Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Elman posted:

How bad is it to be spoiled on the first months of Pandemic Legacy s1? I was thinking of attempting it with some friends but since they're not super into board games, I wanna know how bad it'd be if we dropped it after 2-4 months and I ended up playing it with another group later on. You know, just for peace of mind.

(obviously if it came to that I'd play as if I didn't know anything and let them make all the meta decisions, upgrades and whatnot)
There are new mechanics introduced at the start of each of the first few months, but IMO if you aren’t feeling it and are worried about seeing too much, the end of March is a nice stopping point plot-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

i lust for the day a print run has “hire a professional technical writer and copy editor” as a goal
but what about me, folding and unfolding the nemesis rulebook like a mad magazine fold in

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Jimbozig posted:

I'm curious about this because 20 questions is already very easy to win most of the time. That raises some questions for me. If I'm the traitor/spy, why would I have to give anything away? Couldn't I basically just play "normally" and have a high likelihood of winning? What would happen if when asked to look at the answer, I just didn't look and played in the dark like everyone else? Is there something that makes it harder than 20 questions?
There’s a fairly tight time limit but if (big if) the word were consistently being guessed without the Insider having to meaningfully intervene, then other players might try to force the Insider’s hand by, say, disingenuously wasting time or being overtly distracting.

Adding a little chicken, basically.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

Highly recommending giving this a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkUYGT-S5R8

and their previous hit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUMaIr4MEHg

Watch 2 idiots destroy themselves on camera
Cheers for this. I’d seen these goobers pop up in my YT recs but for some reason the thumbnails were radiating Big Smosh Energy, so I would never have clicked on account of I’m deeply shallow.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Memnaelar posted:

Oh, man, I can't count how many times I've seen someone, either on a forum or in person, argue something is imbalanced after a single play and refuse to be shifted on it (or resist further plays to determine if that's the case.)

Taking a forty-five minute intermission halfway through our first playthrough of a brand new game in order to hash out how we’re going to houserule out the balance issues next time.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

SettingSun posted:

If anyone invites me to play a game we all are learning for the first time and the host comes ready with a set of houserules he read somewhere (again), I'm leaving.
But there isn't an official way to combine all the expansions. :(

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Picked up The Light in the Mist a couple of weeks ago after seeing some chat in the thread and have been plugging away in dribs and drabs over the last couple of weeks. Finished up last night and really enjoyed it.

(A few minor opinions on specific puzzles under the spoiler tags, for folks who have already played it)

It's a tarot deck full of puzzles, where each puzzle uses one of the Major Arcana cards (the main ones; the ones that The Binding of Isaac fans will recognise; The Fool, The Magician, The Empress, etc.) and some related set of the Minor Arcana cards (the babies; Ace through King of Wands, Swords, Cups, Pentacles) and the basic loop is:
1. Pick a Major card and gather the related Minor cards.
2. Read a brief passage in the manual for some establishing context.
3. Use the shared elements across the cards to deduce some English word, and then check to see if that word gets you a matching entry in the manual to progress the story.

All the answers are words, usually thematically or tonally relevant, and so I found it was usually very clear when I was on the right track, especially when contrasted with something like an Unlock or Exit (where I've found its easier to get stuck trying multiple variations on a fundamentally wrong idea). As a few folk have mentioned, the difficulty varies widely from puzzle to puzzle, which I think is the nature of the beast particularly with how varied the puzzles are in the set. Some purely visual, some requiring some math or logic, and a few relying more directly on the ability to work with words. Some had me stumped for quite some time (The Stars was my personal bugbear :(), whereas others were fairly obvious (the manual has some suggested starting puzzles which are ostensibly easier but that includes, well, The Stars :shrug:). Some still were time-consuming, not necessarily in their difficulty but just in requiring working through multiple steps (or even the same step multiple times) to reach the solution. I did find the introductory passages for each puzzle in the manual to occasionally be a little bit on-the-nose in cluing the solution, so I might recommend skipping Step 2 above and just diving right in to solving the puzzle using what's on the cards, at least for a little bit, particularly if you've played a few puzzle games and may be familiar with some tricks up this game's sleeve (though full warning: I suspect there are a few cases where this approach can't work!).

Some of the puzzles have multiple valid answers but I didn't that aspect hugely satisfying. Fairly few cases where the extra solutions were borne out of some further complication to the logic of the puzzle (The Hierophant being a standout), and more just opportunities to re-apply the same rules to a different set of inputs (The High Priestess was neat, but not hugely satisfying on the eighth go around).

Overall though, gorgeous little game and I guess ultimately gave me the answer I was hoping for to the question, "Hey, The Emerald Flame seems neat but maybe a little pricey given I don't really know these designers but should I pick it up anyway?" Oh also it has some minor destructive elements but it comes with a refresh kit packed in so :thumbsup:

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Finished the Oathsworn campaign this week!

Really enjoyed the encounter gameplay, and I found the story interesting enough in a beat-by-beat, scenario-by-scenario sense, but came away from the ending with I think a bit more of an understanding of why people who played Mass Effect 3 were bummed out back in the day.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Got an event planning question in a King's Dilemma context.

At the end of my group's most recent session we were, I suspect, very close to the endgame:
* We're seventeen games deep.
* All six of the storylines have ending cards
* Five of the six Mystery Stickers have been revealed.
* The dilemma deck is looking incredibly thin.

As I understand, once the sixth Mystery Sticker comes out, we move on to The Grand Finale. I'm just wondering from folks in the know: Is that just final campaign scoring? Or is there, like, game in there? It's a little bit fiddly to get the group together so I don't want to go through the effort of doing that, setting the game up, and then flipping the first card over and have it say "Great now go home".

Is that... possible? Likely? Or is there a solid chunk of game still to go from that point?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Just on the subject: The crowdfunder for the third (and apparently final) Nemesis game is up.

It is what it is, you probably already know if you give a poo poo. My feeling on Nemesis falls squarely into, “This seems neat enough but I would absolutely never pay that price for a shipping container full of plastic for a game I’ll get to play twice,” so I’m kind of jazzed that there’s a relatively cheap standee-only edition.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I think perhaps the funniest counter example is the invaders from afar expansion for Scythe. Let's you go up to 7 player. I like the idea of saying "No you two, go away, we only play BASE game to begin with".
Oh, no of course not. You don’t forbid two of the seven from playing, you just don’t play the base game until only five people are around. Then wait to play again it until a different subset of five players - which must include the two who missed it first time - are available.

Then, and only then, once all seven of the seven players have played the base game at least once, are you free to never play the seven-player expansion because one of the people who played the base game twice hates it and never wants to play again, and all the people who played only once are scared they’ll get their rear end beat by the people who have played the game literally twice as much as they have.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

a 3 hour game of Century spice road
Sorry, off topic a little, should only take a minute but just wanted to ask: uh

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, when I’ve completely lost beyond even a Hail Mary play and there’s no person I want to make suffer for their betrayal, I usually don’t resign, but I do try to find the end game trigger and sprint towards it.

“Oh, the game ends when there are no more acorns in the supply? I’ll spend my income buying acorns.”

“But you don’t have enough winter storage to score those acorns!”

“Couldn’t care less. Two acorns, please.”
I sometimes have similar sentiments but I feel like, if I’m inclined to rush to the end (for para-strategic purposes) then why am I even playing?

Not in the sense of Why Not Just Resign?, but Why Am I Even Doing This To Begin With?

I can appreciate big lunkers like TTA (I think maybe Mega Civs / Mega Empires also?) having rules for resignation just for convenience’s sake but I do find it funny to imagine game designers responding to “players want to stop playing your game before it’s over” with “well gently caress, that’s terrible, think of the balance implications”

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I had a point when to get my house goal I had to convince everyone to get a puzzle wrong, which wasn't really possible because there was an obvious right answer.
Ah, always nice to meet a fellow delegate from House Porcupines and Mountains.

Sweating at the table trying to figure out if it’s kosher to try to bribe people with dream money or figure out yet another way to phrase, “but the card said the obvious answer was wrong!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
In my limited experience, if there’s a heavy skew towards one player having significantly more Action cards then that player will:
1. grind the momentum of a round to a halt on their turn because they have a more complex selection of options to optimize, and
2. have several things still to do once everyone else has passed and are just waiting for the round to end