Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

More like bored games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CodfishCartographer posted:

Tragedy Looper may be my favorite game so Zendo sounds up my alley. Any other similar games that scratch that same sort of itch?

Psychic pizza deliverers go to the ghost town :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

See that was the problem with broken loose’s game and lack of funding. Should’ve designed the giant Megazord first as a centerpiece then designed the game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going to be really disappointed if Horseless Carriage doesn't have giant oversized wooden meeples for table presence

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gort posted:

Yeah, it was definitely a shame that they went from

to

The extra picture isn't necessary, but the cards are pretty dull with basically no art.

I'm glad Expanse board game used TV stills. Board games (and card games in general) need to come back to using live action pics for cards.

edit: Except for Klemens Franz art. Those are classics and will look good 100 years from now in the collection of some wasteland gamers's closet.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 3, 2022

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rosalie_A posted:

It's not even that, to be honest. A game usually has a stated objective to attempt to meet, and meeting that means winning. Typically a player's goal is that objective, even if it's not one they expect they'll meet. When that objective becomes impossible, of course they're going to come up with another goal, whether it's "do the best I can" or "see how silly I can make this setup" or "get revenge on the rear end in a top hat who put me out of contention" or, very commonly, "end the game as soon as possible".

People just need to understand that everyone has their own motivations going into a game, and they might not always seem rational to you because people often seem irrational. That's part of the fun, though: if you want mindless automatons to test your skill against with no emotion, there's no shortage of other options out there.

This is that gray area between different playstyles and an established meta with your local group.

Most people here will probably agree the latter isn't really enjoyable for things because that's when you have couples helping each other out, the one player that'll implode and take you down with them if you kick in their sandcastle, etc. It's pretty silly to have to expect that someone goes all in on you because they carried a grudge from their last game with you (which may be 5, 10, or however many games from you that you've since long forgotten).

It's reasonable to expect tabula rasa between each playthrough along with the social contract that you should be trying to win for yourself.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SuperKlaus posted:

Is even one of these Robotech-branded games I'm seeing at the store any good?

Robotech force of arms is good the 5-6 times I've played it. Though my friend who owns it and I haven't really done a deep dive into seeing if there are dominant strategies or if the balance of cards is lopsided, but haven't felt that way the times we have played it. At it's core you're bluffing forces on a 3x3 grid and the numerical strengths of cards were even iirc. It's only some of the special abilities that are different and you could play without those if you'd like, but that'll more or less make it an abstract.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ve had a great track record of great to milquetoast MWEs - I feel like I’m gonna be burned by either 1860 or 89 somehow.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think maskmen is still the best oink game, but scout is close. Really can’t beat the luchador masks… time to make a reskin

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow, Bus(2015) seems like a retro future mashup of Bus(1999) and Horseless Carriage(2022)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kerro posted:

Yeah apparently they've been storing copies in their own/their family's houses and can't justify storing that many copies any more. You can still order it direct from their website, but I dunno what shipping would be like since they're in Singapore.

Oh that’s a shame. Really good game, and I say that with one of my primary player counts being 3 (formerly, now it really is 3 due to the pandemic) and competing with triumph and tragedy and a couple others. So good in fact that my asymmetric, Ameritrash loving friends enjoy it as much as my euro loving friends.

I remember passing it over at a shop and a con since it looked like a typical euro with tracks from the box - didn’t read the description - but went in after a positive review here.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've found 6 to be optimal for Captain Sonar too. Everyone has enough to do or stretches a bit to fill their role.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You’ll need to buy one anyway for the new COB

https://gamefound.com/projects/draft/473gwur7hgbqttglibutwy0d6dr?ref=homepage-featured_5

At least two cubes, one for the stretch goals

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 8, 2022

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For JoCo I always gave the barebones overview with the choices you might have each turn. I don’t tend to explain the consequences and why you’d do all the actions since it’s pretty wasted on a learning game and people can figure it out on their own but that’s something the thread has disagreed with me about before.

Unless the final rules JoCo 2 are much different, each turn has a main procedure that you go through anyway including a lot of randomness and events players have no control over. Aside from maybe saying something short about how that this or that might influence the elephant’s movements or how the military/trade is doing in the colonies.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also, Cole himself drip-feeds his explanations throughout the game. When someone can do a thing, only then does he explain it in detail. It's a controversial tactic but it might be something to consider.

