Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I have no idea how 6p Spirit Island can even be playable. It is very dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

If I was learning from scratch it would be 1830 or 89. Problem is 1830 is way to long for an intro game, but it does feels pure. If you can convince your group to survive one or two games of 30 it'll all click into place.

Novelty option is MS, fixed ORs so it doesn't drag.

Or hit up the train channel in the Discord for a game of 1889 on 18xx.games

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Someone recommend me some more cool card games like 6nimmt that play 6 or even more players.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I mean it's insular in the way any community that has been absorbing 20+ years of esoteric hobby knowledge would be. When newbies come in and ask for recommendations I think generally they receive positive good faith answers. Thanks for the card game recs people. Gonna force my friends to play beans while I wait for No Thanks! to come.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I honestly thought the suggest Chinese games was a poo poo post for some reason. There is a P500 for a Chinese COIN game https://www.gmtgames.com/p-830-chinas-war-1937-1941.aspx

And the now out of print An Infamous Traffic. Not exactly a happy period of history but there you go.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Is it digitised on the internet anywhere? I'm kind of curious what it says but all I can find by searching are oblique references to what it said but not the actual text.

This was in my twitter feed. Hi Edward?

https://twitter.com/HeavyCardboard/status/1508894658470027276?t=oYwr9dmjekaRJcDDixZDCA&s=19

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Countblanc gets it. Dice Duels loving owns hard

This sounds neat. Is it kinda like Captain Sonar? What's the overlap like with that?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The cards are on Jinteki, the online Netrunner platform.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Space Cats Peace Turtles have podcast episodes for each Ti4 race.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Complex games are never gonna hit full stride in the first session. Badger the players to read the rules or find and send them a decent YouTube run-down before the session. Sure maybe only one of them will do it, but that will be someone else to help roll things along.

Budget time for a longer gaming session, kill the game after one turn and start again once everyone has a feel for the flow. Or just accept that you'll need to play it again, and try to play it next session.

Are you playing online? That's gonna be even harder.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I really like Eclipse 1e but no way can I justify 2e at that price. I know it comes with fancy trays, but dang. It's a fun game though. The wonky exploration phase allowing you to wall yourself off is probably my least favourite part.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Ha this is how my group plays random titles on 18xx.games. Till you get halfway through a game and realise you can lay double track, or towns are free stops.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I think Oath is a cool game but its obvious Leder games are looking for another Root not another Oath with ARCS.

Oath was definitely a Wehrle passion project and I'm not sure Cole will get another crack at one of those unless he publishes it himself like JoCo 2e.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

medchem posted:

This sounds like a mechanism for a pick up and deliver Splotter game.

Worker Placement game where a percentage of your workers are unionised.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

This thread never fails to entertain.

Has anyone run The Republic of Rome in the last 10 years. How did it go? Gonna dust off my copy I have only played once and run it for a birthday long session.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Very cool, have you heard about the Cuban revolution?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

VideoGames posted:

From my outside perspective there is friction due to unresolved issues and I would like to help resolve them. It might be something simple, it might be something complex, but if we can fix it then it is worth it.

Next time a segment of seasoned thread posters highlight other poster(s) in the thread acting in bad faith and making GBS threads the place up, crying out for basic moderation, you can just provide it instead of sending in a conscientious newbie with 6 hour ban privilege. Good fix.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

A teaching video with Cole Wehrle is about as good as it gets even if it is HC content. https://youtu.be/V-ji--dxeu4

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

This is a good thing.

edit: eh the HC thing is old news. Not an Edward fan and the early stuff with Amanda left a bad taste in my mouth. It's history now. Making money from board game content seems like a massive stressful grind and I don't envy anyone who does so.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 18, 2022

