Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

panko posted:

wavelength is another exceptional filler title. I like it better than codenames (because it’s faster), but slightly less than so clover, decrypto, or even trapwords. I hosed the game up for our team by giving “five-hour old cement” as a clue where the spectrum was SOFT —— FIRM and the target was about 65% of the way towards firm. I thought cement took about a day to set but one of the players on my team was adamant (and correct) that it takes more than 48 hours for it to be firm enough to walk on, so they set the dial leaning soft. oops.

personally i like playing wavelength like the phone app sets up where everybody is just on one team trying to get the best score they can.

i also wish i could buy extra prompt packs like the app has since i've played the gently caress out of my physical copy and some of the prompts are getting pretty old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Cindy the SKULL posted:

every single person in our league currently either has a diagnosis for being on the autism spectrum, or is currently being studied for a diagnosis. funny

as someone both on the spectrum and has played ti 4 this makes an incredible amount of sense tbh

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'm also interested in the answer to this. i've only ever run the whole tutorial.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

15 for jaws is a steal

15 for big box is a bank heist

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

well now i want to break out my copy of petz and bring it out at the next games night

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We also played some Bohnanza over the past few weeks and that game just rules. I'm four or five plays into it now and it's just... it's just great. I don't even know why it is, but it is. Love Bohnanza.

beans

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

My favorite trick taking game is briscola, but I also grew up playing it with Sicilian grandparents

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I love Italian card art so much. Also the games are fun. Old Sicilians gonna cut you if you don't win the trick

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

found terraforming mars for $20 with all the parts at the thrift store. i figure why not worst case i can probably sell it for more than that or trade it

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

My group has been doing betrayal legacy and we're having an absolute blast, and none of us even particularly care for the regular version

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is what makes it great.
e: my problem with Race is that, as a new player, the game loop is draw 5 cards you've never seen before and immediately discard 4 to play 1. As you're sitting, reading, trying to work out what works, people who've been playing the game for a literal decade try to hide their impatience so they can get to the next phase.

This is why I don't like race tbh. The only time I played I was the only new player and I just got loving creamed for like 90 minutes and that was the only thing I experienced about the game

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

but otoh i have dominion and anime maid dominion which i had good first games of and love

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

listen this was over a decade ago so i might be misremembering how long it took but the point is it was too long, and absolutely loving miserable

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

last time i did ti4 it was 12 hours in 2 6 hour sessions over 2 weekends

was great. love ti4

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Man I'd kill for a group willing to play ti

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Thankfully there are a couple games that are essentially just Dominion With A Different Theme

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Board games are like any other medium; most movies are bad but a lot of people love bad trashy movies. The key is to not be personally attached to them and being ok with people judging them harshly, which people on SA are generally capable of. This thread being brutally honest about games is a great thing. It’s harder to build up that level of experience with board games though, because of all the challenges unique to this hobby wrt time, group preferences, game availability, etc.

this. it's absolutely fine to love garbage. i mean poo poo we're all posting on Something Awful in 2024

i love plenty of garbage and i think my karma as it related to entertainment products is better for it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That is quite the rap sheet Jesus christ

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

personally i just really do not like app-enabled games

part of why i like board games is because they aren't digital, don't jam digital in there imo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Arkham Horror LCG has a third-party app that is excellent. It does this type of campaign tracking, helps with setup, contains a filterable card library that streamlines deckbuilding a great deal, and even includes errata and FAQs for all cards that have them. But during the actual game, it hooks in only in the limited circumstances when it makes sense (like containing a repository of the diary logs normally accessed via the campaign guide etc.)

Yeah I use this one, but only for campaign and deck xp tracking. I still read everything out of the books and use a physical chaos bag and flip through my actual cards when I'm building

I'm also a bit of a luddite, so any more than what i use that app for is distasteful to me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

on one hand that does seem nice, otoh i kinda like not knowing, since awful things you can't know is kind of the theme of the game

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I haven't done the jack the ripper ones, but the other red box cases are good

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

more people should play go to learn resigning when a game is obviously lost is a good thing that lets you play more games

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I regularly host board game nights with friends and frequently have strangers come up to my door because they think my house is a pub. But that's a whole other thing.

