely better now (tier 2 red / yellow are clearly more competitive), but given the price tag I don't think that I'll be buying the expansion for my own copy an time soon, unless the price goes down.

I also played Hansa Teutonica with the East Hansa map for the first time, with 3 players as I'd previously been recommended this map for any player count; while I can see that this map setup has a lot going for it, I'm not sure if it's well suited to 3 players, since having 3 routes into the action upgrade space kind of ruins the early game tension over board upgrades, and at least in this first game, the first player to get an action upgrade was able to run away with the game. Possibly exasperated since the other player immediately put a trader in the action city and farmed points, which left me as the only player not benefitting from the other two players spamming action upgrades. Not sure what the correct action to take here was in this particular game (I probably should have been doing some abusive stuff with bonus tokens, but as one of the players was new I held back on what I generally consider to be a slightly degenerate strategy) but I'll certainly be looking to use this board more as I can see that it will have some really interesting implications for 4 and 5 player games both with increased power / viability of merchant-heavy strategies via the naval trade routes and the different map setup around the action upgrade city

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just ended a 3p game of cribbage with my dad and wife. She was one point from winning, I was eight back, my dad a few behind me.

With her leading, ten card, I played a five for two, my dad played a five for two, my wife played a five for six to win...and I slammed down the case five because goddamn I don't know if I've ever come so close to a four of a kind during the play. Robbed!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

3p cribbage drives me nuts.

Gonna be the guy in the retirement home screaming 1v1 me in the cafeteria, noob

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Actually tracked down a real copy of Adv Civ for a shockingly reasonable price compared to the hilarious ones on eBay/BGG market. Just a matter of acquiring it properly now...

armorer posted:

One of these years I will finally get Eastern Empires or Western Empires to the table. Then maybe within the decade that follows that I will get a combined play of both in, and never talk to more than half the room while the game is going on for a weekend or so.

Dude, you are missing out. Just cap it between 5-8 people, give people a week plus notice in advance, account for attrition if you've got flaky loving prick friends that bail on you at the last second (no, I'm not bitter what are you talking about) and set a limit on trades and the day. The 18p game is a once a decade thing unless you're swimming in free time and happen to know enough other people in the same boat. I did it once and my friend and I didn't play at all, we just refereed and spent time organising trade goods. 12 hrs but people still talk about it.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 15, 2024

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
One of these years I will finally get Eastern Empires or Western Empires to the table. Then maybe within the decade that follows that I will get a combined play of both in, and never talk to more than half the room while the game is going on for a weekend or so.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Eurogoons, I have to sell a significant number of my board games. Before I create an SA mart post, I wanted to get an idea if it'd be worthwhile, as I'd rather rehome these to folks from SA, instead of venturing onto eBay. I can ship to continental Europe, but not overseas.

Star Wars: Rebellion (includes foam organizer)
    Star Wars: Rebellion Rise of the Empire Expansion
    Not Alone
    Die Siedler Von Catan (Deutsch) + 5 und 6 spieler Ergänzung
    Die Siedler Von Catan: Städte und Ritter (Deutsch)
    Patchwork
    Kemet (Original version)
    Quantum (Rare, out of print)
    Arctic Scavengers (Base Game + HQ + Recon)
    The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31
    So, You've Been Eaten
    March of the Ants + Minions of the Meadow + Empires of the Earth Expansion
    Under Falling Skies
    Scythe Deluxe Edition (includes foam insert, Bonus promo packs, expanded encounters and giant board expansion)
    Scythe: The Wind Gambit Expansion
    Scythe: Invaders from Afar Expansion
    Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (Standalone)
    Root (includes exiles and partizans expansion deck, Vagabond Pack, Landmarks and rules updates)
    Root Underworld Expansion
    Root Riverfolk Expansion
    Root The Marauder Expansion
    Root Marauder Hirelings Box
    Android Netrunner (Nearly Complete Collection, everything but Reign and Reverie)

If this is considered self promotion, mods please let me know and I'll happily remove the post.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Afriscipio posted:

Eurogoons, I have to sell a significant number of my board games. Before I create an SA mart post, I wanted to get an idea if it'd be worthwhile, as I'd rather rehome these to folks from SA, instead of venturing onto eBay. I can ship to continental Europe, but not overseas.

This type of post is fine, so far as I've been lead to believe. Any deals should probably be in SA-Mart to have the added protections from the subforum-specific rules there, but AFAIK it is not a requirement if someone just want to deal in PMs. Caveat emptor and all that.

