Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks for the new thread! For a new year!

I will be covering Ark Nova, Bitoku, Squaring Circleville, Maracaibo the Uprising and Golem in the weeks ahead on my channel Mayveena https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXE8oeqRvAghCVHinyERXNw

I'm too cheap to buy real lighting for my videos so I have to wait until the sun shows up (I do add a little lighting as well). So Ark Nova will be covered probably in 10 days or so as I also have to wait for my editor to edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Acolyte! posted:

I have seen this attempted before (with a Watch it Played video, no less) and there was zero retention. It was very bad. A giant waste of time.

Yeah I watch them by myself and then translate so to speak.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I haven't gotten to play an 18xx f2f in over a year :(

Using Discord for audio (or video if you want/can set up) and 18xx.games is 90% of the way there as long as you do real time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mayday is owned by Mormons so no Mayday for me. Plus they've made some extremely stupid decisions in the past. A friend and I use Paladin sleeves at paladinsleeves.com, owned by Board & Dice., we really like them. They were on sale a few days ago, might want to check there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I would like to note that after the Alma Mater thread, Alexander Pfister changed course completely. As one of the biggest designers of European exploitation games, he has turned 180 degrees thankfully. He's re-doing Mombasa, the 2nd edition Great Western Trail now has Black engineers (anti historical yes, but when it comes to representation, having them there is important), the teepees as impediments are gone (replaced by outlaws which should have been there in the first place) and other small changes. He also is publishing Maracaibo the Uprising, featuring context in the Caribbean. Note that I am not anti colonial games, I am anti colonial games that have no context, so I'm fine with the expansion. His latest game Boonlake is mostly themeless, noting that there is a Western sci-fi vibe going on.

I also have noticed a much greater emphasis on diversity in the games of 2021. Coffee Traders features people of color from around the world. The Hunger has Black and other people of color featured in the game. Puerto Rico will be re-themed with appropriate context. As mentioned, Frosthaven is being developed with a cultural historian, as was Golem. While we can't claim that this things wouldn't have happened anyway, I think without us, I doubt it. As that stupid publisher showed so well, publishers thought their audience was white and so all they needed to care about was white people. I will alway hold that Alma Mater thread dear to my heart and the folks from SA who supported me from the first page, so awesome!!!

I would like to also let people know about some other behind the scenes changes that happened with BGG. Back in 2018 I told Scott Alden the owner (I have an acquaintance with him) that I would not watch any more Game Nights featuring all white players from Los Angeles California, one of the most ethnically diverse cities on the planet. So at the next local con I saw Lincoln and Nikki there, looking around. I don't know that they could figure out how to proceed but they hadn't been to a con in over a decade so I assumed my words got through to them. They were at the next con, where I introduced them to Candice, Jackie Chao of Show Me How to Win, and Monique of Before you Play (this was before they started the channel). All of them were then featured on Game Night and as you probably know, Candice went on to become a BGG staff member.

So speak up to BGG when you see something that bothers you. Report the racist, bigoted assholes you see there. Someone will look at it and act as appropriate. BGG is the center of our hobby and we need to keep working to make it an inclusive positive place for all who want to play board games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dancer posted:

At which point you can play sushi go party for 70% of the weight at 20% of the rules burden and time investment.

TM is way too shallow for how long it takes.

This is my main issue with it. As Ark Nova is similar in play style but is more substantial and doesn't appear to need drafting, it is the TM style game in my library. Some day my son will edit my Ark Nova video and I'll post a link here.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tabletop Simulator banning people for saying they are gay or trans in global chat because global chat is to be 'family friendly'

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kBMorbq59Izsu5gYA1B3pQfbyoaG102_p0pEWZx4Hk/mobilebasic

So mad I forgot to say gently caress THAT poo poo. No more TTS for me

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 8, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

I've left a review explaining this. With your permission, I'll borrow your document and add it.

Absolutely!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

TTS response

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/camo/c57537f52df75dcd040f91a2f0eec5b0e5dfd132/68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f346b707379474c2e706e67

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orange DeviI posted:

Damage control

They had to do something. The situation was ridiculous.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Their discord is a trash fire full of bigotry that is never banned by the same mods that banned the op for stating their identity. They are still a mod too. I think that says a lot.

Agreed they at least should have fired that mod. As it is, I'm going to have to be satisfied with the statement they made, as in person gaming isn't happening for my next podcast on Bitoku and we didn't finish the first session of Bitoku.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree that BGG moderation is admirable but the BGG user base is still pretty awful. Any thread dealing with social issues is filled with garbage that has to be moderated to the point that I think the community still sucks even if the site owners have tried to make it better. I have zero interest in being part of that community until those lovely people aren't.

