Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Magnetic North posted:

So bear in mind, Zendo is not a narrative logic game. Instead, it is pure stateless abstract logic game, so it's almost closer to chess. Also, the master's relationship with the students is less antagonistic than in other one-versus-many games. The rules on on the Looney Labs website.

I do think this is one of the most important bits about Zendo: the Master isn't playing against the students at all. The game is structured as a competition among the students; there's no win or loss condition for the Master, and their goal in the game is to pick a rule that will allow the players to have fun and make sure not to make a mistake adjudicating something.

Magnetic North posted:

Also, only after typing all this out am I realizing that this game, particularly with the original printing's art (featured on the page above), is probably at least mildly orientalist by today's standards. So, take that as you see fit.

The new edition is themeless; they took out the Zen theming, with the exception of the name, and, I suppose, the titling of the GM as "the Master."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Spirit Island played asynchronously with simultaneous turns and no communication allowed would be incredibly funny. Impossible, but funny.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

On one hand, I like Puzzle Strike and think there's a lot of unique design work in it; it's not really fair to call it a ripoff of Dominion. I don't think anyone would be looking askance at its design were it not designed by a serial plagiarist.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Dominion would also work well in that format. It’s simple, deep, and different every time.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I always play as if the only result worth anything is first. I think it hurts games if people try to solidify a “strong second” position rather than aiming for first.

However, this does mean that I have a difficult time with games where a player can be knocked out of contention without being able to resign. On some level, the design of such games is unserious for leaving players in that position. Through the Ages deserves a lot of respect for including a way to bow out of a lost game, even if it can lead to some wonky behavior.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

rutibex loved dumb jank. it was an obviously wrong and inscrutable but charming preference.

it was fun to have a poster with incredibly bad opinions in the thread, to be honest. a pity about the abhorrent ones expressed elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

What I thought the challenge would be in Zendo: coming up with clever sculptures and incisive guesses unlikely to be disproven by the game master

What the challenge actually was: coming up with guesses not disproven by examples already on the table