Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Suddenly Susan posted:

New thread woohoo! Has anyone had a chance to try out all the amazing looking games and expansions Capstone has/is about to be releasing?

Boonlake is happening today :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Played 4p today. First game for everyone, took quite a while with 4 players but picked up speed as everyone started grokking what to do. Everyone was engaged the entire time, but what became clear was that

1) don't dawdle on the river too much or you risk others having overwhelming scoring possibilities
2) when selecting a VP tile, the special project on it seems much more important than the VP part, and you should probably plan your resources accordingly
3) do NOT have no playable cards or usable workers when a scoring is about to trigger
4) don't be scared to sacrifice a few VP now for massive gains later; you CAN go below 0
5) the second round is a lot shorter than the first

Overall, everyone really liked it, we want to play again soon. Hopefully the tips above help prospective players get into the groove faster.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Back Alley Borks posted:

What boardgame did they play that created so much loathing?

Settlers, obviously.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I was going to reply with something similar, but you've already described it pretty much perfectly.

I also think Isaac Childres, as the designer of BGG's #1 game, hiring a diversity consultant, actually sticking to what he promised, ditching lovely companies (presumably at a financial loss to him) and telling Kickstarter manbabies whining at him to gently caress off and get a refund was very important.

I hadn't heard about Lehmann fighting the good fight but it's heartening to hear that the designer of my favorite series of games is also a good guy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jmzero posted:

I've looked at a bunch of commercial options, but they all seem to have usability problems.

I'm 3D printing all my own inserts and holders and so on, it saves incredible amounts of money.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

armorer posted:

I do this as well, but will add the caveat - *it saves incredible amounts of money but adds the expenses of both the 3d printer and time.

While this is true, given that some inserts cost as much or more than many games, it starts paying for itself rather quickly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I just checked my edition and it has an illustrator credit and thanks DXV for Dominion.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Magnetic North posted:

Which edition is that?

The first one, I think. Pre adding 2 extra chips.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Poopy Palpy posted:

The illustrator credited isn't Matthan, the BGG user who put Dominion on chips and designed the exact banners and iconography that ended up on Puzzle Strike. The thanks to DXV disappeared from revised Puzzle Strike rulebooks after he and Sirlin met, which went down like this:

That's pretty lovely. I was hoping this would be the mythical credit (removing it is, of course, still garbage).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Poopy Palpy posted:

I just got an email blast from David Sirlin promoting Puzzle Strike 2 and this first paragraph is pretty rich coming from a guy who used a picture of someone else's redesign of someone else's game as the starting point for his design:

I also got this and it's the first e-mail I ever got from that mailing list, I think. :tinfoil:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

!Klams posted:

I just finished the Sleeping Gods campaign. That game is great! Really compelling, really fun, just a beautiful experience. I wanna play it again and go see stuff I missed, but I feel like my wife will probably need a bit longer before she's keen to jump back in the boat. Anyone have any input about the expansion? It feels like it might be a great way to make playing it though again more palatable?

One full playthrough? Or multiple? A full session of 3 event decks goes on for much longer than I expected, not that that's bad per se, but with the constant lockdowns...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hi, Blockchain != Crypto

Kickstarter likely just uses blockchain to decentralize transactions so they can absolve themselves of liability for chargebacks / failed projects and facilitate pledge selling.

Unless you can point me to an exchange where Kickstarter is actually selling crypto.

Blockchain is also idiot garbage, it's a slower, append-only database, and it sure as gently caress won't be decentralized.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I was just looking at Aquanauts, which uses "bioplastic formed of crops, no oil products" for their (optional) minis.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We played.physical but used an Android app to track health and status stuff

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CommonShore posted:

the communication between me operating the app and my friends managing the analogue stuff means that everyone has access to the information.

The app we used networked everyone's phone for information sharing. Gloomhaven Helper, I think?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

armorer posted:

Buy a 3d printer and print/design your own inserts!

