Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jesus christ.

Also I have Puerto Rico on my shelf as my shameful reminder of the start of my euro gaming career. I remember raising a brow at that game even back in the day well before I became more conscious of hosed up poo poo in board games like drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

the holy poopacy posted:

So I know I'm super behind the times on this but we just started playing AffO after Christmas. I've never really followed AffO chat that closely but I have the impression that a lot of people talk about exploration being super high priority, and I'm kind of wondering what we're missing because we're just not seeing that so far. The highest scores we've seen always seem to come from vomiting out green & blue tiles to develop the home board ASAP and leisurely grabbing later islands to fill with overflow income; gunning for early islands always feels really really strong but then seems to come up short in the end. Having to keep going back to the mountains to get resources feels really painful in comparison to the bonus resources on the home board and it sucks filling in all those -1s from scratch instead of getting to do it organically as you build income. Granted, we've only just been playing the two of us and I can see how with 3-4 players you wouldn't want to get locked out of islands altogether, but from what we're seeing that still seems more like an expensive insurance policy than an improved engine.

Overall we're still really impressed with the game so far. Everyone talks about how much better and more balanced the expansion is but so far the game feels way more robust than I'd been led to expect. From what we're seeing the game resists being boiled down into an optimal strategy, victory seems to come down to being efficient and tactical with puzzle pieces and action spaces (and, admittedly, some amount of occupation card luck.)

The trick is that bonus tiles are really good and getting some early off an island can be huge. If you're getting free greens or blues every turn that lends itself well to filling up both islands and your home board. I'm far from the best AffO player in the world but my usual strategy usually involves covering up some home board early to get that mead and some silver, try to do the house+boat 3 Viking action, get an island, and maybe spend some silver on special tiles or start pillaging.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have no strong feelings on Ascension. I played it and Dominion roughly at the same time and in general prefer Dominion, but I like Ascension's little red jaggedy crystal pieces. I like colorful, chunky plastic components so that's always a plus

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I will offer one extremely tiny counterpoint, Puzzle Strike isn't going for a fighting game aesthetic, it's going for a Puzzle Fighter aesthetic which it's fairly that. But yes still, gently caress Sirlin.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I don't wanna bring back the KDM chat but the issue imo was always, not even pointing fingers here, people who are apologists for it in a actually the problematic elements in it don't exist, or only exist in side material, or exist but aren't that bad, etc. and misrepresenting people's valid criticisms of the game and act as if it's all puritan pearl clutching because people don't like the game that includes a (admittedly optional add on before anyone corrects me) tentacle monster surrounded by nude, pregnant women.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It kinda depends on the game and what kind of play but I usually get irritated whenever players in a game aren't playing to win. Like the most infuriating thing possible I saw from a player who I hated playing games with because he always did poo poo like this, was a guy who when he realized he probably couldn't win, decided to put all his effort into making one specific other player win instead. Like kingmaking is one thing and it's usually more the game's fault when a player who isn't in the race for victory is making a decision that decides who wins of the top players, but when someone deliberately torpedos the game it's a real dickhead move. I feel like rushing to end the game without regard for your own standing because you start losing is, at least potentially, kind of an rear end in a top hat move. It feels like the equivalent of "i'm losing so i'm flipping the table and don't wanna play anymore". Again it kinda depends on the game, but usually most games are designed under the implicit assumption that every player participating is attempting to win, and as soon as someone is pushing toward a different goal, suddenly the fun of the game can get ripped out from under it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The thing about Kickstarter is mostly just people not thinking of it like a preorder. You're funding a project that might fail or just not turn out his how you would have hoped. There's definitely good Kickstarter games but people are right to be skeptical of them because they just don't exist yet.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like board games and think they're fun. I played Camel Up this weekend and had a good time. I also played a Kickstarter game called Winterhaven Woods which was a less good time I think that game is bad but it's short and at least the art is pretty and the cards felt really nice

