Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
caylus is medium weight, medium length, but extremely mean and on BGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

KongGeorgeVII posted:

One problem I've run into with new players in spirit island is that often the puzzle is so dense and engrossing that they don't have the bandwidth to communicate. I have no trouble talking through my turns but I think new players can find there are so many moving parts to remember that they tunnel vision on their corner of the map and don't factor in that other spirits might be able to help.

that's been my experience as well. in general i think with newer players you want to start with 3p max. Something that is small enough for an experienced player to actively make pushes into helping the other players.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

nrook posted:

On one hand, I like Puzzle Strike and think there's a lot of unique design work in it; it's not really fair to call it a ripoff of Dominion. I don't think anyone would be looking askance at its design were it not designed by a serial plagiarist.

yeah the thing about sirlin is that a lot of his stuff is iterative changes or extrapolations of other games. flash duel to en garde, puzzle strike to dominion, codex to mtg (although its more different from its originator than the others,) pandante to poker. I wouldn't characterize any of these games as plagiarization because there's a lot there in his games that isn't in the games they're riffing on. people pile on him for those because they're justifiably upset at him for the art theft in puzzle strike, his weird aggro fighting game community tone, and his self-aggrandizing steve-jobs-wannabe style. But he doesn't steal from other game designers, just hobbyists on bgg.

That doesn't mean that we should say puzzle strike is plagiarizing dominion, though. there's a dozen games we can point to that do way less with the core fundamentals of dominion and are much closer to being reskins that aren't accuzed of plagiarism. It's not a great attitude to cultivate that a game should be judged on how closely it resembles its influences - I think that's a bad mindset for a fan community - especially one that has wound up having so many newer board game devs spring up from it. People should feel free to iterate on mechanics of games they like.

gently caress sirlin tho. If he only ever did just one bad thing and that was stealing that person's artwork for puzzle strike, that one thing is bad enough.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm still open to the idea that puzzle strike 2 could be good. If Vlaada can make a market row work, sirlin can too (by copying what Vlaada did.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What's a better dexterity game?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you can't be burned by a game that doesn't get played :)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i've only backed two bad kickstarters, right at the beginning of the the ttrpg presence on the platform: pirate world and Project: Dark (which still gets updates and a perfect mix of rabidly angry and sycophantic replies)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
also every spirit in jagged earth fuckin' slaps

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Once you're in 6+ level adversary territory you're going to really feel it if your spirit isn't an especially strong match up, but especially in a team context all of them are eventually doable. Sometimes Fangs needs to lean in more to its secondary role as a fear spirit, it's easy to lose sight of that when you can chomp down on colonists so easily against most early adversaries.

Learning to let go and let the fear deck solve a problem you can't is also something fangs and other fear spirits wind up doing on higher difficulties. It helps a lot that fangs can maneuver beasts into position because of that - it can play the odds and set up a troublesome region for success on decent odds for a good fear card.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 22, 2022

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Frosthaven is going to rule. Sorry burnoutailures

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Go ahead I want to see how you connect those dots

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
For-ex is great and recently the author was talking about a potential crypto parodying expansion for it on her twitter, which I earnestly hope sees the light of day.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's a hair more complex than Root but you're looking for Pax Pamir 2e

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
great... another kingmaking game

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i do kind of blame everything i don't like in root on leder and I try not to let those get in the way of, like, recommending the game to people because a lot of people LOVE the little vagabond bastard and don't play competitively enough that it is an Issue. But. I would love to have seen a version of root that was just Wehrle's furry fantasy themed asymmetric warfare simulator without a bunch of "wackiness" sprinkled across it.

Like the Vagabond is such a novelty figure. very "And you don't even have to be a faction! You can just be a guy!" that is maybe the perfect kind of thing to snag a certain kind of Gamer but it's just very frustrating. I see the same sort of shallowness in how the crows operate, although I think they fit better than the vagabond does.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I mean you can just don't play with the vagabond. Wasn't a big part of the vagabond existing the need for a 4th player with a low piece count? Swap in an expansion faction.

As a solution for how to get 4players on the base box the vagabond is pretty clever imho if I also don't like it.

Yea I mean I prefer not to play with the vagabond. But also part of the game's appeal is wrapped around its assymetry, and players who are often uncomfortable in conflict heavy war games gravitate to the vagabond pretty heavily. I do appreciate that the Marauder seems to be an attempt at replacing the vagabond with a much more interesting character.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the solution to no one taking your otter offerings is to play lizards until they are desparate for you to play anything else

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my copy of the root marauders KS came in today. I remember when I kickstarted it thinking "it will be fun to celebrate the end of the pandemic with this game" :smith:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You won't regret it, spirit island has surpassed every other game I've bought since getting in to the hobby in terms of play time

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
playing a COIN game pairs really nicely with reading the us counter insurgency manual for learning about how the us thinks about asymmetric warfare

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my purchasing has gone way down for a number of reasons, but I'm still pre-ordering every new splotter sight unseen.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Me and my friends finally wrenched ourselves away from Gloomhaven long enough to try a different board game: Spirit Island.

It’s lots of fun but now it seems like we might just play that a lot, so going to try and maybe suggest cycling in new games every other month or so lol.

congrats on having the opposite of the problem everyone lese has

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh gently caress the all-in pledge gets you the beta art versions of the cards

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm so upset i recognized tom vasel before i recognized the pun about the dice tower

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Biannual reminder that I simply cannot stop playing spirit island. I've started actually gunning for the harder difficulties and while it does reveal that overall the spirit island team is still learning how to balance spirits in terms of raw power, they've become exceedingly good at making each spirit interesting and engaging to play even at very high difficulty levels.

