Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm still 60,000 posts behind in the 4e thread and am reading about the hottest games of 2016. A Feast for Odin is taking the world by storm, if only it were in stock anywhere!

Anyway I'd appreciate if you could all refrain from posting spoilers for 2017 onwards itt until I'm caught up, but I've got a good feeling about the next five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A friend just moved to another city and gave us his copy of Gloomhaven, the Forgotten Circles expansion and a fancy laser-cut insert rather than move them. If we ever work up the courage (and find the space) to start playing, what do we need to do to restart the game? Looks like he used about half the map stickers in his group's playthrough, I have no idea about the rest but most of the little boxes look like they haven't been opened.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks for the Gloomhaven reset advice! The tracker website looks handy too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Does anyone have thoughts on Mindbug? My partner has been really enjoying Radlands and I thought I might pick up something else in a similar vein.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thank you for the Mindbug thoughts and other recs! As a recovering M:tG player Garfield's name on the box and the familiar-seeming play of Mindbug appealed to the me, but Air Land & Sea looks very interesting. The curse and joy of this thread is that whenever I read it I come away with another 5 games on my mental wishlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pvt. Parts posted:

I enjoyed Mindbug quite a bit in the couple of games I got to play of it. I think the idea of being able to steal your opponents' play is super neat and really cranks the mind games up a notch for such an otherwise simple game. It is a game I am looking to own however I am not sure how much longevity it presents. Honestly, with how simple a game it is, it doesn't need to present much to buy a spot in my collection.

Now speaking of Garfield, if you want M:tG but good and not endless Rabbit Hole collectible (only As Much as You Want collectible), definitely check out Solforge: Fusion. It also sports his name on the box, and it's basically Magic if Magic were designed today, with all of the lessons of modern games and such. Creatures have tracked/persistent health, which prevents boardstate snowball effects. No mana system, you just get limited numbers of card plays per round, so no non-games. Decks are algorithmically generated a la Keyforge as half decks that you smash together a la Smash Up!, creating a just-right balance between collectability and playability/customization/variety. The tradeoff for all of this is that the game began as a digital title almost a decade ago and was recently reborn into paper, meaning there is quite a bit of fiddliness/tracking needed, but my god is it worth it.

Honestly this discussion almost doesn't belong in the board game thread since 1v1 collectible card battlers tend to be a bit of a world of their own, but I can't help myself whenever M:tG or other self-contained card duelers come up.

Good to hear about Mindbug, I guess I'll probably end up getting a copy at some point. It's not exactly a huge investment even if we don't end up playing it a tonne. Solforge and Keyforge seem an interesting idea that I just can't quite imagine working in paper. I'm keen to stay on stuff that's pretty self-contained for now, I don't think my partner will have much interest in the collecting and deck building bit of TCGs/CCGs so it's likely we'd end up not playing much.