They have banned a ton of people from BGG and they want lovely people reported every time. Unfortunately while they have a special space for women and the LGBTQ community, they haven't been able to find anyone who would moderate a people of color community, because as you can imagine, it'd need to be a 24/7 job.

I think as a person of color that they have responded to me. I was the only Black person featured for two days during Black history month. I also would note that Alma Mater has been on sale at several retailers, unlike the publisher's previous game, Coimbra. I've had many people tell me that they were going to buy Alma Mater and didn't because of my thread. There are a host of games that I played in 2021 that did have acceptable or better representation, and I'd like to think that it was because of the thread that we at Something Awful supported.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orange DeviI posted:

Actually list some concrete steps they’re going to take, for one. But they don’t actually care, they just dislike the community backlash

That's true of nearly every capitalist business. But that's why there has to be a backlash. At the end of the day, a company is a bunch of numbers on a spreadsheet. and we have to be sure that those numbers go down if the company can't be responsible to the community and responsive to community concerns.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Defenistrator posted:

Thanks for this post, it's very helpful and good catch-up on BGG history. I'm still gonna be a long while before I am active on BGG. With the items you posted, it's disheartening to see how the "improvements" show what little effect a POC voice has in the community over a WASP saviour. Is it really change if good things are happening but pretty much still excluding you in the process? Feels the same to me...

I don't know where this is coming from? What are your expectations that the community should be or look like?

E: they do listen to me. So let me know what you want.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 10, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

JoeRules posted:

Apparently they recently made their subreddit mod a Discord mod, and that person has been kicking rear end and taking names on the Discord (in a good way) for the last 24 hours. I also believe the mod responsible for the gross ban explanation has been removed as a mod, though that could simply be temporary since it seems to have been done silently.

It sounds like Berserk is appropriately working towards a solution based on that 2nd release, so I'm willing to see where they take it - but they've likely got another issue to address directly now that bigots are actively buying/positively reviewing TTS to show support - content warning: https://imgur.com/a/8HWaOzr. So whatever solution they come up with likely needs to include "and if you're a bigoted piece of poo poo that bought our game to spew hateful poo poo, gently caress off, we deleted your review, and we're donating all sales from this weekend to <insert LGBT charity here>."

Hopefully Steam will catch the review bombing and stop posting the reviews. Steam does have a process for that but it may only work for negative reviews? Unsure, I guess we'll be finding out shortly. I think I'll contact Steam and let them know this is going on.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

I've been fielding trade requests for my NIS AFFO since rumors of a complete edition started, but I only local trade/sell stuff that doesn't fit in a flat rate box

If you’re in the US be sure to use PirateShip to get the cheapest shipping rates as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I would be perfectly happy to never have Kickstarter mentioned in this thread until they relent from their nonsense, and possibly even after that. There is a perfectly nice TG crowdfunding thread which is honestly worth a follow for those inclined, since you can learn about goon projects and things outside of the algo.

As the OP of the thread (thanks again!!!) I'm sure you recognize we can't have a thread that doesn't discuss Kickstarters because like it or not, they are a very visible part of the hobby. We should refer new folks to the OP where we explain why we aren't fans of Kickstarters but to shut down all Kickstarter discussion would make the thread a lot less helpful to a lot of people.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Kinda? Like, if it's in people's grubby little hands, fine. But talking about the games you can't play for 18 months is actually kind of a drag since FOMO distracts us from the fact that there are so many great games you can play right now.

Besides, as OP, I don't believe I actually have any authority to dictate what's being said in here. Things like the catan joke being forbidden in the old thread was, I believe, a joke. If that is untrue, then I have some powers to start abusing I guess?

FOMO doesn’t necessarily distract everyone, that’s an opinion right? I’m not in anyway shape or form a supporter/frequent user of Kickstarter. I want to be able to keep recommending this thread for folks who watch my channel but I won’t do that if they come here to ask about a Kickstarter and get dumped on. As OP you are assumed to have some experience and depth of knowledge of what you are OP’ing about right? You don’t have dictatorial control, but your opinion could be thought of as more influential than someone like myself😀

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

To the degree that I can control it, I want this thread to be (among other things) more newbie friendly and less insular than some places in the trad game space, but it's still SA. Getting dunked on my some internet rear end in a top hat is just a risk they're going to have to take. :synthy:

SA must be SA, that's totally fine. Also I have a question for you all. One of the things that's obvious to me is that some of these board games (KS or not) use way too much plastic. It really irritates me and is kind of why I haven't sworn off of KS entirely. It feels like the extensive use of plastic is worse on the climate than what Kickstarter is doing. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

This feels like a poor attempt at a gotcha! question. Plus there's a whole other thread already dedicated to kickstarter stuff.

