Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

the holy poopacy posted:

Everything I've seen from the designer has been that Danes will be standalone with new home boards, action boards, occupation cards, etc.
As someone who recently went all in on AFfO... poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I play some games solo but don't own any solo only games. I was tempted by the French resistance game and Final Girl but decided against both for one reason or another.

After all the Crokinole chat, and seeing that delivery on the Kickstarter is as much as the board itself, I decided to just buy Klask instead. My limited storage space will appreciate it and I'll probably play it more because of it being at least vaguely portable. Any opinions from the thread about it?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I'm definitely tempted by the Kickstarter for MIND MGMT but I want to avoid buying more games, especially deluxe Kickstarter stuff. I'm a fan of Whitehall Mystery and I'm interested in trying something crunchier that doesn't drag on for too long and this seems to fill that niche nicely. I will probably wait and hope I can get it from a retailer without paying through the nose though, then I have a degree of separation in terms of giving Kickstarter my money as well.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

A glowing SU&SD review means it's sold out everywhere. The last time this happened to me weirdly was with Whitehall Mystery and I ended up buying an Italian version for dirt cheap instead of waiting for a reprint. That seems less like a workable solution for this though.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Oh poo poo. I love Knizia and Ian O'Toole so this might be my jam. Do I have room for Modern Art, High Society AND Ra? Only time will tell!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I have a few vague Kickstarter regrets. I probably wouldn't buy Catacombs again given that it's more fiddly to set up then I'd like from that sort of game and Import/Export is difficult to get to the table and has all the Jordan Draper drama that goes along with it.

Pax Pamir, Root and Wavelength more than make up for their shortcomings though. The rest are games I'm happy to own but don't feel like vital additions to my collection yet. Maybe some can force their way in though since I do really like March of the Ants and Smartphone Inc but they need more plays first.

MIND MGMT might lure me back to Kickstarter because it looks very cool, but it's also ridiculously expensive (easily over £100 in the end) so I'll probably just wait and see if I can pick it up for half of that at retail.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

It has been out of stock in the UK for ages, not just since the SUSD review. When I say "wait for retail" I mean wait for it to be restocked. I assume that will be done alongside this Kickstarter reprint.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Posted this in the KS thread a few times, I think this will tickle a few peoples fancies

:siren: 15 hour warning on Illiterati.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gapclosergames/illiterati
I backed it for $1 and I'm planning on picking it up through the pledge manager. It looks interesting. Kickstarter still sucks but whatcha gonna do?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I have wanted to buy coin cases for Quacks for a while but never seem to find them cheap enough. I don't really want to double the value of the game by buying coin cases.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I'm really looking at picking up Unfathomable and I remember there being some useful stuff here. What are people's thoughts on the best/acceptable player counts? To me it feels like it should be 5-6 players, but does 4 work well too?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I caved and picked up Unfathomable. Time to learn it before my game day in a couple of weeks.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I might be showing my own ignorance here, but aren't golem stories generally focused around combating persecution? I can understand how that could cause some discomfort if people consider that aspect to have been sanitised.

More varied representation is something I always appreciate, not everything has to be trading in the Mediterranean, but I come from a position of privilege where I am rarely represented poorly or omitted. My ignorance also tends to mean that I would totally miss things like the totem poles mentioned earlier that could be offensive to others.

In other news, Unfathomable has arrived, I also missed my delivery of Canvas so I have a bunch of stuff for my next game days. I can't wait.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is Crew less good with 2?
I think you have to use a dummy hand to play with 2 which kind of detracts from the experience. I've only played with 3+ though.

I'd also say that Burgle Bros 2 isn't exactly small from a sprawl perspective. The box is small, but it can be more of a table hog than you might expect. It is fairly straightforward though.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

As someone who owns absolutely no Spirit Island stuff this seems like a perfect chance to go far too crazy and buy literally all of it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I wouldn't recommend this for a few reasons. You can buy the game and expansions now cheaper than MSRP and that campaign won't be delivered until 2024.

