Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got Spirit Island through secret santa this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmao. Did you play with people who knew the game already? That’s so rude of them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MikeCrotch posted:

Had a bad experience with Spirit Island like this on NYE

Something similar here, though also bad judgement on my part. I brought Spirit Island to a friend, and was pretty new at it myself. I expected that the two of them would pick up on the game pretty easily, but 3p SI is a lot bigger than 1p, so I didn't do the best job at explaining it either since I definitely had to look up some interactions myself. I absolutely love the game, but it was pretty clear that they were having a tough time (they're not used to bigger games like this either). Sucks, should have brought Wingspan. The booze didn't help.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kalko posted:

Spirit Island Trip Report: I set it up in new player mode and picked the lightning dude and promptly lost three games in a row. Wow, this game is pretty hard! So I tried ditching the recommended power progression cards for a few games and it felt like I was doing better, but I still kept losing. So I looked online to see if I was playing any rules incorrectly and nope, looks like I had everything sorted. And people on BGG and Reddit were saying they found the tutorial easy!

I did find some errata about adding an additional blight token at the start, so I did that but it still didn't help. And then I noticed something on my character board...

I cannot believe I overlooked that the entire time, but I won pretty easily on the next game. I like it, will play again.

Lmao.

I played shadows flicker like flame because he looked cool. My friend played the stone dude. Yeah, we didn’t really have the offense to get back in the game after slacking off for a few turns.

Since then I’ve played the steam game a ton, and I adore the game now that I’m better at it. I feel like I can just play spirit island forever, its in the same tier as Odin for me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MikeCrotch posted:

Spirit Island is extremely accurate in that it depicts the English as being the worst and most annoying of all people

It’s definitely the French for me

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Damage control

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Crackbone posted:

I mean what else do you want from them? It said “we hosed up, our moderation didn’t work, we’re going to rethink what’s going on”.

Actually list some concrete steps they’re going to take, for one. But they don’t actually care, they just dislike the community backlash

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The game itself is fun, but I’m an incredibly big fan of the theming behind it. The spirits really capture that animism-style eldritch god vibe. Lovecraft but without the racism.

As for AFfO, I’ve got the base set—the expansion(s?) are pretty much impossible to get. FCM was easier to get than The Norwegians.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don’t think there is a better worker placement than Odin

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hi, Blockchain != Crypto

Nobody cares idiot

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
His goal was to derail with crypto bro bullshit and you’re helping him achieve that by being a pedant

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Threadban Leperflesh

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Shadows flicker like flame is strong enough to win solo, but yeah I thought it was rather weak in the 3p games I played. It just needs a little help early on though, and if you land a good major power (which you can using your inherent powers) you quickly become a monster at pushing people around. If you then have push synergy like ocean... yeah.

Cosmic encounter is a bad game mechanics wise, but god is it still my favorite beer and pretzels loving around game. It's so luck based that really anyone can win, and also so overtly luck based that you can not care about losing. It's entirely carried by the aliens, the funny background blurbs, and the stupid bullshit cards though. I'll always play it if someone pulls it out of the cupboard but putting it at #1 doesn't really make me think your list is a list of mechanically sound and fun board games

That list would have a feast for odin at #1, obviously

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I was burned on the steamforged dark souls game but at least it was an okay beer and pretzels game

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the haunt where youre all shrunk by a witch and have to flee from the witch's cat inside tiny RC airplanes is the best

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

CommonShore posted:

E.g. if your choice is Scythe or Talisman, what do you pick?

Fluxx

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don’t want to play a single game with half an hour to an hour of setup every week again sorry

It’s ‘good’ but it’s not good enough for that

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dr. Lunchables posted:

This thread is perpetually one of the worst and most insufferable to read in all of TG. Just answer questions and try not be a gatekeeper you awful dorks.

Get out noob

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thanks for posting about a new Root expansion, it's on my list now

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Website says root marauders will hit retail late q3

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The way I look at it is that extras give you an edge over other listings, but buyers know that you’re not going to be able to move most extras by themselves, so don’t expect a huge premium.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
jesus christ just one week without this bull poo poo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Fluxxx is a better hand management game than feast for odin

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Anyone else getting the cosmic encounter campaign game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cosmic encounter isn’t a good game but it’s fun, it’s like the pizza at a pizza night