Link the thread please, I can't find it. And I have no idea what you're talking about with the gotcha! stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks. I’ll reference that if Kickstarter comes up,

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I don’t buy ‘deluxefied’ games or big box games. Board and Dices Origins First Builders came with no insert and no plastic pieces and I’m a happy camper. It did come with plastic bags but who knows maybe one day we’ll get cotton bags instead of plastic. When I and my friends first got into Euros the wooden pieces featured in so many of them is part of what made them attractive. And the publishers don’t seem to realize that as we see more and more plastic in Euro games. I’m very sad about that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

armorer posted:

I can understand not wanting to buy extra, unnecessary plastic, but also we're literally talking about toys here. Like, boardgames are our adult toys. I don't feel like I'm contributing to the demise of the planet when I buy Lego, for example. There's a big difference between some plastic bits in a box on my shelf that I'm going to get years of use and enjoyment from and the plastic that's used in a 20 oz Coke bottle (which I recycle btw).

I guess I'm saying I totally respect your avoidance of extra plastic bits, but it's not really a thing I personally feel guilty about in this hobby.

And one thing that board games have in common with Lego is that they get re-sold and re-used, reducing demand for new product. Yeah I realize that the hobby doesn't affect much in the scheme of things, but I keep having this visceral reaction to plastic in the ocean which sickens me and I want to do something about it. Rationally we can keep on keeping on, noting that our choices within this hobby don't amount to a lot regarding climate change.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

What's a better dexterity game?

NPI just did a video on them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aHYYpPolo

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Llyranor posted:

If you're cheap, go for Folded Space.

Otherwise I can't help you.

Folded Space is the only organizer system that I buy. Cheap and functional is all I ask.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I think it's a good thing that Tom has chosen Ark Nova as his new #1. As unpopular as he is with many in the thread including me, he's very influential in the hobby and it's positive to see him embrace a game that is way more modern of a board game than Cosmic Encounter. Ark Nova was not my #1 game of last year, Imperial Steam was.

Also for more of my thoughts on the game, watch my video (noting that my channel is not set up for marketing ie no need to like, comment or subscribe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHP9c3g5Te8

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I liked it even though you were at 69 likes, v sorry.

Of course folks can like and all, but I never ask people to do so because my channel is not going to make any $$, it's very niche and doesn't have all the professional touches you see in other videos but I think I have a small corner of folks who like my style.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Games have a tempo. For example an 1822 turn will in general take longer for a player than an Everdell turn. That's fine. It's when you are taking turns every turn that's out of sync with the rest of the players, then your turn length is becoming an issue.

And in my opinion trying to end a game because you are losing is selfish. Let people play the game out and be a kind person :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

It varies widely by group, person, and game.

I'd never demand someone in 1830 to sell down all their shares to barely survive instead of going bankrupt, for example, but I'd also not get mad if someone chose to do so instead.

I tend to go your route, myself, but I'd never begrudge someone hitting the game timer, whatever that timer may be.

Yes as a group decision absolutely. We rarely play out 1830 games because it's obvious who is going to win, and then yes, the group should concede and move on, we do that all the time. No, no one should have to struggle for hours through a poor train rush. To me that's on the table to deal with and be kind.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Eraflure posted:

If I feel I can't win anymore, I just play the last few rounds on autopilot and do whatever would give me the best chance to win the game, no matter how impossible it is. My friends know this is how I operate, so no hard feelings and no accusation of kingmaking.

Sure absolutely I do it myself. I do have someone who I occasionally game with and this person tries to end every game quickly because they never care about the game, only about the conversation around the table. This is rude to me, and I don't game with them often.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 4, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Glagha posted:

It kinda depends on the game and what kind of play but I usually get irritated whenever players in a game aren't playing to win. Like the most infuriating thing possible I saw from a player who I hated playing games with because he always did poo poo like this, was a guy who when he realized he probably couldn't win, decided to put all his effort into making one specific other player win instead. Like kingmaking is one thing and it's usually more the game's fault when a player who isn't in the race for victory is making a decision that decides who wins of the top players, but when someone deliberately torpedos the game it's a real dickhead move. I feel like rushing to end the game without regard for your own standing because you start losing is, at least potentially, kind of an rear end in a top hat move. It feels like the equivalent of "i'm losing so i'm flipping the table and don't wanna play anymore". Again it kinda depends on the game, but usually most games are designed under the implicit assumption that every player participating is attempting to win, and as soon as someone is pushing toward a different goal, suddenly the fun of the game can get ripped out from under it.