About a year ago a lady came up to my door asking if she could come in, because she regularly saw people playing boardgames and she wanted to play. I said she was welcome to join, but we were in the middle of a game right now so she might have to wait. Then she asked if we could play Monopoly next. When I said that we don't play Monopoly she had an extended rant about how I should put signs up to say that my house is not open to the public.

You say it's only open to publics who don't want to play ancient bad games

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's just an old bad game. I'd also rather get drunk and play that than monopoly tbh

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There was controversy in the MtG community recently when someone did this in a tournament.

Simplifying the situation: it was a four-player game, player A had a combo that could win the game immediately but needed player B's cards to still be in play to do it. B said "If you try to jus win the game with this, I'll just resign"; B would lose anyhow so resigning wouldn't cost B anything, but A wouldn't be able to immediately defeat C and D because B resigning would remove B's cards from the game and break the combo. Since B didn't want to lose and A didn't want to not get any value out of their combo, they negotiated and agreed that B wouldn't resign as long as A only used the combo to gain some advantage instead of going for the immediate win.

People got really mad about doing that in a tournament for prizes but I dunno, I feel like that kind of politicking is kind of what you get when you try to play a four-player free-for-all :shrug:

this is actually smart and should be lauded

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i genuinely don't understand what issue people have with it (resigning)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

with a 3+ player game i'd personally rather a person not having fun and only going through the motions be able to stop before they get to that point, as someone who has had to keep playing a game i stopped enjoying long before it was over

it doesn't have to end the game for everyone

there's also imo a big difference between "quitting because you can't stand losing" and "quitting because the game is already decided but not over"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

imo if the others really wanna continue have someone play 2 handed

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

well your choices are balance or making your friend unhappy

someone playing the bare minimum is pretty bad for balance too

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

they could do anything

take a piss

check email

go home

personally i value everyone having a good time over actually finishing a game at the cost of making a friend miserable

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

the other option to resigning is playing kingmaker, which people also tend to take issue with

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Joe Chill posted:

This conversation reminds of an alien in Cosmic Encounter called the Sniveler, which is parody of the kind of player that complains about losing:

CE rules

that said one of the most recent times i played ce one of the new players didn't get it and Was Not Having Fun, so we gave it one more round and called it and then instituted a 3 alien choice when we play now and they've had a better time since

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 18, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

machi koro can be very fun, but it can also be very not fun

it's also not at all a problem in it if someone dips, for which i give it credit

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I played machi koro base game I think, the one where you can buy whatever you want (iirc??) and it was fine

The one I hated was machi koro with an expansion that swapped the open market with a market row, some people managed to get some cards that meant when you rolled some numbers, other people lost money, and I death spiralled because I could never buy those cards when they came up and my turn consisted of rolling the dice and passing

that sounds bad. i've only played base and legacy and both are fine, but legacy has One Really Busted Strategy that we had to house rule out because it's extremely extremely unfun to deal with

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Anyway, I've actually never had someone want to quit out of a game because they're losing, exactly, but there's definitely been times where the person in last is forced to make a move that decides which of the people not in last wins.

Which isn't particularly enjoyable for anyone at the table, and is the situation where mp games can be called by mutual acclaim.

and it's always, in my experience, the eligible person who is farthest from winning

totally fair to clock out before this point

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

case in point, played a game of darts tonight that was over at least 15 minutes before it ended.

league looks down on resigning though. gotta suffer to the bitter end

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

losing by 200+ points in a competitive league game is not fun

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i've been playing every week for 3ish years and i'm still pretty terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If you're playing for money it's a completely different situation from a social game imho, and most spots leagues have tie breakers so you've got to play out the string.

With social games though I think resigning is more acceptable the more the group has played, because you're more likely to have a solid grasp on the end game.

It's not for money, it's just for trophy.

It's also an entirely skill based game and I take failure at skill based things as a reflection of self worth