Alternatively, you could get the app now and wait for physical if you're down with that.
After following the link and seeing it doesn't even launch for ~4 months I'll probably just buy the base game and maybe one of the expansions now. I wish I'd paid closer attention to all the SI expansion chat now! Branch and Claw is much cheaper, but I'll do some googling to see what the difference is first.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

What was the problem with SUSD review? I don’t think I ever watched it or if I did it was a long rear end time ago
My main issue with it was that it completely ignored (or was oblivious to) the position of privilege it came from and sold in incredibly glowing terms (it was literally described as their favourite game, ever) an experience that most people won't get to partake in. The idea of having about a dozen very creative, heavily invested board gamer friends that you can share a game with multiple nights in a row over multiple weekends.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Eh, we never seem to question the privilege of being able to afford Gloomhaven, but a lot of people will never have the money to be able to partake in that experience either. But this thread has a lot more rich loners than it does poor socialites.

You don't need a bunch of "very creative, heavily invested board gamer" friends, you just need a dozen normal friends and a few bottles of wine.
Chip Theory gets plenty of stick for overpricing games in order to jazz up components for no real reason. Pretty much all hobbies require some kind of buy in and board games are no different with the same choices about how much buy in you want to give.

Being able to get a dozen friends together on a regular basis for board games is absolutely a huge privilege. I have to bust out meeting organising websites in order to get 4-5 people to pick a date for Blades in the Dark, getting 10-12 from a few different friend groups to find a common date seems virtually impossible without it being a major event like a birthday or a stag party etc. That's with me working in education with the summer coming up and free time becoming more readily available.

I won't get too in the weeds about "normal friends" or whatever, but I've played with normie friends and friends of friends who couldn't grasp The Crew, Avalon, Concordia etc which I'd say require far less buy in and investment that BotC.

All that being said, I'd love to play the game and was hoping I could check it out at UK Games Expo and I am looking at ways to try and organise an online game with friends during the summer. I just don't think whataboutisms regarding other forms of privilege in gaming or taking for granted the ability to have space and time for a gathering of about a dozen people willing to partake in a niche thing regularly really detracts from my argument that the review came from a highly privileged position but never referenced that limitation in the review 🤷‍♂️

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Got another escape puzzle game in the mail, some minis, and the etherfields cat mini expansion. How's everyone doing? Get any fun new games or got anything exciting on your radar?
I got Spirit Island and Branch and Claw. I haven't had a chance to really crack it open yet, let alone play it, but I am excited to give it a go sometime soon. Maybe the weekend will be a good opportunity.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

A quick Spirit Island question. How useful are the power progression cards? I'm having a game day with some friends and making the game easier to access by reducing some decisions would be pretty nice.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

TenTimesLessByOne posted:

The only negative we've had is that some combinations of dragon shops disincentivize advancing the game clock and make everything take much longer. We had more luck after adding strict timers on the mid-game turns.
We had this as well and ended up having to add a house rule to speed up the end game. It was a while ago but it was something to do with paying 2 goods to another player to receive 1 point or a coin. Compared to the other ways of scoring points that was very efficient so we ended up just passing around goods for points and never really playing enchantments or working our way through the dragon deck. We made it so you could only gift once per card of that type and things sped up pretty dramatically. I won't discount the idea that we were playing something wrong given the circumstances.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

silvergoose posted:

So, here's Bigney's first description of flamecraft on SVWAG:

"There's a particular type of mediocrity that inspires in me such rage and loathing that is beyond all proportions to the game's faults"

That's...that's about how I felt playing it.
That makes Bigney sound... kind of insufferable?