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Your soul is complete. You are free from the cult of the new. You have refined and honed your tastes over years of gaming where you can now pick up a single game and get value out of it for a continued period of time. This is how my parents felt when the arbitrarily decided to stop absorbing new music and now I understand.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Always start with the flavour text from the first page of the rulebook. Bonus points if you read it in a really cheesy voice. Think: the start of Conan the Barbarian.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Keep posting, I haven't managed to get some of the more complex spirits out the box. Also I noticed recently GTG do some really high production Spirit overviews on their YouTube. https://youtu.be/JjBBNYXQb2I

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

No Thanks! And Wits & Wagers Vegas get a regular outing at 7 for us.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Not sure how different Horizons is but if you're playing difficulty 0 not much point commenting on balance.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

No I mean that the design philosophy balances the game against the mistakes it assumes the player will make in its goal of making it a noob friendly game

I see. I think that's pretty cool actually. Veteran SI players have the upcoming expansion to look forward to anyway. I haven't really seen Horizons sold to anyone but newbies other than the 'hey you can technically play with these easy spirits in the real game'.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Azran posted:

Are the cards waterproof?

Polyvinyl chloride is the world's third-most widely produced synthetic polymer of plastic (after polyethylene and polypropylene).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

People who spend all day hanging out at board game stores are weird units, who have essentially turned their hobby into their personality because they have no functional life outside of the hobby. Avoid.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The biggest draw in Oath is unpacking the world deck, and seeing how all these weird abilities might be leveraged to do cool crazy things.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

I think you're right though, the more you know the game the longer the deal hustling might take because even though you trade inexperience for knowledge, the better understanding of the rules/systems results in people having a better idea of the value of their offers and consequences, which can lead to more protracted negotiations.

Opposite for my games. It speeds up because you don't lose time making inconsequential deals. Who cares if my ship is in W or E ocean, not like you can control the storm die. You can just laugh at people who try and squeeze a pound out of you over pointless stuff and move on.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Stealing this phrase.

Got to play 1882 5P in the middle of the week, none who had played this one before (except me) and one who had never played any 18XX before but took to it like a duck to water.

You could have chosen a less mean title to play with noobs. Absolutely brutal game with the classic trap of not enough yellow cities to go around.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I always thought Wabash Cannonball was better. Though the new edition looks like a total dogs breakfast. Can't believe RGG got the rights to that one instead of Capstone.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

My toxic trait is that I would still find a way to try to min/max this

By making all the cities look like love hearts for a child's amusement like any good parent.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Hey 2 player wargame wifeguy I had a pretty good time playing Manoeuvre in your shoes, but as others said Sekigahara is 100% the game you want.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I mean don't we mostly play more niche titles that are unlikely to be counterfeit, or are there groups out there copying weirder games?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

https://steamforged.com/en-eu/blogs/brands/medici-returns-2024

There is another contender. They are adding characters for each player for some reason. The money track is more legible than the Grail edition at least.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

Did Vlaada take his Codenames money and gently caress off into the woods or something

CGE put out a video series about their process of game design. Vladda has an amazing brain and hopefully he will be back designing hobbyist games once his kids are a bit older.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

lunael1982 posted:

Hi!

Xmas is closing and is time think gifts for my children. I have 7 and 5 year old's who like board and card games. Our favorites currently are Ticket to ride (with easy homebrew rules), Dragomino and Uno. Any recommendations from parent's of similar age children? Usually we play in group of three but sometimes group of 4 or more. Thanks!

My kids like Azul (little hard for 5 year old), King of Tokyo and 6Nimmit. 8 year old and I have started playing Hive too.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Worldbreakers looks extremely my poo poo and I have no idea how I missed the original KS and then the expansion KS for it given I consider myself terminally board game online.

Annoyingly I backed another MTGlike Algomancy at a similar time which looks nowhere near as cool and is riddled with AI art but does have the advantage of more players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I cut the shrink wrap and unboxed my copy of Bifurcation the other day. Had mould growing on the inside of the box itself top and bottom. A BGG thread seems to indicate it's not an isolated thing, so if you have a copy in shrink might be worth popping it open and checking the box. Components are were fine.