For Android Netrunner specifically, I might suggest finding a netrunner community. It's still going strong thanks to the effort of Null Signal Games, though rotation is making the older cards less and less necessary.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
That list does raise a question that I imagine has been asked about a million times (possibly by me already?): Under Falling Skies or Warp's Edge?

I like the idea of the UFS campaign with the comics etc, whereas I probably would prefer a bag builder style game compared to a dice puzzle.

I could always just check out the PnP for UFS and see how it grabs me before I make a decision.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I strongly prefer Warp's Edge.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Afriscipio posted:

I´d be interested in Android Netrunner.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Okay, fess up, which one of you is this? Cross-post from the GBS r/relationships thread.

The Alchemist posted:

AITA for wanting to finish a game of monopoly?

quote:

Me and two friends were playing a game of monopoly that took about 3-4 hours to get to the end. We all had hotels and money was going back and forth between us all; it was anyone’s game for most of it. Towards the end it was becoming clear that I was going to win, and finally one of the other players landed on my hotel. He did not have the money to pay, and according to the rules he at that point would have gone bankrupt and would have had to sell and hand over his properties. However this isn’t what happened.

Instead, both other players chose to end the game and forfeit. The reasons they chose to do this were as follows: the game was no longer fun, they were out of money and options, and that it was clear who the winner was going to be. They declared me the winner. The three of us argued for about an hour over this.

I argued that this was unfair, unsportsmanlike, and honestly seemed petty. The nature of the game monopoly is that you run out of money and options by then end. That is the intended way of losing; why would they agree to play monopoly if they weren’t prepared to lose (a 2/3 chance this case)?

Secondly, I believe they weren’t having fun specifically because they were losing, since they told me they were having fun in the beginning and middle of the game. If I were losing, I would finish the game out of mutual respect for the other players and so that the winner would get the benefits of winning (bragging rights and satisfaction of actually winning a game).

By leaving the game early, they rob the winner(me in this case) of that satisfaction. I didn’t actually win monopoly; I won by default because the other players forfeited. Leaving early in literally any other game is considered rude and unsportsmanlike, so why does this get a pass.

I think it was a selfish thing to do, even when 2/3 players were not having fun anymore. After all, most games only have one winner, and all three of us agreed to play the game.

Additionally the effort it would take to play out the last remaining rounds in minimal at most considering the game would move faster after a player is eliminated. I think it’s a common courtesy, but I’m not sure, aita?

Edit: there’s a lot of talk about the time spent playing and arguing but that is missing the point. We were all happy to spend that time playing, we were all aware of how long the game takes. It takes two to argue (3 in this case). Just because we spent a long time arguing doesn’t instantly make me the rear end in a top hat. I felt wronged and I wouldn’t have done what they did if I were in their shoes.

Edit 2: I believe there is a principal difference in winning a game by its intended way, and winning by forfeit. When you win a game by getting a checkmate or defeating all the enemies, and owning all the property, I believe the winner gets the satisfaction of a full game played and won to completion. I don’t believe this is the same as the opponent forfeiting, as they could concede for a variety of reasons.

If a player has a doctors appointment and has to leave, and they forfeit as a result, that win is far less fulfilling than an actual win. If someone forfeits just because they are upset about not winning, then they are a sore loser. If someone forfeits because they believe they will lose, even when the game has a formal process to end itself and determine the winner, then they weren’t actually interested in playing they game, they were interested in only winning - which is what I have a problem with.

Edit 3: I will not engage with replies that choose to insult me over a game of monopoly. It’s just a game guys, right?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Some people have pretty weird ideas about forfeiting a game, I had a friend in the past argue with me that it's a bad thing to do even if both players agree that the game is no longer enjoyable and that the winner is obvious; they mellowed out on this but it was a big argument at the time and they got really mad about it (related: if you must play Terraforming Mars, especially don't play it 2p)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The superior move is threatening to resign in order to win a game. Through the Ages is truly the game of kings.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Magnetic North posted:

Okay, fess up, which one of you is this? Cross-post from the GBS r/relationships thread.

I don't think anyone in this thread would willingly play Monopoly.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I would sooner play Terraforming Mars.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nothin wrong with a little Monopoly if you follow the rules. Teach your kids the unfortunate realities of capitalism.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SettingSun posted:

Nothin wrong with a little Monopoly if you follow the rules. Teach your kids the unfortunate realities of capitalism.