Feeling rage and loathing towards something that's average to play but pretty to look at is the type of overreaction that leads to the gnashing of teeth about Wingspan. Snobbery for the sake of self aggrandisement is kind of par for the course in the hobby space though so here we are.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I've played maybe four or five games of the Flamme Rouge single player variant and I have no idea how you win that without just being incredibly lucky. Played a game today due to power outage in a huge winter storm (thanks climate change) and I drew a single exhaustion card the entire game, was able to make a mad sprint at the end, and the peleton team still sprinted one step ahead of me. Ooooh frustrating.

Still one of my favourite games, and I'm very annoyed at how much I want to get Heat now, thanks SUSD.
And now I also have to buy Heat.

Flamme Rouge is the game that was the lightbulb moment for bringing me fully into the hobby and, along with Azul, is my most played game because it's so good with new people. I'm in the process of moving house so space is at a premium, but once things are settled and I have sorted out my current game collection I am pretty sure that will be the next thing that I buy for myself.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I feel shame that I don't have a splotter in my collection. The combo of the cost, weight and cut throat nature make me worry I'd never get it to the table enough to justify the expense. Pax Pamir has taught me that lesson. Yet here I am, still very much on the fence about buying Bus...

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I played the Arkham Horror card game yesterday. We managed to do the first 2 parts of the campaign that comes with the base game and we both enjoyed it a lot. Enough that there's already talk of picking up some of the expansions. Are there any that really stand out as being particularly good?

I think we played everything right but, using the standard difficulty, things felt pretty easy. After getting repeatedly destroyed by Mansions of Madness it does make me wonder if we missed something or were messing up the enemy phases somehow.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

You missed the third scenario.
We had a few things come up and we ran out of time so we are going to go back and finish the 3rd soon.

Phelddagrif posted:

The first two scenarios are relatively easy; the third one is much harder. That said, it's easy to get rules wrong without even knowing it. Aside from Rodney's rules video, you might check out Quick Learner, who's done a couple videos on rules tips and several on strategy. Team Covenant does excellent playthroughs, though they don't have any for the core box, so you might wait to watch them until you're into expansion content.

Of the expansions, I've enjoyed all the ones I've played so far. I know Dunwich Legacy is highly regarded, as it's the first major expansion and does a good job of expanding the mechanics and giving you new and interesting things to deal with. Carcosa was also a lot of fun. I personally enjoyed Forgotten Age, though it's definitely a lot tougher than the ones before it, and your investigators will get beat up early and often.
I am normally a stickler for knowing rules before I play so I plan on watching some videos/downloading the rulebook before we go back to it, deciding to play was kind of a last minute thing. Hopefully we didn't mess it up too much.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Dunwich.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I start a new job today, so last night I managed to play Illiterati with my partner to take my mind off the nerves. She's excellent at word games and very much carried us through. I enjoy the game a lot, although my sand timer seemed to not work very well at all so we ended up using my phone. I'm looking forward to giving it a few more plays.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I had a conversation the other day where someone asked me how many games I own. When I told them it was around 60 they asked why I have so many and aren't a lot of them the same. I tried to explain that it's like music and you wouldn't say 1 song from a genre is all you need, there's nuance and differences between them that make each one interesting. Anyway, all of this waffling is just to say that despite just having Illiterati arrive I have just ordered Paperback Adventures.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Another part of it is that board game players trend older as a demographic. Older often means more income and less time for hobbies/social opportunities, so buying a new game offers the “feeling” of engaging in your hobby, having a rule set to pore over and new trinkets to tinker with, despite that it will maybe never make it to the table.
I hate how squarely this hits the nail on the head.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Most of the co-op games me and my SO play together are fairly thematic (Pandemic: Iberia, The Grizzled, Under Falling Skies, escape room style games like the Exit series) so I don't have tons of suggestions.
Slightly off topic, but how is Under Falling Skies? I keep looking at it, in part because a solid solo game that I can play with my SO occasionally would fill a notable gap in my collection. Are there any other stand out solo games I should be aware of? I don't mean Spirit Island or A Feast for Odin, although I have played them more solo than with friends :eng99:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I have a Spirit Island night set up with some work colleagues who like the base game and are interested in getting an expansion. I have Jagged Earth so we're going to play and let them take a look at it. I've never actually played with the expansion myself but seem to remember people being luke warm on the events card. It should be a good night either way and I'll probably just use the events to give the full effect, but is there a reason they're not very highly regarded? Is it just the addition of randomness to the game?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Thanks for all the quick feedback. I'm looking forward to testing out the events when we play.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Splicer posted:

I'm thinking of grabbing sub terra for spooky month. A) is it good, B) is it spooky, C) does it work well for two players, and D) is there any quarterback mitigation other than my wife threatening to punch me in the nuts.
I've been invited to a games night to play Sub Terra 2: Volcano Boogaloo so based on my quick skim through the rules it doesn't seem to have much mitigation for quarterbacking. A small number of actions without much in the way of personal powers. It also didn't seem that spooky but I can't say for certain.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

rydiafan posted:

80% of my posts are probably recommending Hey! That's My Fish! because it's a perfect game, especially for people who like Tsuro. The rules are simple as hell, the game is fast as hell, and, when you're ready, the strategy gets deep/cutthroat as hell.
Well I totally buckled and ordered That's my Fish! It was like £12 so worth a shot. Speaking of shots, I also added Long Shot to my basket because I apparently have too much space in my house.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

CaptainApathyUK posted:

If you have access to a 3D printer or someone who can do it for you, I'd heavily recommend one of the board grid things available for HTMF. It makes both setup and the collecting of tiles during the game pretty trivial, when normally they're a pain in the arse.
Thanks for the tip. I can get printing done for me so I'll take a look for a suitable file.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Jolo posted:

If this is the Dice Game of Long Shot, my friends and I really like that one. We can never remember what it's called, it's always "the horse racing game."
Yeah, it's the dice game. Having a game that is fun to play and scales up to 8 people is a nice bonus. Plus, it's tiny.

LifeLynx posted:

I've played the hell out of Spirit Island solo and I hated the app on mobile and PC. It does a good job at representing the game, as far as I can tell, but it's a game where I need to play out what will or might happen in front of me or I'll get paralyzed by indecision.
Yeah, the app and even the tabletop simulator didn't really land for me. Having it in front of me really made a big difference. Maybe it's a mentality thing.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I have played JoCo once, with goons, on tabletop simulator. It was a really good time and the game wasn't too difficult to play once you've had a quick run through. It definitely felt like a game for a niche of a niche though so it would never see my physical table which is something of a shame. If I was going to buy one game that would struggle to get played regularly due to having a fun time playing it online with goons I'd still go with Brass: Brum ahead of JoCo. Very, very different games, but I might actually get some people to play the latter and it's also incredible.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I was a "sleeve everything all the time" kind of person, in part because I play games with some careless people whilst eating/drinking. I also play in some dirty places like bars etc. I've moved more towards "sleeve what matters". Is the game expensive? I'll probably sleeve it regardless, even if it takes forever. Looking at you, Pax Rug. Will I shuffle the cards a lot? Getting sleeved, Flamme Rouge says hello. Does it make a difference if the card gets marked in some way? Also getting sleeved. This ends up being a pretty large number of games so I'm kind of glad I invested in like 2,000 decent enough sleeves. I also enjoy sleeving cards as a chill meditative activity, but I feel like that says more about my social life than anything else.

Speaking of social lives!
We had our biweekly games night this evening. We focused on shorter, lighter games this week.

Hey That's My Fish
A great recommendation, playing with 4 people made for some interesting times. The first game was friendly with limited deliberate cut offs taking place. The 2nd game was far meaner. This was quick fire game night though so onto the next game.

Bang! The Dice Game
Good enough fun. Seems like it would be better with more people, but hidden role games gonna hidden role. The dice can make it tough to do what you'd ideally like to and I suck at Yahtzee. Game seems fine though.

