Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, I moved to Las Vegas earlier this year and hadn't heard any of the news about The Gaming Goat until reading this new OP. Ooooooof glad I haven't actually bought anything there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tragedy Looper may be my favorite game so Zendo sounds up my alley. Any other similar games that scratch that same sort of itch?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Countblanc posted:

My favourite 8 player game by a huge margin is Space Cadets: Dice Duels.

Countblanc gets it. Dice Duels loving owns hard

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dishwasherlove posted:

This sounds neat. Is it kinda like Captain Sonar? What's the overlap like with that?

I haven't played Captain Sonar, but I am familiar with the rules. Hopefully someone who's played both can speak better about comparing them?

Dice Duels, at least when I've played, almost always devolves into lots of screaming and panicking, in the best way possible. Each person is more or less doing their own thing, but have demands of one or two of the other players on their team, so there's lots of WHAT ARE YOU DOING, I NEED A FOUR only to replied with gently caress I JUST GAVE ALL THE DICE AWAY TO THE OTHER GUY and then the other team yells FIRE and everything grinds to a climactic halt as you somehow panicand hold your breath at the same time cus gently caress gently caress gently caress your shields are on the complete wrong side of the ship and one more hit is all it'll take to-oh, they fired their missiles in the opposite direction of your ship, lmao, then everyone starts screaming again

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any recommendations for games that, in rough order of importance:
- Plays well at 2 players
- Is decent for players inexperienced with board / card / tabletop games
- Is mech themed

I've got a buddy that's interested in getting into the hobby, but I don't currently have a local group for larger games so it'd be just the two of us. He's super into mech video games / anime so I figure that'd be a good theme to start with to get him excited, though I also recognize a lot of mech games tend to be super mechanically heavy and probably not a great thing to toss someone new into.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hempuli posted:

I didn't see either a thread for abstracts nor a thread for homebrew boardgames on the first two pages of this subforum, so I thought it'd be safe to post here:
I designed a small, simple 2-player abstract boardgame after reading about their history a bit! It's called Cylinders of the Wise, mostly due to the silly Lore I wrote for the game to spice up the rulebook. It's basically about moving 4 units and throwing other units around in order to get your Stone Cylinder to the other end of the board. A bit Hnetatafl-ish, except symmetric?
If anyone's interested, you can download the rules for free here: https://hempuli.itch.io/cylinders-of-the-wise
Playtested it a bit on playingcards.io and it seemed to actually work fairly ok? The game balance didn't seem broken and I had good fun.

Anyway, a big reason why I wanted an excuse to post it here is because I'm quite happy with the physical pieces:

I cut the board from an acrylic canvas and painted it; the hinge was made from an old sock.

We actually do have a board game design thread! It doesn't see a wild amount of traffic, but it's active from time to time and always welcoming of new games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks for all the robo-recommendations! I've done a bit of googling and some of them definitely look appropriate, but happy to take more recommendations.

El Fideo posted:

Nobody's recommended AEGIS: Super Combining Robot Tactics yet? For Shame!

This actually seems like it might be the best bet, though I haven't played it - so I'm happy to hear other opinions on it. The theme and combining mechanics are rad and seem like a lot of fun, but the combat itself seems like it might be a bit shallow?