"It seems like I rarely make decisions, almost none of my decisions matter, and the winner is chosen by elements completely out of any person's control"

:capitalism:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I wouldn't use it as a teaching tool. The bank never makes an error in your favor, there is no such thing as free parking, being in jail is extremely expensive, UBI does not exist... I can go on. Monopoly world is a relative utopia.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
more people should play go to learn resigning when a game is obviously lost is a good thing that lets you play more games

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Resigning in a 2p game should be more common and accepted. Less so in a multiplayer for a variety of reasons.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I regularly host board game nights with friends and frequently have strangers come up to my door because they think my house is a pub. But that's a whole other thing.

About a year ago a lady came up to my door asking if she could come in, because she regularly saw people playing boardgames and she wanted to play. I said she was welcome to join, but we were in the middle of a game right now so she might have to wait. Then she asked if we could play Monopoly next. When I said that we don't play Monopoly she had an extended rant about how I should put signs up to say that my house is not open to the public.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Quote-Unquote posted:

I regularly host board game nights with friends and frequently have strangers come up to my door because they think my house is a pub. But that's a whole other thing.

About a year ago a lady came up to my door asking if she could come in, because she regularly saw people playing boardgames and she wanted to play. I said she was welcome to join, but we were in the middle of a game right now so she might have to wait. Then she asked if we could play Monopoly next. When I said that we don't play Monopoly she had an extended rant about how I should put signs up to say that my house is not open to the public.

First of all, wtf lady. Second of all, what kind of house do you have that people frequently think it's a pub.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Morpheus posted:

First of all, wtf lady. Second of all, what kind of house do you have that people frequently think it's a pub.

I'm going to try to not doxx myself but my house does look like it might be a pub from the outside because it's a corner property with a patio area with a huge awning out front and bigass windows that let you see inside to the pool table and bar area (the pool table has a topper we use for board games). It used to be an off-licence (liquor store) 30 years ago and a lot of people remember that for some reason.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Quote-Unquote posted:

You say it's only open to publics who don't want to play ancient bad games

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

mikeycp posted:

You say it's only open to publics who don't want to play ancient bad games

Nah we play Talisman every few months when we just want to get drunk, roll dice and chat poo poo for 4 hours.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's just an old bad game. I'd also rather get drunk and play that than monopoly tbh

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
The advantage a four-dragging-hour game of Talisman has over a four-dragging-hour game of Monopoly is that the outcome of the Talisman game is not a forgone conclusion for 3.5 of those hours.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does Talisman have an equivalent house rule that became the rule for some (my) family whie playing monopoly of "pay fines to the middle of the board and get it all for landing on free parking"? I have a copy of Kingdom Hearts Talisman that i bought back when KH3 came out but never actually got to play it after all these years and i've never actually played OG Talisman.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

"No but I'll send over anyone who wants to play Monopoly to join you."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tekopo posted:

The superior move is threatening to resign in order to win a game. Through the Ages is truly the game of kings.

There was controversy in the MtG community recently when someone did this in a tournament.

Simplifying the situation: it was a four-player game, player A had a combo that could win the game immediately but needed player B's cards to still be in play to do it. B said "If you try to jus win the game with this, I'll just resign"; B would lose anyhow so resigning wouldn't cost B anything, but A wouldn't be able to immediately defeat C and D because B resigning would remove B's cards from the game and break the combo. Since B didn't want to lose and A didn't want to not get any value out of their combo, they negotiated and agreed that B wouldn't resign as long as A only used the combo to gain some advantage instead of going for the immediate win.

People got really mad about doing that in a tournament for prizes but I dunno, I feel like that kind of politicking is kind of what you get when you try to play a four-player free-for-all :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There was controversy in the MtG community recently when someone did this in a tournament.

Simplifying the situation: it was a four-player game, player A had a combo that could win the game immediately but needed player B's cards to still be in play to do it. B said "If you try to jus win the game with this, I'll just resign"; B would lose anyhow so resigning wouldn't cost B anything, but A wouldn't be able to immediately defeat C and D because B resigning would remove B's cards from the game and break the combo. Since B didn't want to lose and A didn't want to not get any value out of their combo, they negotiated and agreed that B wouldn't resign as long as A only used the combo to gain some advantage instead of going for the immediate win.

People got really mad about doing that in a tournament for prizes but I dunno, I feel like that kind of politicking is kind of what you get when you try to play a four-player free-for-all :shrug:

this is actually smart and should be lauded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's not King making if you're trying to not be dead