Oh huh didn’t know that. Feel it’s the best approach but I don’t even explain in detail. It’s a learning game, more people shouldn’t get hung up on it. Pull some levers.

There is that argument that for a lot of people, they play games so infrequently or have so many games that they feel they have to do well since they might only get to play the game again in 2 years, but that’s a collection and attitude towards learning game problem.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snooze Cruise posted:

Where are the queen making games >:(

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41066/virgin-queen

It’s a good game, shame about the pandemic and large groups though

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone seen prototypes of horseless carriage yet? Supposed to be out late this year :v:. I'm hoping they go back to Roads&Boats style, though I anticipate it'll look more like FCM with period-accurate art.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

No, and I think I recall someone screaming on the BGG forums about how awful it is they by request opened preorders but haven't given any actual preview info.

I would pay more for R&B art, but would pay less if it was in that giant plank of a box.

FirstAidKite posted:

If you think about, technically all cards come already sleeved until you remove the packaging.

That's why I like to keep my games sealed and only play with friends' copies

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

It was at the Gathering. Candice Harris played it and really enjoyed it, said it reminded her a little of Automobile, one of my favorite games.

Did they mention anything about the aesthetics or was it just a plain prototype? Automobile sounds good, that’s the best Wallace

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Now show us the $1000 set of custom poker chips for train games too :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The components should complement and enhance the aesthetic of the game. Terra mystics made of wood while Gaia project is made of plastic, for example. And yeah NT and guns of Gettysburg being wooden blocks on a map is just the best.

Background music is fine but it should just be for vibing. One day I’ll get a real gamer RGB table though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Need to implement that grab your privates line. I do have a wooden whistle here somewhere but lol covid.

I’ve actually upgraded my Inis set to use wooden cubes and discs for towns. Looks much better and fits the aesthetic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

GWT 2nd - Mostly the same with some slight changes mechanically (exchange tokens are a nice boost when needed) and thematically (thankfully). Playing on BGA has made me realize that I do still like the game but not enough to deal with doing the setup and all again. 3/5

Wanted to add to this:

I've only ever played GWT on BGA and didn't remember until halfway through the first game that this was the game where the 1e had teepees and "trading" where the bandits are. The bandits fit the theme so much better that I didn't know until I had asked a question about it.

Also, I don't know how the game looks on the board with the white (heh) player but pro-tip use the white to purple setting on BGA. Makes the board so much easier to see since the neutral buildings are some sort of cream/beige color.

Otherwise, decent game and I like the tempo control but would still say with the interaction involved, Trajan is still better. Don't think the shared rondel interaction adds enough to replace the removal of other points of interaction and racing elsewhere. Shared rondel might be influenced too much by the initial player order anyway, but I do like that they let you choose your initial starting position.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impermanent posted:

i do kind of blame everything i don't like in root on leder and I try not to let those get in the way of, like, recommending the game to people because a lot of people LOVE the little vagabond bastard and don't play competitively enough that it is an Issue. But. I would love to have seen a version of root that was just Wehrle's furry fantasy themed asymmetric warfare simulator without a bunch of "wackiness" sprinkled across it.

Like the Vagabond is such a novelty figure. very "And you don't even have to be a faction! You can just be a guy!" that is maybe the perfect kind of thing to snag a certain kind of Gamer but it's just very frustrating. I see the same sort of shallowness in how the crows operate, although I think they fit better than the vagabond does.

That’s the same frustration I have with it too, and with no big surprise, the wackiness and extreme asymmetry bordering on multiplayer solitaire in Vast.

I think for the foreseeable future you’re limited to Pax Pamir 2…unless the US expansion/ train tycoon game in development is released a lot sooner than expected.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A cute animeeple game that might be compelling?!

Hot drat, please don’t be NYZ or raccoon tycoon or llama land. But who am I kidding, it’s an Uwe game.

I’m still going to be hyped and let down later.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

girl dick energy posted:

The worst thing about Chaos in the Old World is that it's guaranteed to summon two different kinds of people when you mention it: Elitists who say you should play "a real COIN game", and Warhammer 40k fans.