Detective Club
It turns out I really like lying to my friends faces for no real reason. Don't read too much into that or anything. Just a quirk in my own character that boardgames have helped to accentuate. I really like hiding from them as well, but we didn't play any hidden movement games this evening.

Flamme Rouge
The couple we play with recently bought Heat (they got it the same weekend I fought really hard to talk myself out of buying it, so I'm calling that a win), I mentioned Flamme Rouge before so thought they'd like a comparison. They had only played Heat with 2, but preferred Flamme Rouge. I'm hoping to give Heat a try next time and form my own opinion.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I play Skull using whatever random cards I have to hand. Often that's Cockroach Poker or regular cards. I really should just buy a copy though, it's much nicer.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Time for the biweekly game night update!

Heat:
As a huge fan of Flamme Rouge I was excited to try Heat and I enjoyed it a lot. We did one lap of basic rules, then added weather for the second lap which seemed like a decent enough option to add variety to the tracks without the faff of sorting out the jigsaw pieces like in Flamme Rouge. The overall mechanics are solid with a nice hint of gambling with the stress cards and push your luck with the heat allowance. It's very satisfying to build up a bunch of heat, get just the right draw to let you drop down the gears, dump the heat back into your engine whilst keeping pace with your rivals, before shifting back up to wreck the car all over again. The biggest bonus is the numbers telling you how far you are from a corner though so the game doesn't devolve into the high stakes race game of counting squares. I finished second by a couple of spaces after getting unlucky with a stress draw whereas my rival hit the big numbers. These things happen. We're planning a Grand Prix type deal with the bonus engine parts at some point.

Chai:
After high intensity racing it was time for a spot of tea to settle down. It was pretty pleasant, but the race to complete orders adds some nice tempo to proceedings. The market mechanic is pretty cool, with the ability to take some ingredients in order to connect others when they slide down to let you get more bang for your buck is neat. I do not have the spacial awareness to really excel at that, but I still managed to eek out a win by overpaying to complete some big customer orders and then forcing the tempo by completing simple orders to not let people gazzump me. A bit like Azul, the tactile pieces are a good selling point. Speaking of Azul...

Azul:
I just love this game. Simple rules, great design, satisfying strategy and you get to irritate your friends sometimes. It's the ultimate gateway game in my opinion as well as the perfect opener/closer to a night of heavier games. I'm pretty certain it is by far my most played game.

We have Whitehall Mystery and Quacks of Quedlinberg lined up for next time, with Steampunk Rally (maybe fusion, I can't remember) and Taverns of Tiefenthal set for an appearance soon.

It's really nice to have met a couple who are as excited to showcase their collection as I am, so we're really whipping through the games. I plan on scheduling in a Sherlock Holmes type evening soon to give my partner something that's a bit more her cup of tea. We've previously enjoyed Cryptic Killers where you receive a case file and have to solve a crime so I think Consulting Detective will scratch a similar itch. I also might grab some escape rooms in a box to drop in occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

UHOH, HERE WE GO AGAIN

It's just a hilariously expensive DELUXE edition of a game that I'm genuinely curious who it's aimed at. I own the base and expansion, have a nice wooden organiser that sort of works, (I think?) I have a non-cardboard accordion thing, and made up some laminated achievement cards.

All together I probably spent ~$300 on everything. But this just seems another level. So would someone who has never played before take the plunge if they've got disposable income burning a hole in their pocket? Or is this for someone who played a few times and liked it so much they're going balls deep with this new and cool version? Or would there be some lunatics in my boat that say YOLO and want the shiny new thing? I don't know. My issue is that I just don't know if what I'm seeing is actually nicer or better. It's just so so much money on two games.
As someone who is very interested in playing FCM, I'm not at all interested in paying that price for the privilege. Not even for fancy bits and bobs.