That person needs to re-attend kindergarten.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Is this what we all strive for???

https://twitter.com/gamesnplanes/status/1490092426370985988?s=21&fbclid=IwAR0lHT-PGMlDFlYnIxN-tEqepzoGiJmOT7c4MSQMQMgEr-0w3s6Xq3t4FLs

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

What are the hot 18XX games nowadays?

For me it's '40. Game Brain podcast loved '48 but I haven't tried it yet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The private money is a deal breaker for me so when I can finally get my copy to the table, the money won't be private.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Infinitum posted:

But the Private vs Public point knowledge is the best bit.

Maaaaaybe I'm doing really well, but maybe I've just bumped my fame tracker up and I'm broke AF :v:

Private money in our group just means the player we always play with memorizes what's in everyone's 'private' space and I especially don't/cannot. Not fun.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

It naturally progresses towards the end game but somehow still takes longer than TfM according to Reddit and BGG threads about the game.

At first yes, However as you learn more about how the game plays and make more efficient and effective plays, the play time will shorten. There's folks playing four player within 2 hours now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

So is the consensus then that Ark Nova is a Good Game and worth adding to my definitely not already crowded collection?

Depends on what you like :) If you like a low interactive, heavily thematic (for a Euro) type of a game (think Terraforming Mars without the bad game play) then yes. If you're looking for the next awesome 18xx game or a sequel to Food Chain Magnate, then no. If you have a progressive style view of zoos you might enjoy seeing that implemented, the game doesn't resemble California's Sea World in any way. It's considered relatively complex, noting that I don't find it so, but a lot of people have a different view of complexity than I do.

We're enjoying it. As I said in my video, it's not the game of year for me, that'd be Imperial Steam but it's a nice time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know if I want to do something like that based on one goon's individual experience. I'm trying to keep the negative stuff in the OP to stuff that is pretty well documented and broadly accepted to be true and backed up by proof like screenshots and links. I don't want to attest the truth or falsity of something that is outside of my grasp. For instance, it would be easy to add Seb McKinnon's recent meltdown into the OP (if it were relevant for board games) or to describe why people should avoid Golden Bell studios, both with numerous links and sources. I don't have to worry about potentially affirming something that is untrue because they are so well supported. This is not to minimize or de-legitimize your concern or your honesty, but you are just one voice on the internet.

Of course, this OP is here to serve the thread, not me. If people disagree and have persuasive ideas, I might be willing to change my mind on this.

Too many times the person who is complaining didn't follow a written set of instructions (which many times they don't mention at first) and then gets upset. I totally support your position that we should not discourage the use of retailers based on one person's experience.

Noting that (!!!) people should be aware that Game Nerdz has a policy of charging a 15% restocking fee on pre-order cancellations. This is illegal in the US and I've notified them of the court case where the FTC fought this same policy and won, but they do it anyway.

https://www.gamenerdz.com/shipping-returns

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Restocking fee on stock that doesn’t exist is a real big brain move Gamenerdz.

Hey see I did it too!!! The fee is charged when you mix an existing game in stock with a preorder. So if you let's say pre-ordered the Lost Ruins game and the expansion back in September and then decided you wanted to cancel the order then you'd be charged a 15% restock on Lost Ruins. Which like I said is illegal, it's not the consumer's problem that they physically move the product (not to mention it's a completely avoidable issue with a product system that isn't made in the 90's).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

HampHamp posted:

So one of my friends buys way too many board games to actually play, and then loans me random ones now and again when he runs out of space. Today's game was Too Many Bones, a game which I know nothing about. Huge box, component quality is lovely, looks like it could be fun!

Then I read the rulebook. Jesus christ this is, by far, the worst rulebook I've ever seen. Nothing flows, we tried the tutorial and then immediately had no clue what to do afterwards, it's an absolute mess.

Is it worth persevering and learning the game? I mean it seems like it could be fun but I've got better things to do than spend 4 hours googling random dice interactions.

I love the game but you have to decide if if it's worth it. Should be some decent video tutorials for the game. I agree the rule book is bad.