Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Please make a note of the first time someone mentions Spirit Island

Don’t tell me there’s something wrong with Spirit Island. It’s become my favorite game over the past year…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Admiralty Flag posted:

As the Broken Token organizers are out (see the second post of the thread for more info if, like me, you were unaware), who in general is the go-to organizer recommendation?

And, specifically, who's got the best organizer for (no surprise to anyone who's seen my recent posts) Spirit Island with expansions?

e: USA if it matters

I’ve got spirit island and branch and claw stowed away with a folded space insert. No idea if it’s the best option, but it works pretty well and greatly speeds up the game. Everything fits in the base box, which is nice.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
So, Tainted Grail.

I don't post here often, but I'm completely bewildered by this game. I've never been so engrossed and yet so frustrated by a game before. The game is so enchanting in so many ways. The mechanics are good enough to not get in the way of the exploration, and the exploration is the best I've ever seen in a board game. The plot, the secrets, the discoveries - they are all so interesting and generally well written. The way the plot unfolds as you make your way through the chapters is really remarkable, and quite an achievement. You really become engrossed in the story and look forward to finding the next bit of exposition in a way I've never seen captured outside of a video game. The exploration journal is full of interesting information, puzzles, etc. and is, generally, a very elegant method of working your way through a very complex narrative (complex in the context of a board game). The deck building and survival aspects are fine, they work well enough, and they generally capture the sense of progression you'd have in an RPG.

With all that being said, this is also the most frustrating game I've ever played. I've been keeping a journal to notate what I've done at each location and to write down the (sometimes obvious, sometimes far too subtle) clues that serve to nudge your exploration towards a resolution. I've ended two campaigns prematurely because I, basically, got overwhelmed (playing solo, so I'm tracking everything myself) by the amount of things that you have to juggle at any given time. This time I'm trying to force myself to finish the campaign, and generally, having a great time. I've fudged the rules in a couple of places to keep from getting frustrated and totally restarted chapter 6 after squandering far too much time going in the wrong direction. I also seem to have completely bypassed a good part of the plot (the amount of freedom you have to explore the world is remarkable, and the various ways the game tries to corral you are well done), which forced me to look up spoilers in order to complete chapter 7 without tearing my hair out. I just started chapter 8, which seems to mark a fundamental change in the nature of the game, at least temporarily.

Anyone finished this or any of the other campaigns? Any thoughts or suggestions? I think I'll finish the Fall of Avalon regardless, but I understand the expansion campaigns are not as well done.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I have not personally played Tainted Grail or any Awakened Realms realms campaign games. However, if I recall correctly, Paul Grogan of Gaming Rules was a fan of Tainted Grail, but he also played with some house rules, because his group liked the story but didn't like certain other aspects. I know he mentioned sharing those in some vid somewhere, and (possibly Tainted Grail spoilers behind link, I literally could not tell you) this appears to be them. Maybe you'll get on better with those adjustments.

It’s hard for me to imagine anyone trying to play without house ruling something at some point. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out!

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap neoprene/rubber mat to throw down for board games? All the ones I pull up on Amazon have questionable reviews. It probably doesn’t matter and I should just order whatever, but if anyone has recommendations.

Looking for something maybe 36x36…

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Stitching can press into your arms if you have a mat that sits flush with the edge of the table. May or may not be an issue for your use case

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have some Big Viking Mats, they cut any size you want. I don't know what "relatively cheap" means but I've had mine for years and they've held up.

Infinitum posted:

I can highly recommend boardgametables for their playmats - I did a bulk buy for my gaming group and every single person who bought one loves it.
https://www.boardgametables.com/products/board-game-playmat

An alternative I used for a while was some velvet fabric with a floor/rug stopper underneath if you want the cheapest option.
Worked well.

I've never had a mat, period, so I really have no idea what I'm looking for. I looked on Amazon and all the reviews looked astroturfed so I was afraid to order anything. Thanks for the recommendations!

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
So, Spirit Island. Once people have moved onto branch and claw content (events and tokens), do you generally *always* use that content? I’ve played dozens of games of the base game, even though I own all of the expansions and have yet to try any of them.

The modularity of the game is kind of overwhelming.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I recently bought both seasons and all the addons because I'm an idiot like that, and I have to say that I really enjoy Final Girl.

I’m another idiot that bought it all, and I’m glad this thread is talking about Final Girl because I think I much prefer to read about other people playing, than actually playing the game itself.

There’s nothing really… wrong… with the game. And the components are awesome and really, it’s just delightful to look through all the material.

I’m just not sure that I like the game all that much… I’ve only played the first feature film, but I’m having trouble working up the enthusiasm to try the others.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Received my unbreakable pledge and took it for a spin today. It’s my first Chip Theory product, bought into the kickstarter hype but so far only went for the unbreakable standalone.

I’ve played twice now with figment and got thoroughly beaten both times. So just some thoughts:

1. The rule book is awful. Information is scattered all over the place. There’s a ton of flipping back and forth to find things. Sometimes the font size changes (parenthetical) which makes it look kind of amateurish. I’ve read a lot of rulebooks, and I can’t remember the last time I had one that required so much back and forth and searching to figure out what should be fairly core concepts.
2. However nice I expected the game to be, production-wise, it exceeded my expectations. Everything is heavy and beautiful. It makes me want to buy more CT products just to hold in my hands.
3. I got crushed. Part of it is not knowing what to focus on with these characters. The impact of the skills, at least in solo, seems pretty meager. The character I used, Figment, was rated less challenging for solo play but most of his abilities don’t really seem to work well. Of course, in a short game I’m only able to train a handful of his skills, so probably not getting to experience his full potential yet.
4. As a corollary to 3, I think I’d like to have a character, at least to start with, who fields a more conventional and simple set of skills. That probably entails buying the base set, which is another big expenditure for a game I’m not sure I like.
5. Gosh, it’s so pretty.
6. I’m not a big fan of combat on square grids - it seems to really limit your tactical options in my opinion. I’m pleased to find this isn’t the case in this game. Even though it’s a small, 4x4 combat arena without much movement, combat is generally pretty interesting.

I backed the elder scrolls game that’s supposed to be released next year and this makes me feel pretty good about that decision.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

And you'll get completely wrecked often anyway, it's basically a randomly-generated roguelike. Just play on baby difficulty.

Also, I don't think you play true solo unless there's something in Unbreakable I didn't read. It's usually two-handed.

There’s rules for one handed solo in unbreakable. Not sure how it is for the other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

It seems like a fair number of knowledgeable people enjoy it, but I found it a bore. A chore to set up, generally too easy, not much depth or intrigue in the mechanics. I like the stamina system they came up with for cycling your hand/the card market, but it doesn’t sustain a whole game on its own.

I agree. I own all the product released up to now, and I enjoy owning it, and looking through it, and setting up the game, and reading all the additional content, but I’m really not that fond of the game itself, sadly.