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can we just put Put Prada On Ignore in the OP or thread title so we can stop doing this.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3D printed board game accessories or where to look for them? I have a friend who wants to print a gift for me but I have no idea what I'd want that wouldn't be a massive undertaking and I'm not sure offhand of any game specific stuff I'd want to improve. I saw a more compact box for Splendor but that's about the only thing I found on my own.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I ended up asking for a feast for odin organizer because I saw one and was like drat this looks sick

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

FulsomFrank posted:

I want a 3D printer so badly because the sky is the limit afterwards but between initial start-up costs and finding the goddamn room to even put the bloody thing, I don't think it's feasible at this moment in time until we move forward with getting a bigger space. That said, our public library has a printer you can use for free that I should start taking advantage of. I haven't tried it personally but have heard good things from a friend who is slowly building inserts for some of his favourite games.

Lately I've just been doing Folded Space and buying trays/upgrade kits from the nice Polish fellows at Cubes4Me.

See the real pro strat is to simply get a friend who fell down a deep hole on 3D printing and starts selling poo poo on Etsy and whatever and now has a room full of a dozen different printers and dozens of spools of filament filling her basement.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I second A Feast for Odin, and add in Lost Ruins of Arnak as a game I enjoy solo, which it also has a web app assisted solo campaign and I think an actual solo mini expansion but none of those are strictly necessary.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hempuli posted:

What's the biggest, most game-affecting rule misread/fumble that you've done?

This wasn't my misread but years ago I was playing Alchemist with some college friends (notably, Alchemist, not Alchemists, the CGE game although I own both and it's not confusing at all) and there's a rule in that game that when you copy someone's potion recipe, you pay one ingredient from the recipe to the player who invented it, and the rest to the bank. Somehow, I have no idea how, my friend only heard the "pay one to the inventor" part and somehow thought that the cost of a potion was exactly one ingredient from the recipe paid to the player and nothing else. We weren't watching him that closely and just noticed halfway through the game that he was just ahead by a fuckload and were like "what the hell did you do?" followed by figuring out the mistake and wondering exactly how you can gently caress up a rule that obviously badly.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Aramoro posted:

Looks like I better hope no one starts talking about how they think Keyflower is good then.

I played Keyflower the other day and enjoyed it fite me irl.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno I had a fairly easy time teaching it when I played last, although the players in question were experienced board game players, I'm sure it'd be harder for a different audience.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You: This game is so complicated why do people like it.
Me: I like building a village. Ha ha funny meeples go brrrrr

Glagha fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 21, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I can enjoy a lot of games even with cheapass components looking at you Sidereal Confluence first edition. Paper money is usually my deal breaker though

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I kinda like terraforming mars and even then the card art is comically bad

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

jmzero posted:

hidden/simultaneous selection is a luck mechanism (despite what the Dave Sirlin hyper gamelords might think).

I mean it depends on how many options are available and how many trials you have in a particular game but I will die on the hill that simultaneous selection is like poker: skill based with variance, but it's not luck. I have no idea what this game is like though this is me going to bat for Yomi because Sirloin came up

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno about solved but I remember a big thing about A Few Acres Of Snow and the Halifax Hammer being a big dominant strategy that made the game one sided but I don't know anything about it

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Thirding that Fantasy Realms is a good filler game but the scoring app on the website is required because the math is otherwise very time consuming.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Consentacle is a game that I find the concept of very interesting and I think it's a cool thing but I also wish it was literally any other theme possible.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know it's funny Fog of Love came up because I have a friend who got Consentacle and the thing I brought up when we talked about it was oh yeah there's a similar game with a less embarrassing theme called Fog of Love.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay so I played Roll for the Galaxy and I wanna know if I'm crazy for liking Race more. I swear I've heard the common or at least acceptable opinion that Roll is better and I LIKE Roll I'd play it any time, but I feel like the game has some like, boring do nothing turn stuff to it where you spend dice only to get more dice back and nothing else. Trading and Stocking just feels really boring but it's also super necessary.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

jmzero posted:

There's also Point Salad, Ketchup Mechanism, Traitor Mechanic. Can't think of other really on-the-nose ones (maybe Take That? one of the "Roll/Role" pun names?)

Any others?

I think Worker Placement is also a worker placement game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Fate Accomplice posted:

I played Alchemists for the first and hopefully only time yesterday after owning it for years.

Cumbersome deduction mechanism, bland worker placement, required app usage, no thanks.

Your loss! It's kind of a hit for my current board game group, but I don't entirely disagree with your beefs. The deduction element isn't cumbersome IMO but it is dense and required and if your gaming group doesn't "get" logic deduction puzzles, they are going to have a very bad time. It's like, a worker placement game with a sudoku in it and you have to be able to logic that out or the game is just going to fall instantly flat. It's definitely a niche game IMO, I, and my current gaming group just happen to be the right group for it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

6 Nimmt is one of my "play this game with family" game go tos.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Do people actually like Rising Sun because I just had a deeply unpleasant first play of it. I thought I liked it because it wasn't calvinball loki card nonsense like Blood Rage but then the game went on like an hour too long and it felt like, again, the dudes on the map part of the game was completely irrelevant beyond just picking some dumb card nonsense that upends the entire game. I genuinely want to know why I'm like the only person I know of that doesn't like these games.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm torn on my board game stacking because I put my games in like a bookshelf but then the pieces all fall out of their organizers and I hate it but a lot of my games look better that way and I also don't want to crush the boxes

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

FulsomFrank posted:

It's been so long but what is the consensus on Blood Rage?

It seems popular and well loved but I hate it with a passion so the consensus is 0/10 burn it for heat hth.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Looking up Lost Worlds, today I learned that Queen's Blade spawned from licensing LW so they're indirectly responsible for an extremely horny anime franchise I guess.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jesus christ the instant they described the rule I knew I was about to see two people die on camera

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Everdell but the more I play it the more it feels like the worker placement bit is tacked on. You place so few workers in this worker placement game. Like, the placement is IMPORTANT but you make like what, 10 placements over the course of the entire game or something? (I don't remember I didn't count how many workers you actually get in the entire game)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

PRADA SLUT posted:

just like the best engine builder, galaxy trucker

Please, that's very clearly an engine placement game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This is technically more fighting game related than board game related but I just wanted to state for the record, gently caress David Sirlin.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Magnetic North posted:

That's been a tenet of these threads since before I was posting in TG. Did he do something specific recently?

He got anticipated turn-based fighting game Yomi Hustle pulled off of steam on a copyright violation. They're needing to change the name, even though Yomi is literally a word. Also a really interesting thing to pull after being "inspired" by that Dominion chip mod for Puzzle Strike.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Could also be trademark, I'll be real that I am speaking as a person who only vaguely understands the distinction.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, the issue is that Yomi Hustle is a game that looks like this:

Compared to his card game. I feel like the aesthetics are so different that I just don't think Yomi as a fighting game term is something you can just claim forever. Like the existence of Magic: The Gathering has not prevented games like Magic Maze or any other number of games with Magic in the title from existing but because someone has Yomi you can't have Yomi Hustle. There's even plenty of other video games with Yomi in the title, but I guess this one is also fighting game adjacent. Like, I get why he's got legal ground to stand on, but it's still horseshit. Whatever, they went ahead and changed the name to Your Only Move Is Hustle so what's done is done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jimbozig posted:

If someone released a board game called "Clank Hustle," my first thought would be that this is an expansion to or variation on the popular board game Clank. It absolutely makes sense that someone might think a game called Yomi Hustle might be an expansion/variant/sequel for Yomi.

I mean I don't get Bunny Kingdom confused with any other games called any variation on Kingdom, or any game containing Alchemist with the game Alchemists. Again, I get how trademark law works and this is just how it is, but I don't think anyone who is going to give a poo poo about Yomi or Yomi Hustle, even if you don't even care about or understand fighting games, could ever possibly confuse the two even at a glance, or would assume that one is directly related to another. Now if the game was called Yomi: Hustle, that would probably hold a lot more water for me.