I'm not sure which is worse.

There's this 40k fan who has seen my friends and I play forbidden stars at the LGS, and I keep dodging them cuz otherwise they'll keep talking on and on about the lore

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Old Swerdlow posted:

I felt motivated this week finally to make a Pokemon TCG re-theme of Love Letter Premium. The most annoying part of the process was figuring out how to paint the 26 poke ball tokens that I 3d printed. I also have close to zero experience with photoshop-like programs so that was a bit of fun learning that as well. I made the cards through https://pokecardmaker.net/ and then threw them up onto a layout file I found on Deviant art.

It was a lot of fun figuring out and picking a thematic pokemon for each role in the game.

Here's a link to the files if anyone else wants to print a copy of their own.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v9KGTGnzHsrJdWqFFk_YFNrAggmRwmZb?usp=sharing

Wow that’s fantastic and I love the deck box to go with it. Thanks for sharing the files. How are you finding the balls? It looks like they’re purely spherical so I’d have concerns over them rolling off the table.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magnetic North posted:

Blood on the Well-Appointed GWR 1901 with Dining Car, goons would be all over it.

Hhhhnnnng need this, where’s our murder mystery train game :mad:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pueblo preview is up. Most hyped I’ve been in about a game for a while:

https://gamefound.com/projects/mojito-studios/pueblo#/section/project-story

Check out those meeps and cubes!!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played a few games of first rat over the last couple weeks at 2-3P.

First rat has surprised me with how interesting it is. It's compelling, not to the degree of an evergreen, but decent enough. The low setup time, tempo consideration, and basic strategic considerations of more rats and efficient turns vs. faster cheevos depending on the board layout makes it interesting. Probably a game that'll wear itself out in a few more plays, but that's something I haven't said about a light euro in years.

The choice of animeeples, cubes and chonky cardboard with more creative tracks - which aren't even status tracks but tempo tracks as well - elevates it over milquetoast euros in recent years.

I want to compare it to Trajan or Tokaido for tempo, except everyone is symmetrical. It definitely feels like a turn-based RFTG in terms of speed.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 11, 2022

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

The worst deckbuilder I ever played was the aforementioned DC Deckbuilding game. It built on all the bad design choices that Ascension contributed to the genre but made them even worse. I think the worst design decisions that it made was that pretty much every card gives you points and that the cards with the most powerful effects give the most points. So basically if your turn is crappy due to your draw you either have to make your deck worse in order to keep getting points or just not get points, which means that you are behind the curve. Meanwhile sometimes gets a lucky draw that allows them to pick up one of the big villains (there is a stack of big villains that you can defeat, defeating all of them ends the game), and along with a ton of points you also get a really powerful ability, thus accelerating your deck and making it more likely to keep winning. I'm not sure if DC Deckbuilder had a split economy but since it took inspiration from Ascension, it probably did.

Like if I had to point to a deckbuilder that got every single lesson wrong, and just didn't understand how deckbuilding is meant to work mechanically, DC Deckbuilder would be it.

If you want all the worst parts of DC deckbuilding plus the worst part of coop from the old Marvel deckbuilding game, there's Helionox.

On top of the market row, you are assigned a character with abilities. One character has the ability to trash and I don't recall trashing being available as a native mechanic of the game. IIRC there were a couple cards that let you do it? Sure hope so, and hope it comes up for you, would be a shame otherwise. Did you say you also wanted random events assigned to players on top of that? You've got it! Movement and pickup and deliver constrained by your available cards? Sure!

It seems like there's a reason its capability for solo play is a feature mentioned in more positive reviews.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want a deckbuilder+ that lets you build your deck to affect an area like in el grande. Substitute the known values of cards with some sort of deckbuilding that lets you alter the values in the deck as well as potential effects, so it would combine the bid, internal movement from province to court, and any side effects from the power cards all in one. Which I assume would come from playing your hand of cards.

Communal market with diverging tech coming from player choices, of course. None of that market row.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you want something new that is also old, tried and proven, get on the hype squad for Pueblo and Triomphe à Marengo

adnam posted:

Don't forget there are people like me who are perpetually behind the curve
Spent a cool $200 on recommendations from this thread after never getting beyond the Catan rung of the hobby. Jaipur, Spirit Island, Dominion for a few of 'em.