I feel very seen.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Slimy Hog posted:

I've thought about getting a 3d printer for board gaming stuff but I feel like I need a list of 50 things to justify one since the LAST time I had a 3d printer I barely used it.

http://homeskillet.org/bgg3dprints/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Radioactive Toy posted:

This was just such a funky and obtuse way of making this distinction. Note that this was prior to the announcement.

:actually:, :umberto:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Claim your free Bingo slot.

https://twitter.com/Superdillin/status/1492167439534202892

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I had one single interaction with this guy at Spiel when Powerboats was released and he was such an unpleasant, conceited piece of poo poo that I did not buy from him ever again. I can't say I'm surprised.

Truly a shame he couldn't hock his overpriced garbage ceramic minis at Spiel last year.

e: spoke to a friend who worked with him and he concurs.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 13, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

NmareBfly posted:

I've compressed a few games to be more portable -- like, I have 4 dominion sets all put together into one carrying case, and a lot of games expansions can be shoved in the original.

Is there a way I can make by brain believe it's okay to just throw away all the left over empty boxes?

I combine and discard the boxes (and possibly inlays, if bad or in the way) immediately.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Frozen Peach posted:

Cross-posting from the TG industry thread:

Phil Eklund is at it again with a long thread full of "definitions" for political viewpoints that are, in his opinion, undefined. So that's fun.

https://twitter.com/SeanFranco_/status/1493245292690485259

If I wanted to read an unhinged screed of this length I'd just go here.

It's text only, I swear.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Any thoughts on 51st State? The big box version on Gamefound has me interested.

I really like it, and it has one of my favorite thematic rules: if you change your leader, you must expend a bullet resource. It's like of a predecessor to Imperial Settlers, but I prefer 51st State nonetheless.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Whatever else you do in Charterstone, nobody play blue, and do NOT use the Automa under any circumstance.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

King Burgundy posted:

More details?

Blue had an unbeatable combo starting by like game 3 and continuing to the end.

The automa will screw your game over in multiple ways, but to name the most egregious one would be a massive spoiler.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mayveena posted:

Blizzard releasing Diablo 3 in its original state has to go down as the worst AAA game ever.

Not really the topic in this thread, but Anthem, Cyberpunk, Fallout 76 and multiple others have this beat handily.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

If you don't want to give abusive/NFT assholes money, Ubisoft is fighting for #1 with Activision/Square Enix (depending) in the video game space.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We played a year straight of Gloomhaven before Covid hit and the question when we finished the initial campaign was whether I'd bought the expansion yet (I have).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

snickles posted:

Anyone finished this or any of the other campaigns? Any thoughts or suggestions? I think I'll finish the Fall of Avalon regardless, but I understand the expansion campaigns are not as well done.

We're ignoring Menhir upkeep but are keeping the limit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

2.) What the gently caress is the point of a Big Box release that doesn't include all the expansion, particularly the extra players.

To extract more money from you for this bad game, same as every other Agricola-related release in the past 15 years.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

WhiteHowler posted:

I thought about doing this for Anno 1800, but after searching online, doing a full upgrade of all the tokens would cost more than I paid for the game.

So of course I started looking at $1000 3D printers... I am very smart, why do you ask?

No need to spend $1000+ when you can get e.g. a CR-10S Pro (or Pro V2), which is much cheaper and more than good enough at printing inserts. Here's some I printed this week at 0.28 ("draft" resolution) on the V2.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kerro posted:

I've got a 3d printer and I love it, but honestly I'm not sure it's that cost effective for making inserts

Possibly different in the US, but inserts here are insanely expensive, sometimes more expensive than the game they're for. I think my Gloomhaven insert (holds Circles) took up 1 kg of filament (€12-20) while the "pro" inserts are €100 to buy. Other ruinously expensive inserts include Scythe and Terraforming Mars. With those alone I've probably saved half the printer's cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sleeping Gods
7th Continent
This War of Mine