I was not expecting the slow burn support spirit Serpent Coiled Beneath The Earth to provide an engaging single player experience, for example.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's less that some spirits are too weak to function or do things, more that a few are extremely consistent powerhouses. The time spirit and rampant growth spring to mind.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Funzo posted:

Just got back from a long weekend of playing games with friends. We got an AirBnB rental and spent 2 and a half days playing board games. Everyone brought games, so I don't remember everything off the top of my head, but I took Istanbul, Spirit Island and Kemet: Blood and Sand, and we got in 5 player games of all three. Spirit Island at 5 gets pretty wild towards the end game, with everything that can happen.

Related, but what do people use to store that game, with all the expansions? I got the Folder Space insert that holds the base game with Branch & Claw, but I didn't know if there was anything else good out there. Broken Token has a big storage crate, but I didn't know if they were still run buy a sex pest.

The sex pest (and workplace tyrant - he fired 13 employees as his parting gesture) is no longer in charge, but likely still benefitting financially from the company and involved in an advisory role. I have the crate from before people knew about the sex pest. It's a mixed bag. If you do get it, you may want to do some light sanding on the interior sides of the top lid of the crate to make it slightly easier to close. On a positive note, busting out the big SPRIT ISLAND crate does a lot for getting new players hyped. Also the storage for tokens doubling as storage during the game is extremely handy.

Other issues: That fucker is heavy. Also, it probably won't fit everything in it once we get 8 new spirits and a few new tokens in the (soon to close so get in on it now if you want) current backerkit kickstarter thingy here: https://www.backerkit.com/c/greater-than-games/spirit-island-nature-Incarnate , so it might not be the storage solution to get if you're trying to future-proof.

Since there's at least two expansions left in this series (nature incarnate, and some other hinted at JE-sized expansion that focuses on the Dahan in the far future) and the sex pest business doesn't seem to be fully resolved, I'd recommend against buying the spirit island crate in particular, or any other organizers as well, until NI is out. If you simply must have one, Etsy has some great stuff like this one https://www.etsy.com/listing/917189065/natures-wrath-organizer-storage-solution . And Laserox has a decent storage solution as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Eraflure posted:

Rampant growth is probably the best spirit in the game, yeah. It's not just moss dude, though, the generic support powers are a bit too strong too. I assume it's by design, to encourage cooperation. I think it works well, as the end result is players going "oh awesome, I got twinned days/constancy/whatever" and immediately working on sick combos with the rest of the team.

It's great going through a few plays of this with new players as they realize on like the second or third playthrough how bonkers the support powers are. It usually happens around the time they stop viewing slow actions as inherently worse than fast actions.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

Rock guy's innate ability to Repeat a 1 (or 3+) cost card is listed as Fast, so it can only Repeat other Fast abilities, correct?

No, you can repeat other abilities too. Think of a Repeat as creating a second instance of the ability's effects that can be targeted in any place you could have targeted the original ability. If you do that in the Fast phase it just means you have two instances of the slow ability waiting in the slow phase.

It sounds like your may be misplaying a rule or two that would make the game harder. I'd recommend scanning this list of commonly misunderstood rules in case anything else is tripping you up.
https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!Rules-semi-commonly-misplayed

The most common misplayed ones that make the game harder for players are:
1. only one blight added per ravage, no matter how much damage (unless a specific invader is in play)
2. cascading blight only goes to one adjacent area, not to every single adjacent area (pandemic brain)
3. explorers are not a source of explorers.
4. you don't "use up" elements as you use them to activate effects. Elements listed under abilities are thresholds to meet, not a measure of how much you "spend" to activate them.
5. You don't need to choose where to target a power until you resolve it.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 15, 2022

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Blood rage feels like an awkward cross between citow and kemet and it feels like both of its influences are better than it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
FCM is kind of its own beast but if you enjoy either Brass you'll probably love it. It's all of the dickish maneuvering of Brass but magnified

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think fcm works well at two but it is also obviously designed around 3+ players.

Also yeah it's not that long for us even when we didn't have expansion milestones. Maybe you need a chess clock for your planning phases

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I have every piece of spirit island except the deluxe tokens and neoprene mat and I store it in a custom carrying case but like 70 percent of my plays are on the (excellent, scripted, dev approved) tts mod

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got my copy of ark nova in today! Surprisingly nice stock photos of animals in it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oceans is actually most fun at low player counts because of the energy scaling for its innate. It does stay useful for the table generally at larger counts because more coasts it can be on = more problems it's raw presence can solve or help solve. But it feels less fun to drown a city and an explorer and get only one energy instead of 2 or 4.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you say that now but once the movie comes out and it is a poorly-paced slow-moving mess where no one is really interacting with each other you'll see how true it was to its inspiration

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
deepest apologies to anyone in the thread who is now for the first time learning that game design sense and ethical sense aren't inextricably linked but tekopo's right. puzzle strike and codex are bangers. shame about the sirlin's whole personality, ethical conduct, aesthetic sense, and general operating behavior otherwise.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
codex's whole semi-deckbuilding mtg thing is Actually Good and I can only hope it get 'stolen' for other games.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Every splotter game is worth the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
brass birmingham hustle is when a guy at the park tries to bet 20 dollars that you can't beat him in brass birmingham