This is the pro play. Tried and tested designs, replayable until the day your Kallax shelf collapses

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Battleship but uh I have not heard it's good...

There's plenty of books with go or chess as the backdrop, of course.

That Queens Gambit show I think I heard was decent?

Some fun manga/anime about go, mahjong. At least one has a boardgame club which included Irish gauge in one scene.

This, Queens Gambit is great and Battleship is actually good and has multi track drifting

I need to catch up to after school dice club. Last time I read it was years ago and it looks like there's been some new chapters recently.

What we need, unless it's something that exists that idk about, is nichijou girl/boy version but expressed through board games. Would greatly enjoy seeing shenanigans and plotting for diplomacy, joco, and calculation scenes revolving around euros. Knizia games would be v dramatic

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 23, 2022

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hexwren posted:

as an adjunct to my last post, I also wish I intuitively understood the language of card games; there's a lot of text out there that expects the reader doesn't need the actual flow of play explained when it starts talking about being in the trick-taking family or bidding or whathaveyou

I'm okay once I have the rules explained to me but I do inevitably need the rules explained like I'm a child, and without jargon

Yeah they definitely have their own jargon. What’s funny is that maskmen and other trick takers/shedders coming from JP all have a little blurb about the definitions of trick/round/trump. My US copy of wizard just uses the terms

It happens in regular designer board games too. I’ve had to catch myself using the words worker placement among a crowd who’d come to board game night with their copy of CAH and have to come up with a generic description on the spot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

girl dick energy posted:

More Gloomhaven video game trip report: Getting mollywhopped by a difficult encounter doesn't feel nearly as bad in this version when setting up to give it another go is as quick as clicking "retry" or "return to Gloomhaven", instead of 15 minutes of set-up/teardown, and the game flows much better in general. It almost feels like this is the game as it was meant to be and the board game is a clunky-but-faithful adaptation.

Edit: Big shout-out to the modding support, and incorporating a ton of common house rules as optional rules you can toggle on or off (including the ever-loved 'summoned monsters still drop gold').

My friends and I have sunk 108h to play one complete campaign on steam. This number of course includes both doing missions and discussing equipment, etc. in between. We created elaborate backstories for our characters and the guild over time because we could focus on that instead of setting up, tearing down, and trying to figure out monster AI.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I still want to try scooby doo betrayal given the understanding and in spite of all the awful mechanics and criticisms, because the wacky theme will help. I still wish it was faster than it is, and I try to implement a limited rule reading time after the haunt starts. Telling a single player not to participate for even 5 minutes is too much, and I've had groups who liked to plan everything perfectly beforehand which took 10-15 min.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have to refamiliarize myself with 1862’s rules again cuz I have a feeling the other attendant who is supposed to come will flake, so I’m limited to a 2-3P train game.

Still, can’t really say I’m sad. 62’s fantastic and the train rush is wildly similar to 49. Except it feels like it’s more measured, but exciting, and not the steep climb into wild depravity that is 49.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

For some reason I thought this thread was cool on 62? I really like 49 minus how fiddly it felt with the track gauges, have to get it on the table again with willing victims. All I play lately is 18MEX, which I love, but would not mind mixing it up.

Ah drat I meant 60. 62 is the cursed one with all the chrome

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magnetic North posted:

The dislike for many popular games around these parts are equal portions "it being honestly overhyped" and "I'm too-cool-for-school" snobbery.

Lack of interaction and just more compelling games (nebulous term, but essentially using the same mechanics for greater interaction) is what I've frequently posted or seen. The thing about milquetoast euros is that there's never any hunger to play them compared to Knizia tile layers or 18xx or abstracts like square on sale. Nothing that's exciting like playing better or imagining a better move as a thought that you carry into the next game. They're just mid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

When I went to Spain a few years ago, there was this nice board game shop that had all these neat euro versions of games. The good T&E with wooden bits cheap for $20, super meeple Tikal before the reprint, all sorts of stuff I couldn’t bring back due to space constraints.

I bought the non anime version of that one board game based on Higurashi. They didn’t have the vaporwave Spanish version of RFTG. Said it was in between print runs :negative: