Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

FulsomFrank posted:

That said, I've seen some blowups over the most anodyne and hilarious poo poo including a friend losing it on his wife when she outbid him on the winter tile he had been working toward in Keyflower. Not exactly invading someone's home system in TI:4 is it?

No, it's a thousand times worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

Ark Nova: "Animals on Mars". I think this is probably the weakest of the trio though, and the moving parts of it aren't as interesting as either Underwater Cities or even Terraforming Mars. Although it attempts to foster competition, most of it is focused on being the first to score a specific card. The only other competition is picking stuff up before your opponent. I kinda liked making my own little zoo and placing animals there, but picking up (mostly randomly) cards from a huge deck, that you might not even completely go through in any given game, really unbalances the game for me and means that getting the right thing is not a matter of skill most of the time, but just luck. I enjoyed some of the moving parts of the game but overall the decided randomness of the game makes it even worse than TfM IMO.

This is from a few pages back now but I'm glad you posted this because I've played Ark Nova twice and I didn't like it at all, and all the other opinions on it seem to be very positive. I felt like I was going crazy. I'm always suspicious of single-deck games anyway, but this one where you only get to see a few cards at a time and the individual cards can be very impactful was particularly bad, it felt like I had very little control over what happened and basically no ability to form a strategy, all I could do was play the best card in my hand and hope I drew other cards that went with it. At least the theme is nice.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

I just dislike situations where I can't meaningfully compete with my opponents along with having a semi-solitaire game. I also feel like the game can be crippling if you just don't draw exactly what you need, although this might be an issue more with playing the two player version. For example, there was a "Predator" scoring card, and I was stuck on it because I think I had 4 out of 5 (iirc) predator symbols that I needed to score it (the first two slots had already been taken, one by a player, one by the 2P rules), and I kept trying to draw just one extra predator in order to score it. In the end, I was unable to. I tried to pivot by using what I had in my hand, but that's a huge chunk of points that were out of my control simply because I didn't draw well or nothing popped up in the market row (or got sniped before I could get it).

I had a similar situation, where early on the game i had the choice to score a card for either 2 predator or 2 Europe animals, and i went for Europe because I had something down which rewarded me for playing predators, I figured I'd prioritise those and try to score a higher level on the predator card. Then over the course of the rest of the game i draw 1 predator card and several Europe cards, so i couldn't score the high level of predators because I didn't have enough animals, and couldn't score the high level of Europe because I'd already locked myself out by scoring the first level. What seemed to be a fairly arbitrary decision early on cost me a bunch of points at the end in a way that I don't think was really possible to foresee.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've played a couple of runs of StS on Tabletop Sim, and it's a great translation but as said it does take a long time - we ended up doing the full three acts over two sessions and it was probably 5-6 hours in total. The co-op elements are few but they do make a difference, and you can build your decks to take advantage of the fact that one player can block for the whole team and have the others be a bit more glass cannony, but overall you'll have to decide whether it's enough better than the digital version given the length. Also bear in mind that stuff like setting up fights is scripted on TTS so there's no digging around in decks for cards, so the tabletop version will be even longer.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I made a version out of some poker chips i got off ebay and it's held up for several years.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sega Dreamcast posted:

This sounds like you could make a super portable version of it that way, moreso than it already is.

Got any pics?

Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/sfUa4NO

I used to have a tiny deck of cards I jammed in the white chip slot as well which is why there's space in there, I'm not sure what happened to it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I have a vague memory of someone posting here about escape room jigsaw puzzles, I'm looking for recommendations for Christmas gifts. I've done a quick google and it looks like Ravensburger have a line but I thought there were some from one of the escape room in a box publishers.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Morpheus posted:

The Escape Room: The Game puzzles (Secret of the Scientist, as well as The Baron, The Witch, and the Thief) are quite good, far better than the mainline series of their games are. Each jigsaw is a room that you put together, then solve a puzzle in using the game's twisty dial system to find the next puzzle, then add it to a growing blueprint of rooms while progressing the story. I quite liked them. The Exit ones are pretty good, as you solve a bunch of larger jigsaw images that are pretty nice, each with a bunch of escape room puzzles within them - recently did Nightfall Manor and liked it.

The Ravensburg puzzles are tougher, both due to the nature of the jigsaws (that is, one large puzzle rather than a few smaller ones) and because the riddles themselves are vague - you're not quite certain what you're supposed to be solving a lot of the time. But in the end you end up putting together a miniature jigsaw puzzle from existing pieces, which I liked. One big issue we had was that often the art was so dark, making it real hard to notice some clues.

Anyway those are the ones I've tried.

Honestly though I've had fun with all of them, each with their own flaws and standout features. My favourites are probably the Escape Room Game ones, due to the storylines, the little self-contained jigsaws and their riddles, the maps you make, and crucially, the fact that we can take it apart easily and give it to a friend (which is tougher with the Exit ones, where sometimes you have to cut or fold stuff).

Thanks for the post, the Escape Room ones sound like a good starting point.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played Galaxy Trucker last night and I'm still riding the high of it.

A question came up from the Evil Machinations cards which we hadn't used before - if they tell you to pay, is it like losing tiles at the end of the flight where you pay as much as you can until you go to $0, or are you forced to take a loan? This came from looking at two cards, where the first was pay $7 or lose a tile (we agreed that if you didn't/couldn't pay you would lose the tile) and one where you have to pay $x based on your most common component but without a penalty if you didn't (we ruled the other way, pay as much as you can). I didn't want to spend too much time looking it up and it's not my copy so I can't check now, does anyone know that ruling?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Aramoro posted:

Red Rising

I just wanted to say I played Red Rising (i like the books) and it involves having a shared set of cards on a central board which everyone needs to be able to see, in the middle of which you're supposed to put the supply container for currency. So it blocks the view of the cards on either side from players across the table. I couldn't believe it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

DropTheAnvil posted:

I have had teaching games where people want to resign mid-game. Usually its either the game is too much, or their AP is getting in the way of their enjoyment.

I'm almost at the point where i feel a teaching game shouldn't actually go all the way to the end, or should set a point in advance where the players can decide if they want to continue or restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Yeah there's 9 new leaders, no overlap with the base game.