Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

bagrada posted:

Judging by my friend who duo'd the whole campaign with his wife then alternately showed it off to me and a couple others, the replay value is in stomping newbies because you remember where everything is and they are still stumbling around trying to figure out which threads to latch onto.

it's important to note the rulebook explicitly calls this out - "don't replay a scenario with new players" for that exact reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Board games still rule!

I played Gravwell for the first time (with 3 players) a couple of days ago and that was a really interesting experience. At least two of us thought we were 100% going to lose, but at the end, we were all right next to each other. Really cool game.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Stickman posted:

Since I moved to Hawai’i my non-flgs purchases have mostly been from Atomic Empire, initially because they’re the only online retailer to offer MM/CSI-level prices and free shipping (>$75) to Hawai’i/Alaska (and continue to do so despite all my $80 orders over the years). They’ve also had great support when there’s been issues, like sending a Arkham lcg pack separate priority when they didn’t receive the promised stock on time.

Mahalo for bringing them up, bradah! I've been looking for an alternative to the Bezos.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
There's a TG industry thread, i think they had some retailers posting in there? idk anymore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There's at least one person in the thread discord that works for a somewhat large TG retailer. Not sure what their forums name is though.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

interrodactyl posted:

There's still nothing I've found that quite replaces how good Space Alert is as a real-time co-op board game, but like other people have mentioned, I would love to know if there are other good board games like it.

Nothing quite lives up to Space Alert in this vein for me, but For Science had a similar feel for chaotic real-time games. It's been a hit with friends and is much easier to pick up than Space Alert.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is there any place to track good multiplayer board games for phones and tablets?
My friend and me are now getting bored of Epic which is pretty dang good

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

board games are fun

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I think someone mentioned this towards the end of the last thread, but So Clover is stupid fun. The concept sounded very dumb to me, but I was hooked after a single round. 70% Codenames, 30% jigsaw puzzle. Works at 3, but 4-6 is a nice sweet spot. One of those party games that has scoring, but no one really cares about. MSRP is $25 too, so not a big ask to give it a go.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 31, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bagrada posted:

Judging by my friend who duo'd the whole campaign with his wife then alternately showed it off to me and a couple others, the replay value is in stomping newbies because you remember where everything is and they are still stumbling around trying to figure out which threads to latch onto.

How ingenious, they found a way to add minis to Innovation.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Jedit posted:

How ingenious, they found a way to add minis to Innovation.

No, the innovation was when they added minis to Ingenious.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Radioactive Toy posted:

Nothing quite lives up to Space Alert in this vein for me, but For Science had a similar feel for chaotic real-time games. It's been a hit with friends and is much easier to pick up than Space Alert.

I just got my For Science! So keen to try it out, maybe tonight.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I added some rules explanation suggestions to the OP. Thanks to homullus who mentioned the oversight. Like the rest, it's skewing towards people very new to the hobby and presumably teaching others who are even newer. Let me know if there are any errors or suggestions.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Jedit posted:

I haven't played 1303, but from what I saw of it it stripped out too much. I was willing to go with the consensus opinion on that basis.

From the opinions I've heard, the things stripped out are only noticeable to people who have played the original a lot. It isn't like 1303 feels like it's "missing something" at all, and a streamlined version seems especially suited to the new audience that might be reading the OP. More importantly, Caylus is out of print, so 1303 should probably be the OP recommendation on that basis alone.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Viper915 posted:

From the opinions I've heard, the things stripped out are only noticeable to people who have played the original a lot. It isn't like 1303 feels like it's "missing something" at all, and a streamlined version seems especially suited to the new audience that might be reading the OP. More importantly, Caylus is out of print, so 1303 should probably be the OP recommendation on that basis alone.

The removals are incredibly noticeable - I'd say even if you'd played once, but certainly twice. I probably have <20 plays of Caylus and 1303 was never going to get a 2nd. A bit sad, as I did like the more-variable setup but that wasn't compensation for ruining everything to do with the castle.

Still, you are of course right that OP is stuck recommending the one in print.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I added some rules explanation suggestions to the OP. Thanks to homullus who mentioned the oversight. Like the rest, it's skewing towards people very new to the hobby and presumably teaching others who are even newer. Let me know if there are any errors or suggestions.

The OP was really good and I didn't mean to imply those were oversights, just "other things I've thought about" and I thought anyone reading the OP might read the rest of the first page. You did a really good job.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is Sushi Go out of print? I find both the base, non-party version to be a pretty good, quick game for non-gamers. Party benefits from having some board gaming experience under your belt IME.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

If you haven't already, I might suggest you consider Twilight Struggle for the two player games list. Possibly we're atypical, but we've enjoyed it for years, even as other games have come and gone.

e: Apologies if you were just soliciting points for the rules explanation section.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Azran posted:

Is Sushi Go out of print? I find both the base, non-party version to be a pretty good, quick game for non-gamers. Party benefits from having some board gaming experience under your belt IME.

I saw a bunch of them at Target just the other day, seems to be readily available

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

homullus posted:

The OP was really good and I didn't mean to imply those were oversights, just "other things I've thought about" and I thought anyone reading the OP might read the rest of the first page. You did a really good job.

No no, it was a good suggestion and something I'd wanted to include and has missed in my haste. That was not meant to be a snide dig. Thank you.

Red Dad Redemption posted:

If you haven't already, I might suggest you consider Twilight Struggle for the two player games list. Possibly we're atypical, but we've enjoyed it for years, even as other games have come and gone.

e: Apologies if you were just soliciting points for the rules explanation section.

I am still open for suggestions, though PMs are probably better (for those that have it), especially since I might miss them churn by in the thread. What I don't know is: do goons still like Twilight Struggle? Or has it fallen off? I have actually never played but I believe it is still extremely highly regarded.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

do goons still like Twilight Struggle? Or has it fallen off? I have actually never played but I believe it is still extremely highly regarded.

I prefer Imperial Struggle to TS

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I used to really like TS and when the app for it came out, I binge played it. And binging through it really affected my enjoyment of the game in the negative. I now think it’s a very innovative design (for the time) with quite a few outright design issues.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What about 1989 then?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Slimy Hog posted:

I prefer Imperial Struggle to TS

Shores of Tripoli is a fantastic mini-Struggle too

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tekopo posted:

So I used to really like TS and when the app for it came out, I binge played it. And binging through it really affected my enjoyment of the game in the negative. I now think it’s a very innovative design (for the time) with quite a few outright design issues.

:same:

I think it's still pretty solid overall but it definitely has more rough edges than I'd like for how much time commitment it takes.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekopo posted:

This is 100% Terra Mystica for me..

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

SelenicMartian posted:

What about 1989 then?
1989 has more design issues that really prevented me from enjoying it from the onset. I generally dislike the way that country collapses are handled in it, mostly, because a weighted roll off is the worst way to deal with it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Any opinions on Tinners Trail? It got a spiffy new edition lately but is it good?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Any opinions on Tinners Trail? It got a spiffy new edition lately but is it good?

We bought based on a recommendation here in this thread. We have enjoyed it at 2,4 and 5 players.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This just in : 7 Wonders Duel is loving fantastic!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 1, 2022

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Got to play two more big Kickstarter games yesterday.

Unsettled
This is a co-op planetary exploration game. Going all-in on the ks gave me 6 different planets each with 3 objective decks. We played the A objective deck of the recommended starting planet as well as the A objective deck of Stratos, one of the max difficulty worlds.

It’s an action selection game where on your turn you’ll place your 3 markers in different available actions that will increase, or more likely decrease their value from between 0 to 3. The objective deck functions as a book with each card flipping to reveal what your last objective did and uncovering the next step of your adventure. Every objective deck will involve completing 3 tasks over the course of the game before you run out of endurance.

Both planets played out very differently. The first was a dense jungle where we needed to figure out what the local flora and fauna where like. The second planet was more of an asteroid belt and had the different map cards rotating and shifting throughout the game.

Neither planet was particularly hard, but the unique mechanics of each makes me want to experience all of the planets.

We also played Batman: The Animated Series

This is from IDW, and likely the last board game they will ever produce. We played the co-op mode and had Batman, Robin, Batgirl, and Commissioner Gordon facing off against Man Bat. It uses their AUGS, I think that’s what it’s called, system where each hero has 3 dice that they roll each turn. Each player will put those dice in whatever order they want and each die on the outside is shared with the the player in that direction. Since their was 2 of us playing, we each controlled 2 characters. The dice system was super easy to understand and lead to some nice coordination of giving adjacent characters the icons they needed to be more successful on their turns.

The game was quick to teach and play, but suffers a bit from having so many different modes. It can be played competitively in a couple different ways, cooperative, and solo with each mode having some rules tweaks leading to a their being a lot of tokens and an overly complex rulebook that made referencing information challenging.

The system was fun, and with all the Kickstarter extras you could setup whatever Batman animated universe matchup you could want, or even combine it with the TMNT game that uses the same system and have Leonardo and Batman fighting Mr.Freeze and Shredder.

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

So as a trans person that frequented a Gaming Goat location it was crazy to learn why they’re going through a pretty rapid rebranding from the new OP :stare:

Anyway I know the thread is generally pretty cool towards Eric Lang but I have really enjoyed what I’ve played so far of the Bloodborne board game as kind of a themed Gloomhaven-lite, and I grabbed Ankh as a holiday splurge. The rulebook seems pretty clear but doesn’t really give any strategy tips and honestly it’s been aaaages since my group has done anything competitive crunchier than Backgammon or Cloaked Cats - does anyone have any guidance so we’re not just picking our first few actions essentially randomly?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The Resistance Avalon is the only version of the game that comes with roles already included, right? Regular Resistance just has plot cards, and roles are in an expansion if I'm reading this right. Is there any preference in terms of what version to go for? I dig the dystopian, futuristic art of the regular game but roles seem a bit easier to teach/learn than plot cards.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Azran posted:

The Resistance Avalon is the only version of the game that comes with roles already included, right? Regular Resistance just has plot cards, and roles are in an expansion if I'm reading this right. Is there any preference in terms of what version to go for? I dig the dystopian, futuristic art of the regular game but roles seem a bit easier to teach/learn than plot cards.

That is correct, base Resistance is just spy/resistance. The Avalon roles are backported into Resistance in the Hidden Agenda expansion. I don't have a lot of experience with the second expansion Hostile Intent though.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I'd like to play Spirit Island solo in some digital format. It seems like there are at least three options:

Official game (relatively expensive, no Jagged Earth, but handles the rules automatically. No online multiplayer at the moment if I wanted to try that)
Tabletop Simulator (cheaper, scripted mod with Jagged Earth handles some of the rules, actively developed. I could also play other games in TTS)
Vassal (free, a module has Jagged Earth but not sure how well supported it is)

If you've tried any of these, how was your experience?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The automatization of the official game is pretty neat but there's no guarantee we're ever getting the rest of the expansions, yeah. I've played both the app and on TTS and both were good experiences, but as you said TTS is the one with the most content and it's cheaper. If you can handle stuff on your own then it'd be my recommendation.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Naar posted:

I'd like to play Spirit Island solo in some digital format. It seems like there are at least three options:

Official game (relatively expensive, no Jagged Earth, but handles the rules automatically. No online multiplayer at the moment if I wanted to try that)
Tabletop Simulator (cheaper, scripted mod with Jagged Earth handles some of the rules, actively developed. I could also play other games in TTS)
Vassal (free, a module has Jagged Earth but not sure how well supported it is)

If you've tried any of these, how was your experience?

Official is great. Multiplayer is in open beta but I haven't tried it yet, only recently have any of my friends gotten it. The full rules enforcement has pointed out many niche situations that I had played wrong despite hundreds of physical plays. We can hope that JE (and promo pack 2) will be added next.

I find TTS complete garbage in general but have not tried this mod. A lot of people do like it.

Vassal SI is OK, a bit finicky and you have to do a lot of window management to find the way you like to see things.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I've been playing the TTS mod titled Spirit Island - [By MJ & iakona] with a friend over discord the last few weeks. Normally I agree TTS is pretty garbage, however this mod is super well done. It automates setup and tracks a few resources, but the rest is manually controlled by the players. I wouldn't buy TTS only for this mod especially when a standalone version of the game is available.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My group does our online gaming on TTS so I'm used to its quirks and we've played a dozen Spirit Island games from 2-4 players with it with a few different mods. Some have more scripting than others. It's basically just like having the board game with a bit easier setup and cleanup. I think we currently use the same one as FACKER.

The official game enforces the rules so it's better for learning. But in our multiplayer beta games we had a few game ending bugs and desynchs that would have been easy fixes in TTS. Hopefully that will be mostly hashed out by the beta. Personally I'm still getting used to how it zooms through everything that doesn't require your input, especially event cards. I've only been playing it for a week so I'm sure i'll get used to it.

Haven't tried vassal.

Our usual host owns the physical game with everything from each kickstarter including some beautiful storage/organization trays that are unfortunately broken token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I usually find that TTS feels awful for playing fiddly games, but I had a better time playing Spirit Island than I expected.

I also liked the official program but it's currently flawed as mentioned.